BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #1
AlecX5
Lifetime Bimmer Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Custom Alcantara Steering wheel - expensive- worth it?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys-

I've got a 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive. It was a lot car I bought last October. GREAT car. My fourth M3. (E46, E92, F80, G80)

One of the options was the Driving Assistance Package (DAP). I really like this option. Works amazing on the freeway and even some long two-lane roads. Nice option.

I've always been a fan of Alcantara steering wheels from my Porsche days. Wanted one for this car, but couldn't find one that supported the DAP. Then I did find a company that supports that option. It's about twice the price of the IND. But, it's full Alcantara and came with a custom carbon and Alcantara trim piece. To keep that option functional, I really didn't have a choice so I ordered one. You can choose whatever color you want for the center 12 o'clock strip. I just went with M blue.

It was a long wait as I found out after ordering the company that builds these is in the Ukraine. It took about 4 months, but I'm super happy with it. Besides the full customization, it's got a great shape with more contours and a bit of a flat bottom. Great in the hands. Goes great with the Alcantara armrest.

Anyway, if your car has the DAP and you really want an Alcantara wheel, this company is the way to go. Let me know if you want a link. They do excellent work.

Here are some photos.
thanks,
alec
Attached Images

chicagofan0018923.00
UNCM2334.50
FISH225379.00
mzwerner393.50
Seedster2238.00
ny2nj189.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
m2otwo146.00
Psychos1s521.50
Mamba279.00
      06-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Looks great 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

How much was it? Very nice

I was looking at some of the options and it seemed super expensive. I was thinking a good
Car Upholstery service might be able to wrap in the OEM one in alcantara for a lot less ? Obviously would need a reputable shop
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
AlecX5
Lifetime Bimmer Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
How much was it? Very nice

I was looking at some of the options and it seemed super expensive. I was thinking a good
Car Upholstery service might be able to wrap in the OEM one in alcantara for a lot less ? Obviously would need a reputable shop
Yeah, it wasn't cheap. I paid about $1600. To me, it's worth it. It's the one thing in the car you're constantly touching and handling.

Wrapping the leather wheel with Alcantara will leave you with a really thick wheel. I don't think that's an option. For those without the ADP, the standard aftermarket Alcantara wheel found on IND and other sites it's probably fine. But I wouldn't let someone wrap my leather wheel.

thanks
alec
      06-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the damn thing wasn't as thick as a donkey dick. If BMW went to a thinner steering wheel I'd bet we get some steering feedback/feel.
Appreciate 3
nunzo747.50
nerdrum96.50
      06-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #6
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Looks good. What's the company?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #7
AlecX5
Lifetime Bimmer Fanatic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Looks good. What's the company?
https://azaautowheel.com/
      06-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #8
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the damn thing wasn't as thick as a donkey dick. If BMW went to a thinner steering wheel I'd bet we get some steering feedback/feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 11:38 PM   #9
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the damn thing wasn't as thick as a donkey dick.
I can't but wonder how you know how thick that is, esp. that you are describing something you wrap you hands around

Quote:
If BMW went to a thinner steering wheel I'd bet we get some steering feedback/feel.
Now this I can't wrap my head around, what does steering wheel thickness have to do with feedback. Am I missing something obvious?
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2022, 06:34 AM   #10
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
Quote:
I can't but wonder how you know how thick that is, esp. that you are describing something you wrap you hands around
Come by. I'll pull my zipper down and show you. I'm in Texas and so as the saying goes…

Quote:
Quote:
If BMW went to a thinner steering wheel I'd bet we get some steering feedback/feel.
Now this I can't wrap my head around, what does steering wheel thickness have to do with feedback. Am I missing something obvious?

Yes you are.
Go compare a race car steering wheel or Porsche's with our M3's. Additionally thinner steering wheels are a bit lighter, so less filtering from what the wheels/suspension are doing.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 09:53 AM   #11
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

Looking good. Is the armrest a standard M Performance part?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #12
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Yes you are.
Go compare a race car steering wheel or Porsche's with our M3's. Additionally thinner steering wheels are a bit lighter, so less filtering from what the wheels/suspension are doing.
100% disagree.
This is a personal preference - some people feel the wheel feedback through their fingers and prefer a thin wheel, others feel with their palms and prefer a thick wheel.
There is no right answer.
There are plenty of race cars with thick wheels (in fact, look at the in-car footage from any race series and I bet you will see a lot more thick wheels than thin wheels...)
You are correct about a thin rim having less rotational inertia, but with any e-pas system the feedback is effectively controlled by that system and it can be tuned to overcome any rotational inertia (that is how, for example, the amount of wheel vibration you feel with lane departure warning can be varied).
On our M3's the level of isolation (or lack of feedback, if you will) is a choice made by BMW. They have decided that reducing steady state feedback (e.g bumps on a straight road) is desirable, but at the expense of some cornering feel feedback. Nothing to do with wheel rim thickness.
      06-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #13
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Come by. I'll pull my zipper down and show you. I'm in Texas and so as the saying goes…
Man, I didn't know donkey tool transplants were a thing in Texas.

You learn something new every day.
      04-07-2023, 04:29 PM   #14
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I like the Driving assistance package and the wheel idea, but why do you say that the wheel is dependent on the DAP? Is it to say that the flat bottom is no giod for regular spirited driving?

Do you have a link for the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 06:05 PM   #15
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
100% disagree.
This is a personal preference - some people feel the wheel feedback through their fingers and prefer a thin wheel, others feel with their palms and prefer a thick wheel.
There is no right answer.
There are plenty of race cars with thick wheels (in fact, look at the in-car footage from any race series and I bet you will see a lot more thick wheels than thin wheels...)
You are correct about a thin rim having less rotational inertia, but with any e-pas system the feedback is effectively controlled by that system and it can be tuned to overcome any rotational inertia (that is how, for example, the amount of wheel vibration you feel with lane departure warning can be varied).
On our M3's the level of isolation (or lack of feedback, if you will) is a choice made by BMW. They have decided that reducing steady state feedback (e.g bumps on a straight road) is desirable, but at the expense of some cornering feel feedback. Nothing to do with wheel rim thickness.
Agree. The issue with steering feel isn't to do with thickness of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 06:07 PM   #16
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecX5 View Post
Yeah, it wasn't cheap. I paid about $1600. To me, it's worth it. It's the one thing in the car you're constantly touching and handling.

Wrapping the leather wheel with Alcantara will leave you with a really thick wheel. I don't think that's an option. For those without the ADP, the standard aftermarket Alcantara wheel found on IND and other sites it's probably fine. But I wouldn't let someone wrap my leather wheel.

thanks
alec
$1600 isn't bad for the complete wheel. I did have FISH22 wrap my stock wheel with alcantara and I am quite happy with it.
Appreciate 1
FISH225379.00
      04-07-2023, 07:27 PM   #17
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

No thanks, I hate Alcantara steering wheels and arm rests. I had Alcantara seats, arm rest, steering wheel, and stick shift knob as standard options in my 2012 Porsche 911 GTS and hated it. I bought neoprene seat covers and wore driving gloves to protect the swede like surfaces. IMO, Alcantara does not belong in a car unless on the ceiling and window posts.
      04-07-2023, 08:15 PM   #18
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
No thanks, I hate Alcantara steering wheels and arm rests. I had Alcantara seats, arm rest, steering wheel, and stick shift knob as standard options in my 2012 Porsche 911 GTS and hated it. I bought neoprene seat covers and wore driving gloves to protect the swede like surfaces. IMO, Alcantara does not belong in a car unless on the ceiling and window posts.
So in conclusion your OCD prevented you from enjoying alcantera?

Got it
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2023, 10:00 PM   #19
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I like the Driving assistance package and the wheel idea, but why do you say that the wheel is dependent on the DAP? Is it to say that the flat bottom is no giod for regular spirited driving?

Do you have a link for the wheel?
It's Aza Auto Wheel - you can find them on fb, or their website.

What OP is saying about DAP is that aza is one of the only aftermarket wheel makers that supports DAP. If you go with oem, ind, carsmo, etc, your DAP will stop working.

I paid the huge premium (circa 3k) for one, and while I don't regret it - the wheel is a work of art - my DAP never worked regardless. Aza offered to try to fix it, but it would have required disassembling the wheel and mailing it away. I ended up getting one of the cheater boxes that just enables full hands off, and that solved it (eg, could have used that box on any wheel, didn't need to spend the crazy cash on an Aza.)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 05:34 AM   #20
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
It's Aza Auto Wheel - you can find them on fb, or their website.

What OP is saying about DAP is that aza is one of the only aftermarket wheel makers that supports DAP. If you go with oem, ind, carsmo, etc, your DAP will stop working.

I paid the huge premium (circa 3k) for one, and while I don't regret it - the wheel is a work of art - my DAP never worked regardless. Aza offered to try to fix it, but it would have required disassembling the wheel and mailing it away. I ended up getting one of the cheater boxes that just enables full hands off, and that solved it (eg, could have used that box on any wheel, didn't need to spend the crazy cash on an Aza.)
I see, but what is the issue with the other steering wheel covers that inhibits driving assistance package (DAP) from working? How does this wheel cover solve that? Thanks

Edit: I found a link for those that are searching: https://azaautowheel.com/product/ste...-assistheated/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 07:36 AM   #21
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I see, but what is the issue with the other steering wheel covers that inhibits driving assistance package (DAP) from working? How does this wheel cover solve that? Thanks

Edit: I found a link for those that are searching: https://azaautowheel.com/product/ste...-assistheated/
Dap requires a touch sensor in the wheel - the other makers haven't figured out how to retain the function after modifying the wheel (adding carbon etc).

Mine:

online photo hosting
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2023, 10:20 AM   #22
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
The steering wheel itself is only capable of transferring information/feedback/feel if it's given the proper tools to. While a different/thinner steering wheel might feel better in your hands, it really wouldn't give you increased feedback/feel. What you're asking for is this from Fall Line or this from DINAN. Both products are essentially the same, and likely deliver an equal quality product.

I personally have the Fall Line and am smitten by how much better weighted the steering is in Sports mode. In tandem with KW's V3 - the car drives as it should have from the factory IMO with regards to driving experience and handling prowess. If I didn't have a CF steering wheel and instead had an alcantara one, I'd probably enjoy it more but yeah, give and take
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 2
FISH225379.00