BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

09-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #67
solehead74
Rep
Drives: F80

My local dealership has an Orange one and they're not marking it up. They're letting people make offers (essentially bids) and whoever bids highest gets the chance to buy it 🥴
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #68
xXMPowerXx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford, Lexi, Lambo's

So much LOL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 03:08 PM   #69
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solehead74 View Post
My local dealership has an Orange one and they're not marking it up. They're letting people make offers (essentially bids) and whoever bids highest gets the chance to buy it 🥴
What?!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #70
Banana_phone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Wonder what it would sell at when the bubble burst
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602185.00
      09-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #71
Predatar
Private
Rep
Drives: G82X

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
What?!!!
I personally know and have verified two dealers doing this with M4 CSL’s. Car is for sale to the highest offer/bidder they receive. No price on the car itself, you must make a bid over MSRP that is better than others ones already made.

Crazy times for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:13 AM   #72
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

$30k over is insulting period.

Imagine getting totaled within the first year… you think your insurance will give you $30k over MSRP back?

The market is turning around for sure now. I have dealers contacting me again talking about new vehicles they have in stock and how amazing and unprecedented it is that they can make them available to me given the market. Don't BS me…you have inventory that's not moving as fast and hence the mass emails with deals are starting to go out again.

Remember the dealerships that treated you unkindly when the market fully turns around… don't buy from them and let their cars sit on the lot. Anything over MSRP is price gouging period. I know I know they have to sell it over MSRP to keep the lights on at their poor suffering dealership until you read the financials and realize they made more profit in the last couple years than ever before. Tell them you need to keep the lights on at your house too
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #73
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Brilliant red. Enhances this car's visual appeal IMO. Hope no one buys it at that mark up! That's one greedy as dealer. Jeez! Just by reading that number on OP's post made my heart palpitate.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #74
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

$30K markup on an M3? Imagine being the idiot that actually goes for that.
Appreciate 3
Fugly M35029.00
somer950.50
      09-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #75
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Not sure why, but I thought these had the CF inlets.
      09-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #76
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
It's not worth anything over MSRP. Have the dealer prove to you it's going to hold its value and it's worth $30K over..
Value is in the eye of the beholder.

The value here is you get to own and drive a great car today.

It will sell for over sticker, but maybe not $30K over.
I recall last gen m3's at launch also selling 8-10 over msrp. That shift under msrp eventually turned.

Automakers now though will just cut back supply. It's a brave new world of supply chain "malarkey" that's being pumped from sales all the way around the world media.

Collectively if we all called BS- this sort of 30,000 price gouge wouldn't be happening.

So much for demand of ice "simmering" down. What EV is selling for 30,000 over at the mount? Taycan maybe? Lucid and Tesla now look like heroes where dealers are being exposed as the villains they might be…
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #77
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I recall last gen m3's at launch also selling 8-10 over msrp. That shift under msrp eventually turned.

Automakers now though will just cut back supply. It's a brave new world of supply chain "malarkey" that's being pumped from sales all the way around the world media.

Collectively if we all called BS- this sort of 30,000 price gouge wouldn't be happening.

So much for demand of ice "simmering" down. What EV is selling for 30,000 over at the mount? Taycan maybe? Lucid and Tesla now look like heroes where dealers are being exposed as the villains they might be…
Sure, but what we are seeing here is different.

The M3 is already in short supply so any on the ground xDrive car is going to see ADM of 10-15K. The dealer feels this is a special car, so they are asking for 30K.

We can argue if this is reasonable or not, but it doesn't matter. They have a single car to sell at this price, and chances are someone who has more money than patience will decide to pick it up.

Time will tell what happens to resale prices in the future, but higher prices and low supply of new cars would seem to suggest used car prices may not drop as much as they have in the past.
      09-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #78
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The M3 is already in short supply so any on the ground xDrive car is going to see ADM of 10-15K. The dealer feels this is a special car, so they are asking for 30K.

We can argue if this is reasonable or not, but it doesn't matter. They have a single car to sell at this price, and chances are someone who has more money than patience will decide to pick it up.

Time will tell what happens to resale prices in the future, but higher prices and low supply of new cars would seem to suggest used car prices may not drop as much as they have in the past.
Low supply by design. If the profit margin is usually 7-10 percent on a bmw- and they can command 30,000 more? That's a better model than discounting cars , selling more and having to pay bmw for them too.

Dealerships have captured a pure profit model currently disguised by a chip shortage. Maybe it's true- or maybe it's designed to reduce cost from the make and helping the dealership get more for each car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #79
NotSharocks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Love the Pokemon Island color man.
      09-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #80
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Low supply by design. If the profit margin is usually 7-10 percent on a bmw- and they can command 30,000 more? That's a better model than discounting cars , selling more and having to pay bmw for them too.

Dealerships have captured a pure profit model currently disguised by a chip shortage. Maybe it's true- or maybe it's designed to reduce cost from the make and helping the dealership get more for each car.
I disagree, they are making up for lack of volume not earning more profit. My $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #81
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatar View Post
I personally know and have verified two dealers doing this with M4 CSL’s. Car is for sale to the highest offer/bidder they receive. No price on the car itself, you must make a bid over MSRP that is better than others ones already made.

Crazy times for sure.
I think that is a better way to do it. Have a deadline (2-weeks) and highest offer takes it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:12 PM   #82
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatar View Post

Crazy times for sure.
Ford dealers are doing the same with the Raptor R.

In my area, one was a flat $50K over and wouldn't budge. Another said they'll take bids once it arrives.

Hard for me to wrap my head around a $160K+ F150…but I doubt it will sit there long.
      09-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #83
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree, they are making up for lack of volume not earning more profit. My $0.02.
Have you though about the cash they save by not holding 300 cars on a lot?

Volume sales are now a distant memory that no one will have to go back to. Just my 2 cents too- I could be wrong but GM's have told me they like this model of msrp, order and lists.

What's lost is the wonder- that moment where you see something and it's beautiful and you bite. And get a great deal. It's replaced with- we have something here- 30,000.00 over msrp. That's not fate- that's robbery.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #84
G8ighty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ G80 M3 6mt

Part numbers for the carbon bucket headrest!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #85
TVonthe80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 TV G80 50j

Quote:
Have you though about the cash they save by not holding 300 cars on a lot?

Volume sales are now a distant memory that no one will have to go back to. Just my 2 cents too- I could be wrong but GM's have told me they like this model of msrp, order and lists.
Depends on the dealer and their original business model. A high volume dealer with a lot of real estate, sales staff, support systems in place to move large volume aren't going to do as well as a smaller dealer who's volume might not have moved much but now their margin is 10-15k better per unit.

Also different between luxury and mainstream manufacturers. Luxury brands will do better as their customers are less price sensitive, they are already smaller volume, and cover greater territory. A typical Ford/GM store might be doing great or might be struggling in the new world depending on how well they're managed and their local market.

On average i believe same store profits and manufacturer profits are both up in total $ and in margin, but it's not universal across dealers
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #86
caveatesq1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G92 M3 Comp xDrive and G93 M4

These clowns have listed a 50 Jahre with a $50K market adjustment.

https://www.bmwofsilverspring.com/ne...f0a3e783b1.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #87
Mtr3sto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F80 M3CS, FL5 Type R

I don’t uderstand why these jahre’s have these mark ups. They are m3s with individual color, grey wheels, and vader stripes in the seats….
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #88
mthused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 50 Jahre M3, 2004 M3

Yes, the markups being asked are insane. That being said, there are some opportunities out there.

I bought my 50 Jahre (in Lime Rock Grey) from dealership stock here in SoCal for only slightly over MSRP. Was worth it to me paying a small markup to get a car now rather than wait months more for my custom order that didn't yet have a production number. Been waiting since January for an allocation...

It really is just a cosmetic & option package, so I can't understand why dealers think they can get away with huge markups on them. Nothing super special about this edition over the normal ones.
Appreciate 0