BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Harmon Kardon Sound

Hi all: For those of you who now have your car, how does the Harman Kardon system sound? I'm currently in an M550 with the Bowers and Wilkins system, which is very good, I love it!

I expect to see my M3 in May, and for the days when I'm not enjoying the amazing engine, I love great audio sound for music.

Any opinions?
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

I think many of us who appreciate the HK sound system in the f80 have noticed that this one is missing some of the depth. It's technically really amazing - the sound deadening is amazing but there is room for improvement. B&W code from bimmercode allows the 'studio' signaling and that seems to be nice.

The Spotify support is welcome. The Sirius is nice.

There is a thread about HK in the g80. It's an amazing system, but i think there was more room for depth in the f80 system.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
      02-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram9cc View Post
I think many of us who appreciate the HK sound system in the f80 have noticed that this one is missing some of the depth. It's technically really amazing - the sound deadening is amazing but there is room for improvement. B&W code from bimmercode allows the 'studio' signaling and that seems to be nice.

The Spotify support is welcome. The Sirius is nice.

There is a thread about HK in the g80. It's an amazing system, but i think there was more room for depth in the f80 system.
Thank you, appreciate this. There are times when I love to immerse myself in my favourite music and go for a good solid drive. The B&W system in my 5 is very good, I was concerned about the "step down" when I get my M3 (which otherwise I'm very excited about)

I'll take a look at that thread you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
I've owned two F82 cars with HK.
The HK system in the Gxx isn't as good, I install audio systems for a living (not car audio) and it's been the only negative in the whole Gxx experience. I agree 100% that technology wise it's all you'd ever need but somethings lacking in it. The lower end isn't as deep, I've messed about with it for weeks and it's just not happening. Not sure if it's the amplifier or they've messed up with the tuning of it but it almost sounds out of phase.
Seldom did I consider upgrading the Fxx system, but in the Gxx it's priority number one.
The car is the only place where you can have total freedom audio wise (or at least it is for me given I live in the city with neighbours to consider) so I'm going to wait a while and see what others find in the upgrade process before I correct it.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 2
BardG212.50
M4Tejas788.00
      02-15-2022, 06:33 PM   #5
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
I've owned two F82 cars with HK.
The HK system in the Gxx isn't as good, I install audio systems for a living (not car audio) and it's been the only negative in the whole Gxx experience. I agree 100% that technology wise it's all you'd ever need but somethings lacking in it. The lower end isn't as deep, I've messed about with it for weeks and it's just not happening. Not sure if it's the amplifier or they've messed up with the tuning of it but it almost sounds out of phase.
Seldom did I consider upgrading the Fxx system, but in the Gxx it's priority number one.
The car is the only place where you can have total freedom audio wise (or at least it is for me given I live in the city with neighbours to consider) so I'm going to wait a while and see what others find in the upgrade process before I correct it.
Thank You. I too love the "freedom" of my solo time in my car listening to my favourite tunes! I have a feeling I'll feel exactly the same way when I get my car.

I'd love to learn what direction you go to improve the system. Cheers
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Man you guys are picky. I dont think it sounds bad at all. Mine bumps plenty fine for my taste.
      02-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #7
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Man you guys are picky. I dont think it sounds bad at all. Mine bumps plenty fine for my taste.
Hey I'm glad to hear that. I may be over thinking this. I'm currently driving a 2019 M550 with a B&W system. Every time I get in the car I'm reminded of how good the system performs. Then my mind starts to wonder if how I will like the HK system in the M3. I won't know until my car arrives, hopefully late Spring. 🤞
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:59 PM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Quote:
Hey I'm glad to hear that. I may be over thinking this. I'm currently driving a 2019 M550 with a B&W system. Every time I get in the car I'm reminded of how good the system performs. Then my mind starts to wonder if how I will like the HK system in the M3. I won't know until my car arrives, hopefully late Spring. 🤞
We'll, here's my logic. I've had 6 m cars since 2011. My last one was 17 f80 m3. Then I moved on to Porsche 911's. My last 2020 911 S had the 7k bermister stereo. That stereo was the loudest stereo I've ever had. Extremely loud! But it didn't thump as hard as one would expect for the cost.

I sold that 911 to come back into a sedan (had 4 911s since 2017, ready to get back into sedan) and I wasn't disappointed to the point I'd complain. For a 85k car I think it's pretty good.

My 162k 911 with the super high end and extremely loud bermister stereo was not worth the 7k I paid for it COMPARED to the much cheaper bmw one. I got much more bang for the buck cost wise with the bmw.

Could it be louder? Yes. Could it thumb harder, sure. But I still don't find it so horrible vs what I remembered in my past m cars.
M4Tejas788.00
      02-16-2022, 12:16 AM   #9
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
I had a bog standard 530i xDrive as a loaner not too long ago, and recall it sounding pretty good all things considered. I'm sure the B&W system is a step up from that, so yeah - prepare for disappointment with the G80.

The HK system in the G80 is an absolute joke. If I had known it was as bad as it is, I would've allocated more money to replace the audio system rather than everything else I bought. I was left in amazement when I first heard it and had it not been for other people on these forums complaining about it, I would've thought that BMW may have sent me a defected car or something. It really it dreadful.

Sorry, but I'd rather prepare you for disappointment and maybe it isn't so bad to your ears after it comes. However, after about 2 weeks of ownership of the G80 M3 - it is by far in a way the worst part of owning it.

I am in the dog house with the missus for the amount I've spent on mods already, so the sound system has to wait. But had I known it was as bad as it is then I would've done things completely differently.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I had a bog standard 530i xDrive as a loaner not too long ago, and recall it sounding pretty good all things considered. I'm sure the B&W system is a step up from that, so yeah - prepare for disappointment with the G80.

The HK system in the G80 is an absolute joke. If I had known it was as bad as it is, I would've allocated more money to replace the audio system rather than everything else I bought. I was left in amazement when I first heard it and had it not been for other people on these forums complaining about it, I would've thought that BMW may have sent me a defected car or something. It really it dreadful.

Sorry, but I'd rather prepare you for disappointment and maybe it isn't so bad to your ears after it comes. However, after about 2 weeks of ownership of the G80 M3 - it is by far in a way the worst part of owning it.

I am in the dog house with the missus for the amount I've spent on mods already, so the sound system has to wait. But had I known it was as bad as it is then I would've done things completely differently.
Im not arguing with your opinion at all, but I am really shocked you feel this way. I honestly don't remember any of my past M cars stereos sounding any better or worse.

I guess we all feel how we feel and that's cool. I respect it.
      02-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Quote:

Im not arguing with your opinion at all, but I am really shocked you feel this way. I honestly don't remember any of my past M cars stereos sounding any better or worse.

I guess we all feel how we feel and that's cool. I respect it.
I do suppose it's a matter of perspective, expectation, etc.

My wife and I have had the following cars in the past 4 years: G80 M3, 2021 Tesla Model Y, 2019 Audi A6, 2015 911 GT3, and an F80 M3 (I'm sure you can guess which ones were her daily drivers lol, but we shared cars all the time). All of those cars had great sound systems, including the F80. The GT3 also sounded great with the Bose system considering that Porsche focused on performance. The Model Y had a surprisingly amazing audio system considering the price and jumping from that directly into the G80 left a real sour taste in my mouth.. or the ear equivalent of that haha.

I'm a bit of an audiophile that uses a Universal Audio Arrow as a DAC to push music through high impedance headphones at home, so there is that.. but still, the HK system really isn't cutting it for me. I really need to get over this break in period so I can install exhaust mods and listen to that rather than the audio system.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I do suppose it's a matter of perspective, expectation, etc.

My wife and I have had the following cars in the past 4 years: G80 M3, 2021 Tesla Model Y, 2019 Audi A6, 2015 911 GT3, and an F80 M3 (I'm sure you can guess which ones were her daily drivers lol, but we shared cars all the time). All of those cars had great sound systems, including the F80. The GT3 also sounded great with the Bose system considering that Porsche focused on performance. The Model Y had a surprisingly amazing audio system considering the price and jumping from that directly into the G80 left a real sour taste in my mouth.. or the ear equivalent of that haha.

I'm a bit of an audiophile that uses a Universal Audio Arrow as a DAC to push music through high impedance headphones at home, so there is that.. but still, the HK system really isn't cutting it for me. I really need to get over this break in period so I can install exhaust mods and listen to that rather than the audio system.

I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. I've seen you over at Rennlist.

Well, you sound like you've had more experience in other different cars than I have. Most of all my experience in the past 10+ years has been with BMW and Porsche only. I dont remember my last BMW the F80 M3 being THAT much better. But I did have a JL W6 12" trunk sub in mine. Maybe I just dont remember how good it was vs now.

Either way, its all good. We like what we like and to each there own. Im totally cool with that.
      02-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #13
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
^^ This.

I've had the car only a few days, and haven't driven in it much. I've had 10 BMWs and only 2 without HK.

I'm not an 'audiophile' or whatever you call it. I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference between HK and B&W, although can clearly tell the difference between standard and HK. It sounds just like the HK I have in my M550. I can't recall what the HK in my F80 sounded like, although I vividly recall listening to more exhaust and less music.

It's good. Works fine. I was able to set my EQ so that my songs sounded great. That's along multiple genres of music. It's good for most people. If you're an audiophile that can fine tune the system 1hz at a time, you'll probably notice something. The masses won't.
Appreciate 2
BardG212.50
vitipr171.00
      02-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #14
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
I remember seeing a thread where I believe people were trying to retrofit an AMP into the vehicle? I believe Kees Motorsports did it on a G20 and it greatly improved the overall quality of the system.

I have a feeling it will be a bit underwhelming since most vehicles I have owned I usually end up installing Focal speakers in.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #15
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Is it better than the Bose system in a q50S? Silver sport, NOT the red sport upgraded Bose system. If it is I am ok with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #16
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Hi all: For those of you who now have your car, how does the Harman Kardon system sound? I'm currently in an M550 with the Bowers and Wilkins system, which is very good, I love it!

I expect to see my M3 in May, and for the days when I'm not enjoying the amazing engine, I love great audio sound for music.

Any opinions?
There seems to be quite a bit of negativity about the HK system in the G8x cars on this forum, particularly versus the HK system in the F8x cars. I had my F82 for nearly 3 years and I've had the G82 for 6 weeks and I don't have any problems or negative feedback on the new system.

It sounds great to me and although I'm not an audiophile, I think it has decent range for everyday music while driving. I listen to a wide variety of music, from The Prodigy and other dance/rave music, to Oasis, Beatles, Rolling Stones, plus regular pop and chart music. It's fine for me no matter what I listen to and like others, I love going for a drive with some decent tunes on.

I have coded in the B&W settings and have it set to Concert with max. intensity, plus I've tweaked the equalizer a bit. This did seem to improve it over the standard Logic 7 option
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #17
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post
Quote:

Any opinions?
There seems to be quite a bit of negativity about the HK system in the G8x cars on this forum, particularly versus the HK system in the F8x cars. I had my F82 for nearly 3 years and I've had the G82 for 6 weeks and I don't have any problems or negative feedback on the new system.

It sounds great to me and although I'm not an audiophile, I think it has decent range for everyday music while driving. I listen to a wide variety of music, from The Prodigy and other dance/rave music, to Oasis, Beatles, Rolling Stones, plus regular pop and chart music. It's fine for me no matter what I listen to and like others, I love going for a drive with some decent tunes on.

I have coded in the B&W settings and have it set to Concert with max. intensity, plus I've tweaked the equalizer a bit. This did seem to improve it over the standard Logic 7 option
Question on the B&W coding: Does it simply add more granular EQ adjustment options? Or, does it offer software upgrades which enhance the signal being delivered to the speakers?
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #18
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Question on the B&W coding: Does it simply add more granular EQ adjustment options? Or, does it offer software upgrades which enhance the signal being delivered to the speakers?
I have not tried it yet. But its sounds like its simply a different EQ profile(s). In another thread one member suggested his rear speakers would get quiet at times. As if he could not hear them. So until more people try this and report back, I am leaving mine alone.
M4Tejas788.00
      02-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #19
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have not tried it yet. But its sounds like its simply a different EQ profile(s). In another thread one member suggested his rear speakers would get quiet at times. As if he could not hear them. So until more people try this and report back, I am leaving mine alone.
I think you're right. I don't know if BMW is set up for software driven sound management as systems like Sonos employ. But more EQ settings might be nice. I don't expect to see my car until about May or so, I too will wait until I've had time with the car and see the results of what others report. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:42 AM   #20
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you set some of the profile it does cause the rear speakers to cut out, that's true

I'll re-code back to original config later a see if I still think B&W is better
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      02-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #21
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
It seems to improve the soundstage. You can select things like concert hall, theater, etc it's a definite improvement over the stock coding.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      02-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #22
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
It seems to improve the soundstage. You can select things like concert hall, theater, etc it's a definite improvement over the stock coding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
This is good to know, thank you. I've read from some it sometimes reduces the rear speaker volume, have you experienced that?
Appreciate 0