BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

03-31-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Convertibl

First Wash - What I learned

Got my G83 six or so weeks ago and have been accumulating some new kit to keep it clean and today was a good day to try out the new routine. A few things I learned…

- Pollen season in GA sucks and the car is already tinted yellow after the wash - but whatever, it really needed a cleaning
- Having ceramic really did make the wash much easier in general, the towels just glide across the paint
- Using an EGO blower is a game changer for me - no worry about swirls and it dries very quickly
- The one bucket method with a bunch of microfibers worked really well and it's nice not to have to wash a roof
- The wheels on this thing (826) really suck to clean BUT I got a got an Incredibrush from OG which not only does the barrels but fits into the odd-shaped crevices and worked really well
- The Koch GSF has a weird "film" that appears pretty quickly but seems to wash away easily
- Ammo's tire mud is good stuff
- Cords and hoses getting tangled up as I move around the car is a pain in the ass
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
element561091.00
evoi191523.50
Mowe2456.00
Limegrntaln13473.50
Flying051305.50
FrankieNuo1219.00
Volcanic168.00
      04-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

i agree with everything you said and I'd like to add:
- I find it difficult to really clean my windows so it's crystal clear

BTW what's the one bucket method with MF towels?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      04-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post

I read somewhere or watched a video where the guy used one bucket with about eight towels in it. Each one was folded so it could be used eight times. Clean an area, flip the towel until it's been used up and then go to the next. No dirty water rinse or anything.

Seemed to work fine but the towels I used weren't ideal as they wanted to unfold. Need to find some better ones.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
Mowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2022 BMW M4   [10.00]
Been using an EGO blower for ~4 years. Game changer for sure.
Sparky_12362.00
      04-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky_12 View Post
Got my G83 six or so weeks ago and have been accumulating some new kit to keep it clean and today was a good day to try out the new routine. A few things I learned…

- Pollen season in GA sucks and the car is already tinted yellow after the wash - but whatever, it really needed a cleaning
- Having ceramic really did make the wash much easier in general, the towels just glide across the paint
- Using an EGO blower is a game changer for me - no worry about swirls and it dries very quickly
- The one bucket method with a bunch of microfibers worked really well and it's nice not to have to wash a roof
- The wheels on this thing (826) really suck to clean BUT I got a got an Incredibrush from OG which not only does the barrels but fits into the odd-shaped crevices and worked really well
- The Koch GSF has a weird "film" that appears pretty quickly but seems to wash away easily
- Cords and hoses getting tangled up as I move around the car is a pain in the ass
Same, here. Being ceramic coated, is a game changer, in itself. This is my 3rd car that's been ceramic coated, and its 100% worth it.

I have an incredibrush, but with CCBs, it doesn't fit into my barrels. I have the EZ Detail Brush, as well, and that has a rounded cap on the end, which gets stuck behind my front brake heatshield, and I have to turn the wheel, and bend it from the back of the wheel to get it out. There really is no wheel solution if you have these brakes.

I love my Ego blower. I recently purchased the stubby nozzle for it. I ordered it from an Etsy store. The money that OG wants for his stubby blower nozzle, is a little crazy. This one is like half the price. His has the nice buttons to remove the stubby nozzle, but I think this one just looks sleeker, and if you pinch the top and bottom, it slides right off.

I noticed washing with GSF, in even very light sunlight, like 60 degree day, that GSF does leave a weird film, especially on the windows. Im almost to the point, where I'm going to start just doing waterless washes. I ordered some ONR, and a big red sponge, yesterday. Ive been using Ethos D3fy, and it's been amazing. You just go though more rags.

I've never used Ammo Tire mud, but when I bring my car back to the detailer to check the PPF, they always wash my car, and use Meguiars Professional All Season tire dressing. This stuff lasts forever, on the tires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sparky_12362.00
element561091.00
      04-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
hk328
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Base

Which EGO blower are you guys using?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      04-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk328 View Post
I have the 650 cfm version. Think I got it at Lowes.
Appreciate 4
Mowe2456.00
hk32861.50
element561091.00
Limegrntaln13473.50
      04-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #8
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:

Same, here. Being ceramic coated, is a game changer, in itself. This is my 3rd car that's been ceramic coated, and its 100% worth it.

I have an incredibrush, but with CCBs, it doesn't fit into my barrels. I have the EZ Detail Brush, as well, and that has a rounded cap on the end, which gets stuck behind my front brake heatshield, and I have to turn the wheel, and bend it from the back of the wheel to get it out. There really is no wheel solution if you have these brakes.

I love my Ego blower. I recently purchased the stubby nozzle for it. I ordered it from an Etsy store. The money that OG wants for his stubby blower nozzle, is a little crazy. This one is like half the price. His has the nice buttons to remove the stubby nozzle, but I think this one just looks sleeker, and if you pinch the top and bottom, it slides right off.

I noticed washing with GSF, in even very light sunlight, like 60 degree day, that GSF does leave a weird film, especially on the windows. Im almost to the point, where I'm going to start just doing waterless washes. I ordered some ONR, and a big red sponge, yesterday. Ive been using Ethos D3fy, and it's been amazing. You just go though more rags.

I've never used Ammo Tire mud, but when I bring my car back to the detailer to check the PPF, they always wash my car, and use Meguiars Professional All Season tire dressing. This stuff lasts forever, on the tires.

Great info. I saw the stubby nozzle on Etsy but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I don't want to pay OG's price so maybe I'll just do it. Does it actually "attach" or is it just pushed in?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      04-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:

Great info. I saw the stubby nozzle on Etsy but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I don't want to pay OG's price so maybe I'll just do it. Does it actually "attach" or is it just pushed in?
It attaches, and uses the 2 side knobs that the long one attaches to. Then you just squeeze the top and bottom, to remove it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mowe2456.00
Sparky_12362.00
      04-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #10
Aeromotive
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: you bonkers

Quote:

Quote:
I read somewhere or watched a video where the guy used one bucket with about eight towels in it. Each one was folded so it could be used eight times. Clean an area, flip the towel until it's been used up and then go to the next. No dirty water rinse or anything.

Seemed to work fine but the towels I used weren't ideal as they wanted to unfold. Need to find some better ones.
I also use that method. It's from that guy Garry Dean on YT.
I'm too lazy for a hose, pressure washer, grit guard and water changing but I still don't want swirls
I've been using it for the last 7 years and it's been incredible for swirl prevention.

Basically a soiled MF is never reintroduced into the wash bucket.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 02:39 AM   #11
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Just bought an EGO blower off of the back of this post…

Stop making me spend money!
Appreciate 2
Mowe2456.00
JDUNITNOW3513.00
      04-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #12
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromotive View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I'm too lazy for a hose, pressure washer, grit guard and water changing but I still don't want swirls
I've been using it for the last 7 years and it's been incredible for swirl prevention.

So it's one bucket with multiple MF towels and each one is used only once?

Interesting idea and it makes sense. Less stuff to care for also. I've been using the two bucket method for quite a few years and it works well but if I can eliminate a few items/steps, that'll work also!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #13
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeromotive View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Interesting idea and it makes sense. Less stuff to care for also. I've been using the two bucket method for quite a few years and it works well but if I can eliminate a few items/steps, that'll work also!
Yup. The key, in my experience so far, is the towel itself. It has to be large enough so you get good coverage and not so "fluffy" that it wants to roll while you wash. I bought eight of the Edgeless plush microfiber from The Rag Company and had trouble with them. I'm sure I can find a use for them, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #14
Aeromotive
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: you bonkers

Quote:

Yes, one bucket with Optimum No Rinse (there are probably others, but ONR seems to be the most popular one?)

I count one MF per panel.

All MF's are folded twice (so 8 sides) and soaked in the solution. Do one or two passes with one side, unfold, use the other side, complete the panel, etc. Go from top to bottom of the car and dry as you go. I usually don't use more than 3 sides of the same MF because they get dry as you go.

If the car is very dirty I use ONR at QD dilution to pre-soak the panels.

Hope it helps!
Appreciate 1
evoi191523.50
      04-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #15
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Your pit sold me on a new blower as well. Got the EGO 765 com to replace my old gas stihl. This thing is a beast especially when pressing the turbo button. I'm sure it will work way better on my car as well.
      04-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #16
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Your pit sold me on a new blower as well. Got the EGO 765 com to replace my old gas stihl. This thing is a beast especially when pressing the turbo button. I'm sure it will work way better on my car as well.
That thing is definitely a beast. I ordered the stubby nozzle with the band from Etsy so looking forward to that. The spend never ends…
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      04-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #17
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

So, before I go buying an EGO dryer as well... Are you guys saying there's no need for squeegee'ing or hand drying when using the blower (if ceramic coated)? No streaks left on the paint?
      04-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #18
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
So, before I go buying an EGO dryer as well... Are you guys saying there's no need for squeegee'ing or hand drying when using the blower (if ceramic coated)? No streaks left on the paint?
+1, cause now I'm eyeing getting this as well.

This forum has cost me a lot of money…

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 04:56 PM   #19
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
You'll be able to get the majority of the water off but will most likely need to give it a quick once over with a drying towel.

The difference being that with a blower, you won't need to have anywhere near as much contact with the car when drying (meaning you'll minimise swirls and save a few drying towels). Plus, the biggest benefit is getting all that annoying water out from the usual culprits…wheels, rear bumper, grille, door shuts, mirrors etc.

You will however, look like a right weirdo to all your neighbours.
Appreciate 4
      04-06-2022, 04:57 PM   #20
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Cool, thanks. I've already got a small investment with Black & Decker's line of 40v-tools, which are not exactly heavy duty but work well enough for me. Looks like they have a 125mph blower that's half the price of the EGO one, so maybe I'll try that...
      04-06-2022, 05:06 PM   #21
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

That'll easily do the job mate. Tbh, a pet blower from Amazon (for about £50) would do you just fine, and they can provide warm air as well. You would however, have to plug this in and lug it around the car.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #22
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I have a BLO Air Dryet S along with 0a cordless0 blower. The ir dryer s I use to get into the wheels, inside door jambs and other hard to get places. This car leaks water everywhere and when you think you have dried it, water still drains from somewhere.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2