G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums UK

06-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

M3 running costs

Hello,

I am potentially in a position to get the new M3, due largely in part to BMW armed forces scheme and lots of equity from my current car.

I currently have a g20 320D xdrive and I was considering upgrading to the M340i, however due to the equity and incentives, the M3 would cost about £100 pm more than the M340i.

As you can see its tempting but I have never owned or driven a performance car. I would expect the general running costs for the M3 to be more.

Can anyone give me a idea of running costs if they own a M3? Is the servicing more frequent and much more than a non M model? Do you burn through tyres more often due to the sheer power transfer? I am under the understanding that the range of a full tank is about 250 miles but this will be dependent on driving style.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 04:44 AM   #2
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
The armed forces discount is great, I initially ordered a G80 through them but then when I got told December for delivery I pulled out (ordered from a different dealer for September delivery / similar discount). As far as I know they are now quoting Q1 2022, and the offer is only valid till end of June so you will need to be quick!

As for your questions, I can only speak about the previous generation of M3/M4's:

The initial run in service costed me about £300 (which is something you need to get done at 1200 mile mark). My first service (the oil + filter change) was about £375. The second service consists of brake fluid change as well as oil + filter change, it's a bit more expensive at £500 (never had to get this done as it was due at the 3 year mark and I sold before then).

I only had to change my rear tyres once and that cost me £220 per tyre (you want to go for Michelin PS4S tyres) at around the 12000 miles mark (that is on a RWD, be interesting to see how much slower the AWD on the new G8X wears out tyres)

Fuel wise, it just depends on your driving style like you said, sometimes I could get 320 miles out of a tank, other times 190/200 miles...

In the end yes this car will be a bit on the pricey side in terms of maintenance/running costs but worth it IMO!

Good luck
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #3
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
The armed forces discount is great, I initially ordered a G80 through them but then when I got told December for delivery I pulled out (ordered from a different dealer for September delivery / similar discount). As far as I know they are now quoting Q1 2022, and the offer is only valid till end of June so you will need to be quick!

As for your questions, I can only speak about the previous generation of M3/M4's:

The initial run in service costed me about £300 (which is something you need to get done at 1200 mile mark). My first service (the oil + filter change) was about £375. The second service consists of brake fluid change as well as oil + filter change, it's a bit more expensive at £500 (never had to get this done as it was due at the 3 year mark and I sold before then).

I only had to change my rear tyres once and that cost me £220 per tyre (you want to go for Michelin PS4S tyres) at around the 12000 miles mark (that is on a RWD, be interesting to see how much slower the AWD on the new G8X wears out tyres)

Fuel wise, it just depends on your driving style like you said, sometimes I could get 320 miles out of a tank, other times 190/200 miles...

In the end yes this car will be a bit on the pricey side in terms of maintenance/running costs but worth it IMO!

Good luck
Thanks for your reply, its exactly what I wanted to hear.

I had had a tremendous initial offer on my G20, even making a profit on my purchase price. Coupled with the forces discount and the equity on the G20, the M3 drops from £799pm to about £392 over 5 years or £485 over 4 years pcp.

I have never been a petrolhead and drive normally (most of the time) but I have had a track day. So I'm not sure if the M3 is just too much of a jump, either that or the M340i/M440i. The M3 is just a damn nice looking car though!

I see your also in Glasgow, what was the other dealer you used with a similar discount?

When you initially went with the forces discount, did they budge on the price or rate? I appreciate its a great deal that they already give but if there's room to move then even better.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

£400 a month? No brainer. Do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:11 AM   #5
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1985 View Post
Thanks for your reply, its exactly what I wanted to hear.

I had had a tremendous initial offer on my G20, even making a profit on my purchase price. Coupled with the forces discount and the equity on the G20, the M3 drops from £799pm to about £392 over 5 years or £485 over 4 years pcp.

I have never been a petrolhead and drive normally (most of the time) but I have had a track day. So I'm not sure if the M3 is just too much of a jump, either that or the M340i/M440i. The M3 is just a damn nice looking car though!

I see your also in Glasgow, what was the other dealer you used with a similar discount?

When you initially went with the forces discount, did they budge on the price or rate? I appreciate its a great deal that they already give but if there's room to move then even better.

Thanks
I will PM you. Nope they will not give any additional discount sadly.

That must be a hefty deposit to reduce it to that much, but if it's all coming from the positive equity on your G20 then it does seem like a no brainer.

The M3 is a very special car, and worth the premium over the M340i with the discount IMO!
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

It's important to remember that your payment is low because of the equity in the prior car. You are in fact spending that money on the M3. It's not free money because you could cash out that equity for cash alternatively.

I still say do it if you can afford that payment, the car is outrageous.

I will warn you this car is very thirsty though. Not sure how much of an issue that is for you but it drinks it pretty bad when you have a heavy foot.

Tires will be expensive too but unless your doing burn outs they should last 10k miles easy under normal use.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
I don't have the M3 but the X3M with the S58, currently debating on going M3 touring when it's launched.

Running costs so far:

New rear tyres at 6k
New fronts at 10k (car is on 10k atm)
Running in service, £410 with discount.
Service pack £35pcm
20mpg average over 2k

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0