BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

12-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #89
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I’d never buy a Tesla. Has nothing to do with disliking EV’s or Musk. My dislike of Tesla stems from horrible build quality, abysmal paint, and the fact that when you need any service you must go to Tesla and their prices for non warranty work is horrendous. They are not mechanics, they are simply parts swappers. Hard pass on anything Tesla.
Appreciate 6
      12-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #90
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
The Cybertruck is going after the more extreme edges of those on the XM spectrum.
Appreciate 3
bri10425940.00
M4Tejas788.00
      01-05-2024, 10:32 PM   #91
marashka
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Unless you’re planning on this for like 2027 I’m pretty sure you can slip another car in before there is a chance of your Cybertruck arriving.

Love the optimism
I have actually already signed the agreement and put down a deposit. Tesla reached out with delivery time frame of second half of march for founders edition. Price kinda bites. Top of the line is 140k otd.
Appreciate 1
MJBO2616.00
      01-05-2024, 11:42 PM   #92
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Not interested in the truck but this video is pretty damn good and has alot of details about the CT

reminds me of the Johnnie Cab in the first Total Recall...
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      03-06-2024, 11:48 PM   #93
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Tesla has always been straight up trash.

The new truck is a $59k vehicle intended for the lower middle class. This has been known for some time now.

I wouldn’t own one. Can’t get past the awful looks and weight of them. And we don’t care how fast they are. They are in a different class. They are an EV ie a trans vehicle. EVs should race EVs and gas cars should race gas cars. Plus when I see a Tesla on the road you automatically think oh another POS Joe Biden supporter. 😂😂
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1480.50
M4Tejas788.00
      03-07-2024, 08:24 AM   #94
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tanz M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
NO.

However i'm very much against Elon.

That being said i still like to think about things rationally. My friend got to drive one and i saw one at our local car meet so i can give you some thoughts

Pros:

Good towing capacity
Lots of space
tech filled
decent space in the....space in the back..."trunk"? I dont know the official term
Decent vision all around for driving
EV so its quite economical
Consistent in performance output (Hagerty did a great portion on this)
48v architecture
Drive by Wire Steering

Cons:
Build quality is just as bad as your average Model 3. You'd think it wouldnt be but it is
Opening the rear cover is not nearly as smooth or nice as i feel like it should be for a car at this price. It's the same issue i have with the powered trunk in the Model 3, it feels and sounds cheap.
The car is a literal tank. If you hit ANYTHING with the car at anything over 30 MPH, get ready to pay for a lot of damages. There are quite a bit of sharp edges on the outside of the car and zero flex points. Honestly, you hit anyone going 30 mph you might actually kill them. For me this is a big issue.
The "cheap" version wont be released till later. You're going to be paying for something that almost 100k with the build quality of something that is in their 30k vehicles which other cheaper car companies dont have in their 18k vehicles.

While i wont try and prevent anyone from buying what they want. I personally will never own a Tesla. My friend bought a Model 3 and the amount of panel gaps and low quality feeling mechanisms immedietly made me feel like he wasted his money. I get it, the tech is cool and i feel like Tesla engineers are actually incredible, but the quality control is just not there for me. And i just dont like Elon, especially after working for him for 2 years. But thats me.
Pretty much echo these sentiments exactly, though I never worked for him. Never felt like any of the Teslas I was in were "solid," and not a fan of any of the styling. And yeah the thing with Elon personally is...I dunno man. He just ain't right, IMO
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1480.50
      03-07-2024, 08:42 AM   #95
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Cybertruck is the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

More power to you if you don't mind the awful quality on top of the horrendous looks.
Appreciate 4
'Cane8514.50
Jim B1895.00
eugenebmw1480.50
M4Tejas788.00
      03-19-2024, 04:19 PM   #96
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marashka View Post
Huh?…. Anyway, this example right here is why heavy drinking and posting online is often embarrassing. Don’t do it kids!
You are going to be driving around in a Cybertruck dude... now that's embarrassing.
Appreciate 2
Jim B1895.00
      03-19-2024, 05:07 PM   #97
marashka
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
You are going to be driving around in a Cybertruck dude... now that's embarrassing.
Fascinating how some people aren’t able to live their own life without an inescapable need to judge other people on the way they choose to spend their money. Dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:45 PM   #98
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marashka View Post
Fascinating how some people aren’t able to live their own life without an inescapable need to judge other people on the way they choose to spend their money. Dude.
Now I'm just imagining your face when your cybertruck gets delivered. Being all proud.

Hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:29 PM   #99
marashka
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Now I'm just imagining your face when your cybertruck gets delivered. Being all proud.

Hilarious.
You sound very sad and lonely. I don’t want to live in your head even if it’s rent free.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1480.50
      03-20-2024, 09:15 PM   #100
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

There is a huge gap in socioeconomic status between those who vehemently dislike the CT and those who like it. It's fascinating.
Appreciate 1
marashka223.00
      03-25-2024, 08:19 AM   #101
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
There is a huge gap in socioeconomic status between those who vehemently dislike the CT and those who like it. It's fascinating.
Hmm. Please elaborate on this highly speculative comment.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:46 PM   #102
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hmm. Please elaborate on this highly speculative comment.
Just a genuine observation.

Cybertruck conversations in real life can either invoke joy or negativity. It's very similar to how it is online. You either hear "they are so cool" or "What a POS" and "EVs are actually worse for the environment..."

I've noticed those who have achieved high levels of success in life tend to view the Cybertruck more positively. The're usually happier people in general who add positive energy to a room and are nice to be around.

The "it looks like shit and can't tow" people are generally miserable and are usually a few rungs lower on the ladder.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:39 PM   #103
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:

Cybertruck conversations in real life can either invoke joy or negativity. It's very similar to how it is online. You either hear "they are so cool" or "What a POS" and "EVs are actually worse for the environment..."

I've noticed those who have achieved high levels of success in life tend to view the Cybertruck more positively. The're usually happier people in general who add positive energy to a room and are nice to be around.

The "it looks like shit and can't tow" people are generally miserable and are usually a few rungs lower on the ladder.
Generally speaking, EV owners who buy top of food chain expensive EV's don't like being reminded of the horrible quality, number of people in the Congo who died mining the Cobalt for it or that its fuel economy is the same as the power plant supplying the electrons minus transmission losses or the massive amount of carbon expended in mining the massive number of elements required to assemble said carbon bomb. Oh, and that it can't tow shit anywhere meaningful. Other than that, it's a great truck if you enjoy 3rd grade design brought to life.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1480.50
TimmyM56241.50
      03-25-2024, 05:59 PM   #104
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Generally speaking, EV owners who buy top of food chain expensive EV's don't like being reminded of the horrible quality, number of people in the Congo who died mining the Cobalt for it or that its fuel economy is the same as the power plant supplying the electrons minus transmission losses or the massive amount of carbon expended in mining the massive number of elements required to assemble said carbon bomb. Oh, and that it can't tow shit anywhere meaningful. Other than that, it's a great truck if you enjoy 3rd grade design brought to life.
LOL. Exactly.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1480.50
      03-27-2024, 12:56 PM   #105
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Quote:

Are you saying that noone who has achieved success in life can look at the hilarious set of contradictions that is the Cyber Truck and have a negative opinion of it? The car exists as it is solely because Elon Musk and his ego said it must be so. There are so many questionable engineering decisions much less manufacturing processes that have gone into that vehicle that I think anyone who has the intellect to "achieve success" in life can also say it may not be the perfect vehicle.

Conversely, is it not possible that there are a great many people who have "Achieved Success" who are convinced that they are always right as evidenced by their "success"? Perhaps that mentality confirms that the greatness of the cyber truck is proof of their good taste?

Remember when the Cyber Truck was going to be faster than a Porsche, go farther than a Model S, Tow more than a Diesel Truck, and be under 50K? I do, and I think it's at least partly to blame for a lot of people's dim view of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 01:13 PM   #106
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and that it can't tow shit anywhere meaningful.

Most of the trucks apparently averaged 1.3 miles / kWh. So a little over half what they normally get at highway speeds (2.0 to 2.4).

What would a diesel pickup get towing a 4,000 lb car on a 1,000 lb (?) trailer vs. it's normal economy? Considering that this was up over a 10,000 ft-mountain, I'd say "can't tow shit anywhere meaningful" isn't accurate.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 01:58 PM   #107
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Most of the trucks apparently averaged 1.3 miles / kWh. So a little over half what they normally get at highway speeds (2.0 to 2.4).

What would a diesel pickup get towing a 4,000 lb car on a 1,000 lb (?) trailer vs. it's normal economy? Considering that this was up over a 10,000 ft-mountain, I'd say "can't tow shit anywhere meaningful" isn't accurate.
If you think towing a 100 miles or less and sitting at a charger is towing, good luck. The EV tow youtubes are plentiful, it never ends well for the guy towing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 07:37 AM   #108
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you think towing a 100 miles or less and sitting at a charger is towing, good luck. The EV tow youtubes are plentiful, it never ends well for the guy towing.
YouTube "journalists" fail purposely for the clicks. Reality is different. Did you watch the video? Have you watched a video of someone who is familiar with towing who DOESN"T want to fail?

If you tow a lot....don't buy an EV truck. But reality check, how often does anyone use a truck to tow? I live in Truck Central, TX. The answer is....much lower than you would think. Those that buy to tow, tow often. But most people use their pickup just like a roomier, lifted car and very occasionally tow, and short distances at that. And even the ones that tow often are usually just taking their boat to the lake 40-50 miles away, driving around with a landscaping trailer, bringing their UTV's out of town, etc.

No one is forcing you to buy an EV truck. But don't say it can't tow anything meaningful. Much like most people's responses to EV's is to give extreme use cases (I can't road trip to Anchorage tomorrow morning if I want), same with towing. The reality is that it'd work fine for most people. And if it doesnt....just buy an ICE truck.
Appreciate 1
VR1638.00
      03-28-2024, 08:54 AM   #109
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
YouTube "journalists" fail purposely for the clicks. Reality is different. Did you watch the video? Have you watched a video of someone who is familiar with towing who DOESN"T want to fail?

If you tow a lot....don't buy an EV truck. But reality check, how often does anyone use a truck to tow? I live in Truck Central, TX. The answer is....much lower than you would think. Those that buy to tow, tow often. But most people use their pickup just like a roomier, lifted car and very occasionally tow, and short distances at that. And even the ones that tow often are usually just taking their boat to the lake 40-50 miles away, driving around with a landscaping trailer, bringing their UTV's out of town, etc.

No one is forcing you to buy an EV truck. But don't say it can't tow anything meaningful. Much like most people's responses to EV's is to give extreme use cases (I can't road trip to Anchorage tomorrow morning if I want), same with towing. The reality is that it'd work fine for most people. And if it doesnt....just buy an ICE truck.

This. In Texas almost no one uses their truck for anything more then from point A to point B. Not a tesla fan at all myself.

Last edited by hellcat2m4; 03-28-2024 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      03-28-2024, 10:16 AM   #110
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Are you even paying attention to the EPA and state bans? Any EV truck on the market does NOT work just fine as a truck. They do work swell for showing off Green Cred. EV youtube tow vids are definitely for clicks, but the truth they illuminate is just that, the truth, they suck for towing.
Appreciate 0