BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

09-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #1
Goheels1434
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX Grigio Telesto

Xpel Installer Did Not PPF Grill Slats/Surround

Hey guys, recently got front, roof, and side skirts Xpel PPF completed on my G80. Picked the car up yesterday. However, had something very unusual/unexpected and wanted to get feedback from those that have had front end PPF on G80/G82’s previously.

Shop is highly recommended, Xpel certified, great reviews. Really nice guy that runs the place, and fair price.

However, on picking my car up, and inspecting the work etc, pointing out what few seams there are, I asked about the grill and grill slats. He stated that he does not PPF those on the G80 because the grill slats cannot be made to look good when wrapped in PPF, and will lift etc. This was honestly shocking to me, because at no point in dropping the car off and discussing did that come up.

So I’ll ask everyone else on here that has had PPF done to the front bumper of the G80. Did your grill get PPF and did your installers express any challenge or concerns about the grill?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
tac3331
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3cx

It is a tricky grill to wrap but can be done with patience. Xpel has the patterns for it. I would suggest getting a simplified aftermarket grill for appearance and make it an easier install for the detailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goheels1434 View Post
Hey guys, recently got front, roof, and side skirts Xpel PPF completed on my G80. Picked the car up yesterday. However, had something very unusual/unexpected and wanted to get feedback from those that have had front end PPF on G80/G82’s previously.

Shop is highly recommended, Xpel certified, great reviews. Really nice guy that runs the place, and fair price.

However, on picking my car up, and inspecting the work etc, pointing out what few seams there are, I asked about the grill and grill slats. He stated that he does not PPF those on the G80 because the grill slats cannot be made to look good when wrapped in PPF, and will lift etc. This was honestly shocking to me, because at no point in dropping the car off and discussing did that come up.

So I’ll ask everyone else on here that has had PPF done to the front bumper of the G80. Did your grill get PPF and did your installers express any challenge or concerns about the grill?
I have a 22 G82CX and had an Xpel installer put on PPF on the whole front but didn't do whole car, which has the ceramic coating. Their PPF does not adhere well to the black portions of the grill like other black plastic portions of the car i.e. mirrors, the rocker panel, side wing vent, etc. But he told me that he would try it. And he was right it didn't stick, but he did everything else. I have exterior CF package and that was not PPF'd. Xpel does have the patterns for the grill.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goheels1434 View Post

TBH I'm getting PPF on the entire front end, hood, roof, fenders and rockers and would NOT expect the grill to be PPF'd. It doesn't logically make any sense, and so I'm just as shocked at your response as you are that it wasn't done.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Question

It costs more to PPF the grill than a new OEM grill from BMW

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ro-51138081144

Non ACC

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...le-51138081142

eBay. WTF?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12534370939...5caee99188ac66

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic

https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666

Last edited by M4Tejas; 09-10-2022 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-11-2022, 02:42 AM   #6
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

The horizontal thin sections cannot be PPF’d, however the the thick sections on top can be apart from the lower ones as they are too small.

I’ll try and get a picture of mine later.
      09-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Hopefully this makes it clearer on what I was referring to.

Name:  91555D41-1EEC-4E19-91FC-B0322617DF90.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  204.4 KB
      09-11-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
Reson7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

My grill slats were all done. Have not had any issues with the PPF coming up, can't tell it's even there. I did have the PPF replaced on one of the slats because of stone chips that hit the PPF but that's it.
      09-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

I'd say don't worry about the grill, it's cheap to replace and aftermarket ones are better.
Appreciate 2
element561089.50
      09-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #10
Goheels1434
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanhfx View Post
TBH I'm getting PPF on the entire front end, hood, roof, fenders and rockers and would NOT expect the grill to be PPF'd. It doesn't logically make any sense, and so I'm just as shocked at your response as you are that it wasn't done.
My first time getting PPF on a car, and when I hear “full” front bumper, I do assume all parts.

General consensus seems to be that grill would commonly not be done, or only done partially. Fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
Goheels1434
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo-Wo View Post

Attachment 2979824
This is very helpful, thanks for explaining based on your true experience.
Appreciate 1
Wo-Wo278.00
      09-21-2022, 04:48 PM   #12
ominousM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp Xdrive

They did not do my grill slats and I'm ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #13
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo-Wo View Post

Attachment 2979824
I'm inclined to get the flat sections on the upper slats PPF'd when I get a 1-year inspection done next spring. I'm not concerned so much about stone chips, as I am about micro scratches over time. Last winter (before the pressure washer arrived and changed the game) I used a detail brush to remove salt spray residue from the grill slats. The slats' flat sections became visibly scratched within a couple months -- but were easily polished back to as-new with little efforts (with the right tool/product). The micro scratches haven't returned nearly as quickly, now that I'm using the pressure washer and foam cannon, but I'm wise now to how easily that gloss black trim scratches.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #14
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
First of all I can't believe how cheap a oem grille is compared to the aftermarket ones. Even the abs grille is 750-800. Anyways. I bought the abs vorsteiner grille and sent it out to IND to get paint match to the car which is black sapphire metallic. I seen they offer this when selling the grille and even with me buying it directly from vorsteiner they let me send it in…figured if there good enough for the reflector deletes they can do this……With that said I need ppf bc for sure the paint is gonna chip…is it possible to ppf the vorsteiner grille especially before it gets installed which I'm assuming will make it easier. If anyone has any recommendations for who can do this CORRECTLY for me in the nj/ny area I'd appreciate it. Thank you
Appreciate 0