BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
mikey82
Rep
Drives: G82

Remote engine start available on connected drive store

Didn't get the exec pack, as I got the laser lights by default. Really wanted the remote engine start, and can finally activate it now! For $330, putting it out there in case anyone wanted to get it.
Appreciate 4
      07-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey82 View Post
Didn't get the exec pack, as I got the laser lights by default. Really wanted the remote engine start, and can finally activate it now! For $330, putting it out there in case anyone wanted to get it.
Uh oh, it begins! I've been reading articles about BMW going the same route as video game designers and Tesla. Essentially they can cut costs on their production lines by loading cars with almost every available option, but you can only "unlock" them if you pay a fee.

On the one hand, this could be great. An owner could add a feature down the line that wasn't originally spec'd, like you're able to do now. On the other, the next most logical step from the manufacturer profit angle is to make these options available by an indefinite yearly "subscription" instead of one and done. Or making the options non-transferable between owners (like BMW has already show it's willing to do with warranties).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
gee.eighty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp (On Order)

Thanks for the heads up, I really wanted the Executive Package for 2 things - Laser Lights and Remote Start. Sounds like I can get these standalone and save a little $$ in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #4
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Uh oh, it begins! I've been reading articles about BMW going the same route as video game designers and Tesla. Essentially they can cut costs on their production lines by loading cars with almost every available option, but you can only "unlock" them if you pay a fee.

On the one hand, this could be great. An owner could add a feature down the line that wasn't originally spec'd, like you're able to do now. On the other, the next most logical step from the manufacturer profit angle is to make these options available by an indefinite yearly "subscription" instead of one and done. Or making the options non-transferable between owners (like BMW has already show it's willing to do with warranties).
Wish we could turn on the heads up display this way. Only two good things in the executive package, remote start and HUD. The rest I can live without, seems like a gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Remote start is a bit different if it needs a data connection. Volvo's On-Call which we used only for remote start was nearly $200 per year. $330 on-time fee is a relative bargain.
      07-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Remote start is a bit different if it needs a data connection. Volvo's On-Call which we used only for remote start was nearly $200 per year. $330 on-time fee is a relative bargain.
I don't imagine remote start to work without an active ConnectedDrive subscription. It'll be $150 per year after the first 4 years (or whatever the price then is).
      07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
I don't imagine remote start to work without an active ConnectedDrive subscription. It'll be $150 per year after the first 4 years (or whatever the price then is).
There seem to be two types of ConnectedDrive subscriptions. The first is until a certain date that you'd pay for monthly or year and the other is "As long as technically capable" referring to the car's data connection to a network. I'm assuming remote engine start would fall under "As long as technically capable," like Teleservice, BMW Assist eCall, and Remote Software Upgrade.

Can anyone that's purchased it confirm that's the case?
      07-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #8
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
There seem to be two types of ConnectedDrive subscriptions. The first is until a certain date that you'd pay for monthly or year and the other is "As long as technically capable" referring to the car's data connection to a network. I'm assuming remote engine start would fall under "As long as technically capable," like Teleservice, BMW Assist eCall, and Remote Software Upgrade.

Can anyone that's purchased it confirm that's the case?
Purchased it, and it's marked "as long as technically capable". I have been having issues with it through the app so I have been using they key to remote start and it works just fine. The car needs to be reprogrammed thru OTA software update to enable it anyways.
Appreciate 2
kjx3162.50
Ximian1884.50
      07-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Purchased it, and it's marked "as long as technically capable". I have been having issues with it through the app so I have been using they key to remote start and it works just fine. The car needs to be reprogrammed thru OTA software update to enable it anyways.

I can confirm this. Also, for the remote start there was only one price for a lifetime option. This is compared to the drive recorder which you can purchase for 12 months, 3 years of lifetime...

(Its the lifetime of the car and you cant switch it to another vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
DrunkMonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp

Well I most likely would have not optioned for remote start if I knew this ahead of time. Car just entered production yesterday. oh well. guess I'm going to be enjoying the HUD too.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #11
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonkey View Post
Well I most likely would have not optioned for remote start if I knew this ahead of time. Car just entered production yesterday. oh well. guess I'm going to be enjoying the HUD too.
Honestly Exec package is worth it for the HUD alone ... love that feature
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #12
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

For fun, I checked. Remote Start shows up as a purchasable option for my car (6MT). Always seemed like a terrible idea...you'd have to leave the car in Neutral. Never trusted parking brakes enough to do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #13
JMU_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
For fun, I checked. Remote Start shows up as a purchasable option for my car (6MT). Always seemed like a terrible idea...you'd have to leave the car in Neutral. Never trusted parking brakes enough to do that.
Wait, I thought remote start didn't work with the base model manuals. Can anybody confirm whether it does or doesn't work?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMU_BMW View Post
Wait, I thought remote start didn't work with the base model manuals. Can anybody confirm whether it does or doesn't work?
That's what I thought, too. Not going to pay the bucks to order it on the site to find out, though.
Appreciate 1
JMU_BMW152.50
      07-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #15
DrunkMonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
always wear polarized lenses
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 01:11 AM   #16
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

But is it available also on EU spec cars?

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #17
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
always wear polarized lenses
I bought a cheap pair of sunglasses at Target I only keep in my car for just this reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Wait, are you still able to start the car via phone app so you don't need to purchase the exec package that has the remote start included?

My dealer said this is true but now i'm wondering if it really is. Either way i wasn't going to pay that package for the remote start as i didn't really care for the laser light (even though they look incredible).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #19
Grrveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (sold) 2018 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Wait, are you still able to start the car via phone app so you don't need to purchase the exec package that has the remote start included?

My dealer said this is true but now i'm wondering if it really is. Either way i wasn't going to pay that package for the remote start as i didn't really care for the laser light (even though they look incredible).

Can anyone confirm that you can add the “remote start” option via the app, even if your car doesn’t have the executive package option?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #20
no2msrp
Rep
Drives: M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrveer View Post
Can anyone confirm that you can add the “remote start” option via the app, even if your car doesn’t have the executive package option?

Thanks!
Yes I have purchased remote engine start separately without exec pack. I have used it exactly once since the purchase, to test if it works.

From bmwusa:
To check whether Remote Engine Start is available for your vehicle: log in to the ConnectedDrive portal (www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive), ensure that your registered BMW is the active vehicle and browse to this service via the "Shop BMW ConnectedDrive" link. If this service is not available, you do not have the necessary hardware installed in your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #21
Grrveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (sold) 2018 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2msrp View Post
Yes I have purchased remote engine start separately without exec pack. I have used it exactly once since the purchase, to test if it works.

From bmwusa:
To check whether Remote Engine Start is available for your vehicle: log in to the ConnectedDrive portal (www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive), ensure that your registered BMW is the active vehicle and browse to this service via the "Shop BMW ConnectedDrive" link. If this service is not available, you do not have the necessary hardware installed in your vehicle.

Right on! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:23 AM   #22
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
But is it available also on EU spec cars?
Nope, I'm in Switzerland and I don't have this option....usually EU cars do not have remote start option because of regulations....
Appreciate 0