BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

10-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #287
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
The market is telling BMW not to put huge gaudy decals on the roof of M3s. BMW should listen, iterate, and make a better collaboration next time.

Without proper feedback this won't happen. No need to give participation trophies for the sake "expression". This is not a pre-K paint by a 3 year old where we should be encouraging free expression. This is a product by a Billion dollar multi-national corporation where the majority of the potential customers are not engaging with this direction.

They should listen and react.
I'm assuming by market, you're referring to car people, but that market you're referring to is not the same market BMW is doing this for - this was never meant to be for the mass majority like the actual special editions BMW does themselves.

The mass majority can kick and scream, but they're doing it in an empty room where no one is listening because this collaboration was never meant to satisfy the car enthusiast or the mass majority who closely follows BMW.

Personally, I don't see what the huge issue is with the collaboration. I would never buy it but I can appreciate the efforts BMW puts in to branching out to different cultures and reaching out to different people. You will never see this with Audi or Mercedes, or at least to the extent that BMW does and that's why I don't have the same attraction I do with those brands than I do with BMW. That's not to say I value BMW's cultural outreach more than their actual cars but it adds to the ownership of a BMW.
The collaboration is not the issue. That's not the argument. I own a technology brand and we target streetwear aggressively. My specific issue is with the style of the collaboration. Kith E30 M3 was flawless. Why not carry the same styling to the G80? It's no choosing Kith/Supreme/or any other streetwear brand. It's the specific design direction that I'm objecting to.
Regardless, no one can make the argument or conclude that the majority hates this - somebody likes it which is why the pre-orders have already sold out. Your company targets streetwear and I'm sure you have done your research and you went with the approach you thought was the right one - can't argue that. But BMW reached out to Kith and they decided to do the M4 in a way they thought would be received by those they are targeting.

Ultimately, most disagree because of how much branding and how the branding was applied - the group of people who this caters to loves the flash of branding - this individual could be wearing Supreme, Anti Social Club, Off White and Balanciaga all at one time, there's nothing subtle about what they're wearing, same with this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #288
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe they'll come out with a Debbie Downer collaboration for all of the haters.
Nah. Just wondering why the huge decal on the roof and the $40K price tag that's all.
Why shouldn't we be excited about the creative efforts being made? Will they all work for everyone? No. However, these will likely lead to cool things that different folks may love. They are called lifestyle offerings. People have different lifestyles. In short, think about and maybe even support where these efforts can lead, even is you don't like this one effort.
I'm not one to condone participation trophies.

Just like you like it, and support it, I don't like it and don't support it.

Remove the roof decal and gaudy ///Kith badge and it might have potential.
I'm not a fan of this particular venture, but I see how this could lead to some cool things. Open your mind and read what's written. Not sure where you got a participation trophy out of this. BMW will sell all of these for the premium. Do/would you tell your kids to try something new even if it fails or not try at all for fear of failure?
The market is telling BMW not to put huge gaudy decals on the roof of M3s. BMW should listen, iterate, and make a better collaboration next time.

Without proper feedback this won't happen. No need to give participation trophies for the sake "expression". This is not a pre-K paint by a 3 year old where we should be encouraging free expression. This is a product by a Billion dollar multi-national corporation where the majority of the potential customers are not engaging with this direction.

One day you might realize that while you think you're in the majority, you really aren't. I get a kick out of seeing how many people in this forum think they are the majority on the M demographic and know how to build a car better than the M division itself for the purpose of making money and furthering the brand. It's delusional.
Appreciate 4
duky1313.00
JDUNITNOW3453.00
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #289
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not something I would buy into, but I have no hatred to those who would. Now if BMW offered the embossing of my initials into the seats as an option rather than someone else's then hummm ...?

The BMW brand is not part of my identity and I have no feeling of being cheated on by BMW in our relationship as I have always known that such relationship is not exclusive and that they were never driven to, nor have they ever promised to, please just me! Thus no need for me to be offended nor angry and no need for me to be hateful towards different.

To those who just can't accept different, I will break it to you, BMW is a business. It is, has, and always will be, about increasing markets and making more money. Sales will guide BMW marketing decisions and not you or me.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 10-25-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #290
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe they'll come out with a Debbie Downer collaboration for all of the haters.
Nah. Just wondering why the huge decal on the roof and the $40K price tag that's all.
Why shouldn't we be excited about the creative efforts being made? Will they all work for everyone? No. However, these will likely lead to cool things that different folks may love. They are called lifestyle offerings. People have different lifestyles. In short, think about and maybe even support where these efforts can lead, even is you don't like this one effort.
I don't think anyone hates this car on this forum, but the issue is with the replacement of M badge with that name. It's an M3 and not Kith3
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #291
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenitoBlanco View Post
the connection is just a personal one for Ronnie Fieg (Kith founder). he grew up adoring the E30 because his grandfather had one and would drive him around in it. Ronnie worked with BMW to get his own E30 restored and that's what started this whole thing. If you haven't seen his restored E30 I recommend you check out his Instagram, it turned out beautifully and it's more more understated than his G82.
Just checked it out - his M3 is great. Makes more sense in that case. His ///M cardigans are a bit of a laugh.

Still - would like to see a Kith / BMW works entry in F1 to tap into both sides of the heritage
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #292
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a fan of this particular venture, but I see how this could lead to some cool things. Open your mind and read what's written. Not sure where you got a participation trophy out of this. BMW will sell all of these for the premium. Do/would you tell your kids to try something new even if it fails or not try at all for fear of failure?

One day you might realize that while you think you're in the majority, you really aren't. I get a kick out of seeing how many people in this forum think they are the majority on the M demographic and know how to build a car better than the M division itself for the purpose of making money and furthering the brand. It's delusional.
Making the assumption that every brand knows what they are doing is a big mistake. I can see you know very little about product development and user feedback.

Bimmerpost is one of the primarily voices BMW should listen to. And they are here, they browse, read and participate on this forum. If you think telling BMW they shouldn't put a massive gaudy decal on the roof of their special edition models is "telling BMW what to do" then you are the one that's delusional. It's simple called "product feedback".

But again, people should vote with their wallets. The M3 becoming the racer boy vehicle of choice will just cause the loyal fan base to move somewhere else.
      10-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #293
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

i mean are ppl gonna be happier if they partnered with the cliche watch brands or some luxury designers like what maserati does?

Just like the grille they are trying something different to , and it's 150 unit limited run that's already sold out. It got the social media buzz and 14 pages of discussion on our enthusiast forum, goal achieved.

I don't think the actual buying demographics is changing much but it's about reaching out to more people, and if they see fit to spend the $$ to do the marketing then all power to them.
      10-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #294
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anyone hates this car on this forum, but the issue is with the replacement of M badge with that name. It's an M3 and not Kith3
Kith3 never appears on the car. MKith does. Plus, It's an M4, not an M3. M4 is also clearly placed on the grill. Just wanted to make sure that you were upset over the right things.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #295
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Making the assumption that every brand knows what they are doing is a big mistake. I can see you know very little about product development and user feedback.

Bimmerpost is one of the primarily voices BMW should listen to. And they are here, they browse, read and participate on this forum. If you think telling BMW they shouldn't put a massive gaudy decal on the roof of their special edition models is "telling BMW what to do" then you are the one that's delusional. It's simple called "product feedback".

But again, people should vote with their wallets. The M3 becoming the racer boy vehicle of choice will just cause the loyal fan base to move somewhere else.
Your statement of "The market is telling BMW not to put huge gaudy decals on the roof of M3s. BMW should listen, iterate, and make a better collaboration next time" is what's delusional. The relatively few folks on Bimmerpost are a small segment of "the market." There is likely a huge market (aka China and elsewhere) that will gobble this stuff up. A few people who don't like one special edition on a specialized forum does not make a market, no matter how much you value your own opinion or how much importance you give yourself. These guys know what there doing, not everybody is going to like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #296
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Your statement of "The market is telling BMW not to put huge gaudy decals on the roof of M3s. BMW should listen, iterate, and make a better collaboration next time" is what's delusional. The relatively few folks on Bimmerpost are a small segment of "the market." There is likely a huge market (aka China and elsewhere) that will gobble this stuff up. A few people who don't like one special edition on a specialized forum does not make a market, no matter how much you value your own opinion or how much importance you give yourself. These guys know what there doing, not everybody is going to like it.
This is a US-only special edition

This is not a specialized forum. It's one of the largest BMW communities in the US. The opinion of the members here it's extremely valuable and important. I'll be shocked if the combined purchasing power from Bimmerpost members is not in excess of $1B.

It'll be illogical for BMW to ignore the opinion of loyal enthusiasts with such buying power.
      10-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #297
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
More like BMW M4 x Kitsch.
      10-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #298
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

This is not a specialized forum. It's one of the largest BMW communities in the US. The opinion of the members here it's extremely valuable and important. I'll be shocked if the combined purchasing power from Bimmerpost members is not in excess of $1B.

It'll be illogical for BMW to ignore the opinion of loyal enthusiasts with such buying power.
Relax, its marketing to a niche market. Its 150 cars for heaven sakes. How does BMW marketing have anything to do with anyone on this forum other than ones opinion if they like the car or not when all 150 are already sold. I guess at least 150 people liked it.

Bimmerpost members with $1B (?) in sales kicking BMW's ass every chance we can because we are the most important BMW market! 🙄
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #299
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
Quote:

Relax, its marketing to a niche market. Its 150 cars for heaven sakes. How does BMW marketing have anything to do with anyone on this forum other than ones opinion if they like the car or not when all 150 are already sold. I guess at least 150 people liked it.

Bimmerpost members with $1B (?) in sales kicking BMW's ass every chance we can because we are the most important BMW market! ��
It almost sounds like a exclusive club, only certain cars are excepted or income. Whats next, nationality, age or color of your skin. Thats how it starts. I am really not trying to stir up controversy but from the comments here, I get that sunken feeling. I got off this forum once before because of the snide remarks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but not at the cost of insulting others. Freedom of speech comes with a cost.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #300
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Not sure if this was already posted, but this is a good close up walk around.

This is the first video where I actually like it.. looks pretty sick in Frozen Black.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #301
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
It's the ultimate foreign exchange student car.
Wouldn't catch a foreign exchange student dead in KITH tbh, lol, its not a very upscale brand
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #302
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #303
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalRenegade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
It's the ultimate foreign exchange student car.
Wouldn't catch a foreign exchange student dead in KITH tbh, lol, its not a very upscale brand
What makes KITH any worse than SUPREME or some of the other brands I see foreign exchange students wearing?!? My question is sincere. It seems that KITH is on its way up and a collab with BMW is only improving the portfolio.

https://us.fashionnetwork.com/news/C...e-,899058.html
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #304
Jbravo33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Corny asf
      10-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #305
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
What makes KITH any worse than SUPREME or some of the other brands I see foreign exchange students wearing?!? My question is sincere. It seems that KITH is on its way up and a collab with BMW is only improving the portfolio.

https://us.fashionnetwork.com/news/C...e-,899058.html
Not too sure about US, but Exchange students here in Canada don't wear "streets" brands anymore lol

Its all LV, Gucci, Dior, Burberry, Thom Browne, Givenchy, etc
Now its all super upscale with great quality, not even supreme lol or Bape

Maybe KITH is huge in the states, a lot more hypebeasts over there maybe?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24814.00
      10-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #306
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kith3 never appears on the car. MKith does. Plus, It's an M4, not an M3. M4 is also clearly placed on the grill. Just wanted to make sure that you were upset over the right things.
Lol..thanks for the clarification
M3/M4 is same thing for me.
Kith badge is not. :
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #307
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I really wanted to like this car..........Sorry BMW ya messed up.

Now this collaboration just makes it even "cheesier". Terrible. Who on earth is KITH????...........LOL.

The M3 competition has some hope.....looks nicer than the M4.

X3 - X7 = GREAT job!

but this is overkill and making the BMW look like a Lexus.

Well, hopefully someone comes out with the kit to make it look a little nicer. Seems like it will be selling a lot like the 4 cylinder Porsche Cayman was selling........
      10-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #308
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:

I know a lot of NYC M enthusiasts...none of them are on here. Some are, most aren't. Some lurk but don't post/have accounts. I would venture less than 10% of M car owners are on here.

What did we sell, 35,000 F80s? How come there's only maybe 1,000 (or far less) of us that are squawking all day long?

We are the most dedicated of the breed, sure. But non forum money goes a lot further than forum money. It's not a "specialized forum," correct. BUt the people on here are a special breed, that's for sure.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24814.00
JDUNITNOW3453.00
Closed Thread