BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

01-16-2022, 01:13 AM   #1
T3F
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

AWD G8x Alternatives

Hey all,

I figured I'd start this thread for two reasons:
1. When buying a car, we all consider multiple models, but it's hard to test drive everything, let alone get a good impression from a short test drive when a salesperson is breathing down your neck.
2. Waitlists for the G8x are getting really long, to the point where nothing is available on lots and orders placed now will most often take close to a year (or more) to be delivered, and some of us either can't wait or don't have the patience to.

I also made it specifically for AWD alternatives, as that's something that's crucial to me, and a lot of the more natural comparisons (e.g., Giulia Quadrifoglio, CT4-V, C63, etc.) only concern RWD cars and already have threads.

Here are the vehicles I've considered, as well as any applicable driving impressions (I haven't driven everything). Feel free to add others you considered, and any impressions on any of them would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've driven a G8x of some sort and are able to compare. Annoyingly, I haven't driven a G8x myself, though I finally tracked one down to rent in the next few days, so I'll update my impressions then.

-Audi RS5 Sportback: This is the most direct competitor, and though I haven't driven it, I have an S5 Sportback. My S5 does everything very competently -- there's not really much to complain about -- but in a boring, clinical way. The RS5, from what I've heard, fixes this to an extent, but this is an aging platform at this point that feels dated to me (especially on the inside), and unless you love the looks of it, I don't know that there's a single thing it does better than the G8x aside from having more cargo space because of the hatch.

-Tesla Model 3 Performance: I have one at my second house, and it's simultaneously great and disappointing. The infotainment screen is awesome (though I wish there were a few more physical controls), the acceleration is obscene, and everything with it is just easy and just works. You save a ton on gas, servicing is much easier and cheaper, and the car itself is a ridiculously good deal -- in any non-track situation, it's as fast or faster than a G8x for $60k. The main downside is that I don't feel connected to it at all when driving. The steering is too quick and twitchy for my taste and has ZERO feel whatsoever -- it literally feels like driving a car in a video game. The suspension isn't refined at all and is somehow both harsh/crashy and bouncy, and you don't at all get that feeling of solidity and stability you get in basically any luxury German sedan, if you know what I mean. As a disclaimer, my car is a 2018, and I've heard the suspension has been improved over the last few years (to an extent), and when I pick my 2022 up in the next few weeks, I'll update this aspect of my assessment if it changes. The interior is a bit plain, but I've grown to be fine with that -- it keeps things feeling airy and modern, and it'll age much better than basically any other interior on the market right now. The seats are horrendous for a performance car and don't keep you at all planted in the corners. Overall, though, this thing packs a serious punch, especially at the price point, and if they tweak the suspension, steering, and seats, version 2.0 of this in a few years could be really special.

-BMW X3M/X4M: I haven't driven these, but from what I've heard, they handle exceptionally well for SUVs but ride significantly worse than the G8x (or anything else on this list, though the GLC63 is supposedly similar), and also allegedly feel a little muted in spite of the fact that they're immensely capable. It's also an aging platform, though the LCI brought it to a point where it at least looks pretty close to as modern as the G8x and has some of the mechanical upgrades. Very interested to hear whether anyone has more feedback on these.

-Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio: I wish an AWD Giulia existed, but this is fairly close and, in my experience, is the closest thing to a lifted sports car. The chassis is great, the engine sounds very good for a 6-cylinder and has lots of character, and the steering is really, really good. It also comes in some really cool, unique colors, which is a plus. The downside is that the interior feels essentially a decade old at this point, although I will say that the simplicity of it isn't necessarily bad, it still has 98% of the features of the G8x even if the implementation doesn't look as futuristic, and the materials quality on the post-2020 models is surprisingly good. They're also available right away, and at a solid discount. It should be noted that the dealership network is smaller, spottier, frequently changing (a fair number of dealerships are opening, but it seems an equal amount are shutting down), and there's a chance the plug could be pulled on the entire brand within a few years.

-Mercedes-AMG GLC63: I have one of these now, and to be honest, I've never really gotten along with it. The platform is old at this point, which really shows on the interior, and the whole interior design to me feels both a little dated and tackily over-designed (as if the designers thought more going on = more luxurious). The engine has ridiculous amounts of power and torque, but the transmission tuning is seriously awful, to the point I and many other owners thought there might be something wrong with it. It's constantly shifting, is extremely clunky when doing so, especially at low speeds, and when you want power in any mode except Sport + (and even then), you have to wait for it to shift down sometimes 4-5 gears, as it'll go up to 9th by like 50 mph. The suspension is also really, really stiff and crashes over any tiny imperfection. If they figured out the transmission mapping and hired away some Porsche engineers to sort the suspension out, this could be really, really good (I probably wouldn't be here writing this post, if that was the case), but this will be gone after this year, so that chance was missed.

-Porsche Macan: I've driven a 2015 Turbo a lot, and I have to say that the steering feel, chassis control, and gearbox are phenomenal, and it also rides beautifully. People frequently claim that it doesn't drive like an SUV, which is accurate to a point, but it also definitely doesn't drive like a sports car, either, and you can feel the weight and higher center of gravity. That being said, if you're not driving on a track, I'd expect the new GTS version of this to be close to as enjoyable as a G8x (and an argument could be made that it would be more enjoyable because of its more approachable limits) as a daily, and probably more comfortable due to the extra space and air suspension. It's only a few thousand more expensive, which makes it tempting, but I don't think it's any easier to get than a G8x, so if your concern is getting something quickly, this won't help.

-Jaguar F-Pace SVR: I only drove this briefly, but the engine is INSANE. I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a Range Rover Sport Supercharged with this engine and it's great in that setting, but it's ratcheted way, way up in the F-Pace. There's no way there's a better-sounding or more characterful engine out there right now short of something truly exotic. Definitely the highlight of the vehicle for me, and something I can't stop thinking about, especially since there's nothing else like it and never will be again -- it's now or never. It rides really well, had nice steering, and seemed to handle well also -- it honestly felt fairly similar to the Macan in these aspects to me, but I didn't drive it long enough/was too distracted by the engine to give a more detailed assessment here. I can say that it clearly wasn't meant for the track and would obviously get dusted by a G8x in that regard, but my assumption is that many of you reading this are like me and don't care all that much about this aspect; on the street, I can say for sure that you would have to be hitting very illegal speeds to get anywhere near the F-Pace's limits. I'm more concerned about having something that is fun to drive on the street than outright capability, and the F-Pace certainly gives the G8x a run for its money in this regard, though with a different formula.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
gearcritic
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I had a X3M but sold it after deciding a SUV is still an SUV at the end of the day. If you're looking for straight line performance you'll get it, but physics always wins in the corners. I think the X3M is perhaps one of the best handling SUVs I have driven though and I hear in that regards the Macan is even better.

I think the long wait will be worth it for the G80
Appreciate 3
T3F45.50
m2otwo146.00
seis-speed2426.00
      01-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
Hey all,

I figured I'd start this thread for two reasons:
1. When buying a car, we all consider multiple models, but it's hard to test drive everything, let alone get a good impression from a short test drive when a salesperson is breathing down your neck.
2. Waitlists for the G8x are getting really long, to the point where nothing is available on lots and orders placed now will most often take close to a year (or more) to be delivered, and some of us either can't wait or don't have the patience to.

I also made it specifically for AWD alternatives, as that's something that's crucial to me, and a lot of the more natural comparisons (e.g., Giulia Quadrifoglio, CT4-V, C63, etc.) only concern RWD cars and already have threads.

Here are the vehicles I've considered, as well as any applicable driving impressions (I haven't driven everything). Feel free to add others you considered, and any impressions on any of them would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've driven a G8x of some sort and are able to compare. Annoyingly, I haven't driven a G8x myself, though I finally tracked one down to rent in the next few days, so I'll update my impressions then.

-Audi RS5 Sportback: This is the most direct competitor, and though I haven't driven it, I have an S5 Sportback. My S5 does everything very competently -- there's not really much to complain about -- but in a boring, clinical way. The RS5, from what I've heard, fixes this to an extent, but this is an aging platform at this point that feels dated to me (especially on the inside), and unless you love the looks of it, I don't know that there's a single thing it does better than the G8x aside from having more cargo space because of the hatch.

-Tesla Model 3 Performance: I have one at my second house, and it's simultaneously great and disappointing. The infotainment screen is awesome (though I wish there were a few more physical controls), the acceleration is obscene, and everything with it is just easy and just works. You save a ton on gas, servicing is much easier and cheaper, and the car itself is a ridiculously good deal -- in any non-track situation, it's as fast or faster than a G8x for $60k. The main downside is that I don't feel connected to it at all when driving. The steering is too quick and twitchy for my taste and has ZERO feel whatsoever -- it literally feels like driving a car in a video game. The suspension isn't refined at all and is somehow both harsh/crashy and bouncy, and you don't at all get that feeling of solidity and stability you get in basically any luxury German sedan, if you know what I mean. As a disclaimer, my car is a 2018, and I've heard the suspension has been improved over the last few years (to an extent), and when I pick my 2022 up in the next few weeks, I'll update this aspect of my assessment if it changes. The interior is a bit plain, but I've grown to be fine with that -- it keeps things feeling airy and modern, and it'll age much better than basically any other interior on the market right now. The seats are horrendous for a performance car and don't keep you at all planted in the corners. Overall, though, this thing packs a serious punch, especially at the price point, and if they tweak the suspension, steering, and seats, version 2.0 of this in a few years could be really special.

-BMW X3M/X4M: I haven't driven these, but from what I've heard, they handle exceptionally well for SUVs but ride significantly worse than the G8x (or anything else on this list, though the GLC63 is supposedly similar), and also allegedly feel a little muted in spite of the fact that they're immensely capable. It's also an aging platform, though the LCI brought it to a point where it at least looks pretty close to as modern as the G8x and has some of the mechanical upgrades. Very interested to hear whether anyone has more feedback on these.

-Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio: I wish an AWD Giulia existed, but this is fairly close and, in my experience, is the closest thing to a lifted sports car. The chassis is great, the engine sounds very good for a 6-cylinder and has lots of character, and the steering is really, really good. It also comes in some really cool, unique colors, which is a plus. The downside is that the interior feels essentially a decade old at this point, although I will say that the simplicity of it isn't necessarily bad, it still has 98% of the features of the G8x even if the implementation doesn't look as futuristic, and the materials quality on the post-2020 models is surprisingly good. They're also available right away, and at a solid discount. It should be noted that the dealership network is smaller, spottier, frequently changing (a fair number of dealerships are opening, but it seems an equal amount are shutting down), and there's a chance the plug could be pulled on the entire brand within a few years.

-Mercedes-AMG GLC63: I have one of these now, and to be honest, I've never really gotten along with it. The platform is old at this point, which really shows on the interior, and the whole interior design to me feels both a little dated and tackily over-designed (as if the designers thought more going on = more luxurious). The engine has ridiculous amounts of power and torque, but the transmission tuning is seriously awful, to the point I and many other owners thought there might be something wrong with it. It's constantly shifting, is extremely clunky when doing so, especially at low speeds, and when you want power in any mode except Sport + (and even then), you have to wait for it to shift down sometimes 4-5 gears, as it'll go up to 9th by like 50 mph. The suspension is also really, really stiff and crashes over any tiny imperfection. If they figured out the transmission mapping and hired away some Porsche engineers to sort the suspension out, this could be really, really good (I probably wouldn't be here writing this post, if that was the case), but this will be gone after this year, so that chance was missed.

-Porsche Macan: I've driven a 2015 Turbo a lot, and I have to say that the steering feel, chassis control, and gearbox are phenomenal, and it also rides beautifully. People frequently claim that it doesn't drive like an SUV, which is accurate to a point, but it also definitely doesn't drive like a sports car, either, and you can feel the weight and higher center of gravity. That being said, if you're not driving on a track, I'd expect the new GTS version of this to be close to as enjoyable as a G8x (and an argument could be made that it would be more enjoyable because of its more approachable limits) as a daily, and probably more comfortable due to the extra space and air suspension. It's only a few thousand more expensive, which makes it tempting, but I don't think it's any easier to get than a G8x, so if your concern is getting something quickly, this won't help.

-Jaguar F-Pace SVR: I only drove this briefly, but the engine is INSANE. I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a Range Rover Sport Supercharged with this engine and it's great in that setting, but it's ratcheted way, way up in the F-Pace. There's no way there's a better-sounding or more characterful engine out there right now short of something truly exotic. Definitely the highlight of the vehicle for me, and something I can't stop thinking about, especially since there's nothing else like it and never will be again -- it's now or never. It rides really well, had nice steering, and seemed to handle well also -- it honestly felt fairly similar to the Macan in these aspects to me, but I didn't drive it long enough/was too distracted by the engine to give a more detailed assessment here. I can say that it clearly wasn't meant for the track and would obviously get dusted by a G8x in that regard, but my assumption is that many of you reading this are like me and don't care all that much about this aspect; on the street, I can say for sure that you would have to be hitting very illegal speeds to get anywhere near the F-Pace's limits. I'm more concerned about having something that is fun to drive on the street than outright capability, and the F-Pace certainly gives the G8x a run for its money in this regard, though with a different formula.
G30 M550. It's a tad bigger, same price and almost just as quick. Difference is luxury>performance.

I've love mine, very capable vehicle. Can't wait to get in my new G80 though.
Appreciate 1
T3F45.50
      01-16-2022, 10:52 PM   #4
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Your list seems pretty comprehensive. Put your name on the lists for your top 3-4 picks and see what you can get first … that's what I'm doing .. ordering a G80 but also have my name on a list for Z06 and Civic Type R. X3M is a slightly lifted M3 wagon and would be high on my list if I didn't do track days

Appreciate 1
T3F45.50
      01-16-2022, 11:31 PM   #5
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Base 911 is what I'm about to switch to if my car isn't here by end of January
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
T3F
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
I'd do the same if it's a possibility -- was it hard to get an allocation?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:18 AM   #7
T3F
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcritic View Post
I had a X3M but sold it after deciding a SUV is still an SUV at the end of the day. If you're looking for straight line performance you'll get it, but physics always wins in the corners. I think the X3M is perhaps one of the best handling SUVs I have driven though and I hear in that regards the Macan is even better.

Thanks for the input! I actually was able to drive an X3M today, and I have to say that, while it's a gorgeous car and very fast, I found the suspension really, really stiff, to the point that I think it would be insufferable on the roads around me. It did corner without any hint of body roll, but didn't really feel great (I could always feel the weight fighting me) doing it. The Macan and F-Pace definitely feel much nicer to drive (and ride way better) to me even if their handling limits aren't quite as high (though I think the Macan's are).

I think so, though it depends on a lot of factors. I'm number 4 on the waitlist -- do I get an allocation next month, or in 3-4 months? Does production and shipping take 1-2 months or 3-4 months? Does BMW put the touchscreens back in these by the time mine is produced (and do they pull even more features in the meantime, as they've done on lower-tier models)? Does the rumored 7/22 LCI come to fruition? A "nightmare" scenario would be having a car built in May or June without the touchscreen, then having the same shipping difficulties many are experiencing, meaning no delivery until July-September, at which point LCI vehicles are already in production with ID8. Having to choose between taking delivery of an older car with reduced features or getting back on the waitlist (which is probably going to be longer than it is now) and starting all over again is not where I want to be 6 months from now. I'm increasingly thinking the pragmatic play is to get a Model 3 Performance or an F-Pace SVR, both of which can be had quickly, and circle back in a year when everything is hopefully sorted out, but I'm not sure I'll be totally happy with that given how badly I want an M3Cx. Ugh, these are good problems to have, but it's still crazy and frustrating that the market is the way it is right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:20 AM   #8
T3F
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
G30 M550. It's a tad bigger, same price and almost just as quick. Difference is luxury>performance.

I've love mine, very capable vehicle. Can't wait to get in my new G80 though.
Great point, and that is actually a car I'm considering as well! The only thing putting me off of it is a few articles saying that it's just not all that fun to drive (do you have any input on this you'd be willing to share?) -- not sure whether that's true or not, and even if it is, it doesn't mean it's a bad car by any stretch (as you said, it seems they've just decided to prioritize luxury instead), but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for currently.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:51 AM   #9
sk3let0nz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

If my car does have any exceptionally long delays in production, then I'll have to go with Model S Plaid
      01-17-2022, 05:20 AM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I really like the touring/wagons from Audi like the New RS6 for example and the Porsche Panamera Tourismo GTS/Turbo has great reviews

Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon is also a great car

I like the look of the X5M/X3M but to be honest honest I would consider the X5 M50i performance - it's a big powerful car but retains a lot more comfort in the suspension over the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:34 PM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Great point, and that is actually a car I'm considering as well! The only thing putting me off of it is a few articles saying that it's just not all that fun to drive (do you have any input on this you'd be willing to share?) -- not sure whether that's true or not, and even if it is, it doesn't mean it's a bad car by any stretch (as you said, it seems they've just decided to prioritize luxury instead), but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for currently.
I have the 2019 version that was just prior to the horsepower bump to 520ish. With that said, I haven't been lusting for more power.

For me for daily driving, where I lost the fun was in its exhaust note. It's a big car with really good outside sound dampening, that you can't really hear the exhaust that well from this massive TTV8. So if you get it, find a way to make the car louder.

It had otherwise put a smile on my face, but certainly not the same as my F80 M3. The F80 M3, while I loved, I also loathed due to the horrendous thigh bolsters on the seats, and comfort when driving long distances.

I guess it's really just what you want. If my wife would turn her x5 in I'd keep the M550. I'm getting the G80 M3 because I want to be able to track the car on occasion, and like the significant flexibility in steering, braking, suspension, and drivetrain settings. The 550 was my first 5 series.

The things I'll miss:
Significant seat comfort - I mean it massages my butt.
Overall driving comfort
Fuel tank size
Trunk size

Pretty much everything else I'll have in my G80 and more. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have, or how to better define fun/not as fun.
Appreciate 1
T3F45.50
      01-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
cbpdpm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive Conv

Ordered 22 X3M Comp in July and took delivery in August. Great car! I loved the engine, but was still an SUV. Pretraded for a G80 in Oct. Car currently scheduled for production (Week 6 Build). Hoping to get it by March or April!
Appreciate 1
m2otwo146.00
      01-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #13
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Quote:
I'd do the same if it's a possibility -- was it hard to get an allocation?
I'm sure it's almost impossible. I was looking at a lot car
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      01-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #14
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
There is no real competition for this car in awd trim. In rwd it really was alfa and the m3 (and maybe a ct5v blackwing) and then everyone else. In awd trim this car is the Swiss army knife of the fast sedan world. The wait sucks but in my case I don't really care when the thing shows up.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:51 AM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input! I actually was able to drive an X3M today, and I have to say that, while it's a gorgeous car and very fast, I found the suspension really, really stiff, to the point that I think it would be insufferable on the roads around me. It did corner without any hint of body roll, but didn't really feel great (I could always feel the weight fighting me) doing it. The Macan and F-Pace definitely feel much nicer to drive (and ride way better) to me even if their handling limits aren't quite as high (though I think the Macan's are).

I think so, though it depends on a lot of factors. I'm number 4 on the waitlist -- do I get an allocation next month, or in 3-4 months? Does production and shipping take 1-2 months or 3-4 months? Does BMW put the touchscreens back in these by the time mine is produced (and do they pull even more features in the meantime, as they've done on lower-tier models)? Does the rumored 7/22 LCI come to fruition? A "nightmare" scenario would be having a car built in May or June without the touchscreen, then having the same shipping difficulties many are experiencing, meaning no delivery until July-September, at which point LCI vehicles are already in production with ID8. Having to choose between taking delivery of an older car with reduced features or getting back on the waitlist (which is probably going to be longer than it is now) and starting all over again is not where I want to be 6 months from now. I'm increasingly thinking the pragmatic play is to get a Model 3 Performance or an F-Pace SVR, both of which can be had quickly, and circle back in a year when everything is hopefully sorted out, but I'm not sure I'll be totally happy with that given how badly I want an M3Cx. Ugh, these are good problems to have, but it's still crazy and frustrating that the market is the way it is right now.
You don't want id8 believe me. Dash looks terrible and a lot of reduced function. You'll be lucky to have the car produced before July.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #16
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
I had an M550 before my G80 and had an F80 before the M550. M550 is nice, luxurious, and fast. But one thing is for sure…it’s boring!
Appreciate 3
T3F45.50
'Cane8349.50
Limegrntaln13021.50
      01-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #17
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Nissan GTR
Good:
- Great quality engine & transmission if kept under 650hp/650tq
- If you have deep pockets, it is almost unbeatable (see Airstrip Attack results)
- Great sounding engine & the looks to go with it
- Amazing AWD, DCT, 6spds, sits 4 (2 + small kids in the back), and...
- It's much easier to tune than the M4/G8x (as of now)

The Bad:
- Old platform that is barely clinging to best of the best title
- Expensive and hard to get, specially if looking for new
- Noisy & clunky transmission. To the point that you think something is broken.
- If you get a used one: still expensive, most abused, with lost of miles/owners
- Nissan dealership support is Nissan level of quality; most don't provide $130K purchase level of service

The only way I would have gotten another GTR is if the prices would have kept the level of pre-pandemic market (i.e. $105K OTD). I almost got a new 2018 left over with 200mi. back in '19 for $93K OTD. But my dumb ass thought that prices were still going to plunge more, specially at the beginning of the pandemic... :/

Last edited by GixY2K; 01-21-2022 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      02-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #18
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

If it was not the G80 Pure 6MT

I was considering a Lexus es250 AWD or Toyota Avalon

Or a VW GTI Automatic

Or Honda CRV
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #19
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I've driven most of these, and there really isn't anything comparable.

Yes, there are fast SUVs...but they are SUVs. The Macan is the best driving one out of the bunch, but even a tuned Macan Turbo (what I currently have) isn't the same. The G80 is just in a different league when it comes to power and drivability. The Macan design is ~8 years old as well (even though it's seen 2 facelifts).

The closest thing (size/price) would probably be the RS5, but IMHO it's a disappointing alternative.

For me, if the G80 wasn't an option it would probably be a Taycan Turbo (but that's a whole different price point).
YamaLink425.00
Limegrntaln13021.50
      02-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #20
m2otwo
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:

I just made this switch about a week ago. I loved the x3m but couldn't get over the fact that it was still an SUV and although it was extremely fast and the handling was very good it was not what I was looking for in a sports car. I have the m3 6MT for a few hundred miles and couldn't be happier with my move.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #21
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I had an M550 before my G80 and had an F80 before the M550. M550 is nice, luxurious, and fast. But one thing is for sure…it’s boring!

That's why I sold my M8 Competition.. boooooring.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #22
masd79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i MSport

Quote:
Lowest I would go is a carerra S and if you spec it right you're looking at 150k.. and in that range your nearing decent used McLaurin's, R8..
Appreciate 3