02-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #23
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
I was wondering how everyone is doing from the NY/NJ area? My gf actually had her BMW stolen out of red bank about two weeks ago. I'm seeing BMW theft on the rise locally, the police even warn us. If you live local, please lock cars, don't keep keys near them, don't even do the lock while the cars running and you run into the store. It's not safe… I've seen videos locally of ranges being stolen with some scanner device. They take them right from driveway.
Fucking punks don't even know how to steal cars the right way anymore. Nobody chops a column lol. I'm about to order myself an old fashioned Club. They don't know what that is…
Anyway. Stay safe, be vigilant…
My gfs car was taken after being in the store in broad daylight in ten minutes.
They stealing them on Long Island and they are being tracked to NJ… they stole 6 BMWs in one week in Merrick… do not leave the car running or keys near car… they look at the mirrors to see if they are folded in or not… if not, they steal it…. The tracking system goes dark somewhere in NJ
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      02-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #24
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

[QUOTE=themnmd;28561853]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by psylovibe View Post
Quote:
Lol me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I'm from NY, but I am in NJ a lot. And my gfs car was stolen in Red Bank, NJ, in broad daylight, along with a Porsche and then driven to Newark… so I wouldn't call either of these neighborhoods dangerous, or mine with homes upward of 900k, but that's exactly why they are targets. Thanks for assuming my neighborhood is dangerous though.
Burglary has been on the rise in my area. My neighbors, mainly business owners, are being followed home, and at some point, their homes will be robbed. It's pretty crazy to see this happening.
Where do you live? Scary times we are living in.
Me? When I had the club I was in nyc area
That's my shithole now. Lol I've lived here my whole life. Would love to leave, but I can't.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:53 PM   #25
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCHMY6 View Post
Quote:
I was wondering how everyone is doing from the NY/NJ area? My gf actually had her BMW stolen out of red bank about two weeks ago. I'm seeing BMW theft on the rise locally, the police even warn us. If you live local, please lock cars, don't keep keys near them, don't even do the lock while the cars running and you run into the store. It's not safe… I've seen videos locally of ranges being stolen with some scanner device. They take them right from driveway.
Fucking punks don't even know how to steal cars the right way anymore. Nobody chops a column lol. I'm about to order myself an old fashioned Club. They don't know what that is…
Anyway. Stay safe, be vigilant…
My gfs car was taken after being in the store in broad daylight in ten minutes.
They stealing them on Long Island and they are being tracked to NJ… they stole 6 BMWs in one week in Merrick… do not leave the car running or keys near car… they look at the mirrors to see if they are folded in or not… if not, they steal it…. The tracking system goes dark somewhere in NJ
It's not just Long Island. It's the south shore of Staten Island, red bank, saddle River, Westfield. All the higher income areas. Detective friends and family of mine said it's all going to newark (which is where they tracked my gfs car) then loaded onto a ship and gone.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #26
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
[QUOTE=M3LISSA;28562149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol me too!

Quote:
I'm from NY, but I am in NJ a lot. And my gfs car was stolen in Red Bank, NJ, in broad daylight, along with a Porsche and then driven to Newark… so I wouldn't call either of these neighborhoods dangerous, or mine with homes upward of 900k, but that's exactly why they are targets. Thanks for assuming my neighborhood is dangerous though.
Burglary has been on the rise in my area. My neighbors, mainly business owners, are being followed home, and at some point, their homes will be robbed. It's pretty crazy to see this happening.
That's my shithole now. Lol I've lived here my whole life. Would love to leave, but I can't.
Cali ain't much better
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      02-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #27
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=themnmd;28562421]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol me too!

Quote:
Cali ain't much better
I have a lot of friends there and they say the same thing. AND you're over $5 a gallon. Lol 😂

Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      02-08-2022, 11:19 PM   #28
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
[QUOTE=M3LISSA;28562989]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol me too!

Quote:
Cali ain't much better
I have a lot of friends there and they say the same thing. AND you're over $5 a gallon. Lol 😂
Yep $5.15 - 5.19 for 91 octane
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      07-24-2022, 11:34 PM   #29
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Topcarbon;28558007]
Quote:
Lol me too!

Quote:
I did not assume anything
I wrote the opposite
I would not leave my car running, or keys in the car, or what ever might invite someone to take my car.
Has nothing to do with the neighborhood, and everything to do with the criminal.
Her car wasn't running…

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:37 PM   #30
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR_G80 View Post
People are leaving their fob's in the car, and thieves are taking them out of driveways. If the car's unlocked without the fob, they'll steal valuables. Lock your car and take the fob with you.

There's been loads of thefts in Westfield, but I know it's all throughout NJ. My wife's friend had a Range stolen out of Colts Neck, a month later it popped up in South Africa.
Why would anyone leave the fob IN the car though. I mean any car for that matter… I don't get that ?

Appreciate 1
      07-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #31
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Great. I purposely declined on getting a hellcat charger because I didn’t want to deal with stuff like this now they’re targeting M cars or just bmw’s in general?

Oh well thank god my car is a lease. If they take it don’t bring it back I’ll just get an m5 instead lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #32
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Great. I purposely declined on getting a hellcat charger because I didn’t want to deal with stuff like this now they’re targeting M cars or just bmw’s in general?

Oh well thank god my car is a lease. If they take it don’t bring it back I’ll just get an m5 instead lol.
Another one near my house. Actually two.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #33
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm just saying I'm sick of these low life cock suckers stealing shit that we work hard for. They need lead pumped into them. Sorry. That's how I feel.

Appreciate 7
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
tag215.50
Mark Kez2201.50
BIGW0RM3156.00
WolfGTI716.00
Drj161594.50
      07-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #34
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm just saying I'm sick of these low life cock suckers stealing shit that we work hard for. They need lead pumped into them. Sorry. That's how I feel.

So you think they're targeting just M cars or BMW's in general? Or anything they can get their hands on?

And what does it mean if they see the mirrors folded in or not? I don't get it. Folded in and they won't take it?
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      07-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #35
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So you think they're targeting just M cars or BMW's in general? Or anything they can get their hands on?

And what does it mean if they see the mirrors folded in or not? I don't get it. Folded in and they won't take it?
So if the mirrors are in they assumed locked, which is usually the case… if not then they assume either keys are left in them? Or close? From what I hear, they have a scanner and can scan the key from within the home, and send the signal to the computer they have and start the car and drive off in 30 seconds.
For some reason they're targeting BMW's the most, but they are also stealing Ranges, Benz's and other high end cars. My gfs BMW was stolen while a stolen Porsche was also used in it in Red Bank in broad daylight.
Ultimate driving machine? Lol

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #36
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if the mirrors are in they assumed locked, which is usually the case… if not then they assume either keys are left in them? Or close? From what I hear, they have a scanner and can scan the key from within the home, and send the signal to the computer they have and start the car and drive off in 30 seconds.
For some reason they're targeting BMW's the most, but they are also stealing Ranges, Benz's and other high end cars. My gfs BMW was stolen while a stolen Porsche was also used in it in Red Bank in broad daylight.
Oh, i thought i read the opposite where they look at if the mirrors are folded in, they take those. I guess i read it wrong.

I keep all my key fobs for all my cars in a faraday box. But i also wrapped that box in aluminum foil just in case. So i think i'm good there. I don't have a garage but i have a gated driveway. But my cars are parked in tandem so if i have to take out a car that's the furthest in my driveway, all the other cars are parked on the street until i get back with that car. Then i put everything back in.

I guess i'll keep a piece of foil with me so i can put the key fob in a piece of foil in case someone was nearby watching me do musical cars at my house.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #37
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, i thought i read the opposite where they look at if the mirrors are folded in, they take those. I guess i read it wrong.

I keep all my key fobs for all my cars in a faraday box. But i also wrapped that box in aluminum foil just in case. So i think i'm good there. I don't have a garage but i have a gated driveway. But my cars are parked in tandem so if i have to take out a car that's the furthest in my driveway, all the other cars are parked on the street until i get back with that car. Then i put everything back in.

I guess i'll keep a piece of foil with me so i can put the key fob in a piece of foil in case someone was nearby watching me do musical cars at my house.
Quote:
Quote:

You can get the pouch for the keys to carry with you. That's what I do. Same. I have the box for the spare keys and I have the pouch one for the fob in my car. I just take it out to start

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #38
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can get the pouch for the keys to carry with you. That's what I do. Same. I have the box for the spare keys and I have the pouch one for the fob in my car. I just take it out to start

I'll probably get the pouch as well so it doesn't look ghetto me carrying a piece of foil with me lol.

So if i take my fob out to start the car, and put the fob back in the pouch, that doesn't affect anything while driving? Like will i get a notification saying the car can't detect a key fob?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #39
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

one way to hack a rolling code keyfob (all modern cars and garage openers use rolling codes (also known as one time codes to defeat replay attacks) it to something called a rolljam attack where you jam the first code, the car wont unlock, so the user tries again, jam and record that code also and then transmit the first one to the car so it unlocks. Now you can use the 2nd code you stored. So if you need two presses to lock/unlock it's possible someone is executing that attack. But faraday boxes won't help since you need to take the fob out to use it.

They may help prevent against someone using a relay to amplify the radio signal from the comfort access system. So for example when you are inside your house the relay could fool the car into thinking you are next to it. I've noticed that my M3 doesn't auto unlock with CA until i touch the handle while the loaner 328 i was just driving unlocked as soon as I come close to it. (within 6 feet) so it can definitely be prone to that attack. This attack is more insidious as the car can be fooled into thinking the fob is present and can be used to start and drive away. It's also much harder to execute since it requires physical access to a location that is within range of the actual fob to relay the signal.

Last edited by BMWRacer523; 07-29-2022 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 09:47 PM   #40
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'll probably get the pouch as well so it doesn't look ghetto me carrying a piece of foil with me lol.

So if i take my fob out to start the car, and put the fob back in the pouch, that doesn't affect anything while driving? Like will i get a notification saying the car can't detect a key fob?
Not sure actually I have to try and see

Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      07-29-2022, 09:49 PM   #41
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
one way to hack a rolling code keyfob (all modern cars and garage openers use rolling codes (also known as one time codes to defeat replay attacks) it to something called a rolljam attack where you jam the first code, the car wont unlock, so the user tries again, jam and record that code also and then transmit the first one to the car so it unlocks. Now you can use the 2nd code you stored. So if you need two presses to lock/unlock it's possible someone is executing that attack. But faraday boxes won't help since you need to take the fob out to use it.

They may help prevent against someone using a relay to amplify the radio signal from the comfort access system. So for example when you are inside your house the relay could fool the car into thinking you are next to it. I've noticed that my M3 doesn't auto unlock with CA until i touch the handle while the loaner 328 i was just driving unlocked as soon as I come close to it. (within 6 feet) so it can definitely be prone to that attack. This attack is more insidious as the car can be fooled into thinking the fob is present and can be used to start and drive away. It's also much harder to execute since it requires physical access to a location that is within range of the actual fob to relay the signal.
So if keys are kept in the faraday box inside the home and they try to use the relay to get access to the car it won't read… correct??

Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 03:59 AM   #42
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if keys are kept in the faraday box inside the home and they try to use the relay to get access to the car it won't read… correct??
That's really the purpose of the faraday box.

A couple of years ago my friend had a Q60 and before his car got stolen, he saw 2 guys walking along the perimeter of his house. I guess they are scanning the key fob so they're trying to get close to it so the scanner can read the fob.

But not all faraday boxes are created equal. The one i bought on amazon, some people have tested it somehow. I figure if thieves have access to these scanners, other regular people who aren't thieves can too. But one amazon person took the box with the fob inside and walked up to his car and the car wouldn't unlock (like with keyless entry). But perhaps some cars are better than others as well with this type of safety/signal? I don't know.

In the end, i think if someone wants your car they can get it. But i think these faraday boxes, or even wrapping that box in foil like i did, can at least help. Or maybe make the thief think twice and they can move on.

But around where i am, if someone wants your car they'll get it without you around or in front of you, with force. Which happened to my friend with his scat pack. 3 dudes literally took it by force.
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2022, 05:12 AM   #43
Mark Kez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible

Just picked up my G83 last week. You guys are scaring the shit outta me!
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50
      07-30-2022, 08:18 AM   #44
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Correct, the relay wont be able to amplify the signal from the fob.
Appreciate 0