BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

12-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #859
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

So as we all know, the poster stating in another thread this was only impacting MT cars is not correct. I just got off the phone with my SA who called to schedule the service for the recall on my M3 comp.

He was looking at the diagnostic while on the phone and his words were "surgery, but it doesn't look to be too bad." From his understanding, its not a full engine pull. His review indicates its an oil pan drop which will make the inspection (and repair if needed) possible.

He also stated they inspect first as not every car identified by BMW will need to be fixed.

The tech will be a BMW M certified master tech (whatever that means I know it shouldn't mean a low level tech).

He also said he expects me to have my car back within a week.

My car is set to go in for surgery on 12/27/21. I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 4
kjx3162.50
SintAFM208.00
      12-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #860
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
So as we all know, the poster stating in another thread this was only impacting MT cars is not correct. I just got off the phone with my SA who called to schedule the service for the recall on my M3 comp.

He was looking at the diagnostic while on the phone and his words were "surgery, but it doesn't look to be too bad." From his understanding, its not a full engine pull. His review indicates its an oil pan drop which will make the inspection (and repair if needed) possible.

He also stated they inspect first as not every car identified by BMW will need to be fixed.

The tech will be a BMW M certified master tech (whatever that means I know it shouldn't mean a low level tech).

Scary!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #861
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Scary!!!!!
Lol. What choice do I have? Should I run and sell my car? It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #862
M3fanNJ
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Quote:

I believe BMW will take good care of your car, and hopefully it will not be anything too serious. I hope they offered you a good loaner! Did your "recall" ever show up on any official U.S. BMW recall site? Thanks for the updated information...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #863
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3fanNJ View Post
I believe BMW will take good care of your car, and hopefully it will not be anything too serious. I hope they offered you a good loaner! Did your "recall" ever show up on any official U.S. BMW recall site? Thanks for the updated information...
My recall showed on the tool that's floating around here, but it still doesn't show on BMW's website. When I went in for my 1200 mile service, my SA showed me on his screen as well.

He said the best loaner they have right now is a 5 series, so I guess that's what I'll be getting. I asked for a B8 Alpina...
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #864
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol. What choice do I have? Should I run and sell my car? It is what it is.
Zero’…did you get a letter or you got called for it?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #865
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Zero’…did you get a letter or you got called for it?
Phone call from my SA.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #866
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Phone call from my SA.
Ah ok. When I took mines they only said no parts yet. I’ll let them hunt me down 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #867
PNWJeff
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

So, I received a call back from a BMW Case manager (via BMW Genius) a few moments ago from an escalation I requested last week. Short answer, is BMW's Technical Services Team had a resolution for the "main bearing shell recall" on 11/28 and for some reason did not issue a formal bulletin until 12/3. That bulletin included the part(s) needed to resolve the associated problem and its up to the BMW dealership to order the part(s) in question. In my situation, they were ordered on 12/4 - simply waiting for confirmation from the dealer on part arrival. Thrilled to see some movement on this - disappointed at the lack of transparency from BMW over the past two months.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #868
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
Quote:
I just checked the tool and mine shows"0011240600" as well.
Mine finally shows a 'no recall recall. But different number... 0061230600
I have the same 0061230600 code. Curious if you've had your break in service yet? I haven't had mine yet (only at around 650 miles) but keep getting notices that I have an upcoming service (break in) required. Wonder if that could be the code?
Potential update on this code. I received a call to schedule my service. Thinking this was related to my 1,200 mile service, I ignored it for the last week and a half since I'm only at 650 miles. Got around to calling back today. Was told there's a battery insert recall that needs to be checked out. Might be a 15 minute "check and see" or could take a few hours. No clue what this actually is, as the appointment scheduler was clueless.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #869
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4rfR4t View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the same boat as you with a delivered car that may be affected by this recall. I have learned to just enjoy the car as is and if something happens it is under warranty.
Exactly. I'm really impressed so far. Very capable car. Another member posted the solution is an oil pan drop v pulling the motor which is even more encouraging. I'm going to let the techs sort through a number of repairs before I bring my car in. Service Manager also sstated some vehicles will be inspected with pan off and if no issues then no repairs. I'm honestly not sweating it much anymore. Glad we share the same perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #870
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Apparently there is a car(not manual by the looks of it) that had a msg on i-drive saying that needs the affected bearing shells replaced due to manufacturing defect. It's on official BMW G80 fb discussion and marketplace group.
Attached Images

Last edited by DimM3; 12-14-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      12-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #871
Alex_Bond
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Garage List
DimM3 thank you for pictures. Code description for 0011240600 updated in the tool.

Tdubb88 thank you for the confirmation of the description of 0061230600. Warning removed from the tool.
Appreciate 2
Tdubb88187.00
DimM3302.00
      12-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #872
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I dropped my car off this am for the main bearing shell recall. Apparently there are 6 possible bearing shells that need to be replaced, but my car only has 1 that appears to be impacted. They will be inspecting all others however.

He said they have a list of VINs. He didn't tell me how many cars are on it, but he said its quite extensive.

SA confirmed my parts are in and he anticipates having my car back to me this week. He said he'll get me an update as soon as he has one and he hopes its before mid-week. The only thing he guaranteed me was that I will not have my car back today (obviously).

I'll update once I know more.

Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
Limegrntaln13017.00
      12-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #873
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I dropped my car off this am for the main bearing shell recall. Apparently there are 6 possible bearing shells that need to be replaced, but my car only has 1 that appears to be impacted. They will be inspecting all others however.

He said they have a list of VINs. He didn't tell me how many cars are on it, but he said its quite extensive.

SA confirmed my parts are in and he anticipates having my car back to me this week. He said he'll get me an update as soon as he has one and he hopes its before mid-week. The only thing he guaranteed me was that I will not have my car back today (obviously).

Would love to see that list….
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #874
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Quote:

Thanks for the update. My parts are on order. I'm anxious to hear the outcome. Hoping for the best outcome for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #875
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjanisse View Post
Thanks for the update. My parts are on order. I'm anxious to hear the outcome. Hoping for the best outcome for you.
I am very interested in the outcome as well, I am scheduled for January 31st. Spoke with the services manager at BMW of Ridgefield and from what he read on the BMW service bulletin is that this process is very similar to the F80 recall. He said they have done many F80 rear main bearing seals with no issues. This is slightly more reassuring to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #876
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's my Wednesday (non)update for you.

Checked my 360 remote cameras. Car is still sitting in the parking lot at the dealer.

I reach out to SA. He texts me saying "good news...the car is being worked on, bad news...it won't be ready by new years."

I respond and let him know I know that's not accurate and the car is not being worked on as its sitting in the parking lot and I send a screen shot back of the camera picture. I also tell him I want a better loaner (which he promised) as I'm in a base 3 series.

He says he misspoke as they had to open a TSARA case for the tech, which is in process and they're waiting on the TSE to come in. He did say he'll swap my loaner.

I'm not annoyed I won't get my car back this week (well slightly) since I expected that. What I am annoyed about is the bullshit. Don't lie dude - just give me the correct info. I'm not some idiot that doesn't know what's what.

That's all for today folks.

EDIT: no less than 2 minutes after posting this, the SA texts me letting me know the TSE is at the dealer and the car is being pulled in! Lol.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 12-29-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mcc420473.50
      12-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #877
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Here's my Wednesday (non)update for you.

Checked my 360 remote cameras. Car is still sitting in the parking lot at the dealer.

I reach out to SA. He texts me saying "good news...the car is being worked on, bad news...it won't be ready by new years."

I respond and let him know I know that's not accurate and the car is not being worked on as its sitting in the parking lot and I send a screen shot back of the camera picture. I also tell him I want a better loaner (which he promised) as I'm in a base 3 series.

He says he misspoke as they had to open a TSARA case for the tech, which is in process and they're waiting on the TSE to come in. He did say he'll swap my loaner.

I'm not annoyed I won't get my car back this week (well slightly) since I expected that. What I am annoyed about is the bullshit. Don't lie dude - just give me the correct info. I'm not some idiot that doesn't know what's what.

That's all for today folks.

EDIT: no less than 2 minutes after posting this, the SA texts me letting me know the TSE is at the dealer and the car is being pulled in! Lol.
Ugh, everybody a liar these days from presidents on down! PS, most people are clueless idiots tho...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #878
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed on both fronts.
Appreciate 1
gohawks23423.00
      12-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #879
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.
Appreciate 1
Alex_Bond229.50
      12-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #880
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.
Good for you by standing up to that SA…

This is why I’m holding till the end….I’m not even sure if I’m still affected by it.
Appreciate 0