BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

My BMW app: new features and tech insights for March 2021

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
Now with added functions and availability in more countries across five continents. The BMW Group is establishing itself as a leading automotive app developer and provider with a Flutter architecture developed 100% in-house.

BMW is forging ahead with the development and rollout of the My BMW app. This key interface between smartphone and vehicle made its debut in July 2020. Having already been launched in 30 European markets, China and Korea, it will now also be available with further expanded functionality in Japan, Australia and 10 other countries. The My BMW app will also be rolled out in the USA and Canada from mid-April, making it available on five continents. Underpinning the rapid expansion of the My BMW app’s content and its fast-paced rollout is a scalable and universal software architecture. This has been fully developed in-house by BMW using Flutter, an open-source UI development kit from Google for the Dart programming language. The BMW Group’s Flutter/Dart development team is one of the world’s largest after Google’s, bringing together a total of 300 employees.

My BMW app: new features for March 2021.
The My BMW app runs on both iOS and Android operating systems and can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. It acts as a new universal interface with the car, providing information on the vehicle’s status at any time. Depending on the equipment fitted, it also enables remote operation of functions, such as vehicle locating, locking and unlocking the doors, and monitoring the car’s immediate vicinity (Remote 3D View).

Functions also include the ability to send destination addresses from a smartphone to the vehicle’s navigation system. Services from Amazon Alexa can be integrated via the My BMW app, too, while the range of functions for electrified vehicles has likewise been extended, including even clearer display of electric range.

The My BMW app makes it even easier for customers to log in to any current BMW model with their personal BMW ID. For example, the user information and settings stored in the BMW ID can now also be imported into the vehicle extremely conveniently by scanning a QR code displayed on the central screen. Last but not least, the My BMW app also allows the customer to contact their BMW Service Partner directly and provides them with a more detailed overview of their vehicle’s servicing requirements.

The My BMW app’s most important new functions from March 2021:

In addition to the integration of Amazon Alexa into models with BMW Operating System 7.0, the voice service is also now available for vehicles with BMW Operating System 5.0 and 6.0.
The Climate Timer allows pre-conditioning of vehicles with electrified drive systems – by heating the interior in winter and cooling it in summer, for example. This comfort-enhancing function has now been extended to diesel and petrol models too, meaning that their auxiliary heating and ventilation systems can also be programmed.
The Charging Plan provides owners of electrified BMW models with a clear, at-a-glance overview of all information on the current charging process (charging status, start time and duration, current range, pre-conditioning, time slot for charging and other relevant vehicle settings). In future, customers will additionally be able to benefit from push notifications informing them of the current charging status.
The filter function for charging station search makes it easy to find suitable charging facilities during a journey by quickly adding or removing various search parameters (provider, compatibility, charge speed, etc.).
Featuring a redesigned menu that is even more intuitive to use and further improvements to route calculation, BMW Maps now offers greater ease of use and enhanced performance.
The My BMW app: in-house development makes consistent use of cutting-edge technologies and componentry from big tech players.
The My BMW app is a new development that will fully replace the BMW Connected app from July 2021, and provide a technologically future-proof foundation. Its scalable universal architecture will support future requirements and is a crucial factor here, allowing new functions and customer requests to be implemented easily. This will additionally pave the way for constant advances, with multiple updates every year allowing functionality to be continually expanded. The modular approach to the app has other benefits, too; e.g. the app platform can be readily used for other BMW Group brands while also making it compatible with a broad spectrum of language and infrastructure variants, and vehicle and on-board network generations.

“The new app platform is built on three pillars: user friendliness, safety and reliability,” explains Dr. Nicolai Krämer, Vice President Offboard Platform BMW Group. “It provides a consistently designed set of functions spanning all brands on the basis of feedback and our customers’ usage behaviour. Targeted application of industry standards and their integration into the global software community allows us to focus on the core technical issues that bring about a worthwhile enhancement of our products and services.”

The software platform for the My BMW app is known within the BMW Group by the name Mobile 2.0 App Core. Developed 100% in-house, it embraces the very latest technologies and features a broad technology stack, i.e. a data ecosystem with a variety of components from big tech players. Thanks to its Flutter framework – an open-source UI development kit created by Google – and cross-platform design written in the Dart language, the My BMW app supports the iOS and Android operating systems using a single code base. At the same time, MS Azure from Microsoft was used to integrate a development environment with a full continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery/deployment (CD) pipeline in order to automate the app’s ongoing development process. The app’s backend for frontend architectural pattern for superior ease of use builds on platforms as a service (PaaS) that likewise originate from Microsoft. The term ‘backend for frontend’ means, for instance, that the app’s functionality can be expanded or potential error sources eliminated without the customer having to download a new version of the app after the modifications have been carried out. Cloudification also plays an essential role, because the app basically offers all functions, these can be displayed dynamically cloud-controlled depending on the vehicle equipment and market characteristics. Many of the My BMW app’s backend components, meanwhile, run on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud infrastructure.

“The BMW Group’s Flutter software development team is one of the largest in the world after Google’s own,” says Dr. Krämer. “As well as working on internal projects, our experts also offer software components externally as members of the Flutter community.”
Source: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...for-march-2021
Attached Images

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I just noticed mine updated today. I think the ability to set a ventilation timer is new.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I just noticed mine updated today. I think the ability to set a ventilation timer is new.
Has not reach our shores yet...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
jav335i_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

When is this coming to the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Still can't change the height of an X5 with air suspension, but the old Display Key can do it.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-31-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
ap0819
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
The article says it will start replacing the BMW Connected App from this July onwards. However, I wouldn't expect it to hit the US until at least late summer if not fall (probably even longer). The current BMW Connected app is so slow and dated - hopefully this will spice things up a bit.
Appreciate 2
bcjbmwm3340.00
soheil64.50
      03-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
recentrisk2
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

This is different app than BMW connected correct?
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      03-31-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Where is the M Latimer app for Android???
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
daytonabch04
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 40i M Sport

Apr 12 the app will be available in the US for download.
Appreciate 2
boi222179.00
Olkie42.00
      03-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentrisk2 View Post
It is indeed a different app, but will replace BMW Connected. BMW will be phased out later this year. BMW has choosen to reimplement the entire platform instead of developing the BMW Connected app further.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

In the article that was shared it said Mid-April for US and Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
We need this in the U.S.!
      03-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
Quote:
It is indeed a different app, but will replace BMW Connected. BMW will be phased out later this year. BMW has choosen to reimplement the entire platform instead of developing the BMW Connected app further.
Quote:
Quote:
That's a shame, as unless they improve it in the meantime, it's still not as good as the old app with my '16 F82. I still don't get that status message they show, but at least it's now actually able to find my car!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
BMW will be phased out later this year.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #15
shameson
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4, 2000 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
It's right in the second paragraph.

Quote:
The My BMW app will also be rolled out in the USA and Canada from mid-April, making it available on five continents
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post

Some would argue BMW is already phased out...😉😂
Appreciate 2
The_Werm212.00
      03-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
They need to secure it tightly. Can you imagine a ransomware attack that bricks all connected BMWs?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      03-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #18
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

so far the BMW Connect App is much better in all aspects.... from graphics,features and the interface....
sad to hear it will be discontinued

I see no tyre pressure and enable to remotely honk / flash just like in Bmw connected app
Appreciate 3
      03-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

on this note the clime control time on a car with Independent AC/Heater option.... at what temperature (heating/ colling) is set bu the scheduled climate control via phone??

the last used while driving before loxking tue car or?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:29 PM   #20
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

As one who uses Flutter on a day to day basis at my company, it's inspiring to see others (BMW) using Google's work to produce their own app from a single code base.

I do hope they iterate and implement more useful features overtime than the current Connected app and it's dated feature set.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

just bring it to US
i use our current app everyday!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #22
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I want this now! The current app is slow and it looks very dated.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50