BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

My car is lowered on the mss kit but if I remember right I was getting the sound before hand.

It's pretty much at all times forward(pulling out of my garage), reverse(turning), and especially any time im turning. To the point that if you just do a slow tight circle it continuously clicks.

Am I the only one?

Id really like to take it into the dealer but I'm dreading putting it all back to stock.

Update: Solved!

All I had to do was torque my lugs to 125😎
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
My car is lowered on the mss kit but if I remember right I was getting the sound before hand.

It's pretty much at all times forward(pulling out of my garage), reverse(turning), and especially any time im turning. To the point that if you just do a slow tight circle it continuously clicks.

Am I the only one?
Have you seen this video? If you have similar noise this might be the solution.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I have 15F/13R Burger Motorsport spacers.

The front left 'clicks' in reverse with hard clockwise steering.

P Zero tires

The clicking is the left front wheel rubbing against vent blades. To date, the blades remain intact. Others have reported them getting cracked off. Personally, not a concern either way, intact or cracked off.

Is that your 'click'? Not sure, but sounds very familiar to me. Perhaps your click occurs more often because you are lowered vs. spacer only? Perhaps you have both spacers and lowered?

///AVM
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas770.00
      09-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

@babyghost
Yeah I just watched that, unfortunately I currently have no way at home to jack my car up and take a peak to see if it's the same design as on the G cars.

///AVM Good to see you around again!

I actually had the fins cut out of my car which got rid of that problem all together.

It's more of a metallic "click" or "tink" sound.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

For those who do not know what the vent blades (or fins) are that are in reference and 'clicking,' here is a pic. . . notice my wheel is turned full clockwise.

In the pic the vents are not catching the blades, nor do they ever catch except in reverse for some odd reason. Even then, they just barely 'clip' them and make that clicking noise.

Now that I look closer at photo, I notice there are two blades that are cracked on their margins, and right in line with the tire apex on the wheel well.

I suspect, sooner or later, they will get broken off. No worries on my part, as it will have no consequence to form or function of the vehicle.

Sounds like TrentMeister just cut them off, which is not a bad idea . . . just rip the bandaid off and get rid of the problem all together. I would consider doing that, but I have no easy access to the inner margin of the blades short of taking the wheel off.

///AVM

EDIT: I now also realize why the 'clicking' only occurs in REVERSE. The blades are canted downward. So, in reverse, the tire clips the bottom margin of the blade. Going forward, the tire would only glide over the downward canter.

Obviously the tire just barely clips the blades or they would have been torn off immediately the first time I put it into reverse.

Still no idea why I have thus far only noticed it on the drivers side??? I would assume it happens on the passenger side with counterclockwise turn of the wheel. Perhaps it does and I have not noticed it from the driver's side???
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 09-05-2021 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 4
M4Tejas770.00
M3ANSPEC393.00
      09-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
For those who do not know what the vent blades (or fins) are that are in reference and 'clicking,' here is a pic. . . notice my wheel is turned full clockwise.

In the pic the vents are not catching the blades, nor do they ever catch except in reverse for some odd reason. Even then, they just barely 'clip' them and make that clicking noise.

Now that I look closer at photo, I notice there are two blades that are cracked on their margins, and right in line with the tire apex on the wheel well.

I suspect, sooner or later, they will get broken off. No worries on my part, as it will have no consequence to form or function of the vehicle.

Sounds like TrentMeister just cut them off, which is not a bad idea . . . just rip the bandaid off and get rid of the problem all together. I would consider doing that, but I have no easy access to the inner margin of the blades short of taking the wheel off.

///AVM

EDIT: I now also realize why the 'clicking' only occurs in REVERSE. The blades are canted downward. So, in reverse, the tire clips the bottom margin of the blade. Going forward, the tire would only glide over the downward canter.

Obviously the tire just barely clips the blades or they would have been torn off immediately the first time I put it into reverse.

Still no idea why I have thus far only noticed it on the drivers side??? I would assume it happens on the passenger side with counterclockwise turn of the wheel. Perhaps it does and I have not noticed it from the driver's side???
I think it may have to do with the castor setting of factory alignment on the driver side vs passenger.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #7
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

How annoying

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #8
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar48 View Post
How annoying
Not sure if that is a question, or a statement?

In the event it is a question, it is not annoying at all.

The number of instances I am in reverse and turning wheel hard clockwise are nominal, and the 'clicking' is at the threshold of even being perceptable.

Worst case scenario is a couple blades get ripped off the vent inside wheel well. If it was truly annoying, I would just cut the couple blades out. I figure they will just pop off at some point on their own.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

A statement, I would be annoyed, poor measuring/quality check IMO (I wonder if it’s a PZero issue or all tires)

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #10
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar48 View Post
A statement, I would be annoyed, poor measuring/quality check IMO (I wonder if it's a PZero issue or all tires)
All tires, we're on pretty hefty spacers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Hi anyone with updates on a solution or reason to why this issue is happening? I’m having the same click noise on my left front wheel
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdb View Post
Hi anyone with updates on a solution or reason to why this issue is happening? I’m having the same click noise on my left front wheel
What kind of click?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #13
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdb View Post
I am having same click but when the car is cold. Goes away after 10 minutes. Anyone have an answer no mods done on my car all stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:48 PM   #14
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:

///AVM

What size front tires are you running? Mine seem to have more space.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #15
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Not sure if that is a question, or a statement?

In the event it is a question, it is not annoying at all.

The number of instances I am in reverse and turning wheel hard clockwise are nominal, and the 'clicking' is at the threshold of even being perceptable.

Worst case scenario is a couple blades get ripped off the vent inside wheel well. If it was truly annoying, I would just cut the couple blades out. I figure they will just pop off at some point on their own.

///AVM
Why not turn the wheels all the way to the right (clockwise) and either take an angle grinder or sander and remove about a 1/4 inch of material? Seems it would result in the fins being intact, while stopping the noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #16
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CompConv/X7 View Post
Quote:

///AVM

What size front tires are you running? Mine seem to have more space.
That dude got banned
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Bumping this. I just noticed my front end click/ticks once or twice when I go full lock to lock left to right. I hear it pulling into and out of my garage. I can do it on command just turning my wheels side to side. My fins are shaved down and not rubbing. Not sure if this is a normal sound or something to do with me lowering it. But I just noticed it. Anyone find the cause of the clicking noise?

Mine is very faint. It's like one or two max single click/tick sounds.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-25-2022 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Super common on lots of BMWs - have the strut clamp bolt torqued to spec. There’s no downside to doing this, best case it fixes the click and worst case your bolt is just guaranteed to be at spec
      05-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #19
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Here is a video of the sound I hear.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_hiAbt20_FM

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-26-2022 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #20
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This was a known issue on the "F" generation BMW..

It sounds like a faint "tick tick tick" noise coming from the driver side wheel but only when pulling off at slow speeds.

BMW solution was two friction gaskets, one sandwich in-between the wheel hub and wheels and another between the hub and rotor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84575-9999.pdf

Clicking sound from front left wheel https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1283009

M2 ticking noise from front wheel area https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819907
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #21
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
This was a known issue on the "F" generation BMW, it sounds like a faint "tick tick tick" noise coming from the driver side wheel but only when pulling off at show speeds.

BMW solution was two flanges, between the wheel hub and wheels and another between the hub and rotor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...84575-9999.pdf

So my noise is actually almost like 2 drum sticks tapping against each other any time and any speed when the wheel is at more that 20degrees, and parking lot speeds.

It's progressively gotten worse as the miles go on.

Unfortunately I'm lowered so I know bmw won't even investigate and just say it's from the springs somehow.

Even though the sound is rotational and not based on the up and down movement.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #22
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
So my noise is actually almost like 2 drum sticks tapping against each other any time and any speed when the wheel is at more that 20degrees, and parking lot speeds.

It's progressively gotten worse as the miles go on.

Unfortunately I'm lowered so I know bmw won't even investigate and just say it's from the springs somehow.

Even though the sound is rotational and not based on the up and down movement.
I think mine is more based on up and down movement. I hear mine when leaving parking lots at slow speeds and my body moves up or down. But I also hear it when parked and just turning the wheels. Which lifts the car up when you go full lock one way or the other.