home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-11-2024, 03:01 PM   #23
Wombo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Been a while, but got a few more slight external changes:

Got the SST valve controller from looking at a bunch of reviews, install was quick and easy, hid the controller in that one "compartment" in the driver side rear fender. Car is way louder with valves fully open, and the burbles become almost obnoxious, but its nice to be loud when I want to and then force everything closed in the mornings so I don't disturb the neighbors too much.

Installed some MP style side skirts and rear spats to help widen the car out a bit more, and match the lines that the front end already had with the lip. Fitment on the spats is perfect, but the side skirts were a bit short, and install was a pain. Talked to the shop I got them from and originally was going to ship them back and get a replacement, but decided in the end to just continue rocking these as besides the small fitment issue, the rest of it was perfect. (and the shop gave me some credits towards my next purchase which helped )

Finally, procured another set of 826Ms so I could run a squared setup of the 20s. Tried swapping my spacers around first so there was 12F/15R, but the front rubbed horrendously even with my fender liner already trimmed, so I downsized to 5mm. 5 still rubs a slight bit occasionally on full lock reversing, but not always. Garage photos are with the 12/15 setup, outdoor photos are the current 5/15.

On a side note I drove around a bit with the 20s on, but the pair that I bought secondhand didn't have tpms. I expected my tpms light to come on, but what I didn't expect was a surprise CEL after about 5 mins of driving (tpms didn't come on until maybe 20 mins). Took the car to an O'Reilly's but neither OBD scanner they used found any codes (despite the CEL being there the whole time). Decided to go to a friend's who had bimmerlink to clear the codes, but as I was getting in the car to leave the CEL mysteriously dissapeared. We still found some errors to clear, but none of them seemed to be anything serious (obviously had some related to not being able to detect tpms in the rear, but nothing about the engine or transmission like I worried about). Car isn't tuned though so worst case I was just going to take it to the dealer, but now with all 4 tpms installed the car seems to be back to normal. Ride is a bit firmer as expected, but I like the look and now I can rotate. These Pirellis are melting real fast though, 4750 miles and I'm at 4/32" on my original rear set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:29 PM   #24
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombo View Post
Picked up my G80 last weekend in San Antonio and decided to document the full build every step of the way. The goal is to make it the ultimate daily driver. Coming from a MKV Supra, I liked the b58 powertrain, but wanted the full M experience along with the ridiculous grip of the xDrive system. Also wanted rear doors since I often take others with me and having room for just one passenger isn't enough (though I did manage to cram a friend in the trunk once).
Man, we have a similar journey. I came from an A90 as well and was ready for a better car for the whole family. I will say though: I am still in break-in but I was NOT prepared for how big a forward step the G80 is over the A90. The level of no-drama performance is just astounding.
Appreciate 0