BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

12-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #881
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.
I personally would be asking/demanding an extension of warranty to at least 7 years and 100K miles too...or something similar. This car will have diminished value if somebody pulls service history.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #882
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
Quote:
Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.
I personally would be asking/demanding an extension of warranty to at least 7 years and 100K miles too...or something similar. This car will have diminished value if somebody pulls service history.
Agree. An NDA I signed prevents me from saying why I think this is a good idea, but it is.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
gohawks23426.00
      12-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #883
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
It’s a lease, but I agree. There should be some concessions made here. I’m waiting to see what my “fix” is before going down the escalation route.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #884
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
It’s a lease, but I agree. There should be some concessions made here. I’m waiting to see what my “fix” is before going down the escalation route.
If it's a lease, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll never own it outside of the warranty.

I had my engine replaced on my F80 after about a year, never had a problem after that.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #885
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's better but I'd still ask for as it totally tarnishes your opportunity to purchase at lease end if so desired...to keep or cash in on equity, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 05:35 PM   #886
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's better but I'd still ask for as it totally tarnishes your opportunity to purchase at lease end if so desired...to keep or cash in on equity, etc.
Def. There will be a case opened at some point but I feel as though it’s premature. Once I find out what the fix is (i.e., simple bearing swap vs. total engine replacement), I’ll determine what I’m doing.
Appreciate 1
gohawks23426.00
      12-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #887
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Def. There will be a case opened at some point but I feel as though it’s premature. Once I find out what the fix is (i.e., simple bearing swap vs. total engine replacement), I’ll determine what I’m doing.
I hear ya but would be signaling intentions earlier than later...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #888
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

My entire engine of x4m had to be taken out and just two main bearings were replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:18 PM   #889
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
My entire engine of x4m had to be taken out and just two main bearings were replaced.
How long did the process take?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #890
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Quote:
How long did the process take?
7 days total. I cancelled the car just asked the GM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #891
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
7 days total. I cancelled the car just asked the GM
Gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #892
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today's am update:

TSE submitted photos of the bearing on Friday. (Not sure who these photos get sent to, but assume its higher ups at BMW M engineering). The TSE has been advised that they now need to pull the oil pump and check the crankshaft and submit additional pictures.

My SA says this is the most up to date info he has.

I can't even imagine what my car looks like right now.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #893
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Today's am update:

TSE submitted photos of the bearing on Friday. (Not sure who these photos get sent to, but assume its higher ups at BMW M engineering). The TSE has been advised that they now need to pull the oil pump and check the crankshaft and submit additional pictures.

My SA says this is the most up to date info he has.

I can't even imagine what my car looks like right now.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #894
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today's afternoon update:

TSE confirms engine replacement needed. Here we go.

For those of you who are in (or may be in) my situation, I'd suggest you contact your SAs asap.

(Yes, I am serious).

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #895
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:

For those of you who are in (or may be in) my situation, I'd suggest you contact your SAs asap.

(Yes, I am serious).

Thats good right? Wouldn't a whole new engine be better than one thats been taken apart? I guess the only downside is the wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #896
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Thats good right? Wouldn't a whole new engine be better than one thats been taken apart? I guess the only downside is the wait.
Yea; its great. I'll continue to pay for my car and see it when the LCI's come out since that's when my motor will likely arrive from Germany.

Oh and then go through the 1200 mile break in again.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #897
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:

(Yes, I am serious).

Ohhhh no….exactly what I was afraid of.

You should contact bmw corporate. No way you should be paying the car while you wait for an engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #898
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Ohhhh no….exactly what I was afraid of.

You should contact bmw corporate. No way you should be paying the car while you wait for an engine.
I already did.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:48 PM   #899
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
I already did.
Why wouldn't they just put the car back together and let you drive it while you wait for an engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #900
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Quote:

(Yes, I am serious).

Man...I'm so sorry to hear that. Makes me afraid to take mine in. You definitely should not have to pay monthly while the vehicle is down. Are you going to reach out to BMW USA? They should hold payments and extend lease terms if the vehicle is down for 1mo or more. I'm calling my SA now to consult. Thanks for the continued updates. We've all been waiting to get to this point. However, I would rather a complete swap v teardown with crank out and reassembly though. I heard the motors drop out fairly easy. Fricking nightmare. I hope they make it right.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #901
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Why wouldn't they just put the car back together and let you drive it while you wait for an engine?
I tried that already. No dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjanisse View Post
Man...I'm so sorry to hear that. Makes me afraid to take mine in. You definitely should not have to pay monthly while the vehicle is down. Are you going to reach out to BMW USA? They should hold payments and extend lease terms if the vehicle is down for 1mo or more. I'm calling my SA now to consult. Thanks for the continued updates. We've all been waiting to get to this point. However, I would rather a complete swap v teardown with crank out and reassembly though. I heard the motors drop out fairly easy. Fricking nightmare. I hope they make it right.
I have reached out to BMWNA. I agree, at a minimum, I should not be expected to continue to pay for the lease while my car is down. Who knows how long this is gonna be with the supply chain mess.
Appreciate 1
gohawks23426.00
      01-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #902
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried that already. No dice.

I have reached out to BMWNA. I agree, at a minimum, I should not be expected to continue to pay for the lease while my car is down. Who knows how long this is gonna be with the supply chain mess.
I would think your case is pretty high priority...maybe an engine is moving for you already!
Appreciate 0