BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-03-2023, 04:14 PM   #23
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYounglove10 View Post
The M4 is altogether a more practical proposition. No doubt.

The all around comfort is close. I feel the seats with the 18-way adjustable sports seats with Porsche to be superior to the M4. Better lumbar support, and similar sized bolsters.

The overall driving position is also better with the 911. I’m not a tall guy at 5’8”, but I have a longer torso and shorter legs. For whatever reason, just my body size can’t get a 100% comfortable seating position in the M4 for longer trips. No issues with this in the Porsche.
At 6'3", 215 lbs I can say I felt I had a lot more room in the M3. More room for my elbows, shoulders, knees, etc. Getting in and out is easier in the M3. For the coffee drinkers, cupholders aren't ideal in the M3, but they are a cruel joke in the Porsche. I of course use a spill-proof thermal mug.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #24
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
As some or most know Ive had quite a few 911's including two GTS; currently with a 992 and prior was a 991.2. The rest are Turbo, Turbo S's, C4s, and a GT3.

OP your review really mirrors my factual ownership experiences as Ive also had two G80's and now have the X drive. Well articulated and applauded.

So because your post was so robust I dont have to opine basically at all The 911 damper and spring combo is amazing--- it keeps the power on the ground so efficiently while enduring the bumps and undulations. As I often drive the same roads with all my cars, I make mental notes about what I experienced and the P cars have always been the best with compression and rebound. And while the G8X has definitely narrowed the gap its not there yet or in regards to steering (still really great though). Again my ownership thoughts.

When I drive my Porsche I feel like Im IN the seat vs ON the seat with the M. Different driver's feel for sure and it definitely takes a good test drive to understand this or becoming an owner.

My 2018 GTS... albeit a vert:

And my current 992 GTS:

Oh Porsche just keeps hiking their new prices which will inflate the used market--- my base msrp was 136k (then went to 142) now its 151550 only 10 months later:

I have also read your posts in the past and appreciate your stance and opinion on all of the above because we have had similar cars and ownership and seeing someone elses point of view on it is interesting.

I have had in order an E92 M3, F87 M2, R35 GT-R, 991.1 GT3, G80 M3 cx, F90 M5.

from a value and damper and spring combo point of view i agree whole heartedly. As for feeling IN the seat as opposed to ON the seat i also 100% agree on the Porsche vs BMW feeling (I know the GTS and GT3 are different but in reality the Feeling you get of being In the seat is the same idea.)

One thing I will have to disagree with you on is the steering feel. I know you said it is not there yet but it is "still really great".

The whole reason I sold my G80 and got into an F90 is because I could not get over how bland and boring and empty the steering felt to me. It was just numb. I know this is different for every single person who drives one and everyone will have their own opinion but to me it felt like it was not even on the same planet as the P-cars. I needed a 4 door family car thats why I chose the G80 and then moved to the F90 because the steering was not good enough to justify having the G80 over the more comfortable and better daily F90 to me.

Now I will say that BMW compared to everyone else is better- just not the porsches and thats probably why they demand such a premium and to me it is well worth it. Ill pick up another GT car soon to pair with the F90 when the time is right.

As always your fleet of cars is absolutely amazing and very jealous of them all. You have great taste and your opinion is valued because of all the experience you have and well thought out responses!
Appreciate 1
Vic5518962.50
      04-06-2023, 06:08 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

It is interesting to see how inflated costs have become in a year. My 2022 S' base MSRP was around $117k before options. Damn did I get in at a good time. I don't daily my 992; it's largely impractical for that type of duty and in my line of work.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #26
AYounglove10
UpTown Hipster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4 Competition - IOMG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It is interesting to see how inflated costs have become in a year. My 2022 S' base MSRP was around $117k before options. Damn did I get in at a good time. I don't daily my 992; it's largely impractical for that type of duty and in my line of work.
I’ll buy at $117k lol
      04-06-2023, 06:35 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYounglove10 View Post
I’ll buy at $117k lol
I had to option that car up to nearly $150k (..before my small 2.5% discount, which was unheard of when I purchased my car; 992's were going for $15-20k over sticker at that time) for it to be comparable to a well optioned G8X though. Gotta pay to play I suppose.
Appreciate 0