BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
So my noise is actually almost like 2 drum sticks tapping against each other any time and any speed when the wheel is at more that 20degrees, and parking lot speeds.

It's progressively gotten worse as the miles go on.

Unfortunately I'm lowered so I know bmw won't even investigate and just say it's from the springs somehow.

Even though the sound is rotational and not based on the up and down movement.
I think mine is more based on up and down movement. I hear mine when leaving parking lots at slow speeds and my body moves up or down. But I also hear it when parked and just turning the wheels. Which lifts the car up when you go full lock one way or the other.
Ahh yeah you're lucky, every single corner I take sounds like an electric air soft gun on full auto.

Super high speed tapping.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:30 AM   #24
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Ahh yeah you're lucky, every single corner I take sounds like an electric air soft gun on full auto.

Super high speed tapping.
Interesting... Yeah mine is like one or two clicks only per direction. And I have to be going very slow to hear it. I only noticed it pulling into my garage space which it like threading a needle. Lots of back and forth turning to get in and out of my spot.
      05-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
This was a known issue on the "F" generation BMW, it sounds like a faint "tick tick tick" noise coming from the driver side wheel but only when pulling off at show speeds.

BMW solution was two flanges, between the wheel hub and wheels and another between the hub and rotor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84575-9999.pdf

So my noise is actually almost like 2 drum sticks tapping against each other any time and any speed when the wheel is at more that 20degrees, and parking lot speeds.

Unfortunately I'm lowered so I know bmw won't even investigate and just say it's from the springs somehow.

Yea that's pretty much what it sounded like to me; almost like a piece of cardboard stuck in-between the wheel spokes as it spins..

The dealer wasn't any help; I was out of warranty and they were ready to start padding a bill by replacing the entire wheel, rotor and even the inner wheel hub for good measure. As if 👎🏻 I refused to get swindled so I turn down their costly suggestion.

I discovered this friction ring solution on my own while doing some research on this issue.

Interestedly enough, these friction rings came standard on the F generation M2 CS and M4 CS only but not on the standard M models, for the identical MY as the CS, with same exact rotor/hub.. 🤷🏻

A web search will show this is a common issue amongst various BMW models.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #26
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was a known issue on the "F" generation BMW, it sounds like a faint "tick tick tick" noise coming from the driver side wheel but only when pulling off at show speeds.

BMW solution was two flanges, between the wheel hub and wheels and another between the hub and rotor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84575-9999.pdf

Yea that's pretty much what it sounded like to me; almost like a piece of cardboard stuck in-between the wheel spokes as it spins..

The dealer wasn't any help; I was out of warranty and they were ready to start padding a bill by replacing the entire wheel, rotor and even the inner wheel hub for good measure. As if 👎🏻 I refused to get swindled so I turn down their costly suggestion.

I discovered this friction ring solution on my own while doing some research on this issue.

Interestedly enough, these friction rings came standard on the F generation M2 CS and M4 CS only but not on the standard M models, for the identical MY as the CS, with same exact rotor/hub.. 🤷🏻

A web search will show this is a common issue amongst various BMW models.
That's actually very interesting, do you have a part number for those?

Edit: just looked at your work order! Thanks that sounds like you found the cure🙌🏼

I'm actually pumped to do this

Good to hear from you again too Poochie
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #27
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Update:

I had my car looked at. They heard the noise and loosened and redid all of the suspension bolts. It still clicks. If I turn left, the left side clicks. If i turn right, the right side clicks. Each direction has a sweet spot that I can hit to make it click over and over again moving the wheel back and forth.

Id be curious to find out if anyone who is NOT lowered hears this too? Maybe its a normal characteristic? I dont know since I slapped KW HAS kit on shortly after buying the car.
      05-31-2022, 05:12 PM   #28
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Update:

I had my car looked at. They heard the noise and loosened and redid all of the suspension bolts. It still clicks. If I turn left, the left side clicks. If i turn right, the right side clicks. Each direction has a sweet spot that I can hit to make it click over and over again moving the wheel back and forth.

Id be curious to find out if anyone who is NOT lowered hears this too? Maybe its a normal characteristic? I dont know since I slapped KW HAS kit on shortly after buying the car.
Do you have spacers as well? Is it rubbing against the fins in the wheel well?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 05:46 PM   #29
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I do! But I have my fins shaved down and the sound I am hearing is metal on metal like ticking. Plus it does in spots where the wheel cant even make contact on the fins.

You can see and hear it here pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_hiAbt20_FM
      05-31-2022, 06:35 PM   #30
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I do! But I have my fins shaved down and the sound I am hearing is metal on metal like ticking. Plus it does in spots where the wheel cant even make contact on the fins.

You can see and hear it here pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_hiAbt20_FM
Well shit. I don't know then. 🤷🏻

Do you know if it also happens while in motion and at various speeds (probably hard to tell at that point with the road noise)?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:50 PM   #31
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Do you know if it also happens while in motion and at various speeds (probably hard to tell at that point with the road noise)?
So far no one knows. lol.

I mostly hear it pulling into my garage or a parking spot. But I can also hear it when slowly rolling and turning too. Like slowing down enough at a 4 way to make a left or right turn on a green.

I tried holding my brakes when turning to see if it was the pads or the rotor and it still made that noise.

I dunno but I am going to ask KW for help and then to the dealer since my shop doesnt know what it is.
      06-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #32
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So far no one knows. lol.

I mostly hear it pulling into my garage or a parking spot. But I can also hear it when slowly rolling and turning too. Like slowing down enough at a 4 way to make a left or right turn on a green.

I tried holding my brakes when turning to see if it was the pads or the rotor and it still made that noise.

I dunno but I am going to ask KW for help and then to the dealer since my shop doesnt know what it is.
Did you look at the work order poochie posted?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #33
ATX_G80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Glad I found this thread. This has been an issue I have since I lowered the car. turn left and "click" turn right and "click". Always at low speeds. I track some so I had some SPL front lower control arms installed about a month ago and the "click" is now louder and almost a "pop". I am having the car looked at by SPL themselves to see if we can figure out what is causing the sound. I will let everyone know if we find something.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2022, 08:04 PM   #34
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Are you talking about the shim spacer? If so, yes. But its not something I am willing to spend money on to try. My car didnt do this before I lowered it. So i suspect its something to do with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_G80 View Post
Glad I found this thread. This has been an issue I have since I lowered the car. turn left and "click" turn right and "click". Always at low speeds. I track some so I had some SPL front lower control arms installed about a month ago and the "click" is now louder and almost a "pop". I am having the car looked at by SPL themselves to see if we can figure out what is causing the sound. I will let everyone know if we find something.
I need to take mine into a shop too. Hopefully soon. Its driving me nuts. Ive had 3 people mention they heard a loud enough to mention it to me, click or clicking when I pull up.
      06-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #35
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you talking about the shim spacer? If so, yes. But its not something I am willing to spend money on to try. My car didnt do this before I lowered it. So i suspect its something to do with that.

Quote:
I need to take mine into a shop too. Hopefully soon. Its driving me nuts. Ive had 3 people mention they heard a loud enough to mention it to me, click or clicking when I pull up.
Yeah my mechanic couldn't find an single thing wrong.

The shim is basically my last line of defense
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #36
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Any updates?

I havent gone to another shop yet for a 2nd look. But I noticed KW sells endlinks for the G8x. But no sway bar. It made me wonder if lowering somehow affects the OEM endlinks.
      06-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #37
ATX_G80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Any updates?

I havent gone to another shop yet for a 2nd look. But I noticed KW sells endlinks for the G8x. But no sway bar. It made me wonder if lowering somehow affects the OEM endlinks.
We got the car up on the lift and they noticed the SPL arms do click and will be addressing this (simple fix). He did also note that the rack was noisy. Once I bring it back to get the arms fixed we will look more into it and try to differentiate the sounds and if they continue. Will follow up this coming week. In my opinion I think it clearly has to do with lowering the car.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3132.00
      06-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #38
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
We got the car up on the lift and they noticed the SPL arms do click and will be addressing this (simple fix). He did also note that the rack was noisy. Once I bring it back to get the arms fixed we will look more into it and try to differentiate the sounds and if they continue. Will follow up this coming week. In my opinion I think it clearly has to do with lowering the car.
I agree that lowering is what causes it. Ive had 2 G80s and both of them in stock form did not make a sound. Yet the second I lowered mine, I hear clicking.
      06-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #39
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Add another one to the list. Thought I picked up on the noise about a week ago. Just got back from a long quite spirited drive.. pull in my driveway and doing a 3 point turn to reposition the car; the tick/click going either forward or reverse. Seems more rotational.

My G80C is at 13k miles, KW HAS, verified good alignment. KWs have been on since January, approx 4K miles.

I've been chasing a front end knock for nearly 10k miles now. Now adding this to the list. Fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #40
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any updates?

Very interested in what they have to say about the rack. The front end knock noise I've been chasing is likely coming from the rack, slightly felt through the steering wheel as well.

The last few generation 3-series (M and non-M) have had poor steering racks… clunks and knocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #41
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Add another one to the list. Thought I picked up on the noise about a week ago. Just got back from a long quite spirited drive.. pull in my driveway and doing a 3 point turn to reposition the car; the tick/click going either forward or reverse. Seems more rotational.

My G80C is at 13k miles, KW HAS, verified good alignment. KWs have been on since January, approx 4K miles.

I've been chasing a front end knock for nearly 10k miles now. Now adding this to the list. Fun.
Does your knock come through the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #42
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Sure does!

I've been chasing this down since summer of last year. It really comes out in the warmer months (I'm in Virginia).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #43
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure does!

I've been chasing this down since summer of last year. It really comes out in the warmer months (I'm in Virginia).
I've actually noticed the same in my car, have you had a dealer visit?
Appreciate 1
Sabzi48.50
      06-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #44
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Sure does!

I noticed odd sound also once lowered on MSS springs. My installer redun my left s0ide a0nd now my right is making a clicking pand squeaky noise and over bumps I'm getting a binding noise. Might not be the exact same as yours and I'm in Virginia also.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
FISH225399.00