BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
Teshology
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Just picked up my 2022 G82 M4 - little dissapointed

Hey guys,

I just picked up my G82 IOMG M4 today... loving it so far... but I discovered one thing thats really bothering me..

Long story short, I built out my 21 model and later was told from my SA that I would be getting the the 22 model. In the 21 model I built, the Laser Lights was part of the executive package.... now it seems its a add-on with the 22 models and not part of the executive package.

I guess my question is, although I know it will be expensive, is a retro fit possible? other then just swapping out the head fixtures... does the vehicle need anything else? I really don't like how the normal lights do not have the full Halo rings... any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Unless you were informed of the change, I would not accept the car. Laser lights are not wireless charging, they are super expensive, and next gen tech.

I have in writing with my sales guy that no changes to the 2022 model will impact my car except the wireless charging, and if the Laser lights somehow become omitted, then I would not accept the car. This is for an Australia destined car.

BMW should install them at their cost if they were part of the car that you ordered, and you were not informed of the change and were okay with it.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Even if you can get them retrofitted, you still have to get them programmed to the car, and the vehicle will likely not have the wiring harnesses to support it. Ive seen used ones for sale, on eBay for like $4,000.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 08-21-2021 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #4
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshology View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up my G82 IOMG M4 today... loving it so far... but I discovered one thing thats really bothering me..

Long story short, I built out my 21 model and later was told from my SA that I would be getting the the 22 model. In the 21 model I built, the Laser Lights was part of the executive package.... now it seems its a add-on with the 22 models and not part of the executive package.

I guess my question is, although I know it will be expensive, is a retro fit possible? other then just swapping out the head fixtures... does the vehicle need anything else? I really don't like how the normal lights do not have the full Halo rings... any suggestions?
Why did you accept delivery? You ordered a specific configuration. It’s not your fault that the packages changed for the 22 MY. Unless you were given a new build sheet to sign off and you did so without looking at what you were getting.

Now that you’ve accepted delivery, you don’t have a whole lot of options. Trade in the car maybe? You can ask the dealer to try and retrofit for you. I don’t know how far they’ll go with that.
Appreciate 5
      08-21-2021, 12:55 AM   #5
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

This happened to me. I opted to wait for another allocation. Now I pay the price to wait again.
Appreciate 5
Limegrntaln13473.50
heavyD^23688.50
rideontwo189.50
siegester344.50
      08-21-2021, 01:20 AM   #6
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I made sure my order was as I wanted it, in every detail. If my car comes wrong, the dealer will have a $103K showroom queen. Luckily, its a 2022 xDrive, and people are still going to want the car. I saw a 2021 RWD Comp, recently, at a dealer. It was specd to $105K, and its been sitting and sitting.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #7
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Not sure how this is anyone else’s fault but yours. Not trying to be a dick, but there’s been tons of commentary about laser lights being separate from exec for ‘22.

You also presumably saw the build sheet.

You accepted delivery.

Pay the retrofit price (probably $10kish), live with it, or trade the car in and hope you don’t get crushed.

My personal opinion would be to just live with it. I agree, the base lights don’t look great, but I wouldn’t be spending 10 times the cost to retrofit and I likely wouldn’t sell the car over it. I simply wouldn’t have accepted delivery to begin with.
Appreciate 5
      08-21-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Not sure how this is anyone else’s fault but yours. Not trying to be a dick, but there’s been tons of commentary about laser lights being separate from exec for ‘22.

You accepted delivery.

Pay the retrofit price (probably $10kish), live with it, or trade the car in and hope you don’t get crushed.

My personal opinion would be to just live with it. I agree, the base lights don’t look great, but I wouldn’t be spending 10 times the cost to retrofit and I likely wouldn’t sell the car over it. I simply wouldn’t have accepted delivery to begin with.
I have checked/rechecked my build sheet 100 times just to make sure it doesnt change.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      08-21-2021, 06:45 AM   #9
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

I work at a different brand as a salesperson and it’s our responsibility to inform the customer for changes like these. You already took the car so there’s no recourse for you unfortunately, but definitely a lazy salesman at that dealer.
Appreciate 3
Tdubb88188.50
Limegrntaln13473.50
      08-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:

You accepted delivery.

Quote:
Not sure how this is anyone else's fault but yours. Not trying to be a dick, but there's been tons of commentary about laser lights being separate from exec for '22.

You accepted delivery.

Pay the retrofit price (probably $10kish), live with it, or trade the car in and hope you don't get crushed.

My personal opinion would be to just live with it. I agree, the base lights don't look great, but I wouldn't be spending 10 times the cost to retrofit and I likely wouldn't sell the car over it. I simply wouldn't have accepted delivery to begin with.
Doesn't he have a certain amount of time where he can raise hell and refuse/return the car? No experience with that myself but I've heard stories
      08-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Doesn't he have a certain amount of time where he can raise hell and refuse/return the car? No experience with that myself but I've heard stories
If there’s an issue with the car, of course. Those things are covered by warranty. However the failure to include an option and accept delivery of a car has nothing to do with a warranty issue. This is solely on OP at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
If there’s an issue with the car, of course. Those things are covered by warranty. However the failure to include an option and accept delivery of a car has nothing to do with a warranty issue. This is solely on OP at this point.
Why don’t you lighten up a little bit dude- the guys bummed out after a long wait and spending a good chunk of change. I’ll take empathy for $200, Alex.
Appreciate 10
      08-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #13
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Even if you can get them retrofitted, you still have to get them programmed to the car, and the vehicle will likely not have the wiring harnesses to support it. Ive seen used ones for sale, on eBay for like $4,000.
It’s only a $1000 add on when you build it with the car. (S05AZ)
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      08-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
Why don’t you lighten up a little bit dude- the guys bummed out after a long wait and spending a good chunk of change. I’ll take empathy for $200, Alex.
Relax man. I get it; wasn’t being a dick. Just stating reality. Forgot we’re in 2021 and you can’t state facts; gotta tiptoe.

I understand being disappointed but there’s nothing to do at this point other than spend a ton of money. People saying to raise hell with the dealer are ridiculous.

Go be offended elsewhere pal.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3612.50
      08-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys,

Yes, you can retrofit it but it would be at a price point that way exceeds the benefit.

Each headlight housing would run between $4-5,000 from a place like GetBMWparts.com. Then you'll need to get some coding done to get them to work. There is likely some other miscellaneous parts like wiring harnesses and such that you'll need to get.

It sucks and I'd be disappointed as well if this happened to my build but at the end of the day since you already took delivery of the car there isn't much that can be done other than to live with it, foot the bill for a retrofit, or with used car values staying fairly high right now you can order a new car and trade this one in (or sell privately). Hell, ordering a new one and selling the current one you may lose less that way than you would trying to retrofit.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
It’s only a $1000 add on when you build it with the car. (S05AZ)
Correct, thats how I ordered my car. But he already has the car. Therefore, this post applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Yes, you can retrofit it but it would be at a price point that way exceeds the benefit.

Each headlight housing would run between $4-5,000 from a place like GetBMWparts.com. Then you'll need to get some coding done to get them to work. There is likely some other miscellaneous parts like wiring harnesses and such that you'll need to get.

It sucks and I'd be disappointed as well if this happened to my build but at the end of the day since you already took delivery of the car there isn't much that can be done other than to live with it, foot the bill for a retrofit, or with used car values staying fairly high right now you can order a new car and trade this one in (or sell privately). Hell, ordering a new one and selling the current one you may lose less that way than you would trying to retrofit.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #17
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

Isn't the used car market hot right now? Try to sell the car and see if you get almost the same amount back. Even if it's $1k or $2k below what you paid, it's still better than dishing out $10k.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #18
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Good news is Laser Lights are pretty much worthless unless you do a lot of driving on back roads with really long straights. You need to be doing over a certain speed for them to activate and even then modern BMW high beams are so good it doesn't make much of a difference.

Frustrating for sure, but don't let it ruin your experience with the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Relax man. I get it; wasn’t being a dick. Just stating reality. Forgot we’re in 2021 and you can’t state facts; gotta tiptoe.

I understand being disappointed but there’s nothing to do at this point other than spend a ton of money. People saying to raise hell with the dealer are ridiculous.

Go be offended elsewhere pal.
Far from offended pal, its not my car... You on the other hand though
edit: remove brother term and replace w/ "pal"
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #20
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys,

As others have pointed out, now that you've accepted the car you're stuck with it as is.

I would at least wait a while, literally a year or more, before you decide to dump a lot of money into retrofitting it. For one, the prices will come down and some aftermarket outfit will likely come up with a replacement headlight set at some point.

The other is you may just get used to it and it'll pale in comparison to everything else the car has going for it. I'll bet you're not missing out on much performance-wise since these are de-tuned from Euro spec anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #21
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Sell the car and buy another one... I verified my 2022 M4 Comp build sheet several times .....I was told by the SA that Laser Lights ( 5AZ) was a separate option.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
it is separate and you need to be careful, it's under the added options section as seen in the screenshot of my car. Mines still at the NJ port but the PIA now show up like my splitter and door sills
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0