09-02-2022, 03:59 PM   #309
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition M xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranckF1 View Post
After what happened to me, no more hope. Color is clearly discontinued, I have the mail from the factory to BMW Individual France.
At this point the best alternative seems to be going with Dravit grey and then doing a stealth wrap. Here's a member that did it (not an M3 but gives you an idea): https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1660787468

Also someone just told me I can also just get the car wrapped. Not sure how that would look though. Probably not great.
      09-02-2022, 04:10 PM   #310
FranckF1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 (G80,Euro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan1997 View Post
At this point the best alternative seems to be going with Dravit grey and then doing a stealth wrap. Here's a member that did it (not an M3 but gives you an idea): https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1660787468

Also someone just told me I can also just get the car wrapped. Not sure how that would look though. Probably not great.
Not bad... but my M340i is Dravit Grey (next to my Mustang). So I wanted to order another color. Dravit would have been my first choice if my M340i was in an other color.

So... finally decided to go with Skyscraper Grey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #311
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not bad... but my M340i is Dravit Grey (next to my Mustang). So I wanted to order another color. Dravit would have been my first choice if my M340i was in an other color.

So... finally decided to go with Skyscraper Grey.
Skyscraper is currently the front runner for me. I rarely see that colour in public here. I mostly see Brooklyn Grey and Black.
F80SRT695.50
      09-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #312
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4/G82 CSL

Quote:
Not bad... but my M340i is Dravit Grey (next to my Mustang). So I wanted to order another color.
Since you were planning for a frozen color in the first place (FDG), have you considered the new frozen colors? Check out my post: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1935399

I don't know if anyone has tried and asked their BMW dealership for some of the new colors on the list, but several are likely to be awesome on a G8x car, like Frozen Preciosa Red (P9C), Frozen Tulum Blue (P98), Frozen Purple (P9A), and Frozen Macao Blue (P99). Who knows, maybe your dealership will feel bad for its mistake with FDG and will push for you to get one of the world première of those new colors on your car. Worth a try!
Appreciate 1
FranckF11042.00
      09-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #313
FranckF1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Skyscraper is currently the front runner for me. I rarely see that colour in public here. I mostly see Brooklyn Grey and Black.
I read almost all topics in this forum during the last month before deciding. Brooklyn was also growing on me but I fear that, with time, I will regret it.

Last decision has been between Alpine white, because it puts all the carbon in its glory (and the grill...) and Skyscraper. Consider black also but too badass and hard to keep clean (south of France has not a lot of rain but when we have it is mostly rain with Sahara sand in it).
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2022, 07:50 AM   #314
FranckF1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymmetrick View Post
Since you were planning for a frozen color in the first place (FDG), have you considered the new frozen colors? Check out my post: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1935399

I don't know if anyone has tried and asked their BMW dealership for some of the new colors on the list, but several are likely to be awesome on a G8x car, like Frozen Preciosa Red (P9C), Frozen Tulum Blue (P98), Frozen Purple (P9A), and Frozen Macao Blue (P99). Who knows, maybe your dealership will feel bad for its mistake with FDG and will push for you to get one of the world première of those new colors on your car. Worth a try!
Not proposed yet here, i think it will only be launched with the Touring orders. Perhaps G80/82 will get them later?

Anyway, I decided to step away from Frozen. Reason ?

We don't have here (in France) as many shops like you doing detailing, PPF, coating, etc... as we have far less premium/luxury cars on the road. Hard to find good shops and the good ones are far from me (750 kilometers, Paris mostly, or 400 around Monaco/Cannes)... and as those ones are good/don't do many cars, the prices are much more expensive than yours.

Last edited by FranckF1; 09-03-2022 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
'Cane8519.00
      09-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #315
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I decided to step away from Frozen. Reason ?

We don't have here (in France) as many shops like you doing detailing, PPF, coating, etc... as we have far less premium/luxury cars on the road. Hard to find good shops and the good ones are far from me

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I couldn't agree more with you. Getting my FDG M3 fully PPFed was a "must" for peace of mind. Otherwise, every little piece of rock that hits the car (or more frequently, bumps in the wheel well) becomes a worry that takes away from the pleasure of driving the car. I wouldn't own a frozen color M3 if full PPF was not an option. It may be overkill, but it keeps a smile on my face when I drive the car, and just for that, it is well worth the expense!
Appreciate 2
FranckF11042.00
3some!15.00
      09-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #316
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I couldn't agree more with you. Getting my FDG M3 fully PPFed was a "must" for peace of mind. Otherwise, every little piece of rock that hits the car (or more frequently, bumps in the wheel well) becomes a worry that takes away from the pleasure of driving the car. I wouldn't own a frozen color M3 if full PPF was not an option. It may be overkill, but it keeps a smile on my face when I drive the car, and just for that, it is well worth the expense!
When I placed my order for FDG I had already consulted my local XPEL dealer for a full PPF. Even though FDG isn't available for 2023, I am still considering a full PPF, on a SSG, just for peace of mind, and to increase resale value.
      09-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #317
Asymmetrick
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Color is clearly discontinued, I have the mail from the factory to BMW Individual France.

Would you mind sharing that mail with the community? We've being hearing "rumors" on Bimmerpost that FDG was not available anymore, but nothing official was published by BMW.

It would be nice to get some closure on FDG and confirm once and for all that it is discontinued. Your mail with BMW Individual would do just that. It would also be helpful in future cases like yours when a salesperson makes a promise to customers s/he cannot fulfill.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 05:35 AM   #318
FranckF1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Would you mind sharing that mail with the community? We've being hearing "rumors" on Bimmerpost that FDG was not available anymore, but nothing official was published by BMW.

It would be nice to get some closure on FDG and confirm once and for all that it is discontinued. Your mail with BMW Individual would do just that. It would also be helpful in future cases like yours when a salesperson makes a promise to customers s/he cannot fulfill.
I will see if my dealer if i can share but I doubt it, it was a bit of a heated exchange between my dealer and the guy from BMW Individual France : why send a quote to my dealer / me if he doesn't verify at the factory first?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #319
FranckF1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Completely agree, it's already a very high end car here in France -certainly more "common" (not in a negative way) in Germany, Switzerland and of course USA. And that already is a worry just to own this type of car in my country (thieves, etc...). No need to add to the fire
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #320
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:

Be careful with Dravit Grey. I was excited about it until the local dealer received a 440i with that color, so I went to see it and .... it's awful, in my opinion. It can't make up its mind between brown and grey, and the combo of the two looks bad, especially in sunlight. Make sure you go see it before you order it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #321
RothwellSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 FDG XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinole View Post
Be careful with Dravit Grey. I was excited about it until the local dealer received a 440i with that color, so I went to see it and .... it's awful, in my opinion. It can't make up its mind between brown and grey, and the combo of the two looks bad, especially in sunlight. Make sure you go see it before you order it.
I agree with this 100%. Some people like it, but I was QUICK to shell out the 4500 extra to get FDG and wait an extra 2 months when I saw dravit. The gold just doesn't look good in my opinion. I would have gone with gunmetal, grey black or grigio telestro before dravit. I saw it on a 4 series before I speced my m3. The M3 has much better curves, but I still think there are much better choices. The gold is just so bad in the sun. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
phinole25.50
      09-10-2022, 10:09 AM   #322
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothwellSF View Post
I agree with this 100%. Some people like it, but I was QUICK to shell out the 4500 extra to get FDG and wait an extra 2 months when I saw dravit. The gold just doesn't look good in my opinion. I would have gone with gunmetal, grey black or grigio telestro before dravit. I saw it on a 4 series before I speced my m3. The M3 has much better curves, but I still think there are much better choices. The gold is just so bad in the sun. Just my opinion.
Yep, exactly how I perceived it. The Grigio looks pretty cool in photos, but I'd have to see it in person before I took the leap of faith.

On another note, does anyone have any photos of the new Frozen Pure Grey II? I've configured this vehicle, and BMW's site does not communicate these colors accurately to me. I've been looking for photos online, but all I can find is Frozen Pure Grey, not II.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #323
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothwellSF View Post
Yep, exactly how I perceived it. The Grigio looks pretty cool in photos, but I'd have to see it in person before I took the leap of faith.

On another note, does anyone have any photos of the new Frozen Pure Grey II? I've configured this vehicle, and BMW's site does not communicate these colors accurately to me. I've been looking for photos online, but all I can find is Frozen Pure Grey, not II.
Well I don't find the gold flakes hideous like the rest of you. That said, I prefer grey black and Grigio telesto as well. I've never seen them in person though. I don't know how much more they cost in Canada and not thrilled about extra lead time. All this would be moot had BMW not decided to discontinue FDG, my original choice.

If I get something non individual, SSG is the current front runner for me.
      09-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #324
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 FDG & 22 X3M BG

Anybody have any pics of their FDG with aftermarket rims? I'm looking for some inspiration for a winter rim and tire package.
Thank you in advanced!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #325
RNemesisN63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit M850

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Wraps have come a long way as long as you go with a reputable shop. I looked at both options wrapping dravit in stealth or wrapping in another color entirely. I grabbed some bigger samples from R-vinyl to see what each would look like and just wasn't liking the look of stealth dravit. Almost like muted battleship, and kind of lightened it up.

Here's a 6 series that was wrapped in Satin Dark Grey back in 2016 similar to FDG https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233731

For what it's worth when I was calling around PPF stealth was more than twice the price of getting it wrapped in another color due to the protective factor. vs. wrap the car ceramic coat and ppf just the front end. Decided to go the wrap route.
      10-01-2022, 01:27 AM   #326
MWPcompM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition

Just to confirm no ones has been successful to order this in a 2023 US model, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #327
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPcompM3 View Post
Just to confirm no ones has been successful to order this in a 2023 US model, right?
I haven't seen any evidence of this. My dealer checked with BMW Individual and informed me it's not available.

Has anyone seen pics of Frozen Pure Grey? It might me nice enough for me to order it as the next best alternative.
      10-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #328
Patsfan1997
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Does anyone know why Frozen Pure Grey is available on the BMW USA and UK configurators, but NOT on the BMW Canada site or the BMW Individual Visualizer? Also, any idea what's the difference between Frozen Pure Grey (UK site) and Frozen Pure Grey II (USA site)?
      10-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #329
mthreesixty3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera (991.2)

Any chance this becomes available for MY24?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #330
RothwellSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 FDG XDrive

I have a '22 Frozen dark grey M3 xDrive Silverstone carbon buckets, both carbon packages, executive package, black calipers. 96k MSRP. If someone had to have FDG, I would consider selling above MSRP. 1400 miles, break in service done and full front clear ppf. Immaculate car.

I don't want to sell, im not in a forced financial position to sell, I have the title in hand. But with FDG being discontinued, I am open to selling or trading with cash on top, to get another color.

Just putting this out there incase someone is looking and must have FDG.

Last edited by RothwellSF; 10-04-2022 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: forgot to add xDrive
Appreciate 1
phinole25.50