BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-28-2024, 10:06 AM   #23
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj View Post
Google…curb ramp. Several options available.
Not allowed by the HOA and they wouldn't help much, and it isn't the curb it's the overall angle of the entire, short driveway. Ramps would just move the issue upwards a bit.

Also, I'm pretty sure curb ramps aren't a closely-guarded secret. Folk with driveway issues look into their options before they end up on a forum...mostly...probably...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:29 AM   #24
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Update:

I'm continuing to waffle on keeping the Frog or switching to an X-Drive M3 or M4. I've come close to pulling the trigger on several not-quite-spec'd-correctly used G8x's but haven't picked up the phone or sent the email. I've also indicated to my SA that I'm open to ordering an LCI M4, and I've been told I wouldn't have to wait long for an allocation.

This is probably the hardest car decision I've ever been in the position to make. The Frog is probably my favorite car I've ever owned and my reasons for wanting to make the switch are not terribly strong, but they are there and aren't going away.

A couple of waffle-time thoughts:

A recent Carmuddgeon show that included a lot of "30 Helens agree, it was better before" BS pointed at BMW by Jason did have a very good point that I knew was an issue instinctively but hadn't put into words. The turbos do spool down too much between shifts, no matter how well and quickly I execute the shift. There was another bizarre rant about big cars not being right for manuals on that episode based on manual sales on an 80's 7-series that made me laugh, but he wasn't wrong on the turbos-vs-shifting issue. I recall that being a massive problem on an early US-spec WRX that a friend of mine owned. Not as much of an issue with our cars, but it is there.

Going back to a manual was like coming home, and that's still a factor. But I have to admit that after 3 years, there is still a disconnect between what this engine wants and what the 6MT gives it. I'm not interested in having an argument about this point, [...]
I hear ya.

Sometimes we forget how good the M3 is in every variant. No flaws!

I’ve “waffled” on getting a certified M5. I’m at a point that I can actually comfortably afford one so it’s become an interesting option. Then I’m turned away by the consistent on going leaking coolant issue, the not so exciting drive as an M3.

My wife is with me most times in the M3 so I don’t get to really hammer the car. That’s what makes me think just get an automatic M5.

Then I get a sunny day and drive my 6 speed M3 and see that agressive styling.

Then I say NO WAY!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bri10425937.00
Llarry15968.00
      03-28-2024, 12:09 PM   #25
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Bri I think you should definitely go X-Drive .. especially living in Portland

I understand your reservations with going Auto, but I'm sure you will absolutely love it just like your current M

523 ponies should be hella fun

That being said my Frog RWD is without a doubt one of the Best vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving.

Another option if you want to let things marinate a bit. Wait until the G87 CS or LCI Comp is released , which is the route I'll be taking once I'm across the finish line with the M3
bri10425937.00
      03-28-2024, 12:15 PM   #26
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Update:

I'm continuing to waffle on keeping the Frog or switching to an X-Drive M3 or M4. I've come close to pulling the trigger on several not-quite-spec'd-correctly used G8x's but haven't picked up the phone or sent the email. I've also indicated to my SA that I'm open to ordering an LCI M4, and I've been told I wouldn't have to wait long for an allocation.

This is probably the hardest car decision I've ever been in the position to make. The Frog is probably my favorite car I've ever owned and my reasons for wanting to make the switch are not terribly strong, but they are there and aren't going away.

A couple of waffle-time thoughts:

A recent Carmuddgeon show that included a lot of "30 Helens agree, it was better before" BS pointed at BMW by Jason did have a very good point that I knew was an issue instinctively but hadn't put into words. The turbos do spool down too much between shifts, no matter how well and quickly I execute the shift. There was another bizarre rant about big cars not being right for manuals on that episode based on manual sales on an 80's 7-series that made me laugh, but he wasn't wrong on the turbos-vs-shifting issue. I recall that being a massive problem on an early US-spec WRX that a friend of mine owned. Not as much of an issue with our cars, but it is there.

Going back to a manual was like coming home, and that's still a factor. But I have to admit that after 3 years, there is still a disconnect between what this engine wants and what the 6MT gives it. I'm not interested in having an argument about this point, [...]
I went the other way. ‘24MC to a ‘24 Base. I just found the MC boring. I don’t drag race my car so the additional HP of the M4C is not that big a deal. The manual is so much more engaging IMO. No way I’d go back to an auto. BMW has really screwed us by not offering a manual in the M4C XDrive. They give you this BS that the manual can’t handle the additional tq of the M4C but I believe that is bull. I believe they just want to shove the auto down our throats.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
bri10425937.00
      03-28-2024, 12:22 PM   #27
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

How about wait to see the ‘25 LCI for M3X and enjoy the Frog until than.

In case this is the last M3 with an MT I think the resale may go up after 2027 the end of cycle for G80
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:31 PM   #28
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I went the other way. ‘24MC to a ‘24 Base. I just found the MC boring. I don’t drag race my car so the additional HP of the M4C is not that big a deal. The manual is so much more engaging IMO. No way I’d go back to an auto. BMW has really screwed us by not offering a manual in the M4C XDrive. They give you this BS that the manual can’t handle the additional tq of the M4C but I believe that is bull. I believe they just want to shove the auto down our throats.
You really don’t care other than the fact you know it exists.

Your not going to have a whole different experience if the car had more HP.

(AWD that would be cool but honestly it’s not an option I would pick with my 6 MT even if it was available.)

In the words of BMW corporate M3 marketing brand ambassador.

People will flock to the “Competition M3 for bragging rights and cars and coffee events”.

“Our driving enthusiasts will pick the M3 Pure. Those drivers put a premium on the driving experience.”

My car is 100% stock.

If I grab another family car a Lexus ES 250 AWD I will dial up the M3.

Exhaust
Tune
Coil overs
Summer wheels with summer tires
Appreciate 2
Mike02z1977.50
bri10425937.00
      03-28-2024, 03:20 PM   #29
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I appreciate the thoughts, folk. Our cars really aren't "just one answer" cars...which is a great thing.
Appreciate 1
Lupeskew592.00