home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
TitanNut88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CxDrive & GR Yaris

Question about the Akrapovic Sound Kit

I got the Akrapovic slip-on exhaust for my G80 installed last week. I’m satisfied with the system overall, the volume is louder (much, much louder on startup) and the looks are such an improvement (specially the lack of the huge back box from the back view).

I also got the Sound Kit as all the suppliers recommended it. Getting this kit is the only regret I have. I find it useless. Theoretically, the exhaust valves work the same way as with the OEM system (I was expecting it and it is what I wanted), but I don’t find any use to the kit other than being able to open the valves with the engine mode other than in Sport+ mode. On that mode, when clicking the remote controlled, it “tells” you that the valves are already open and it doesn’t apply any change to the sound or the valves behavior.

Is this what you really get for around 500 bucks?
      12-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
It does what every other valve controller does. Allow you to over ride the OEM and force valves 100% open at any throttle setting. I too just installed my Akra as well, and didn't bother installing the sound kit as I already had a valve controller anyway. Oddly, Akra doesn't make it clear what the purpose of this expensive controller is and none of their documents really help either. Meh.
Appreciate 0