home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

Autocross questions

So, I did my first Autocross a few weeks ago and had a complete blast. I had just taken a full day BMW CCA driver skills class and it definitely helped.

As I did with the driver's skill class, I turned off AWD as well as traction control to try to better my driving skills. I could only stay 1/2 the day so I got in 4 runs and felt pretty good about my last few runs.

Going for a full day this weekend, and planning to play around with AWD vs RWD and traction control just to get a few different driving experiences. Any thoughts or recommendations on how most of you approach autocrossing with the XDrive? Appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
Devils41262.50
      04-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I've done 4 AutoX session in my Xdrive and one in the wet as well. after playing around on multiple runs, I go with 4wd MDM and sport + everything else except sport on engine. Sport + on engine messes with the throttle input so I like the control of sport.
the logic controller for Xdrive does a great job putting power down and eliminating understeer, I can rotate into most corners no issue.

I have this youtube video I made after my session in the rain if you want to see some of the runs.

Current: '23 G80 M3 Comp - BG over FR
Past: '16 Mineral Grey M235i, '03 e46 330i
Appreciate 2
PLF693766.00
Needsdecaf6599.00
      04-26-2023, 02:00 AM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've done several autocrosses and time attack on a small track that is basically an autocross (40-50 sec laps, very little warm up). I got 2nd fastest time in my class against an SCCA champion, and I've gotten 1st several times in Time Attack overall (no classes).

I find that X-Drive is excellent, and you only really need to turn it off for drift events, which I don't do. You can steer by throttle like my RWD F80 M3 CS, and there is no understeer like traditional AWD vehicles. I figure, why pay the weight penalty and not take advantage of the extra front traction?

My settings are:

AWD: Sport
Throttle: Sport+
Steering: Comfort
Shifting: S3
Brakes: Sport
Suspension: Sport+
DSC: Off

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
colo3Kid154.50
      04-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #4
arulm3cx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've done several autocrosses and time attack on a small track that is basically an autocross (40-50 sec laps, very little warm up). I got 2nd fastest time in my class against an SCCA champion, and I've gotten 1st several times in Time Attack overall (no classes).

I find that X-Drive is excellent, and you only really need to turn it off for drift events, which I don't do. You can steer by throttle like my RWD F80 M3 CS, and there is no understeer like traditional AWD vehicles. I figure, why pay the weight penalty and not take advantage of the extra front traction?

My settings are:

AWD: Sport
Throttle: Sport+
Steering: Comfort
Shifting: S3
Brakes: Sport
Suspension: Sport+
DSC: Off
DSC off with Mtraction control at 10 or ?? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulm3cx View Post
DSC off with Mtraction control at 10 or ?? Thank you
Honestly I’ve yet to play with that!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 10:52 AM   #6
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

I am very interested in hearing more from others that have done autoX with their G80/82. I have a '22 G82CX and have been approached by the local SCAA guys about joining their group. I haven't tried it with my car yet.

Lots of questions.

I went on a couple of ride alongs earlier this month with 2 others and experienced a lot of queasiness. The first 2 runs with the first driver were not very smooth and I had no breakfast that morning. It wasn't the best experience for a first timer. I did 1 more run with another driver, who was better/smoother with their driving but was still shaking off the bad feelings from the earlier 2 runs.

Competition was open to all that day, however was a challenge between the Miata's and Mini-Coppers -- so the course was extremely tight - since the club president and his son set up the course and the son drives a Miata.

Then there are my questions about car setup and other mechanical setup like: tire pressure, tires themselves, changing/flushing brake fluid, turning and fuel mixes, and other prep for racing that I have no idea about. So jmg's setup info was very interesting.

Seems a bit overwhelming for now and creates a lot of doubt if this is for me?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo3Kid View Post
I am very interested in hearing more from others that have done autoX with their G80/82. I have a '22 G82CX and have been approached by the local SCAA guys about joining their group. I haven't tried it with my car yet.

Lots of questions.

I went on a couple of ride alongs earlier this month with 2 others and experienced a lot of queasiness. The first 2 runs with the first driver were not very smooth and I had no breakfast that morning. It wasn't the best experience for a first timer. I did 1 more run with another driver, who was better/smoother with their driving but was still shaking off the bad feelings from the earlier 2 runs.

Competition was open to all that day, however was a challenge between the Miata's and Mini-Coppers — so the course was extremely tight - since the club president and his son set up the course and the son drives a Miata.

Then there are my questions about car setup and other mechanical setup like: tire pressure, tires themselves, changing/flushing brake fluid, turning and fuel mixes, and other prep for racing that I have no idea about. So jmg's setup info was very interesting.

Seems a bit overwhelming for now and creates a lot of doubt if this is for me?
Don’t concern yourself with all the mechanical details that make you faster. This is your first time, so just go out there and have fun!

Part of the appeal of autocross is low risk, accesability, and relativley low wear and tear on consumables. You can bring a G82 in stock form and it’s going to work just fine. Learn the car, learn the track, explore your limits, worry about that other stuff later.

Being a passenger is definitely at more punishing experience and feeling queasy is normal. In fact, when I first started tracking I felt a tiny bit queasy even as a driver. I even witnessed a fellow student throw up at BMW M school, so it’s totally normal. You will get used to it eventually, and I bet you won’t feel nearly as queasy once you’re behind the wheel.

Appreciate 2
colo3Kid154.50
Turbodu07185.00
      04-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #8
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Don’t concern yourself with all the mechanical details that make you faster. This is your first time, so just go out there and have fun!

Part of the appeal of autocross is low risk, accesability, and relativley low wear and tear on consumables. You can bring a G82 in stock form and it’s going to work just fine. Learn the car, learn the track, explore your limits, worry about that other stuff later.

Being a passenger is definitely at more punishing experience and feeling queasy is normal. In fact, when I first started tracking I felt a tiny bit queasy even as a driver. I even witnessed a fellow student throw up at BMW M school, so it’s totally normal. You will get used to it eventually, and I bet you won’t feel nearly as queasy once you’re behind the wheel.
Thanks for encouragement, and my misspelling.

Yeah I am not even worried about trying to be faster everyone says just go for it, but.... ?

Thought about an M school to get better understanding of car and of my skills, but quite a distance either to California or to S Carolina since I am in the middle of country.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:45 PM   #9
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 with a Stick

done auto-x with my G80 Manual 5-6 time.. I find everything on comfort/Normai. and MDM turn off complete. is the funnest.. not timed event. just having fun.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 04:39 AM   #10
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

Quote:
Honestly I’ve yet to play with that!
You can only set TC levels when you go 2WD mode, it's not available on any of the 4WD modes, not that it needs its really.
Appreciate 1
jmg18705.00
      10-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils41 View Post
I've done 4 AutoX session in my Xdrive and one in the wet as well. after playing around on multiple runs, I go with 4wd MDM and sport + everything else except sport on engine. Sport + on engine messes with the throttle input so I like the control of sport.
the logic controller for Xdrive does a great job putting power down and eliminating understeer, I can rotate into most corners no issue.

I have this youtube video I made after my session in the rain if you want to see some of the runs.
How are your brake pads doing with A-X? I've yet to get my car and have been reading about all the dusting issues with stock pads and rear pads getting destroyed with track use. Was thinking of switching to iSweep 2000's just for lower dust. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #12
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
After a decent amount of sessions, here are my thoughts…

I really like the AWD with DSC completely off (this doesn’t allow 1-10 level if I remember correctly) when I’m chasing lap times. I can still throttle steer along with having much better traction.

I had a blast using 4WD Sport in MDM mode, but it seems like the car intentionally tries to throw the back end out. This is awesome and so much fun, but gives me slower lap times.

I haven’t played around in RWD only mode (this is where the 1-10 level settings come in) enough to give a full review. If I’m really going for a fun “drift” lap, I think this would be the perfect setup for more of an advanced driver. Being fairly new, I found MDM to be a “cheat code” for safe drifting.

Needsdecaf I haven’t had any brake fading issues during 20min+ runs. I run into tire issues on the PS4S first before I notice any loss in braking power. I have a lot to learn about tire management it seems 🤣

If you are looking for dust generation only, the stock pads do generate a bunch, but I’m not sure it’s causing any issues for me personally. I have a set of Pagid RSL29 for larger tracks, but haven’t had to go into anything other than stock during autocross sessions
Appreciate 2