BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-11-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
lightvol2
Lightvol2
Rep
Drives: Lexus RCF

G80/G82 Out of state purchase

Hello, all.

I would like some advice on possibly purchasing a car out of state. I currently live in California. Are there any tips, ideas, things to look out for, that you can share?

The tax in California is super high. How would the tax work if I purchase out of state?

Would I have to drive the car back to California myself? Or can the dealer deliver for a fee?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:00 PM   #2
Pool Shark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Accord Sport6MT / Tesla3 / M3

From my experience, the sales tax is based on where the car will be titled not where you purchase it. So if you live in CA and will have CA plates, you'll pay CA sales tax.

Yes, you could drive the car back yourself or for a fee arrange for it to be transported.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:21 PM   #3
TinkerTailor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp xDrive

If my memory serves me right, when you go to register a new car in California after bringing it into the state from another state where you paid sales tax, California will charge use tax at the time of registration. Such tax should be the difference between the sales tax paid in the other state and what the sales tax would have been if the car was purchased in California initially.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 07:26 AM   #4
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

As others stated, where you live is where the taxes and registration fees will be paid. I’ve purchased multiple cars out of state and the fees are paid based on the state I reside in. So no getting around your local taxes unless you open up a LLC in Montana or something.

Some dealers will deliver your car to you depending on how far away you are. I had a dealer deliver an X5 to my house but it was about 100 miles away. Or you can hire a transport company if you’re far away. I had a car shipped about 900 miles using Intercity and it was about $1,300 but there are cheaper transport options.
Appreciate 0