BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

Frozen paint owners, how is maintenance?

Ok, I know there are many discussions in the forum about the maintenance concerns on the frozen paint... but once and for all, for those who actually own the frozen currently, are the concerns a myth or is it really that "bad" to own one? I am not concerned about the washing but the scratches and rock chips, you folks own it for a while now, how's the paint holding up... how's the front bumper with rock chips? And is it true that you can't really "touch-up" the chips and minor scratches? So there is no touch-up paint - I know it may not be exact match but still better than showing the "white" spots
So, if I can get some really good insight from the actual owners, be greatly appreciated... I am really leaning on the Frozen Grey but afraid the car will look like schit after like a year (I know there is Xpel Stealth or Satin but that would defeat the purpose of getting "matte" paint to begin with)
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50
      06-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperor View Post
Ok, I know there are many discussions in the forum about the maintenance concerns on the frozen paint... but once and for all, for those who actually own the frozen currently, are the concerns a myth or is it really that "bad" to own one? I am not concerned about the washing but the scratches and rock chips, you folks own it for a while now, how's the paint holding up... how's the front bumper with rock chips? And is it true that you can't really "touch-up" the chips and minor scratches? So there is no touch-up paint - I know it may not be exact match but still better than showing the "white" spots
So, if I can get some really good insight from the actual owners, be greatly appreciated... I am really leaning on the Frozen Grey but afraid the car will look like schit after like a year (I know there is Xpel Stealth or Satin but that would defeat the purpose of getting "matte" paint to begin with)
Thanks.
+1

FWIW, my sales contact warned me away from it. Great if you're leasing and don't care. He had nothing positive to say about ppf in terms of how it changes the look of the frozen paint.

I was set on frozen portimao initially, now 99% confident I'll order an Individual colour.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Majority of the fear comes from non-Frozen owners. I own a Frozen White G80, and the finish is totally worth it. Frozen colors almost never photograph well, but in the flesh it’s something else.

On to your concerns... I’m a DIY detailer and have seriously enjoyed detailing/washing/cleaning the finish. It’s not harder than gloss, but some of it is different.

As you know, and scratches or paint damage cannot be corrected with an orbital. BUT, touching up rock chips is completely possible... I did it earlier today. I found a company called “scratches happen” and they have pretty much any color ever made. The thing with touching up on a frozen finish, is that you can’t finish it off with a high grit sanding to smooth it out. I was able to get my rock chip looking pretty good (so small that I used tooth picks to apply the paint).

I look at it like this.... every nice car I’ve owned in the past, M car of other sports car, I have had plenty of rock chips and/or battle damage from daily driving. I always took care of the issue in my garage, and it’s no different with frozen. Obviously, a big enough scratch would need a panel repaint, but the same goes for gloss... a bad scratch or damage down to bare metal will either be touched up or repainted.

I have been daily driving my G80 for the past 1500 miles, mostly highway. I applied Dr Beasley’s ceramic coating, so I have no concerns with bug guts of water spots. And so far, one very small chip... I’m leaning towards a rock on the highway, but my suspicious side thinks it might have been from the dealer during the break in service.

Anyways, enough rambling, frozen is extremely gratifying, totally worth the slight increase in upkeep. And I really think the frozen colors have finally found their niche on the G8x generation. It goes so well with this body.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50
      06-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

I was going to get Frozen White at South Bay BMW where I bought at least 7 cars over the past 15 years, they now belong to McKenna and offered me a deal...only 10k over MSRP. I just laughed. But the color was so tempting to keep grinding them but some fool came in and gave them 13k over sticker.

Congrats on your color.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Majority of the fear comes from non-Frozen owners. I own a Frozen White G80, and the finish is totally worth it. Frozen colors almost never photograph well, but in the flesh it’s something else.

On to your concerns... I’m a DIY detailer and have seriously enjoyed detailing/washing/cleaning the finish. It’s not harder than gloss, but some of it is different.

As you know, and scratches or paint damage cannot be corrected with an orbital. BUT, touching up rock chips is completely possible... I did it earlier today. I found a company called “scratches happen” and they have pretty much any color ever made. The thing with touching up on a frozen finish, is that you can’t finish it off with a high grit sanding to smooth it out. I was able to get my rock chip looking pretty good (so small that I used tooth picks to apply the paint).

I look at it like this.... every nice car I’ve owned in the past, M car of other sports car, I have had plenty of rock chips and/or battle damage from daily driving. I always took care of the issue in my garage, and it’s no different with frozen. Obviously, a big enough scratch would need a panel repaint, but the same goes for gloss... a bad scratch or damage down to bare metal will either be touched up or repainted.

I have been daily driving my G80 for the past 1500 miles, mostly highway. I applied Dr Beasley’s ceramic coating, so I have no concerns with bug guts of water spots. And so far, one very small chip... I’m leaning towards a rock on the highway, but my suspicious side thinks it might have been from the dealer during the break in service.

Anyways, enough rambling, frozen is extremely gratifying, totally worth the slight increase in upkeep. And I really think the frozen colors have finally found their niche on the G8x generation. It goes so well with this body.
I don't own yet, but have a frozen dark gray in production. Agree 100% with all you said. Frozen, not frozen, chips happen. My 2016 alpine white f90 has gotten plenty over the years. If you enjoy detailing (and I do) then it doesn't seem like a hassle. Frozen on the G80 looks awesome. I will get xpel stealth on front bumper only since I know this will get beat up and then ceramic the rest. I've seen the xpel stealth and it really changes the color in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:19 PM   #6
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

I have frozen blue and it’s my first frozen color car.

I love the freakin color and pictures do not do any justice that for sure however, I wouldn’t buy another frozen color car. I would have bought a normal color and stealth wrapped it.

I am wrapping my entire car because I am afraid of messing up the paint and I do plan on rallying (bucket list). However, it’s a nice feeling that not a lot of people have the frozen paint
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:54 PM   #7
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Im also in SoCal.. We should link up. Im looking to do the Corsa Rally and waiting for NuRally to drop the next location. Do you do any of the SoCal Bmw Meets or events? Also some trackdays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixtial View Post
I have frozen blue and it’s my first frozen color car.

I love the freakin color and pictures do not do any justice that for sure however, I wouldn’t buy another frozen color car. I would have bought a normal color and stealth wrapped it.

I am wrapping my entire car because I am afraid of messing up the paint and I do plan on rallying (bucket list). However, it’s a nice feeling that not a lot of people have the frozen paint
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:34 AM   #8
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly9987 View Post
Im also in SoCal.. We should link up. Im looking to do the Corsa Rally and waiting for NuRally to drop the next location. Do you do any of the SoCal Bmw Meets or events? Also some trackdays?
I’m down to link up, I’m from the OC. I don’t do any meets or track days but always down to if time allows it.
Appreciate 0