BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

VIR visit with MVP

Short recap from VIR yesterday.

Weather 88F, sunny and slight breeze.
Event organized by MVP, shoutout to Mark and his team, the corner workers, and safety crew on a hot muggy day,keeping us safe and in check.

Car had 2000miles when I got there and just had break in service performed two weeks ago.

Competition, with steel brakes, stock pads, stock tires.

I'm a fairly experienced driver with 40+ track days including Spa-Francorchamps, the Ring, the Glen, and most tracks on the east coast. I also participate on iRacing weekly. So I'm not the Stig, but I have logged a few laps.

My time at VIR with the F82 non competition with CCB brakes and stock tires was mostly in 2:18's and best was 2:17.40 over two days in very similar weather conditions.

Let me start off by saying that I'm one of the guys that didn't like the design (still not my favorite, but the davit Grey hides the grill well) and wasn't sure if I will get the g82. Until I drove it.
During the test drive there was a noticeable difference with handling. With the 275 front and 285 setup, the turn in is much better, not overwhelming under steer.

This absolutely translates to the track as well. Great turn in, loads of grip corner entry. Neutral balance mid corner, predictable throttle oversteer, insane speed on the straights and even with steel brakes there was no fade. I did wear down the pads to 3mm in the front by last session, and the sensors signaled brake pad service.
Braking points on the front straight was the 5 marker at 151mph, on the back straight midway between 3-4 at 154mph.

Best time was 2:12.40. Rest mostly in the high 12's, low 13's.
That's a 5 sec delta and I don't think my driving improved that much since my last visit, lol.

(Waiting for track photos, will post a couple when i get them)

See you all trackside.

Tszene
Appreciate 16
bri10425937.00
akkando5864.50
mzcp2685.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
Scorp!on1511.50
2011ninja3396.00
golovko379.00
heavyD^23688.50
bwoodahl235.00
solstice5456.50
      07-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post

Event organized by MVP, shoutout to Mark and his team, the corner workers, and safety crew on a hot muggy day,keeping us safe and in check.

Car had 2000miles when I got there and just had break in service performed two weeks ago.

I'm a fairly experienced driver with 40+ track days including Spa-Francorchamps, the Ring, the Glen, and most tracks on the east coast. I also participate on iRacing weekly. So I'm not the Stig, but I have logged a few laps.

My time at VIR with the F82 non competition with CCB brakes and stock tires was mostly in 2:18's and best was 2:17.40 over two days in very similar weather conditions.

Let me start off by saying that I'm one of the guys that didn't like the design (still not my favorite, but the davit Grey hides the grill well) and wasn't sure if I will get the g82. Until I drove it.
During the test drive there was a noticeable difference with handling. With the 275 front and 285 setup, the turn in is much better, not overwhelming under steer.

This absolutely translates to the track as well. Great turn in, loads of grip corner entry. Neutral balance mid corner, predictable throttle oversteer, insane speed on the straights and even with steel brakes there was no fade. I did wear down the pads to 3mm in the front by last session, and the sensors signaled brake pad service.
Braking points on the front straight was the 5 marker at 151mph, on the back straight midway between 3-4 at 154mph.

That's a 5 sec delta and I don't think my driving improved that much since my last visit, lol.

See you all trackside.

Tszene
Nice write up thanks. May be taking mine to Road America stock in mid October with MVP. Supposed to get my M3 in August. Coming from a 2020 Camaro ZL1 but once owned an E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodyne88 View Post
Quote:

See you all trackside.

Tszene
Nice write up thanks. May be taking mine to Road America stock in mid October with MVP. Supposed to get my M3 in August. Coming from a 2020 Camaro ZL1 but once owned an E92 M3.
Keep us posted! I love that track. Only drove it in iRacing, a bit of a hike from Philly
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Mrspeed636
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340GT, G80 Comp AWD - SOON!

I have been eager to hear of people's experience at VIR with the new G8X. My M3 Comp AWD just arrived at port, hoping I get it in time to have it broken in for 2 days at VIR in November.

Looking forward to seeing pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Is this a shorter version of VIR? I'm looking at Car and Driver Lightning Lap times and that seems to be longer since a Senna runs 2:34. Lol

I totally agree on the G platform's track performance! I recently had my first track day at Pacific Raceways here in WA and the car was absolutely mighty!
I previously tracked a relatively highly modded M2C (Stage 2; Coilovers; Camber plates; LCA mono balls; 275/295 tires) and it was amazing how much more competent the G82C was even while being conservative first time at the track.
      07-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Is this a shorter version of VIR? I'm looking at Car and Driver Lightning Lap times and that seems to be longer since a Senna runs 2:34. Lol

I totally agree on the G platform's track performance! I recently had my first track day at Pacific Raceways here in WA and the car was absolutely mighty!
I previously tracked a relatively highly modded M2C (Stage 2; Coilovers; Camber plates; LCA mono balls; 275/295 tires) and it was amazing how much more competent the G82C was even while being conservative first time at the track.
It was the full course. I think you are referring to the grand course configuration which is almost a mile longer.

https://virnow.com/track/configurations/
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:

See you all trackside.

Tszene
That rolling along really good... I averaged 140 - 148 and #4 braking.... average was out of 9 sessions. Looking into a setup of wheels and tires just for the track. BBS said won't have a wheels set / solution until spring 2022.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:

See you all trackside.

Tszene
I very much appreciate your post. Every bit of info gleaned about how these cars perform on the track is valuable to all of us track drivers at this very early stage of the cars existence. There is one particular statement that you made that caught my eye however because it is completely opposite to my experience over my first 3 track days with my car, and has me scratching my head. Please believe me that I am not being critical, or a smart ass here. It is just so different from my experience that I have to ask. You state that your front pads were worn down to 3mm after 2 days on track. Are you sure it is your front pads at 3mm, and could you tell us the thickness of the rears as well?

My experience: 3 track days of between 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours on track each. DSC MDM and TC off. OEM pads are 12mm thick when new. After the 3 days my fronts are still at 6mm (light wear for street pads), and are good for at least 1, and probably 2 more days. My rears on the other hand have been worn down to 2-3mm at the end of each day, making a second day impossible. New rears are necessary for each day. The car seems to have a heavy rear brake bias, and I have seen a couple of other posts on the forums with similar results to mine. Light front wear, and heavy rear wear. Your experience is the first I have seen to the contrary, so like I said, I am scratching my head. Just trying to figure things out.
      08-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Quote:

See you all trackside.

Tszene
I very much appreciate your post. Every bit of info gleaned about how these cars perform on the track is valuable to all of us track drivers at this very early stage of the cars existence. There is one particular statement that you made that caught my eye however because it is completely opposite to my experience over my first 3 track days with my car, and has me scratching my head. Please believe me that I am not being critical, or a smart ass here. It is just so different from my experience that I have to ask. You state that your front pads were worn down to 3mm after 2 days on track. Are you sure it is your front pads at 3mm, and could you tell us the thickness of the rears as well?

My experience: 3 track days of between 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours on track each. DSC MDM and TC off. OEM pads are 12mm thick when new. After the 3 days my fronts are still at 6mm (light wear for street pads), and are good for at least 1, and probably 2 more days. My rears on the other hand have been worn down to 2-3mm at the end of each day, making a second day impossible. New rears are necessary for each day. The car seems to have a heavy rear brake bias, and I have seen a couple of other posts on the forums with similar results to mine. Light front wear, and heavy rear wear. Your experience is the first I have seen to the contrary, so like I said, I am scratching my head. Just trying to figure things out.
Thanks for the clarifying questions.

To start, it was one day only with 5x30 min sessions.

I didn't actually take the pads out, just eyeballed it, sorry it that was misleading.

I also just automatically assumed the fronts signaled the pad wear, didn't look at the tears until I read your response. I never had a car with higher rear wear then the front. I guess there is always a first time.
Once I went into the Notification Center, it showed that it's the rear sensors asking for a replacement.

Attached both images in case it's helpful to anyone.

Track photos are here, will attached a few of those too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dimab0233.50
      08-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Second photo is the rear.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      08-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are the shots
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dimab0233.50
      08-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Quote:
Here are the shots
Porsche giving the point-by seems like a nice one to frame. Car looks very clean and shiny!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I never had a car with higher rear wear then the front. I guess there is always a first time.
Once I went into the Notification Center, it showed that it's the rear sensors asking for a replacement.
Rear pads wearing quicker could be DSC or MDM kicking in for stability. Also, the front brake ducts are pretty effective for cooling, even with the covers on.

DSC/MDM combined with higher temperatures for the rear brakes could explain it, but that's pretty high wear. I'd imagine the tires would be shot before the pads wear out.

I did 3 days in 100F temps with open lapping on the first day and didn't see that much wear.

Edit: Nevermind, I looked at my rear pads and they’re fu**ed. What’s the part number on those?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ximian; 08-03-2021 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #14
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I did VIR recently in my camaro SS 1LE with Chin ... that's my new favorite and i've been lucky enough to visit quite a few epic tracks coast-to-coast in the US. the track itself but also the surrounding grounds and on-site lodging is great, especially since i normally bring my wife & kids along. i gotta hit europe sometime, you lucky dog.

151 is fast. my camaro would hit 142 but that is top of 4th gear so it probably had a couple mph left in it but not that much.

sounds like the G8x will be a perfectly adequate track car with some more robust pads and some R comp tires. I'm seriously considering one as my "track car" (i do about 5 weekends/year) ... cross shopping 992 GT3, 718 GT4 and C8 Z06 different animals, i know but i don't follow normal cross-shopping rules. the M3 seems like it'll be the easiest to get ahold of sometime in the next year ...

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

oh and have you run with HOD or Chin? if so, how does MVP compare in organization, safety, track time, overall experience?

i'm doing Pitt Race in Sept with Chin and WGlen in Oct with HOD .. hoping to see some G8xs out there.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #16
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
Quote:
Here are the shots
Porsche giving the point-by seems like a nice one to frame. Car looks very clean and shiny!
Ha! I was actually passing gt3's!
That is only a cayman, hahaha.
Three cars I couldn't pass:
1.) m4 gts with slicks and more aero than original plus upgraded suspension. Kevin was obviously on a different budget than me, lol

2.) e92 m3 with slicks and gutted plus engine work as he would accelerate at the same rate as I did on straights

3.) M2 competition with slicks and brake upgrade.

Passed:
Gt3's
Older 911 turbo
Zl1
That is worth mentioning.

Also, I ran with chin before, solid group. This had 30 min more time.
Ultimate track day was:
RSR at Spa-Francorchamps Belgium with my F82 m4. 8 hours open track in 2018.
See photos, 😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #17
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarifying questions.

To start, it was one day only with 5x30 min sessions.

I didn't actually take the pads out, just eyeballed it, sorry it that was misleading.

I also just automatically assumed the fronts signaled the pad wear, didn't look at the tears until I read your response. I never had a car with higher rear wear then the front. I guess there is always a first time.

Attached both images in case it's helpful to anyone.

Track photos are here, will attached a few of those too.
Thanks for responding. It is a bit difficult to accurately tell remaining pad thickness from the pics, but I would say the rears are at about 2-3mm and will not give you a second track day. This is the same thing that I and others have been experiencing with these cars. Much greater rear wear than the front, and necessitating ongoing and very expensive purchases of rear pads from BMW (the only source for these pads at the moment). I drive with DSC; MDM; and TC turned off, and this heavy wear still occurs. At first I thought that something might be wrong with the braking system on my particular car, but with time and more info from others I am beginning to believe that this is how BMW intended it to be. I suppose that it is possible that the braking balance on these cars was miscalibrated in production, but that's probably a long shot. Either way, I sure would like to know for certain.

Eyeballing my pad wear was OK in the past because of different car; calipers; and wheels making it easier to see them. Plus I had several years of experience with the same pads, and knew them well. On this car it is very difficult to see them clearly, and a good "brake lining gauge" is essential in my opinion. I use one made by Lisle ($13-20) which can be used from both straight on, and from the side. With these wheels this feature makes life much easier.
      08-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Usually such heavy rear wear is from electronic stability/traction systems. They can ruin rotors too if not careful. But Boomer claims to be running all systems off and still getting more rear wear than front... which is really surprising.

How much are bmw charging for pads?
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #19
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Front : $179 + @ $25 shipping
Rear : $386 + @ $25 shipping

Rears are good for 1 track day only. Fronts are good for 5 track days. Go figure.
      08-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #20
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ultimate track day was:
RSR at Spa-Francorchamps Belgium with my F82 m4. 8 hours open track in 2018.
See photos, 😉
my #1 bucket list track that I still have left. the Nuvaring (as my wife jokingly calls it) is on the list but Spa seems more interesting to me... probably because the 'ring seems impossible to get comfortable with in a short period of time.

great photos!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #21
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Rears are good for 1 track day only. Fronts are good for 5 track days. Go figure.
bizarre.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #22
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

From where and what are the parts numbers?
Appreciate 0