home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
Achtung_M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 MT

Must have G80/82 Track Enthusiast Mods

I recently completed my first track day in my '22 G80 M3 6MT and while I was pleasantly surprised by how well the car was able to handle the track and the high temps on the brakes/wheels, I know I need to make a few modifications to prepare the car to get the most out of the vehicle.

What are the essential modifications that need to be on the consistent track day enthusiast M3/M4?

While essentially remaining "budget friendly", it seems that a set of HAS springs, some track pads, and high temp fluids at a minimum however what are those brands/products and where are the best locations to purchase them? What are the consensus best? Can we get a running list?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung_M3 View Post
I recently completed my first track day in my '22 G80 M3 6MT and while I was pleasantly surprised by how well the car was able to handle the track and the high temps on the brakes/wheels, I know I need to make a few modifications to prepare the car to get the most out of the vehicle.

What are the essential modifications that need to be on the consistent track day enthusiast M3/M4?

While essentially remaining "budget friendly", it seems that a set of HAS springs, some track pads, and high temp fluids at a minimum however what are those brands/products and where are the best locations to purchase them? What are the consensus best? Can we get a running list?
Do not put HAS springs on your car for track purposes. It messes with the dampening and reduces suspension travel range.

Essentials for tracking regularly in order.

Brake Fluid (motul or srf)

Brake pads (cobalt or pagid)

Camber plates (unless you like buying tires every 5 sessions)

Track alignment (high neg camber, and some front toe out)( i have a lifetime alignment at my local firestone and the tech is very good dialing in what I want)

Second set of track tires, but would wait for better wheel options to do 295 or 305 square (using spacers up front)

When they're available giro-disc two piece rotors

Brake cooling (speed engineering)

If youre really going deep (Im getting there)

Monoball conversions
Lower control arms and tie rod ends
Sway bar end links

Coilovers

Track slicks

What did I leave off
      04-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
Achtung_M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. If HAS isn’t the best option, what is? KW v4? The stock car just looks like it’s screaming for suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. If HAS isn’t the best option, what is? KW v4? The stock car just looks like it’s screaming for suspension upgrades.
Unless your planning on dialing suspension rebound and compression, get a 2 way coil over. You will go from a progressive spring to a linear spring matched to then dampening rate. You will ruin your street ride though.

Lowering springs will have you running on the bump stops on track, and the kw has is way too soft for track. Get a set of eibachs if you're dead set on lowering but it will still be wearing your dampers out prematurely

Paging jetbill
      04-08-2022, 04:42 AM   #5
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Unless your planning on dialing suspension rebound and compression, get a 2 way coil over. You will go from a progressive spring to a linear spring matched to then dampening rate. You will ruin your street ride though.

Lowering springs will have you running on the bump stops on track, and the kw has is way too soft for track. Get a set of eibachs if you're dead set on lowering but it will still be wearing your dampers out prematurely

Paging jetbill
Your first post is great as you give lots of really good advice, but I disagree about not running lowered springs.

In my experience having tracked cars with stock and lowered springs, the firmer spring rates from lowered springs means they are less likely to bottom than stock springs, not more.

In addition to that the car sits a lot flatter, with the lower center of gravity and less weight transfer, helping corner speed.

If there was a scenario where lowered springs ran the same rates you would be spot on, but it would be very rare for aftermarket springs not to run stiffer rates.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Besides track pads and fresh fluid, the biggest bogey are camber plates. An absolute must on tracked cars.

I would not touch the suspension unless you're ready to spend real money. The stock suspension is great and you'll need something serious to upgrade. The KW-HAS / whatever is not going to make a difference, as it already didn't make a difference in the F8X. The dampers are your limitation, not the springs.

TCK makes a ~3k suspension for different generation M3s. In an E46 his suspension shaves 8 seconds, in an E9X it shaved 4 seconds, in an F8X it's 2 seconds and in a G8X... looks like he isn't proposing a suspension at all.
(approximated times)

Look at the costs for a high quality suspension. Dampers may be 6k, and springs are 0.6k for the 4 corners. That should tell us all that 'upgrading springs' on a stock suspension does basically zero
Appreciate 6
pinky_chi172.00
ATX_M3185.50
beachBmmr1447.00
Kaiz3n0.00
      04-10-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I've tracked the RWD G82 on MSS HAS and have not noticed any negative impact compared to stock suspension but admittedly haven't noticed a positive impact either.
If it wasn't for looks, I wouldn't have changed the factory suspension as I think it's fantastic.
As of now, I'm happy with the MSS HAS since I'm not willing to spend 5k on Coilovers with my intermediate driving skills. The car is already way faster than me even stock. Need to improve the driver first.
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      04-11-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do not put HAS springs on your car for track purposes. It messes with the dampening and reduces suspension travel range.

Track alignment (high neg camber, and some front toe out)( i have a lifetime alignment at my local firestone and the tech is very good dialing in what I want)

Second set of track tires, but would wait for better wheel options to do 295 or 305 square (using spacers up front)

Monoball conversions
Sway bar end links

Coilovers

Track slicks

What did I leave off
On the RWD G82 I went with 0 front toe alignment. I'm about to get an alignment soon on the XDrive before my first ever track day with it and I wonder if I should go with a small amount of toe out for it.

Any opinion or suggestions? I haven't tracked the XDrive or any AWD car before.
      04-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #9
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Monoball conversions
Sway bar end links

Coilovers

Track slicks

What did I leave off
On the RWD G82 I went with 0 front toe alignment. I'm about to get an alignment soon on the XDrive before my first ever track day with it and I wonder if I should go with a small amount of toe out for it.

On AWD idk…a little out definitely livened up steering, but I am not sure how it will translate on powered wheels. 1/8th out was mild, Im going to try a little more and see how understeer is in the turns. I guess you could always flip off 4wd if it behaves weird under power.

Tram-lining was brutal in the street with the track alignment tho.
      04-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #10
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Monoball conversions
Sway bar end links

Coilovers

Track slicks

What did I leave off

On AWD idk…a little out definitely livened up steering, but I am not sure how it will translate on powered wheels. 1/8th out was mild, Im going to try a little more and see how understeer is in the turns. I guess you could always flip off 4wd if it behaves weird under power.

Tram-lining was brutal in the street with the track alignment tho.
I could try a small toe out or just got zero front toe again which I liked in the past and is very common on tracked cars. It's pretty neutral.

This is what I was running on the RWD
Attached Images

04-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #11
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I could try a small toe out or just got zero front toe again which I liked in the past and is very common on tracked cars. It's pretty neutral.

This is what I was running on the RWD
Up to you, I like less rear toe and more camber. without it I wear the rear outer shoulders. Toe in scrubs out-to-in, so theres that too, its about tire life in track.

I might keep it neutral in awd so as not to introduce ghost steering in the straights. Toe out makes the car tramline a bit more without drive wheels, so unless you can change it quickly probably bettering off zero or toe in. (At least you fixed your crooked steering wheel from the factory with the uneven toe up front.

I also sit in it and that evens up out the camber aide to side when measuring..205lbs in one side matters.
Attached Images

Last edited by beachBmmr; 04-11-2022 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      04-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #12
Achtung_M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Besides track pads and fresh fluid, the biggest bogey are camber plates. An absolute must on tracked cars.

I would not touch the suspension unless you're ready to spend real money. The stock suspension is great and you'll need something serious to upgrade. The KW-HAS / whatever is not going to make a difference, as it already didn't make a difference in the F8X. The dampers are your limitation, not the springs.

TCK makes a ~3k suspension for different generation M3s. In an E46 his suspension shaves 8 seconds, in an E9X it shaved 4 seconds, in an F8X it's 2 seconds and in a G8X... looks like he isn't proposing a suspension at all.
(approximated times)

Look at the costs for a high quality suspension. Dampers may be 6k, and springs are 0.6k for the 4 corners. That should tell us all that 'upgrading springs' on a stock suspension does basically zero

So then should I jump to KW v4 and Millway Camber plates? Would that be too aggressive for a mainly street car?

When these pads and fluids need to get swapped, I was going swap the brake pads and fluids.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
So then should I jump to KW v4 and Millway Camber plates? Would that be too aggressive for a mainly street car?

When these pads and fluids need to get swapped, I was going swap the brake pads and fluids.
I wouldn't run a camber plate on a pure street car, it is always noisier.

If you really want to upgrade the suspension for track use I'd start with a MCS 1W. Still, it was reported that someone did a 2:01 at VIR in a stock G8X with Hoosier A7s, so if that is true I wouldn't touch the suspension unless it is a track focused car
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      04-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #14
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I've tracked the RWD G82 on MSS HAS and have not noticed any negative impact compared to stock suspension but admittedly haven't noticed a positive impact either.
If it wasn't for looks, I wouldn't have changed the factory suspension as I think it's fantastic.
As of now, I'm happy with the MSS HAS since I'm not willing to spend 5k on Coilovers with my intermediate driving skills. The car is already way faster than me even stock. Need to improve the driver first.
I've tracked my car back to back stock vs MSS HAS in the last month and no negative impact. Of course I did not slam it down either. I did add camber plates when I did the MSS and I do notice some slight NVH on the road but on track the setup was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #15
Celticsfan34life
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Comp

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Monoball conversions
Sway bar end links

Coilovers

Track slicks

What did I leave off
What do you think about Carbotech pads? Pagid are great pads but I've always used carbos. Only one other person on here Ive seen use them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #16
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
I've tracked my car back to back stock vs MSS HAS in the last month and no negative impact. Of course I did not slam it down either. I did add camber plates when I did the MSS and I do notice some slight NVH on the road but on track the setup was awesome.
What ride height did you set your MSS springs too? Did you notice any difference in front/rear balance? And which camber plates did you use?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #17
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_chi View Post
What ride height did you set your MSS springs too? Did you notice any difference in front/rear balance? And which camber plates did you use?
I kept the same front/rear rake. I didn't feel any significant difference in balance although I was pushing the car more than with the stock setup on track. I will post pics and some measurements soon.

Camber plates are millways street plates. Pretty happy with them as they only introduced a tiny bit more nvh. Would recommend to keep tire wear reasonable.

Even though my car is my "daily" I do not commute in it as I work from home. We also have 2 other cars. Will probably do 1 track event a month during the next few months as my schedule permits. So this setup is optimal for me.
Appreciate 1
pinky_chi172.00
      04-28-2022, 11:24 PM   #18
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I kept the same front/rear rake. I didn't feel any significant difference in balance although I was pushing the car more than with the stock setup on track. I will post pics and some measurements soon.

Camber plates are millways street plates. Pretty happy with them as they only introduced a tiny bit more nvh. Would recommend to keep tire wear reasonable.

Even though my car is my "daily" I do not commute in it as I work from home. We also have 2 other cars. Will probably do 1 track event a month during the next few months as my schedule permits. So this setup is optimal for me.
Oh nice thats good to hear. I plan on going a similar route as well, 4-5 track days a year with maybe 7-8 autocross weekends. I have my first track day this Saturday, running stock except for tires. I will probably get the millway street plates right after.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #19
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_chi View Post
Quote:

Oh nice thats good to hear. I plan on going a similar route as well, 4-5 track days a year with maybe 7-8 autocross weekends. I have my first track day this Saturday, running stock except for tires. I will probably get the millway street plates right after.
What tires are you going to be running?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:05 PM   #20
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What tires are you going to be running?
Kumho V730's in 275/35 square.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 04:53 AM   #21
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Bumping an old thread to see where everyone one is at today,

I just installed Monoballs and have to say it would be a priority to do on the G8X, the confidence you gain in the steering is eye opener, can't wait to experience it on track.

I was thinking about rear toe links to help with rear end stability, what do you guys think ?
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #22
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Bumping an old thread to see where everyone one is at today,

I just installed Monoballs and have to say it would be a priority to do on the G8X, the confidence you gain in the steering is eye opener, can't wait to experience it on track.

I was thinking about rear toe links to help with rear end stability, what do you guys think ?
You'll have to let us know. I don't have any confidence issues with the steering as is on track.
Appreciate 0