BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-29-2024, 06:10 PM   #1
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, G80

G80 no crank

So yesterday I washed my car and tried to drive it after. The vehicle threw a bunch of codes and wouldn’t turn over. Left it for a couple hours and came back to no codes and started just fine not even a long turn over. Anyone think its worth bringing to the dealer? Idk what they could still find not sure if it holds code history. Car is completely stock no tunes.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

It’s probably some battery error. That caused that. I would monitor if doesn’t come back let dealer know at next service.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:31 PM   #3
ChanceG8X
Bmw Inside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
It’s probably some battery error. That caused that. I would monitor if doesn’t come back let dealer know at next service.
True true. One of those warnings was a battery management error. Could that completely stop the car from even trying to turn over? Just odd because I didnt even charge the car when I walked away from it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:43 AM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

What all was involved in washing your car. Did you wash the engine compartment? Did you splash any water inside? Was the car locked while you did it? Was it unlocked with the key inside? How long did it take you to do it? I’m asking because the devil is usually in the details and this very well could be an issue of the car seeing too much activity with power in terms of priming the systems and door locks, etc. over a long period of time and it may have gone into a power management protective mode to save the battery. Lithium batteries are not meant to be a good fit for long drain and use intervals like AGM ones are where you can sit there and play music and do all sorts of shit with the engine off for 2 hours and then crank up and go. They’re designed to get things powered up and be lightweight for performance needs. People often overlook that and wonder why they don’t behave the same.

If it was that, then locking and walking away (to get the key out of range) to have the systems power down and then coming back and unlocking it and have if it start back up (reset if you will) and then cranking it is usually needed.

It’s either that or you got water into something that goofed up the electronics, in which case you’ll need to find out what component that was so it can get addressed. Could be the harness under the hood, if you washed the engine bay, or even one of the door handle sensors if it got water in it due to a seal problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:01 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceG8X View Post
True true. One of those warnings was a battery management error. Could that completely stop the car from even trying to turn over? Just odd because I didnt even charge the car when I walked away from it.
Yeah, you tripped power management for the battery. It was being used too much and it kicked itself into voltage protection after a certain time. If and when that happens, you have to lock it and move away so it enters full standby and then unlock and start it back up. You could also try to lock it and then unlock it and see if it’ll accept that quick process as a reset and crank or if it requires the more lengthy walk away process.
Appreciate 0