Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Plant SLP Celebrates G42 2-Series SOP

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
Born in Mexico! The first unit of the new BMW 2 Series Coupé is produced in San Luis Potosí

• The BMW Group Plant in San Luis Potosí successfully starts the production of the new model. • The all-new BMW 2 Series Coupé will be produced exclusively in Mexico for the global market. • The Potosina Plant made an additional investment of $ 125 million dollars.

BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant started production of the new BMW 2 Series Coupé. The new and powerful compact sports coupe is the brand's first launch made and fully integrated into production in Mexico.

The San Luis Potosí Plant is the newest within the company's global production network. From its design and construction, it was conceived to easily adapt to the production of different models. Just two years from the start of production at the Plant, the Plant has expanded its operation to include the manufacture of plug-in hybrid vehicles and has expanded distribution to reach global markets. With an additional investment of $ 125 million dollars, the Plant's infrastructure was expanded to incorporate this second model to the production line.

Harald Gottsche, President and CEO of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant commented: “Two years after the start of operations, our Plant integrates a new model to its production line. This has been possible thanks to the great talent of the team in San Luis Potosí. We are proud to be able to produce this vehicle exclusively in Mexico for the global market. With the new BMW 2 Series Coupé we will show the enormous capacity that this country has, I am convinced that this will be the first of many other successful launches ”.

Milan Nedeljkovic, Member of the Board of BMW AG, responsible for production, said: “BMW Group Plant San Luis Potosí is based on the experience and best practices of the Global Production Network. As the newest Plant in the network, it benefits from the most advanced and highly efficient technological innovations, which also contribute to the Plant becoming one of the company's most sustainable production sites. Thanks to its flexible production system and its highly qualified team, we can take Premium vehicles from Mexico to the whole world ”.

Born in Mexico for the global market

The new BMW 2 Series Coupé is a vehicle with a focus on dynamic excellence. Its athletic and sophisticated exterior design was conceived by José Casas, a Mexican who is currently a Senior Exterior Designer for the BMW Group in Munich.

Once the design was completed, the BMW Group Development department in Germany began collaboration with the Production Planning area in San Luis Potosí to prepare for the launch of the new model in Mexico. At the local level, the Complete Vehicle and Plant Quality area was in charge of integrating this vehicle into the production process. The planning teams from the Body, Paint and Assembly areas were involved from the early stages of preparation. All these efforts are crowned today with the departure of the first unit from the production line.

The Purchasing area also played a fundamental role from the beginning of the project, in charge of the selection, development and industrialization of local, regional and global suppliers. It was not an easy job, as the BMW 2 Series Coupé includes approximately 4,000 individual parts, many of which are specific to this model. Additionally, 75% of these parts come from suppliers established in Mexico.

Direct investment and adaptations in the Plant

Part of the additional investment was used to expand the existing facilities of the Plant and to purchase the additional equipment necessary to build the new model. This included the acquisition of 82 new robots in the Bodywork area, while the existing robots received new programming to be able to handle parts with different geometry, as well as to weld, rivet and screw them, forming an intelligent mix of materials (steel, steel from high strength and aluminum) resulting in a lightweight and highly rigid body that meets the demands of safety, sporty handling and efficiency expected by the brand's customers.

Together with the Materials Analysis team, the Paint area participated in the launch of two new specific colors for the BMW 2 Series Coupé; Brooklyn Gray and Thundernight Metallic. The second is a new color for the BMW Group and is exclusive to the San Luis Potosí Plant.

Finally, a part of the investment was used to train and qualify the personnel of the assembly area, to work with the shortest wheelbase of the two-door body, which requires new processes that complement those already existing in the line of production.

The BMW 2 Series Coupé has been successfully tested on the Plant's test track and on local race tracks, as well as on roads and highways in San Luis Potosí. The data collected by the Mexican team was integrated into the global validation process, which includes tests in extreme winter climates in Arjeplog, Sweden, as well as in the sweltering heat of Death Valley in California. Vehicle validation also includes high-performance test drives at the Nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring, Germany, or at the BMW test center in Miramas, France.

The company has announced the start of sales for this model in late 2021 in North America and early 2022 in Europe.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/mexic...is-potos%C3%AD

Name:  P90434696-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  467.1 KB

Name:  P90434694-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  562.9 KB

Name:  P90434695-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  469.5 KB

Name:  P90434698-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  535.4 KB

Name:  P90434449-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  482.0 KB

Name:  P90434699-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  617.0 KB

Name:  P90434700-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  338.5 KB

Name:  P90434692-lowRes.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  612.2 KB

Link to Facebook Event Video:
https://fb.watch/7N2fN2zfVd/

Name:  casas.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  84.8 KB
Quote:
Meet José Casas, the Mexican who designed the new BMW that will be manufactured in our country

Rarely does a person design a car that will be made in their native country. This is the story of José Casas, the BMW designer responsible for the new 2 Series Coupé to be manufactured in San Luis Potosí.

"Sometimes you don't believe in destiny, but in situations like this, it's undeniable." With that phrase, José Casas, a Mexican designer who works for BMW in Germany, welcomes us in the interview that we will carry out with him. In this space, we wanted to talk to him beyond the design of the car in question; We point to his career, his passion, his desires and inspiration over the years.

The Mexican has worked on projects such as the BMW Vision MNext or updates to models such as the X3 and X4. However, it is the first model that his team wins to design in a new generation. Interestingly, this Series 2 Coupé will be manufactured in José's native country: Mexico.

We interviewed José Casas to tell us a little more about him, his career and what he feels as a Mexican when designing a car that will be manufactured in our country. Casas, who is at BMW's headquarters in Germany, detailed how he got to where he is today, anticipating that the road is not easy, but it is worth it. The compatriot made the Forbes list of the most creative Mexicans in 2019.

Would you tell us about your journey to get to BMW?

"Since I was a child I liked to draw, I grew up in a family of architects where, what there was to play with, were colors and blank sheets," says José Casas with an expression on his face that lets us see a love for that time of his life . “I remember that I was always the friend who drew everything everywhere, and I think that helped me in many ways,” adds the Mexican designer .

“My career begins at Tec de Monterrey, where I started studying industrial design. I finished my studies and began to put together a portfolio, the same with which they give me a scholarship at the Detroit College of Creative Studios, ”says José Casas. “When I got to the international program, I realized that everyone else was much better prepared than me. It is a moment when you either throw in the towel, or you take the challenge in the best way and you give everything you have. "

“I remember very well how they told me in Detroit that I didn't have enough talent to develop cars, to dedicate myself to other things,” says José, looking back at one of the most difficult moments in his career.

However, the Mexican took that comment as a challenge and participated in a Ferrari program. To the surprise of those who belittled his career, José was selected as one of the winners and entered as an intern at Pininfarina, one of the most important design houses in the automotive industry.

“From there, my story has been writing itself, with a lot of work and dedication. I took courses with Honda in Japan, I worked with Torino Design and finally BMW Design Work contacted me to work with them, ”says Jose.

José Casas remembers that, when he arrived in the German ranks, he thought he would start designing cars immediately, but the reality was different. “They made me draw everything from glasses to vacuum cleaners, at BMW Design Work they wanted to polish the designers and then take the big leap,” says José with a laugh, as he remembers that moment with joy.

“After time and with a lot of work and insistence on my part to the directors of the program, I began to design some elements of future BMW concepts. And here we are now, with my team winning the design of the new 2 Series Coupé , ”Casas concludes, referring to his career.

What is the design process like and what is the hardest part?

“First a bottle of tequila for inspiration and things keep coming,” says José Casas jokingly, provoking a laugh in the virtual conference. Returning to the seriousness of the interview, the Mexican designer assures that there is no "process to follow" but that it is simply a matter of inspiration that can be found even in the most banal things.

“Inspiration can come to you staring at coffee in the morning, or walking in the park, not always in your design studio. As a creative, you must give yourself your own time to let ideas flow, ”says José.

“Of course, everything goes in stages and you have to comply with the times, and each one of them has its own joke. The free sketch is the best, because you let your ideas fly, but the reality is when you get closer to the final product ”adds José, demonstrating that not the whole process is honey on flakes.

“I think the really complicated thing is solving the problems that the engineering department shares with us. You have to respect the model, but propose new elements that are 100 percent possible in a production vehicle. "

According to José Casas, much of the new Series 2 Coupé was inspired by contemporary architecture, as the two go hand in hand with design trends.

What advice would you give to young people who want to dedicate themselves to the world of cars?

“Fight for it, if it's what you really want, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it ,” José specifically mentions when asked. The Aztec blood designer makes it clear to us in the final question that the road will not be easy, but it will be full of satisfactions.

“There is something very important that I have to mention. If as a designer you think that your creation is the best, you are wrong. There will always be opportunities for improvement in everything we do, and that is what will open or close doors for you on the road to car design, ”says José Casas.

Finally, José recommends to all those who are looking for a place in automotive design, not to stop practicing their way of drawing. "You have to be drawing 24/7 to improve, as well as not stop looking for new designs of whatever, because that sets the global trend," adds the Mexican.

“Stay humble about everything you do, and don't seek immediate recognition. If your work is good, it alone will put you where you should be, ”José ends.

We say goodbye thanking the time, words and advice for the new generations of designers looking for a place in the industry. The promise with José of that “inspiring tequila” holds, whether in Mexico or Germany, whichever comes first.
https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/autop...n-nuestro-pais

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 09-02-2021 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
SW192441.50
MPSdriver192.00
      08-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

This part of the article sounds encouraging that the M2 might actually only be manufactured in Germany after all.

The expert also ruled out that in the short term the M Series 2 model will be manufactured in San Luis Potosí, since it is more luxurious and requires different production lines, since it has different motorization, suspension, clothing, paint and design. , so it is manufactured in its plants in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
This part of the article sounds encouraging that the M2 might actually only be manufactured in Germany after all.

The expert also ruled out that in the short term the M Series 2 model will be manufactured in San Luis Potosí, since it is more luxurious and requires different production lines, since it has different motorization, suspension, clothing, paint and design. , so it is manufactured in its plants in Germany.
The F87 also fits that description. "[T]he executive ... said that the BMW Group does not provide future details about the uses of the manufacturing capacity of any of its plants" sounds like too soon to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Quote:
NO PLANS FOR M2
Regarding the possibility that the sporty and high-end model, M2, will also be produced at the San Luis Potosí plant, the executive of the Teutonic firm in Mexico said that the BMW Group does not provide future details about the uses of the manufacturing capacity of any of its plants.
At the moment, the San Luis Potosí Plant has been producing the BMW 3 Series for the global market since 2019 and will begin production of the BMW 2 Series Coupé later this summer. In the event that an additional issue impacts our operations, it will be communicated in due course, she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
The F87 also fits that description. "[T]he executive ... said that the BMW Group does not provide future details about the uses of the manufacturing capacity of any of its plants" sounds like too soon to say.
In Autumn 2019 BMW has sent G87 M2 production lines to the BMW San Luis Potosí plant (Mexico) (see the dedicated thread here).

Unfathomable that BMW changed its mind in the meantime and shipped those production lines back to Europe.

Except for a hypercane wiping Mexico from the face of the planet, the USA-spec G87 M2 is expected to be built at the state-of-the-art BMW San Luis Potosí plant from December 2022 onwards.

"BMW G87" = the second generation BMW M2:

(source: see the dedicated thread here)

08-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In Autumn 2019 BMW has sent G87 M2 production lines to the BMW San Luis Potosí plant (Mexico) (see the dedicated thread here).

Unfathomable that BMW changed its mind in the meantime and shipped those production lines back to Europe.

Except for a hypercane wiping Mexico from the face of the planet, the USA-spec G87 M2 is expected to be built at the state-of-the-art BMW San Luis Potosí plant from December 2022 onwards.
Interesting.Maybe there is a chance that G87 production will be done in Germany and Mexico just like the G20 M340i for the North American market.It would be nice to see some official documents like you just posted showing that there will be G42 and G87 production being done at Leipzig for Europe.ynguldyn just posted again today that he still can only confirm production being done for the G87 in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Also the video in this thread. Seems to be grinning and excited about the G87 when talking about 2022. https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1698838
Appreciate 1
MPSdriver192.00
      08-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #7
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

I will be happy to make large amount bets with anyone willing to take the other side that G87 production will start in 2022 at the SLP plant exactly as stated in my main thread.

The evidence for that is now out in the public and can be confirmed simply by googling.

(No, I'm not telling you the exact search query. And if you figure it out please don't explain what you did because the people unwittingly leaking it don't deserve to be punished by their employers.)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

I've just checked - SLP has been building HEA G42s since at least mid-July.
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6234.00
MPSdriver192.00
      08-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #9
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I will be happy to make large amount bets with anyone willing to take the other side that G87 production will start in 2022 at the SLP plant exactly as stated in my main thread.

The evidence for that is now out in the public and can be confirmed simply by googling.

(No, I'm not telling you the exact search query. And if you figure it out please don't explain what you did because the people unwittingly leaking it don't deserve to be punished by their employers.)
I tend to agree with your assessment sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Could we get a new forum under 2-series for the 2022+ G42 coupe?
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6234.00
yanks1484.00
      08-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Could we get a new forum under 2-series for the 2022+ G42 coupe?
Yes, that'd would make total sense with this new G42s
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #12
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Now hopefully production doesn't stop due to the chip shortages….
Appreciate 0