BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-10-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blah

Delivery Day Checklist

With a little luck my g80 should arrive at the dealer in less than a week. Having waited for this car now for almost 8 months, to say I'm pumped is an understatement.

I've never advance ordered a car before or agreed to purchase one sight unseen, so I'm not entirely clear on how delivery day differs from a standard purchase (if at all). For example, I assume the SA will do a complete walk around of the car with me to make sure there's no damage. But beyond that is it customary to test drive it too before signing papers? Not so much to see that I like the car, but more so just to confirm that the car appears to not have any mechanical issues. (I understand the odds of something like that are probably a 1000 to 1, but nonetheless it's a big purchase.)

Does anyone have any advice on things to look out for or a checklist of sorts? Because having waited this long, my first instinct is to run into the sales office, dodge all their upsells, throw my check at them, and grab the keys and peel out of there.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #2
bruce911_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
With a little luck my g80 should arrive at the dealer in less than a week. Having waited for this car now for almost 8 months, to say I'm pumped is an understatement.

I've never advance ordered a car before or agreed to purchase one sight unseen, so I'm not entirely clear on how delivery day differs from a standard purchase (if at all). For example, I assume the SA will do a complete walk around of the car with me to make sure there's no damage. But beyond that is it customary to test drive it too before signing papers? Not so much to see that I like the car, but more so just to confirm that the car appears to not have any mechanical issues. (I understand the odds of something like that are probably a 1000 to 1, but nonetheless it's a big purchase.)

Does anyone have any advice on things to look out for or a checklist of sorts? Because having waited this long, my first instinct is to run into the sales office, dodge all their upsells, throw my check at them, and grab the keys and peel out of there.
Your last paragraph says it all! Pretty much what I did.
Definitely do a complete walk around to make sure everything checks out. I drove my car with my SA to fill it up before I did the paperwork. I wouldn’t worry that much unless you find something wrong. Make sure it has all of the options you ordered. Pay for it and start driving!
Appreciate 1
BA///MA97.50
      04-10-2022, 11:22 PM   #3
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

I don't think it's really customary to drive your car before signing. But..I did test drive my F82 with my sales guy before I signed the papers, when it had arrived at the dealership. I wasn't actually looking for any issues, was just excited to get behind the wheel but was scheduled to take delivery the day after and the finance guy had already left. The sales manager was extremely upset about the fact that I had driven my car before I signed the papers. Made a big stink to me and the sales guy about what if I'd crashed the car and backed out of the sale..which makes absolutely no sense to me. When they take normal customers out on test drives, they assume the exact same risk. Hopefully your dealer is more receptive to you driving the car before signing.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 1
razman334.00
      04-10-2022, 11:45 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
- Do a thorough walk around and check for any signs of damage.
- Check to make sure they removed the shipping blocks during PDI.
- Make sure they give you both sets of keys and the key card
- Have the Genius help you setup your profile on the car and assign the key you'll be using.
- Don't let yourself get too hyped up about buying the car and then fall into the trap of buying all the extra shot the finance guy will try and sell you on.
- Lastly, take a lot of photos on delivery day and enjoy it. Nothing sweeter than finally getting the keys handed over to the car you've been obsessively reading about and tracking for the last (almost) year.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 10
BMWM4CX281.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
razman334.00
BA///MA97.50
adr_M3368.50
FLOSS M385.50
Biimmer70.00
      04-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
Mark Kez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible

Can’t Help

I can’t help you! This will be the 3rd BMW I’ve ordered (G83) and each time the dealership has tried to hold onto the car for a week to showcase in their showroom! I’ve gotten around that because each time I’ve gone after hours to do a walk around of the car and discovered they screwed up my interior trim! Both times!! I’ve already told my CA that if there’s no carbon fiber trim in this one I’m not taking the car. So I guess I can help after all, an after hours walk around is a great way to start then take the keys and hit the road!
Appreciate 1
razman334.00
      04-11-2022, 06:39 AM   #6
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Here is my list (which may annoy your CA, Genius, wife, etc.):

1. Bring charged inspection light, are there dealer-installed swirls or other paint defects?
2. Review build sheet against original order spec sheet
3. Ask if they know if any repairs have been done at VPC
4. Is there a PDI checklist, can I get a copy?
5. Ask about battery health due to the long storage period at the factory (QC purgatory), will it last? LiPo
6. Build date / Compliance date:- (VIN: WB_______________)
7. Front license plate not to be mounted, is hardware in the trunk?
8. Vehicle body (External) - check panels and paint, are gaps correct?
9. Check lower parts on front and rear for damage
10. Are shipping blocks removed?
11. Which tires, how many wheel weights, are wheels scratched?
12. Check tires for flat spots
13. Check trunk open/close, tools in trunk bag, rear seat fold-down, mobility kit
14. Seats, seat belts - check leather, condition, adjustment
15. Touch screen present? Carplay? XM working?
16. Does iDrive controller have touch capability?
17. Internal panels, ambient lighting – check
18. Is there a wireless charger?
19. Is there a wireless LTE-Compensator (comes with (WCA)
20. Are ventilated seats present?
21. Features/options – check all buttons for proper function NFC/phone charging, heated front seats etc. did I get carpet mats etc.
22. Verify A/C is working
23. Check the mileage
24. Check for vehicle manual
25. Are there two key fobs and the Key Card
26. Open the hood and check the engine/compartment
27. Fuel tank full?
28. Is the backup assist present?
29. Are tire pressures correct?
30. Test Drive

Last edited by edofloat; 04-11-2022 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 18
      04-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all. This is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
edofloat
Captain
Rep

I also will show up with my paint thickness gauge and check all metal panels.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 02:14 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
I also will show up with my paint thickness gauge and check all metal panels.
...followed by a voltmeter readout on every fuse, right?
      04-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
...followed by a voltmeter readout on every fuse, right?
may I borrow yours? I don't have one of those. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

1. Bring charged inspection light, are there dealer-installed swirls or other paint defects?
5. Ask about battery health due to the long storage period at the factory (QC purgatory), will it last? LiPo
13. Check trunk open/close, tools in trunk bag, rear seat fold-down, mobility kit
21. Features/options – check all buttons for proper function NFC/phone charging, heated front seats etc. did I get carpet mats etc.
23. Check the mileage
27. Fuel tank full?
30. Test Drive
For 10, how can I check this myself?
For 11, what's the idea behind the # of wheel weights?
For 13, what tools should I be checking for?
For 18, weren't these excluded from earlier builds? (Mine is week 45)
For 25, do the 6MTs get key cards? I have a vague memory of this being a comp spec only. I might be wrong.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #12
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
For 10, how can I check this myself?
For 11, what's the idea behind the # of wheel weights?
For 13, what tools should I be checking for?
For 18, weren't these excluded from earlier builds? (Mine is week 45)
For 25, do the 6MTs get key cards? I have a vague memory of this being a comp spec only. I might be wrong.
10. Look at the suspension above the wheel, you can see them if they did not take them out.
11. One wheel with waaaay too many wheel weights may be hard to balance. It may be close to out of tolerance for a new wheel.
13. Tow hook etc.
18. Wireless charger was excluded on mine but then it appeared it may have been installed, I will check.
25. Good question, pretty sure you should get the credit card key too with a manual. I know the CA I work with says that they have stopped shipping those and to look at the window sticker, I think he is incorrect. After all, he has said twice that the DCT in the G8x cars shifts nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 12:58 PM   #13
ImJimmyTran
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5 M

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
What color did you get?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
razman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJimmyTran View Post
What color did you get?
IoMG.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 11:17 PM   #15
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Quote:

23. Check the mileage
27. Fuel tank full?
30. Test Drive
This is really helpful, thank you. I know this is an old post but I'm curious what recourse exactly you'd look for if/when you find any issues running down this checklist. Preparing myself for delivery of my new 2024 M3 Comp hopefully next month.
      01-19-2024, 08:33 PM   #16
edofloat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenitoBlanco View Post
This is really helpful, thank you. I know this is an old post but I'm curious what recourse exactly you'd look for if/when you find any issues running down this checklist. Preparing myself for delivery of my new 2024 M3 Comp hopefully next month.
The list I made above was for the G82 I had ordered, I use the same basic list each time but change it as needed for different vehicle purchases.

What I look for when taking delivery of any car is to make sure it is in the proper condition and I am getting what I am paying for. This is the primary reason I use a checklist since it is easy to miss things that can be fairly obvious because you are excited to get your new car and not take the time to look carefully at your new car. If the delivery area is not well lit it can be hard to see imperfections. Building cars is complicated and after buying more than 40 new vehicles I don't think I have EVER taken delivery of a car that is flawless. If the car needs paint correction I generally don't say a word unless I can't fix it myself. Perfect paint from the factory is rare, and I don't want some low-paid washbay kid trying to do my paint correction.

If there is an issue with any car I am taking delivery of I would present it to the dealer and ask how they wish to handle whatever it may be and be nice while having the discussion. Most things can get handled as long as it is done BEFORE you leave with the vehicle on delivery day, afterwards, it may be much more difficult to get any issue solved or resolved to your liking (be reasonable). The dealer has an incentive to get the car delivered and have the customer happy they know you will get a survey from the manufacturer. They can't make you take the car and if you refuse delivery over issues it will be difficult for them to not help even if you have already paid. Most times I will always look over the car before paying for the car.

When I got my G82 everything was perfect and there were no issues although I got a funny look when they saw the paint thickness gauge. My car sat in Germany for months waiting for missing parts due to COVID supply issues. You never know what happens at storage lots...things happen and sometimes it is body damage which often they are not required to disclose but will simply fix.

Here is where my checklist helped as I don't think I would have caught the problem with my new 992 without my checklist.

Here is the story:

I ordered a 992, or more accurately got on a list to order a 992 before I ordered my G82CX. Eventually, I was able to place an order for the 992 and after it was placed I made a few changes by adding additional equipment including a heated GT steering wheel rather than just a plain heated steering wheel. Given the crazy amount of things you can option on a 992, I was not surprised that the dealer wanted me to sign off each time I made a change approving the change and cost.

Eventually, the car arrived at the dealer and it was two days before the end of the month. They needed to prep the car and also do the window ting and PPF they made me buy too. Of course, being the end of the month they wanted to report the car sold and have it paid for too. I was happy to help by going to the dealer and then paying for the car but didn't pick it up since it was not ready.

Five days later I went to take delivery and started down my list of things and didn't get very far and found that the car did not have the heated GT steering wheel I ordered. The salesperson said, "You must not have ordered that item as that just does not happen". I showed him the emails and where he approved the change. Geuss there is always a first time. I didn't pay for the heated steering wheel and didn't realize it either the day I paid for the car, I didn't know that day.

Given the email chain, it became apparent they did make the mistake. They asked what I wanted and I let them know I wanted what I ordered. After that, they told me there was nothing they could do since the car had already been built. The solution they offered was to re-order the car and wait, given I already waited more than two years I wasn't anxious to do the re-order. I let them know they could retrofit the steering wheel and I would pay the amount of the option cost and they could figure out who was paying for the balance of the actual cost to retrofit the steering wheel which was quite a bit more money than the option cost.

After I told the GSM and the sales guy I felt put off since they tried to tell me this was not a correctable situation. In the end, I settled for a third servicing on the car at their expense instead of retrofitting the heated steering wheel.

Hope you enjoy your new car, they are an amazing value and are a performance bargain. Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 03:05 AM   #17
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Quote:
The list I made above was for the G82 I had ordered, I use the same basic list each time but change it as needed for different vehicle purchases.

What I look for when taking delivery of any car is to make sure it is in the proper condition and I am getting what I am paying for. This is the primary reason I use a checklist since it is easy to miss things that can be fairly obvious because you are excited to get your new car and not take the time to look carefully at your new car. If the delivery area is not well lit it can be hard to see imperfections. Building cars is complicated and after buying more than 40 new vehicles I don't think I have EVER taken delivery of a car that is flawless. If the car needs paint correction I generally don't say a word unless I can't fix it myself. Perfect paint from the factory is rare, and I don't want some low-paid washbay kid trying to do my paint correction.

If there is an issue with any car I am taking delivery of I would present it to the dealer and ask how they wish to handle whatever it may be and be nice while having the discussion. Most things can get handled as long as it is done BEFORE you leave with the vehicle on delivery day, afterwards, it may be much more difficult to get any issue solved or resolved to your liking (be reasonable). The dealer has an incentive to get the car delivered and have the customer happy they know you will get a survey from the manufacturer. They can't make you take the car and if you refuse delivery over issues it will be difficult for them to not help even if you have already paid. Most times I will always look over the car before paying for the car.

When I got my G82 everything was perfect and there were no issues although I got a funny look when they saw the paint thickness gauge. My car sat in Germany for months waiting for missing parts due to COVID supply issues. You never know what happens at storage lots...things happen and sometimes it is body damage which often they are not required to disclose but will simply fix.

Here is where my checklist helped as I don't think I would have caught the problem with my new 992 without my checklist.

Here is the story:

I ordered a 992, or more accurately got on a list to order a 992 before I ordered my G82CX. Eventually, I was able to place an order for the 992 and after it was placed I made a few changes by adding additional equipment including a heated GT steering wheel rather than just a plain heated steering wheel. Given the crazy amount of things you can option on a 992, I was not surprised that the dealer wanted me to sign off each time I made a change approving the change and cost.

Eventually, the car arrived at the dealer and it was two days before the end of the month. They needed to prep the car and also do the window ting and PPF they made me buy too. Of course, being the end of the month they wanted to report the car sold and have it paid for too. I was happy to help by going to the dealer and then paying for the car but didn't pick it up since it was not ready.

Five days later I went to take delivery and started down my list of things and didn't get very far and found that the car did not have the heated GT steering wheel I ordered. The salesperson said, "You must not have ordered that item as that just does not happen". I showed him the emails and where he approved the change. Geuss there is always a first time. I didn't pay for the heated steering wheel and didn't realize it either the day I paid for the car, I didn't know that day.

Given the email chain, it became apparent they did make the mistake. They asked what I wanted and I let them know I wanted what I ordered. After that, they told me there was nothing they could do since the car had already been built. The solution they offered was to re-order the car and wait, given I already waited more than two years I wasn't anxious to do the re-order. I let them know they could retrofit the steering wheel and I would pay the amount of the option cost and they could figure out who was paying for the balance of the actual cost to retrofit the steering wheel which was quite a bit more money than the option cost.

After I told the GSM and the sales guy I felt put off since they tried to tell me this was not a correctable situation. In the end, I settled for a third servicing on the car at their expense instead of retrofitting the heated steering wheel.

Hope you enjoy your new car, they are an amazing value and are a performance bargain. Good Luck!
Thank you for all this detail and for the well wishes! I will definitely reference the checklist you shared when receiving my G80 and will reiterate the couple requests that I've shared with my SA considering that the car should be landing at their dealership any day now.