BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

07-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #1
WhtGhst
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 (ordered), Bronco

Ordering

Hi all, hoping to join the g80 club here soon! Went to the local dealer yesterday and talked thru the build I specd out online. Put down my $2500 deposit and was told that I’d hear back this morning with order details etc…. I didn’t hear anything until I emailed the GM of the dealership this evening and then promptly got a call from the sales rep. I was told that they had to talk to their rep with BMW and it could take up to three weeks to get an answer on my order, but hopefully they’d have some info on monday morning. They said that this is the first MY24 M3 they’ve dealt with. Not really sure what to think here…..would appreciate any insight from those that may know what’s going on here. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 08:17 PM   #2
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Well, in a nutshell, you don’t have a firm order (for an actual car) until the dealer gets an allocation. Once they do, they should give you a Production # almost immediately. Then you’re waiting somewhere around 2-3 months for arrival.

For some, the wait for an allocation is the longest part. Some may wait a few days, while others may wait 6-12 months for that allocation. If this dealer can’t give you an allocation (and subsequent production #) within a month or two, you may want to put your name on waitlists at other dealers.

Or you could just use a broker like Day Laborer (and pay a small fee) to get an allocation almost immediately.

Hope this helps.
Needsdecaf6606.00
      07-22-2023, 08:25 PM   #3
vmoney89
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

I'm assuming you didn't get a production number?

A couple more questions:
1. Did they say you would be on a waitlist? If so, how deep is the waitlist?
2. Are you tied to this dealership?
3. Is the deposit refundable? (should be)

If you're not tied to the dealership, may want to start calling others and see if any of them have allocation for the G80. And if they don't, ask them how many people are on the waitlist, because without a production number your timeline is pretty unknown.

I put down my deposit at the local dealership without really knowing how the process works. There's a lot the dealership won't tell you, luckily I learned it all from the folks here on bimmerpost and secured my allocation. Funny enough, the first dealership that I put a deposit down on STILL hasn't called me with a production number. I'm going to cancel it anyways, but I've been curious how much smoke the original dealership is blowing up my ass (he quoted a timeline for 3-4 months).

This thread helps a lot.

Last edited by vmoney89; 07-22-2023 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
waiting
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CX

I had to wait 6 months to place an order at the dealership that I have been working with for about 10 years, without a deposit. After finally spec’ing it on a Monday I received an order number Wednesday morning.

To be honest, while I was waiting the 6 months I had no idea when my turn would come as they were waiting on a MY24 allocation for me to spec.

You should definitely ask if they have the allocation for you or just put you on a list.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 11:19 PM   #5
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Once you have your production number is when a car, per your spec, will be built. It seems if carbon bucket seats are an option, it'll take a bit longer. If it's a special/individual color, it'll take longer.

Without those two options (paint/seats) from what I've seen, allocation to port in Germany is about 6 weeks. From there to the dealer, well, all depends on when the car is selected for shipment and gets on a boat.

I'd call around to other dealers to see if they have any open allocations for M3's, otherwise, contact a broker as mentioned above. The 'production number' is your ticket and the most critical piece to the process.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you didn’t receive a Production Number than you don’t have an order in. Your dealership is waiting for an allocation. I would go take my check back and hit up Day Laborer to find a live allocation.
      07-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
WhtGhst
Registered
Rep
Drives: G80 (ordered), Bronco

Thanks for the info all. I will be calling the GM tomorrow to see if they have an actual allocation or not.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtGhst View Post
Thanks for the info all. I will be calling the GM tomorrow to see if they have an actual allocation or not.
Ask for your “Vehicle Inquiry Report” which lists below from when I ordered:
- VIN (should be blank)
- Priotity: mine says “1 - Customer Sold”
- Assigned to: E-15-26776 Thompson BMW
- Prod No: 7 digits << THAT’S The Prod#!
- Customer: my last name
- Order Status: 111 - Order accepted at AG
- Model: 23TQ M3 Competition xDrive
- Port Loc: NYCPOA
…and a few other bits, then your build codes and descriptions are listed with MSRP.

Then you should have a “Vehicle Buyers Order” sheet, that lists Price, Accessories, Financing, Tax, Documentation and all other Fees, your Deposit Amount, and Unpaid Balance.

Without both of these you probably have smoke in your butt. The first shows the order is real, and the second shows it’s your purchase.
      07-23-2023, 06:12 PM   #9
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtGhst View Post
I had a dealership pull something like this with me.

Like numerous people have said, if they can’t give you an allocation, curb your expectation considerably and don’t be afraid to ask them directly: “Do you have an allocation for me? What is the production number?”

If that can’t give you that, continue your search until you find a dealer who can give you a production number.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #10
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
WhtGhst - Everything the guys have said in this thread are spot in. When I was starting the process every dealer had a different time frame. I had some say the wait time would be 1.5 years to some saying 6 months. It really depends on how the dealership operates, but most importantly if the dealer moves a lot of M cars.

The dealership I ended up securing my allocation with was very honest with me. the SA told me there was two other people a head of me, but said he would have an allocation for me in July or August and sure enough I got a call two weeks ago confirming my build and a day later had my production number. To me this dealer is stringing you along, call around and talk to other dealers.
Appreciate 0