home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - California

02-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #23
wh33lsup
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
For CA R1/R2: A good all season with the AWD will be fine. A good snow tire with the AWD will be more than fine. The proper AutoSock size is AS830 for the rears and AS695 for the front - you'd probably put them on the front I'd think as front is best for snow traction and a hell of a lot easier to get on with low clearance. I've used AutoSocks and they are phenomenal overall.

For R3: Doesn't matter what you're driving, just get off the road.
Hi, the AutoSock website claims the tire socks are approved for use in California but I don't see it anywhere on Caltrans website: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

They won't fine you for using a sock vs chains? Asking because I'll be taking them with me to Tahoe this month.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:04 PM   #24
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh33lsup View Post
Hi, the AutoSock website claims the tire socks are approved for use in California but I don't see it anywhere on Caltrans website: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

They won't fine you for using a sock vs chains? Asking because I'll be taking them with me to Tahoe this month.
I’ve had CHP drive past me/ by me and never had an issue. The state site says chains or traction devices.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:45 AM   #25
wh33lsup
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
I’ve had CHP drive past me/ by me and never had an issue. The state site says chains or traction devices.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to buy the tire socks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:34 PM   #26
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh33lsup View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to buy the tire socks.
Use them once and you’ll never go back. If you have an xDrive l, added convenience of putting them on the front. If you have a rear drive, the trick is to buy a long (18-24 in) plastic ruler (don’t want to scratch the car a a small wood dowel would probably work as well) and wrap the top side inner edge of the sock over it and use it to get the sock to the inner side of the wheel. This is not advertised but very helpful for the low clearance of these cars.
Appreciate 0