BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

On-demand dash cam record

I remember reading that the car will save somewhere camera footage just prior to accident or prior to airbag deployment or something similar. Anyone know if there is a way to save camera footage on demand manually? Am wondering if there is an easier solution than buying an external dashcam accessory. I find myself spending a lot of time in heavy traffic and worrying one day the guy behind me may zone out and not pay attention to stop in time.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
I remember reading that the car will save somewhere camera footage just prior to accident or prior to airbag deployment or something similar. Anyone know if there is a way to save camera footage on demand manually? Am wondering if there is an easier solution than buying an external dashcam accessory. I find myself spending a lot of time in heavy traffic and worrying one day the guy behind me may zone out and not pay attention to stop in time.
Yes. If you go into iDrive > Apps > Drive Recorder you can configure manual recording by holding down the camera button. Up to 20 seconds prior and 20 seconds after pressing it.
Appreciate 2
dimab0233.50
nathanm4682.00
      07-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Yes. If you go into iDrive > Apps > Drive Recorder you can configure manual recording by holding down the camera button. Up to 20 seconds prior and 20 seconds after pressing it.
Any idea how many of those recordings it will save? Is there a storage limit? Or if you hit it again right after will it record over the previous recording?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Fins1972
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Any idea how many of those recordings it will save? Is there a storage limit? Or if you hit it again right after will it record over the previous recording?
Yes, it stores multiple clips. I have had several stores but cannot tell you the actual limit. You can download the clips as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

These cars should just come with full dash cam functionality. Always recording, with a "look-back" period measured in hours, not tens of seconds.

There is no reason that I should have to buy yet another camera for a car with this many cameras already integrated.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
These cars should just come with full dash cam functionality. Always recording, with a "look-back" period measured in hours, not tens of seconds.

There is no reason that I should have to buy yet another camera for a car with this many cameras already integrated.
Agree, I imagine this is something that could be coded or updated via software very easily.

Especially the only 20 second look back. Odds are if something happens that you do want to capture, you're not going to remember to do it less than 20 seconds later.

They should also allow for it to save a recording from the car being parked for as long as a battery saver cutoff would allow.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Quote:

Agree, I imagine this is something that could be coded or updated via software very easily.

Especially the only 20 second look back. Odds are if something happens that you do want to capture, you're not going to remember to do it less than 20 seconds later.

They should also allow for it to save a recording from the car being parked for as long as a battery saver cutoff would allow.
I agree. 5 minutes before should be the minimum

///M
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Is this recorder an option on the build or does it come default? I don't recall having such an option when I was buildling the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
ashokgogs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GLS 580, Audi S4, BMW M3, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
Is this recorder an option on the build or does it come default? I don't recall having such an option when I was buildling the car.
It’s part of the Parking Assistance Pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #10
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

A Tesla-style sentry mode would be nice, but just about any modern dash cam has this feature at much higher quality than what the BMW parking cameras offer. Especially at night.

I think Drive Recorder is a nice backup, but anyone serious about parking monitoring or a better driving recording system would spring for a dash cam anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #11
LivinLrge
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M4 Comp  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Maybe I misunderstood the function of it but, I thought it does continuously record?
      07-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #12
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
You can press/hold the camera button on the center console for 3-4 seconds to record without going into the settings.
Appreciate 2
nathanm4682.00
USMC_Sam179.50
      07-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #13
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinLrge View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the function of it but, I thought it does continuously record?
It does but doesn't automatically save unless there's an accident. Manual saving is only 20 seconds in either direction. It does not seem to have a parking recording function.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #14
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A Tesla-style sentry mode would be nice, but just about any modern dash cam has this feature at much higher quality than what the BMW parking cameras offer. Especially at night.

I think Drive Recorder is a nice backup, but anyone serious about parking monitoring or a better driving recording system would spring for a dash cam anyways.
It's more a matter that all the hardware is in there to provide the functions, they're just restricting it through software choices, which is very annoying. By LCI or in another generation they'll finally add in what others are already doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #15
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
You can press/hold the camera button on the center console for 3-4 seconds to record without going into the settings.
If you've gone into the disclaimer and checked the box.

This was disabled by default on my car, and was re-disabled after the software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It's more a matter that all the hardware is in there to provide the functions, they're just restricting it through software choices, which is very annoying. By LCI or in another generation they'll finally add in what others are already doing.
Enabling full time recording would be a nice feature, sure - But I would argue that the cameras used by BMW for the park assist functions pale in comparison to the quality of even a $60 1080p or 4K dash cam. Even with JUST the front camera recording, its very difficult to make out plates and almost worthless at night. Once you turn on the rear and side cameras most of the detail goes away.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #17
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Enabling full time recording would be a nice feature, sure - But I would argue that the cameras used by BMW for the park assist functions pale in comparison to the quality of even a $60 1080p or 4K dash cam. Even with JUST the front camera recording, its very difficult to make out plates and almost worthless at night. Once you turn on the rear and side cameras most of the detail goes away.
My guess is they'd improve the cameras and increase internal storage and possibly incorporate a separate power reserve if they got serious about this feature. As you suggest, the cost to do so isn't extreme, and they could probably charge $1500 for it (or $2k + subscription for cloud storage and remote surveillance).

With M Laptimer and the Drift Analyzer, it can be more than a security feature, and even be helpful to marketing (imagine 3-tap upload to your YouTube/social media spaces, complete with brand logo and telemetry). I'm checking the box if it they ever come through.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #18
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

02M3ForMe,jonahk,...... Just my $00,2cents. I'll buy a good GoPro type
recording device for my M4 Comp prior to its arrival. I'm nervous leaving the car at a shop( southern California) for PPF/ceramic coating overnight for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a good camera to record the interior /exterior of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Are there any that are inconspicuous? I just searched for some and they are all fairly big and obtrusive, definitely an eyesore.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Wasn't there a BMW eye cam 2.0 or some hideous name that was an add on dash cam ?
The name just escapes me.

Edit: "BMW advanced car eye" is the name

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...ED-CAR-EYE-2-0

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:50 PM   #21
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Quote:
Are there any that are inconspicuous? I just searched for some and they are all fairly big and obtrusive, definitely an eyesore.
I've had blackvue cameras on my last two cars and have one on order for the G80. They can tuck behind the mirror and you'll only see it if you're looking for it. Definitely prefer the "tube" style cams vs the square ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:58 PM   #22
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
02M3ForMe,jonahk,...... Just my $00,2cents. I'll buy a good GoPro type
recording device for my M4 Comp prior to its arrival. I'm nervous leaving the car at a shop( southern California) for PPF/ceramic coating overnight for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a good camera to record the interior /exterior of the car.
In my experience gopros don't make all that great of sentry camera. They are power hungry, don't have options to only record on motion (which eats up unnecessary storage) and will stop recording if the card fills up. Plus they are super obvious and easy for someone to just unplug.

If you are really worried about your detailer driving your car Id highly recommend taking a picture of your odometer and make sure the shop owner signs off on it. Second, you can use the mybmw app to note mileage throughout the process.

But honestly if you don't trust your detailer you should go someplace else.

HTH
Appreciate 0