home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #397
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Stock 825M's with Sottozero's, no issues with traction or anything. Only difference I'm noticed is the steering feels noticeably lighter.
Attached Images

csayad416.50
      12-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #398
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Finally got my winter wheel set.

VMR 801 19" square setup

I like them. They remind me of style 826M
Looking good -- and you're right: for the uninitiated, they're dead ringers for the 826M rims.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #399
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

Put my winter setup on today. MSW 50 with Vredestein tires. After I swapped them and drove for a bit the car detected the tire swap. Also saw in the settings you can change it from summer to Winter/AS tires so I did that too. Thought I’d share since I don’t remember seeing anyone else posting about that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
barryc3651953.00
disancke142.00
      12-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #400
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
Put my winter setup on today. MSW 50 with Vredestein tires. After I swapped them and drove for a bit the car detected the tire swap. Also saw in the settings you can change it from summer to Winter/AS tires so I did that too. Thought I’d share since I don’t remember seeing anyone else posting about that.
Thanks for the tip, Hawkdog. Sharp-looking M4, BTW (though perhaps I'm biased).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #401
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Stock 825M's with Sottozero's, no issues with traction or anything. Only difference I'm noticed is the steering feels noticeably lighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
I have a twin! Pm me your number!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #402
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Finally got the VMR V801s. Michelin PA5's are waiting at Costco. Hopefully get them installed this weekend. I like how they look!
Got them from kevin@eas btw.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #403
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

need some help

i just got my sottozero 3s installed and having some issues or maybe not..

seems like every time i press the pedal hard, my traction control cuts on, dont have this problem on my 911 or panamera so wondering if this is normal on BMWs (BTW I have a bmw m4 xdrive). Just want to make sure tire rack sent me the correct tires and what PSI people are running. (i saw some people post 35, so i set 35 all around). i tired driving around on mdm and traction off, but seems pretty sketch as it does feel like its losing traction

If the tires are correct and this is normal, no worries, ill just dump some lead out of my foot till summer, but just wanted to make sure the tires are correct, thanks for any help

BTW i noticed when adjust the tire monitoring, they dont have the correct rear size, it says 2753519 (the only option), which is the front tire, not sure if others have had this issue either. thanks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #404
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Got VMR V801 installed with Michelin PA-5 at Costco today. After some initial hesitation questions about the fitment (I assured them I had done my homework and this was the right setup) the guys at Costco did a great job.

Wheel is V801 19x9.5 ET25 Anthracite sourced from kevin@eas (forum sponsor)
https://europeanautosource.com/catal...801-wheel-set/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      12-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #405
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Got VMR V801 installed with Michelin PA-5 at Costco today. After some initial hesitation questions about the fitment (I assured them I had done my homework and this was the right setup) the guys at Costco did a great job.

Wheel is V801 19x9.5 ET25 Anthracite sourced from kevin@eas (forum sponsor)
https://europeanautosource.com/catal...801-wheel-set/
Looks great! I got a different square 19 VMR winter set-up from Kevin, and am loving them.

Just curious, how tight is your inner suspension clearance up front? At +22 offset, my VMRs have 3mm less offset than yours, and with the thick rim protection on my Vred. Wintrac Pro snows, the clearance is fine (but at the limit of what I'd feel comfortable with).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #406
S@v3f3rris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80M4ROCKS View Post
need some help

seems like every time i press the pedal hard, my traction control cuts on, dont have this problem on my 911 or panamera so wondering if this is normal on BMWs (BTW I have a bmw m4 xdrive). Just want to make sure tire rack sent me the correct tires and what PSI people are running. (i saw some people post 35, so i set 35 all around). i tired driving around on mdm and traction off, but seems pretty sketch as it does feel like its losing traction

If the tires are correct and this is normal, no worries, ill just dump some lead out of my foot till summer, but just wanted to make sure the tires are correct, thanks for any help

BTW i noticed when adjust the tire monitoring, they dont have the correct rear size, it says 2753519 (the only option), which is the front tire, not sure if others have had this issue either. thanks again
I had this issue in November.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28274862

I think it was the combo of brand new winter tires, air temps in the 50s/60s and a ton of hp/torque that contributed to traction control kicking on.

Hasn't happened as much as I've gotten more miles on the tires and it has been colder. I run 32psi up front and 35psi rear. Also, in the tire setup menu, I think it has something like other/winter tire selected since I am running 20s on the rear.

Lately I have been going with regular 4wd mode and only switch over to MDM by choice and not because DSC is taking power off.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #407
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Looks great! I got a different square 19 VMR winter set-up from Kevin, and am loving them.

Just curious, how tight is your inner suspension clearance up front? At +22 offset, my VMRs have 3mm less offset than yours, and with the thick rim protection on my Vred. Wintrac Pro snows, the clearance is fine (but at the limit of what I'd feel comfortable with).
I just checked and looks like there's sufficient clearance. I did not feel any issues on my short drive home but perhaps spacers to bring it to the stock offset would be a good idea.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #408
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Added 12mm spacers front and back. Looks much better and I also feel better about the clearance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #409
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Added 12mm spacers front and back. Looks much better and I also feel better about the clearance.
Looks great! Very cool winter set-up.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #410
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
need some help

Something doesn't sound right. I wonder would the wrong sensor be sending a bad signal or something making it cut out?

I don't lose traction at all in this weather even when hammering it on my winters (Alpin 5)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #411
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
How much did you end up spending if you don't mind sharing ?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #412
S@v3f3rris
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
need some help

Something doesn't sound right. I wonder would the wrong sensor be sending a bad signal or something making it cut out?

I don't lose traction at all in this weather even when hammering it on my winters (Alpin 5)
Update on Sottozeros. Picking up relatives from the airport on a warm Xmas eve. Air temps 56. Tire temps 75-80. DSC coming on at highway speeds when accelerating from 65 mph. Switched to MDM 4wd and noticing wheel spin w/ firm acceleration. I think the sensors are fine and DSC is sensing correctly. These tires are just super soft when it gets warm.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #413
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@v3f3rris View Post
Update on Sottozeros. Picking up relatives from the airport on a warm Xmas eve. Air temps 56. Tire temps 75-80. DSC coming on at highway speeds when accelerating from 65 mph. Switched to MDM 4wd and noticing wheel spin w/ firm acceleration. I think the sensors are fine and DSC is sensing correctly. These tires are just super soft when it gets warm.
Given those conditions, I’m not surprised by traction control kicking in. Winter tires are built to operate at colder temperatures AND handle ice and snow. They should feel less planted out of corners and during hard acceleration, particularly when it’s 50+ outside.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 01:38 PM   #414
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Very happy with the BMW set for winter. I think they look awesome, and due to timing (delivery yesterday) they'll be what I roll on through break-in.

I haven't put too many KMs on them yet, but going out for a little drive today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
ando2000.50
luckylingy3232.00
Llarry15383.50
kurosagi1123.00
      01-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #415
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Snow, sunshine and mountains .. looks like a pretty part of Canada, evilalen.
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      01-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #416
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
Quote:
Given those conditions, I’m not surprised by traction control kicking in. Winter tires are built to operate at colder temperatures AND handle ice and snow. They should feel less planted out of corners and during hard acceleration, particularly when it’s 50+ outside.
My take was going to be the temps too. You don't really even want winters on until the temp is capping out in the low 40s. At those high a temperature winters lose performance similar to how a summer will lose performance in the cold. The rubber composition just won't properly grip the road. I'd be curious if the problem still exists when it's <30-40 degrees out.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #417
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I'm torn between Scylla and Charybdis at this point.

I've decided to purchase a set of 826M's in 19" for the rear, but the main concern is officially tyre choice since having 19's all around opens up a few more possibilities vs the stock 19/20.

I'm currently torn between a square set of VikingContact 7's, and Alpin PA4's. Basically, do I want to go for performance winters, or do I go for studless snow & ice.

I'm in Westchester N.Y. but frequently drive to the Bronx and sometimes LI. The roads range anywhere between completely clear, to icy death (the part of the Bronx I frequent doesn't get ploughed often and my old folks' driveway/area is seldom shovelled). I don't particularly care for spirited driving as my main objective driving during the winter/snow is getting from point A to B safely and securely, sometimes with my 7 month old daughter, but there is a need to be able to manoeuvre because of garbage drivers that are everywhere. So I don't care too much that Alpin 4/5, Sottozero, and Blizzaks (the non WS90 at least) will handle better per sé. I did however, read that studless snow/ice tyres actually don't grip as well in completely dry pavement above a certain temperature? I suspect 85% of the time I drive, the roads will be fine, but the last thing I want is to be stuck that one time the roads are bad on performance winters, or look for grip on dry roads while on studless snow/ice tyres. Can anyone shed light on the grip on dry pavement on studless snow/ice tyres?

I had a set of Alpin PA4's on my old GT3 and they were pretty good, but when I think about my family now - I don't care for the performance aspect at all and just want the tyre that'll keep me/us safest.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #418
S@v3f3rris
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
Quote:
Given those conditions, I'm not surprised by traction control kicking in. Winter tires are built to operate at colder temperatures AND handle ice and snow. They should feel less planted out of corners and during hard acceleration, particularly when it's 50+ outside.
My take was going to be the temps too. You don't really even want winters on until the temp is capping out in the low 40s. At those high a temperature winters lose performance similar to how a summer will lose performance in the cold. The rubber composition just won't properly grip the road. I'd be curious if the problem still exists when it's <30-40 degrees out.
Last two days have been 35-45 degrees as a high. On my shorter highway trips, no DSC interference in regular 4WD the few times I opened the car up. Tire temps were below 60 when fully warmed up and running.
Appreciate 1