BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #45
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower9525 View Post
Getting my M3 has been a fun, long process and I'm sure most of us can relate! After specing the car out and putting down a deposit in November of '21. To then patiently waiting while my build week got pushed further and further back. To then finally getting a July 27 Build date and updated to a '23 model year. To then see it fly through the build process and wait in Bremerhaven for only a few weeks until the car was loaded on the Liberty to make it's voyage to New York in about a month. To the experience of pick up my first brand new M car from the dealer(shout out BMW of Tenafly), winning the tire lottery. Driving it a few miles very slowly to drop it of at Auto Polishing Center in Waldwick NJ, they did a fantastic job on the stealth PPF, Ceramic coating and tints. To then picking up the car fully PPF'd, looking SOOOOO DAMN GOOD and ready to go. To then have the car at home for less than a week until my neighbor was backing up, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and hit my parked car.

The good news is my neighbor is taking full responsibility for it so I don't have to come out of pocket to fix it. It looks like its going to need a new fender and door and most likely side skirt as the clips snapped off the fender.

I plan to keep the car long term so this isn't a flipper question. I bought and financed the car and payed under MSRP, again thank you BMW of Tenafly. I have Ultimate Care + for 6 years/100K miles and all the tire and wheel insurances ect.

We all know that cars with accident histories sell for less than cars with clean titles and given that this car will have an accident on its history, even though it wasn't a serious accident, I assume it will be worth less. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is there any way of being fairly compensated from the insurance company for the loss in value of the car due to this accident?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the accident damage and some pictures when I picked it up fresh from APC after it got PPF'd
I know accidents happen, but man I would still be angry. With my OCD I would obsess over it until it was fixed. I was in a situation where my previous car was rear ended, other drivers fault, and I lost about $1500 in trade in value because it was on the CarFax report.
      10-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #46
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Getting my M3 has been a fun, long process and I'm sure most of us can relate! After specing the car out and putting down a deposit in November of '21. To then patiently waiting while my build week got pushed further and further back. To then finally getting a July 27 Build date and updated to a '23 model year. To then see it fly through the build process and wait in Bremerhaven for only a few weeks until the car was loaded on the Liberty to make it's voyage to New York in about a month. To the experience of pick up my first brand new M car from the dealer(shout out BMW of Tenafly), winning the tire lottery. Driving it a few miles very slowly to drop it of at Auto Polishing Center in Waldwick NJ, they did a fantastic job on the stealth PPF, Ceramic coating and tints. To then picking up the car fully PPF'd, looking SOOOOO DAMN GOOD and ready to go. To then have the car at home for less than a week until my neighbor was backing up, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and hit my parked car.

The good news is my neighbor is taking full responsibility for it so I don't have to come out of pocket to fix it. It looks like its going to need a new fender and door and most likely side skirt as the clips snapped off the fender.

I plan to keep the car long term so this isn't a flipper question. I bought and financed the car and payed under MSRP, again thank you BMW of Tenafly. I have Ultimate Care + for 6 years/100K miles and all the tire and wheel insurances ect.

We all know that cars with accident histories sell for less than cars with clean titles and given that this car will have an accident on its history, even though it wasn't a serious accident, I assume it will be worth less. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is there any way of being fairly compensated from the insurance company for the loss in value of the car due to this accident?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the accident damage and some pictures when I picked it up fresh from APC after it got PPF'd
I think you need to get Marsellus on the job! 🤣
Attached Images

2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D
Appreciate 5
      10-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #47
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

if the neighbor can pay out of pocket, let him. So you can avoid Carfax.

Some food for thought for some of you, even if you get a quote at a dealership for body repair (as in give them your vin) your car will be reported to CF. one of my clients learned this the hard way. Not sure if all BMW bodyshops do this, but the one across the street from me does.

He fixed the car with me, but still ended up with a bad CF.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #48
Three Sticks
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com

They can direct you to a shop to get you diminished value claim. Plus you need to have the ceramic and PPF redone!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #49
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Don't fall into the trap of your neighbor offering to fix it out of pocket. He will change his mind once he sees some estimates and hears you want some extra money for diminished value. Trust me you are wasting your time with him. Report the loss to your insurance company immediately and let them go after your neighbor, that's part of what you are paying them to do with your premiums.
Appreciate 3
DNYC1919478.00
city1991228.00
      10-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #50
dba1t
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMW's

A Diminished Value claim in the way to go, with legal representation. Insurance companies play dumb and will try everything possible to avoid a DV payout. It can be a painful process, but as mentioned in other posts there are companies that specialize in this business.
Appreciate 2
Joachim317.50
      10-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #51
Corkdsp
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartginger View Post
Don't fall into the trap of your neighbor offering to fix it out of pocket. He will change his mind once he sees some estimates and hears you want some extra money for diminished value. Trust me you are wasting your time with him. Report the loss to your insurance company immediately and let them go after your neighbor, that's part of what you are paying them to do with your premiums.
Turn it into the responsible parties insurance company not your own.

If you turn it into your own insurance company it will be subject to your deductible and subrogation can take a very long time against the responsible parties insurer. Also you usually can not get diminished value from your own insurance company only the other parties. Lastly, who wants an insurance claim on their record even if subrogated will still show on your record as a not a fault loss paid.

Trust me turn it in to the neighbors insurance company
Appreciate 3
DNYC1919478.00
Joachim317.50
      10-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #52
Lmcnamee
Rep
Drives: BMW z4 BMW 550

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

File a DIV claim with your neighbors insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #53
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
My C7 got backed into, in a drive thru. Yes, someone was trying to reverse out of getting coffee. They admitted fault, and I had a case number with their insurance company before we left the scene. I took it to a body shop that I found, myself, that had hundreds of 5 star reviews on Yelp.

They removed the bumper, and the front headlight clip was broken, and the headlight needed to be replaced. That was $3,500 retail pricing, of course. They "reworked" the bumper, and I couldnt tell. Both her insurance, AAA and the body shop, claimed it wasnt their responsibility to report to CarFax. The car actually sat in the sun for an hour, and this dent popped back out, but you can see the little crease in the paint.

I checked the CarFax report about a month after repairs were complete, and nothing. Fast forward about 8 months later. I was trading it in, only to find out, it showed up on the CarFax. I thought the dealer was full of shit, so, they gave me the carfax that even described that there was minor bumper damage to the right front side.

I was in the middle of trading it in, and even though it didn't hurt much, it was too late to get diminished value for it. You really have to keep up with it to cover yourself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
maelfyn153.50
      10-03-2022, 10:57 AM   #54
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

I'm gutted for you. I think this is all car enthusiasts worst nightmare. I'm sorry it happened due to someone else's carelessness. Do you not have a garage?

Here's the upside... I'm not sure what paint you have underneath that stealth wrap but being that the car is completely new and the sun hasn't had an opportunity to bake the paint, I'd say you have a good shot at getting a close to perfect match on color. You will have no choice but to paint the door and fender, some body shops will want to "blend" the quarter panel which means they'll want to paint the whole side of your car, which sucks balls and I wouldn't want. If that's how they want to go, pressure them enough and make sure they get enough time to do enough spray cards to get a damn close match so you don't need to touch the qtr panel.

if you keep it from insurance there will be no carfax, but I'd still document the damage in case you decide to sell the car in the future as you have to disclose.

If you plan to rewap the portions of the car the repair will be undetectable - it doesn't make it any less shitty though.

I think if you seek a diminished value claim etc you're just going to hurt yourself in the long run. If you can get the car repaired without the carfax hit then that's the move - with the wrap on, you won't be able to tell the car was ever damaged.

Ugh. I had a scare myself this weekend - I had this huge 5x5 double edged glass sitting in my garage from the previous owner that sold us our house and it somehow slipped and came near damn inches from hitting the car. Lucked out. Even when you do everything in your power to take care of your car - someone else will fuck it for you or you'll have some dumb other worldly thing happen in the least likely scenario.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #55
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
We all really know what happened, OP. He strikes, again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
chicagofan0018923.00
Nate.G82521.00
bri10425757.00
      10-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Damn! I'm gutted for you O.P.!
Appreciate 1
maelfyn153.50
      10-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #57
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
We all really know what happened, OP. He strikes, again.
Oh my god, so right.

You know after 20 years of owning cars, I think I've learned the wisdom of every possible way a car can get fucked up by someone. We should almost create a sticky LOL.

Here' what I experienced or have heard of:

-regular old accident
-someone with an electrical device or even a bike just running into your car or swiping across it
-road rage
-hitting mirror through drive through
-standard car dent from doors, shopping carts
-Landscapers with leaf blow metal backpacks (I had to learn this one first hand on my 135i, literally saw some idiot get into a crevice and back his blower motor into my door). This happened to me at work, everytime I'd hear them turn on their motors I'd move my car to where they had finished already.
-Someone backing up into your car, whether in traffic, at a drive through, or just having your car parked.
-Bird or bug splatter etching clear coat
-Car falling or slipping off a lift (household or shop)
-Once etched my clearcoat on my 335i by leaving an adhesive remover can on the trunk for too long, left an etch in the clear coat (wtf?) when installing a spoiler
-making sure items attached to garage ceiling are secure and no items that can tip over are close enough to tip onto the car
-legit true story, I once left my civic si parked in basically an empty apartment parking lot to see a friend and when I came outside my car had 30+ little handprints, turns out my car was a "tag station" for kids playing tag I had a bunch of minor dents I had to get removed

I can probably think of a few more but over the years I've developed a "spidey sense" for this shit. IF i leave my car parked anywhere I analyze how and what angles my car can get hit just sitting there parked and try to mitigate the risk as much as possible
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #58
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
It sucks, but if the neighbor is paying out of pocket (not insurance) and body panels are being replaced (not repaired), many auto body shops will not report their work to Carfax.

And since you're a long-term owner, you don't have to worry that much about diminished value anyway. The damage isn't horrible, and should be able to be perfectly corrected. Get it fixed, enjoy the hell out of the car, and laugh about this experience in five years.
The party at fault wants to go through his insurance and they want to use the BMW dealership I got the car from so I assume it will show up on the carfax
Don't be so sure.

I had a $9k insurance claim on my old F80 that was fixed at my dealer and they sold it as a "one owner no accident" car (I upgraded it).

No Carfax hit.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #59
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Thugs never cry
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      10-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #60
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Even with the dent it's still a great looking M3.
Love the car.
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      10-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #61
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartginger View Post
Had this happen too. Had a car get hit at work. Guy said he'd pay out of pocket. Once he saw the estimate he changed his mind real fast. It was a brand new car, I don't know what he expected. Needless to say his insurance company was none to happy to find out the accident happened 3-4 days before he reported it. I called my insurance immediately, always do. It's why we pay for insurance.
DNYC1919478.00
      10-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #62
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG80 View Post
Jersey drivers suck by the way!
Do you ever hear anyone say "The drivers in my state are really pretty good!" ?

Drivers suck pretty much everywhere. NJ drivers are just more rude about it.
      10-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #63
8MW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Do you ever hear anyone say "The drivers in my state are really pretty good!" ?

Drivers suck pretty much everywhere. NJ drivers are just more rude about it.
NJ? You must have never crossed the Hudson to the other side....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #64
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

I know a solution to DV on expensive cars.. Never buy one, rent it for 36 months and get a new one at the end.

Each of us has there own perspective in the own vs lease debate, but this thread is clearly the #1 reason leasing is a always the better option on cars like this. Someone hits my new M5.. I'll get it fixed and let BMW deal with it in 35 months. Not my problem. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the car can ever been certified by BMW if it's had body work/been painted.

NJ is a no fault state, meaning, that you have to submit any claim/damage on your car to your own insurance company, regardless of fault, and they will in turn subrograte against the neighbor's insurance co.

I will agree with others, though, that it's a beautiful car and will be again after the work is done. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5853.50
reNT265.50
      10-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #65
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znomorph4theWin View Post
Ouchie! Minor damage , But it can be fixed as good as new. Definitely get a quote from BMW and give to thy neighbor. They might be surprised about the cost to repair…
They "will be surprised",...and definitely will be more careful going forward!
      10-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #66
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

That's the reason I lease my cars! Especially if I have a frozen paint car.
Appreciate 0