07-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #111
etxebarri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Coup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodalu View Post
I highly suggest everyone visits Don @ unexpected Creations (Edison, NJ) to get an anti-theft device installed. I paid less than $400 and took Don about 20 mins to install. I've known Don for 20+ years now. He's been an OG in the audio / alarm business. He owns a BMW and I'm pretty sure he's a member here.

His information:

Phone: (732) 572-1969
Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/unexpectedcreationsnj/
4.8-4.9 Star review.
Thanks, which device did you install there?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #112
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 & 19 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by etxebarri View Post
Thanks, which device did you install there?
Good morning,

Give Don a call to see what works best for you as he has different options.
2022 M3 Competition XDrive
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 06:41 AM   #113
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Precautions you can take to prevent Car Theft

There are a few things I did and you can do to prevent car theft in public areas and if your car is parked in your driveway. Car theft happens a lot in cities with a port, stolen cars are shipped overseas in containers. On a recent vistit to Montreal there was a car stolen every night at our hotel (which was right next to a BMW dealer) They even stole a Lexus RX350 parked next to my X5, but did not touch my car thankfully.

1) Get a Faraday case for your key fob, this one in medium size works great and only 12.99 for two pouches. It will prevent someone from scanning your key fob in your pocket or from outside your home:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Blo...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

2) Get a Club for your steering wheel and use it! They can probaably jimmy the lock or cut your steering wheel to remove it but that takes extra time and the thieves will probably go to another car instead of risking getting caught.

https://www.amazon.com/3000-Hooks-St...ps%2C93&sr=8-6

My 2023 X5 has an alarm (standard equipment) motion sensors and will sound an alarm when locked if the car is lifted (tow truck) or if there is movement inside the car.
Protect your car when it's exposed!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 08:42 AM   #114
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
There are a few things I did and you can do to prevent car theft in public areas and if your car is parked in your driveway. Car theft happens a lot in cities with a port, stolen cars are shipped overseas in containers. On a recent vistit to Montreal there was a car stolen every night at our hotel (which was right next to a BMW dealer) They even stole a Lexus RX350 parked next to my X5, but did not touch my car thankfully.

1) Get a Faraday case for your key fob, this one in medium size works great and only 12.99 for two pouches. It will prevent someone from scanning your key fob in your pocket or from outside your home:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Blo...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

2) Get a Club for your steering wheel and use it! They can probaably jimmy the lock or cut your steering wheel to remove it but that takes extra time and the thieves will probably go to another car instead of risking getting caught.

https://www.amazon.com/3000-Hooks-St...ps%2C93&sr=8-6

My 2023 X5 has an alarm (standard equipment) motion sensors and will sound an alarm when locked if the car is lifted (tow truck) or if there is movement inside the car.
Protect your car when it's exposed!!
I have both lol I even have the spares in the faraday box that looks like a jewelry box.
I never leave my car in the driveway anymore.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #115
JDR_G80
IG jerseydentrepair IG dravitgrey_g80c
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80c

I keep my keys upstairs somewhere while the car is in the garage. And when I have the car in the driveway I still bring the keys inside. It's a real pain the ass. I can't believe I have to worry about it on a random sunny weekend day.
      10-28-2023, 07:50 AM   #116
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR_G80 View Post
I keep my keys upstairs somewhere while the car is in the garage. And when I have the car in the driveway I still bring the keys inside. It's a real pain the ass. I can't believe I have to worry about it on a random sunny weekend day.
Same… it’s unfortunate that it’s never NOT on my mind…
I don’t even drive to my house if someone’s been behind me too long en route

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:40 PM   #117
PipeM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS 500, 2024 M3 comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
Was looking for stolen M discussion and found this thread.

My neighbor's '22 X3MC was stolen from our apt building's garage 10 days ago from waterfront Jersey City NJ building. An X5MC was stolen from another buildings garage in the neighborhood 2 weeks earlier. Read that another X3MC was gone in April from Westfield NJ!

In the case of our X3MC, we are assuming that an RF relay signal booster could have been used. Security footage that building management showed them his car been driven off around 1:00AM on a saturday. He found out the next day morning. Police could not provide a report right away and BMW NA would not cooporate to help locate it without a report even calling from a police precinct! BMW said how do we know you are telling the truth? WTF. He said to call the precinct but they would not. Last known location showed few blocks away with trunk open on phone app which most likely the time they disabled the car's OEM tracking right away.

This shit is on the rise so take your precautions. THe next day I bought a club that I have not used since the 90's and a wheel boot along with faraday pouches. I put my keys in a metal box at home that tested near and in the car with FOBs. I no longer leave my parking gate opener tag in the car. Stupid building management was forcing people to display it on rearview mirror with parking spot number but fuck that at this point since it is my paid spot.

I have few airtag's hidden in car that are hacked and no longer make audible noise even if a message pops on thieves phone saying there is an unknown airtag traveling [...]
Hi. Any feedback on the star stopper?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:06 AM   #118
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeM3 View Post
Hi. Any feedback on the star stopper?
Thanks!
Cheap to purchase for $70 and a simple idea but time consuming to install. Cost me around $650 for labor. if you want the buttons hidden like I did then it takes time.

The biggest downside is losing the OEM remote start. I got a CPO g20 330ix as a daily now that has a remote start so it is no longer a problem for me. If you want to keep the remote start then you need to look into IGLA , $2000 installed which also has an anti car jacking disabling features. Believe it is called Ghost in UK market.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 1
PipeM3196.00
      01-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #119
lo_down
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hi all,

New here, but not new to bmw Figured I would share my experience since car theft has been a hot topic in NJ these days.

I was carjacked while washing my 2022 X3 M40i in my driveway in broad daylight in September 2022. A dark gray/blue X5 without plates (likely an individual color, close to Orinoco Metallic if I has to guess) pulled up and someone in a ski mask/gloves started my car and flew out of my driveway. The GPS was ripped out within minutes (last location a vacant garage in Irvington). I live in Union County and it turned up 72 hours later in East Orange parked in an assigned parking spot.

All things considered, it was recovered in pretty immaculate condition, minus the heavy smoke stench, dutch guts, and cigarette ashes— still have a few cigarette burns in the carpet that I need to deal with.

To add insult to injury, I ended up getting a speeding ticket, courtesy of a NYC dept of finance from a red light camera for "speeding in a school zone," and ended up being forced to pay it because even after I presented police reports, repair orders from the shop, etc, the judge claimed I "could have recovered my car" by the offense date.

Fast forward to last month, there was another attempted theft. This time at 5am, they pulled on the handles and then proceeded to the backyard with a crow bar, presumably to find the key fob (in a faraday box). Something scared them away, not sure what... I do have dogs, so that's my guess.

Since my baby was stolen, I've installed more sophisticated tracking, and hid a few air tags. Next step will be Dahler ATTC. I'm interested to see if anyone has had any success with an aftermarket alarm system. After some research, I came across Pandora and was told they are officially launching in the USA in Q3/Q4 this year. More info on features here.

Has anyone installed any Pandora systems? Curious to hear thoughts on Pandora/other aftermarket alarms. Also, any recommendations on installers in the NJ/NYC area are greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by lo_down; 01-18-2024 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 02:42 PM   #120
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_down View Post
Hi all,

New here, but not new to bmw Figured I would share my experience since car theft has been a hot topic in NJ these days.

I was carjacked while washing my 2022 X3 M40i in my driveway in broad daylight in September 2022. A dark gray/blue X5 without plates (likely an individual color, close to Orinoco Metallic if I has to guess) pulled up and someone in a ski mask/gloves started my car and flew out of my driveway. The GPS was ripped out within minutes (last location a vacant garage in Irvington). I live in Union County and it turned up 72 hours later in East Orange parked in an assigned parking spot.

All things considered, it was recovered in pretty immaculate condition, minus the heavy smoke stench, dutch guts, and cigarette ashes— still have a few cigarette burns in the carpet that I need to deal with.

To add insult to injury, I ended up getting a speeding ticket, courtesy of a NYC dept of finance from a red light camera for "speeding in a school zone," and ended up being forced to pay it because even after I presented police reports, repair orders from the shop, etc, the judge claimed I "could have recovered my car" by the offense date.

Fast forward to last month, there was another attempted theft. This time at 5am, they pulled on the handles and then proceeded to the backyard with a crow bar, presumably to find the key fob (in a faraday box). Something scared them away, not sure what... I do have dogs, so that's my guess.

Since my baby was stolen, I've installed more sophisticated tracking, and hid a few air tags. Next step [...]
IGLA is like Pandora and maybe the same product renamed. Good to hear Pandora is coming to States cause we badly need it. Found 2 shops around NYC that said they could install IGLA for $2000. Found them on a Reddit post. One in E. Orange NJ and other one in Smithtown LI if I recall correctly.
My concern with Dahler unit is the car will still roll when put in drive in automatic tranny. Might work to stop the theft of a manual car though since it cuts power to accelerator/gas pedal.

I got starterstopper which is a passive kill switch installed and works great except for car jacking situation. I guess with car running I can turn off the car and throw them the key and run the other way or press the auto on/off button before getting out, the car will shut off at red light and they won’t be able to restart it.

PM me your tracking solution. I am curious.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 07:55 PM   #121
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

Interesting on the Pandora. Wonder if you can get 2-1 for the 6MT and they can get remote start to work in addition to the alarm functions.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:58 AM   #122
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_down View Post
Hi all,

Since my baby was stolen, I've installed more sophisticated tracking, and hid a few air tags. Next step [...]
I looked at pandora and just wanted the basic system. Website is glossy but lacking detail. Got a call from a salesperson who said I needed the storm pro for an M3 ‘cause of the attack vectors. A price difference of over £1000. I asked him to send details to justify but silence. Same thing with Ghost. Leaves me with a feeling they are cowboys ( no offence to real cowboys &#128512
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:26 PM   #123
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Get Tury Fast Max installed, put the vehicle in lock mode every night and get a brake pedal lock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 01:37 PM   #124
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Get Tury Fast Max installed, put the vehicle in lock mode every night and get a brake pedal lock.
Elaborate. What’s the Fast Max and what do you mean by “lock mode” every night.
Guessing locking the car ? Which I’m assuming everyone’s doing regardless. Or at least I’d hope so

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:10 PM   #125
Toodalu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
Elaborate. What’s the Fast Max and what do you mean by “lock mode” every night.
Guessing locking the car ? Which I’m assuming everyone’s doing regardless. Or at least I’d hope so
It's one of the anti-theft devices Don at unexpected creations installs. Through the app, you simply hit "LOCK" and the vehicle is disabled, even if it's started, it's not moving.

Chances of the likely hood of knowing such a device is installed while trying to steal the vehicle is slim and unlikely anyone would invest time to remove the device. At best, it slows them down enough for them to bail or be caught.

Between this and some sort of steering wheel or pedal lock, not many are going to waste time.

I've posted the information on various local car pages and to no surprise many haven't taken the situation seriously enough to either call Don or purchase something and have fallen victim to theft.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 07:14 AM   #126
Vinknee
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 | '14 Cayenne

Just saw an alert on citizen for an armed robbery at a garage (probably valet) in greenwich village and the thieves made off with two M3 xdrive? X3M?

Seems like these cars are being targeted pretty hard around here. Quickly went to my garage to make sure my car was where it’s supposed to be

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:00 PM   #127
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinknee View Post
Just saw an alert on citizen for an armed robbery at a garage (probably valet) in greenwich village and the thieves made off with two M3 xdrive? X3M?

Seems like these cars are being targeted pretty hard around here. Quickly went to my garage to make sure my car was where it’s supposed to be

Holy fuck…..
this is scary… I swear

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:30 PM   #128
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I highly suggest everyone visits Don @ unexpected Creations (Edison, NJ) to get an anti-theft device installed. I paid less than $400 and took Don about 20 mins to install. I've known Don for 20+ years now. He's been an OG in the audio / alarm business. He owns a BMW and I'm pretty sure he's a member here.

His information:

Phone: (732) 572-1969
Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/unexpectedcreationsnj/
4.8-4.9 Star review.
Just called Don for the ATTC and he quoted me $350 for the installation and device. He tells me this is connected via Bluetooth with my phone. My phone would need to be next to the car to unlock. Is this the most effective Anti-Theft method? What are the vulnerabilities? I know there is no such thing a 100% anti-theft. If they want the car, they WILL take it. But this seems like a nice deterrent.

A buddy of mine sold his Hellcat for a Mach 1 Stang because of the rise in car thefts recently. Another buddy of mine got his Acura TL stolen right in front of his home parked in the garage.

It's getting really bad out here in the NYC area.
Appreciate 0