BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #23
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Well, FWIW, in the previous generation M3/M4 (F8x), there were differences in chassis firmware for steering, differential, traction control (aka MDM mode), suspension (for EDC cars), and transmission (for DCT cars) between different models/packages. Specifically, the M4 GTS, M4 CS, M3 CS, M3 Competition, and Base M3 (aka the “Civic M3”) all had different firmware in those respective modules (although some variants shared the same firmware on some modules, but different firmware in others - it was a mixed bag of sorts). In fact, there were some hardware differences as well between the different variants such as sway bars and springs.

Once the F8x matured some (and was “cracked” so to speak), it was (and still is) popular to update the various modules I mentioned above to the M3/M4 CS and/or M4 GTS chassis firmware for improved performance. I did this as well with my F80 M3 (Competition), upgrading to all of the M3 CS firmware stuff, which made a noticeable performance improvement, especially for the EDC suspension.

As far as the G8x is concerned, I would be surprised if there weren’t similar firmware differences in both the chassis modules and some of the hardware (like springs and sway bars) between the different G8x variants. I think it is a foregone conclusion that the M4 CSL will have different chassis firmware and hardware. But it makes sense that there could also be some firmware and/or hardware differences between the M3/M4, M3/M4 Comp, and M3/M4 xDrive as well. Time will tell as the G8x is eventually fully “cracked” just like the previous generations….
Thanks. Just as I suspected.

It does make sense to have similar hardware but different chassis firmware to eek a bit more performance and "earn" the Competition badge.

I am curious if G80 M3 Base with 6MT will be able to receive CSL chassis firmware.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      08-11-2022, 09:38 PM   #24
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Quote:
Well, FWIW, in the previous generation M3/M4 (F8x), there were differences in chassis firmware for steering, differential, traction control (aka MDM mode), suspension (for EDC cars), and transmission (for DCT cars) between different models/packages. Specifically, the M4 GTS, M4 CS, M3 CS, M3 Competition, and Base M3 (aka the “Civic M3”) all had different firmware in those respective modules (although some variants shared the same firmware on some modules, but different firmware in others - it was a mixed bag of sorts). In fact, there were some hardware differences as well between the different variants such as sway bars and springs.

Once the F8x matured some (and was “cracked” so to speak), it was (and still is) popular to update the various modules I mentioned above to the M3/M4 CS and/or M4 GTS chassis firmware for improved performance. I did this as well with my F80 M3 (Competition), upgrading to all of the M3 CS firmware stuff, which made a noticeable performance improvement, especially for the EDC suspension.

As far as the G8x is concerned, I would be surprised if there weren’t similar firmware differences in both the chassis modules and some of the hardware (like springs and sway bars) between the different G8x variants. I think it is a foregone conclusion that the M4 CSL will have different chassis firmware and hardware. But it makes sense that there could also be some firmware and/or hardware differences between the M3/M4, M3/M4 Comp, and M3/M4 xDrive as well. Time will tell as the G8x is eventually fully “cracked” just like the previous generations….

It does make sense to have similar hardware but different chassis firmware to eek a bit more performance and "earn" the Competition badge.

I am curious if G80 M3 Base with 6MT will be able to receive CSL chassis firmware.
I don't see why not. But what I believe is still unknown on the G8x platform is the compatibility of the software and hardware if/when firmware is installed on a different M3/M4 variant. For example, the F8x M3/M4 CS EDC (suspension) firmware worked great on a M3/M4 Competition car but not on a base M3/M4 car. This is because the EDC dampers on the CS and Competition cars are the same, but not the base cars. As a result, pairing the CS EDC firmware with a base car actually degraded suspension performance. Another F8x example is that the M3 CS shared the same springs as the M3 Competition but used the sway bar from the Base M3.

So it really is a mixed bag with all of the different variants - the G8x should be no different. But once all of this stuff is figured out on the G8x platform, it will be great for the G8x enthusiast community, just like it was for the F8x enthusiast community.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:41 AM   #25
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post

F80 is not G80, and it seems that just from basic sleuthing Comp and 6mt are the same chassis tuning wise. I would recommend not having a confirmation bias in this situation and wait for actual facts to come out.

I will do some comparisons with bimmerutility when I have time. Can't do firmware comparisons but coding should tell us something.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:55 AM   #26
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
I don't see why not. But what I believe is still unknown on the G8x platform is the compatibility of the software and hardware if/when firmware is installed on a different M3/M4 variant. For example, the F8x M3/M4 CS EDC (suspension) firmware worked great on a M3/M4 Competition car but not on a base M3/M4 car. This is because the EDC dampers on the CS and Competition cars are the same, but not the base cars. As a result, pairing the CS EDC firmware with a base car actually degraded suspension performance. Another F8x example is that the M3 CS shared the same springs as the M3 Competition but used the sway bar from the Base M3.

So it really is a mixed bag with all of the different variants - the G8x should be no different. But once all of this stuff is figured out on the G8x platform, it will be great for the G8x enthusiast community, just like it was for the F8x enthusiast community.
Thankfully on G it seems they got all that bullshit out of the way. Sway bars will be different but dampers are shared between m3/m4 base competition and CSL. With G being fairly clean slate in module design and production efficiency I think things are going turn out quite differently in the long run.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      08-12-2022, 05:42 AM   #27
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
The Comp has nicer seatbelts.
My 6MT that I picked up last week.
Strangely, I actually think the new m240xi has the same belts as well now.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #28
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

i'm just happy its now easier to search for a manual car. In the F80 you search M3 and check manual only but the idiot dealers think the DCT is a manual. You have to hunt and call the dealer to know if its a true manual or not. Now its easy, comp=auto base=manual. i like it
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 2
NYCMT135.00
Eddie2315527.00
      08-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #29
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Too bad BMW didn't offer the xdrive in manual. Would be the perfect combo.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 07:13 AM   #30
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
So actually I am more interested in pushing Competition firmware down to Base model hardware. Yes, I understand that the transmission is different, but I am wondering about the rest: abs threshold breaking, esp, throttle response, etc...

I guess I will have to wait til people really get into it...
Appreciate 0