BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

07-06-2023, 10:52 PM   #1
Bxss
Minor General
Rep
Drives: G80

Allocation Confusion

Hey fellow BMW owners, hope everyone is doing well. I'm fairly new to this whole buying process and honestly, I'm a bit confused so please no hate i came across this dealer that could get an M3 and I made a $5000 deposit in May, im not sure how long these usually take but i think its around 3 months according to my salesman. When I sent in my spec he sent me a buildsheet. i just want to make sure that im not missing anything, I saw on the forums that when you place a deposit you are supposed to get the production number along with the build sheet but i never got one. Please let me know if im missing something and sorry if a sound like anoob
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:57 PM   #2
kingofpena
Kingofpena
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xDrive SMB

Yes if that dealer has an allocation/build slot and the order was accepted by BMW you should have a production number. I would talk to your sales advisor at the dealer to clarify the situation.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      07-06-2023, 11:06 PM   #3
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxss View Post
Hey fellow BMW owners, hope everyone is doing well. I'm fairly new to this whole buying process and honestly, I'm a bit confused so please no hate i came across this dealer that could get an M3 and I made a $5000 deposit in May, im not sure how long these usually take but i think its around 3 months according to my salesman. When I sent in my spec he sent me a buildsheet. i just want to make sure that im not missing anything, I saw on the forums that when you place a deposit you are supposed to get the production number along with the build sheet but i never got one. Please let me know if im missing something and sorry if a sound like anoob
You don’t get a production number when you place a deposit. Every dealer is different so we can’t say whether you have something in production or not.
I’d clarify with your sales associate and ask them if they have an allocation for you.
      07-06-2023, 11:11 PM   #4
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Look on the build sheet they sent you. Does it have production number?
If not u just on waitlist to get production number and bulls week.
If you have production then u can call genius and get ur production week.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

My deposit was $2500 and I was given a build sheet with my order number on it. Next day I called Genius and they confirmed they saw my order number in their system.

If you don’t have an order number then you might only be waiting in line for an allocation. Get your build number.
kgelfen3602217.00
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 08:32 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Agreed. I would never place a deposit just to "be on the list". Honestly if you placed a deposit and they said "it'll take 3 months" they didn't have an allocation for you. They are just keeping you a spot in line for when they do get one.

An allocation means they have a configurable build number. If you don't have that, they are just jerking your chain as there is no guarantee you're getting a car. Clarify if you have a build number and honestly, if you don't, I'd pull your deposit and go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #7
ChemLab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current - 2023 RAM TRX

In Austin you have to give a deposit or you'll not be on a list. I understand I can search the US for the occasional allocation, but I want to deal locally and all M cars are MSRP deals, mostly, so I got on the list.

I'm 4th for an M4, so, should get an allocation in a month or two.

I just need to figure out color!
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #8
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemLab View Post
In Austin you have to give a deposit or you'll not be on a list. I understand I can search the US for the occasional allocation, but I want to deal locally and all M cars are MSRP deals, mostly, so I got on the list.

IOMG is the answer 🤣
      07-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #9
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

If you put in a $5000 deposit in May and you still dont have a production number, then you are just on their wait list. You can ask them how many people are ahead of you on the wait list and see what your rough wait times are. If you are first or second on the list, it might be worth the wait, if you are way down, I would cancel your order and take your money elsewhere. Most dealerships want you to put in 1000-$2500 token money to place orders and be on their wait list, some dealerships dont take any money at all (maybe returning customers or high volume dealership) but 5K is a bit too much to be waiting on a list.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemLab View Post

Screw that noise. Holding your money just to be on a list? I don't get these dealers.

I literally called College Station two weeks ago, left my name, and got a call yesterday about an allocation that was at 112 status.

Or just work with Day Laborer and see what he can get you. His fee vs. giving a dealer money just to wait is well worth it.
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5463.00
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 10:04 AM   #11
ChemLab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current - 2023 RAM TRX

I got the same call! From Blake. I passed as I prefer the M4. I was shocked and damn near took it out if sheer panic. 😄

I get you though. I don't want to give them $1,500 this early, but. It does keep the lists shorter. They're also ~6 miles from me, which is nice.

I pinged a couple brokers - Maryland was as close as they had. Too far. Shipping would be $2k easy. I actually want the car around December, so I should be fine even if I opt for Individual paint.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #12
Thorsveinyhammer
WSB Ape
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1811516
Appreciate 2
M4ord791.50
Bxss85.00
      07-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #13
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Look on the build sheet they sent you. Does it have production number?
If not u just on waitlist to get production number and bulls week.
If you have production then u can call genius and get ur production week.
I got the Vehicle Inquiry report but the only thing that shows is the order status: 047. no production number or Vin
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #14
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
My deposit was $2500 and I was given a build sheet with my order number on it. Next day I called Genius and they confirmed they saw my order number in their system.

If you don’t have an order number then you might only be waiting in line for an allocation. Get your build number.
really? my build sheet doesn't have a build number, Vin, or production number. im pretty bummed out that I placed 5000 down 3 months ago..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:56 PM   #15
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
If you put in a $5000 deposit in May and you still dont have a production number, then you are just on their wait list. You can ask them how many people are ahead of you on the wait list and see what your rough wait times are. If you are first or second on the list, it might be worth the wait, if you are way down, I would cancel your order and take your money elsewhere. Most dealerships want you to put in 1000-$2500 token money to place orders and be on their wait list, some dealerships dont take any money at all (maybe returning customers or high volume dealership) but 5K is a bit too much to be waiting on a list.
Yeah I placed the deposit on May 30th, and I do agree 5000 dollars is very pricey. but he said to me that he doesn't have a production date for my car and that the spec is in the order bank. Im just bummed out honestly, I see everyone receiving a build week and placing very little deposit amounts and im just here waiting for even a production number and I think the 5000 dollars is non refundable. idk what I should do, im going to text to see how far up im on the list
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:58 PM   #16
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

yea I read the thread before but im just confused because when people placed a deposit just like OP, they got a production number and I haven't received mines yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Screw that noise. Holding your money just to be on a list? I don't get these dealers.

I literally called College Station two weeks ago, left my name, and got a call yesterday about an allocation that was at 112 status.

Or just work with Day Laborer and see what he can get you. His fee vs. giving a dealer money just to wait is well worth it.
Yeah I placed the deposit at Braman West Palm Beach, I was ??? at first because at another dealership the deposit was only 1200 but I pulled out since WPB said they can get the wait time shorter but im surprised you got an allocation in 2 weeks... or maybe im just unlucky. in the beginning my salesman tried to make me do a finance application but I said ill be buying it cash so he just gave me the credit card authorization form to place the deposit and that was it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 01:10 PM   #18
bwoodahl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS6

Quote:
I got the Vehicle Inquiry report but the only thing that shows is the order status: 047. no production number or Vin
Until your dealer receives an allocation and then gives it to you, you don’t have much. But I’m guessing you know this.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 01:16 PM   #19
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
really? my build sheet doesn't have a build number, Vin, or production number. im pretty bummed out that I placed 5000 down 3 months ago..
Don’t worry about the deposit, even non refundable you can get back. Check your local state laws

If you paid by credit card even better. You’re one phone call & chargeback away, from getting your money refunded.

You should reach out to other dealers or our resident insider broker Day Laborer He’s a stand up guy
tatarwj378.00
      07-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #20
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Don’t worry about the deposit, even non refundable you can get back. Check your local state laws

If you paid by credit card even better. You’re one phone call & chargeback away, from getting your money refunded.

You should reach out to other dealers or our resident insider broker Day Laborer He’s a stand up guy
has anyone worked with Day Laborer ? I've never heard from him before but it looks like he has a good rep and what does he do?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #21
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
has anyone worked with Day Laborer ? I've never heard from him before but it looks like he has a good rep and what does he do?
A car broker who finds allocations as well. Plenty of folks here have worked with him
      07-07-2023, 03:31 PM   #22
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Yeah I placed the deposit on May 30th, and I do agree 5000 dollars is very pricey. but he said to me that he doesn't have a production date for my car and that the spec is in the order bank. Im just bummed out honestly, I see everyone receiving a build week and placing very little deposit amounts and im just here waiting for even a production number and I think the 5000 dollars is non refundable. idk what I should do, im going to text to see how far up im on the list
Im sorry to hear this. Is this Braman BMW? I cant believe they are still doing non-refundable deposits with the current market. I will push your CA to give you the exact number on the wait list in the orderbank and how many are ahead of you. So he needs to give u the exact amount of people who are in the orderbank thats are ahead of you. Based on that, if you feel that you are far down the list, you need to go to the GM of the dealership and complain about the CA and see if he could have your deposit refunded. It might be worth the effort as it looks like classic bait and switch on the part of the CA.

Last edited by Aalfred; 07-07-2023 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0