BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-27-2023, 06:39 AM   #45
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
The burbles sound like someon brewing a cup of coffee to me lol. Ever since I thought of that comparison I can’t take them seriously anymore.
That's a solid analogy right there.
Appreciate 1
PipeM3196.00
      02-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #46
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Wait, so just to be clear, I have a midpipe, and valve controller installed, the burbles I hear on the outside of my car from the exhaust are 100% fake?

Edit: I want to get rid of the ASD drone in the vehicle, so just confused by a few of the posts on this thread. My valve controller already overrides my exhaust button inside the car.
      02-04-2024, 03:59 PM   #47
NicolasB
Not my first rodeo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetyeet View Post
Wait, so just to be clear, I have a midpipe, and valve controller installed, the burbles I hear on the outside of my car from the exhaust are 100% fake?

Edit: I want to get rid of the ASD drone in the vehicle, so just confused by a few of the posts on this thread. My valve controller already overrides my exhaust button inside the car.
They are real, but programmed to be there, not really a necessity, just how they tune to make it sound sporty with the burbles.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
yeetyeet391.50
      02-04-2024, 04:00 PM   #48
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

The burbles are fake in that they are manufactured theater. There is no reason for the engine to do that and make that noise. Pure motorsports drama.

They are real in the sense that they are actually coming from your engine, not some external speaker.

In order to get rid of the ASD drone you must code it off.
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      02-04-2024, 04:34 PM   #49
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The burbles are fake in that they are manufactured theater. There is no reason for the engine to do that and make that noise. Pure motorsports drama.

They are real in the sense that they are actually coming from your engine, not some external speaker.

In order to get rid of the ASD drone you must code it off.
Awesome this is exactly what i was trying to understand, i was so confused on previous explanations earlier in the thread
      02-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #50
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome this is exactly what i was trying to understand, i was so confused on previous explanations earlier in the thread
I knew it was fake as I had a different car tuned a while ago and it was crazy burbling. I found it annoying so took it to my tuner and he tuned it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:10 PM   #51
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I knew it was fake as I had a different car tuned a while ago and it was crazy burbling. I found it annoying so took it to my tuner and he tuned it out.
Its not fake. What is Fake about it? Its a valve timing afjustment and or fuel cutoff on deceleration causing exhaust notes everyone calls burbles. If this is fake. Define the Real counterpart.

Using the word fake doesnt apply here. Fake exhaust sounds through a speaker- mimicking timing decel exhuast igniion is 'Fake' engine exhaust sounds. But calling the actual process and the resulting sound fake doesnt make sense.

Maybe I misunderstood what all you are calling fake. Shrug.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:19 PM   #52
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper View Post
Its not fake. What is Fake about it? Its a valve timing afjustment and or fuel cutoff on deceleration causing exhaust notes everyone calls burbles. If this is fake. Define the Real counterpart.

Using the word fake doesnt apply here. Fake exhaust sounds through a speaker- mimicking timing decel exhuast igniion is 'Fake' engine exhaust sounds. But calling the actual process and the resulting sound fake doesnt make sense.

Decaf put it nicely. It's fake because it's manufactured. It's real because it's really making those sounds and not produced by a speaker. IMO if it has to be manufactured to make the noise, it's not real, but it definitely is really making that noise.
Appreciate 2
Mike02z1977.50
Needsdecaf6599.00
      02-07-2024, 05:28 PM   #53
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

IMO if you can have it tuned out with no impact to performance it’s not needed. Maybe “fake” was not the right word.

A few years ago I was trying to eeek every bit of HP out of my C7. It had a Paxton SC, running 10lbs of boost, headers, tune and meth injection. It made 697 RWHP and ran high 10’s in the 1/4. I thought the burbles were obnoxious driving around town so I asked my tuner if it would impact HP if he tuned out the burbles and he said “nope”. He then tuned the burbles out and ran it again. 698 RWHP so to me that says it is not needed to get the most performance.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      02-07-2024, 07:06 PM   #54
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
IMO if you can have it tuned out with no impact to performance it’s not needed. Maybe “fake” was not the right word.

A few years ago I was trying to eeek every bit of HP out of my C7. It had a Paxton SC, running 10lbs of boost, headers, tune and meth injection. It made 697 RWHP and ran high 10’s in the 1/4. I thought the burbles were obnoxious driving around town so I asked my tuner if it would impact HP if he tuned out the burbles and he said “nope”. He then tuned the burbles out and ran it again. 698 RWHP so to me that says it is not needed to get the most performance.
I hear ya. Had a F1a blown ls ctsv tuned myself... this is no different than the diesel guys demanding smoke tunes. The smoke must be fake but its real when you choke on it. Its fake because it adds nothing. 😆 lol.
Appreciate 1
Mike02z1977.50
      02-07-2024, 07:20 PM   #55
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I commend you guys for your passion.

I am in the audio industry and it is odd to me, but when I’m in the car I want to hear the engine sounds foremost even if through the system. I have a 6 speed so I do need that for good shifts.
I only listen to music as background because I’m an audioplile and I never hold these vehicles to audiophile standards.
… if I get decent bandwidth (30Hz-18kHz)/ measure with pink noise, and a decent SPL, C- weighted (~95dB) without audible distortion that’s good enough for me. If it can squeeze out 100dB- great!
I used to go after-market in my 20s with serious mobile audio systems, but those days are in my past. I’m just happy if I hear decent resolution from Tidal or Qobuz streaming in the car. No MP3 !! 🫤😉
I just want to hear the sound of the car, primarily. I save my ears for the home systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:50 AM   #56
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I hear ya. Had a F1a blown ls ctsv tuned myself... this is no different than the diesel guys demanding smoke tunes. The smoke must be fake but its real when you choke on it. Its fake because it adds nothing. �� lol.
OK, let's put it this way.

Guy goes to the Rambo store. Buys some tactical gear, guns, vest, uniform, etc. He shows up fully kitted out in a vest that says LAPD SWAT. Has a badge. If you didn't know any better, he looks like a cop.

Is he real or fake? You'd say fake, right? Laugh at him for cosplaying something he's not. Not a real cop. In many locations, what he's doing is illegal (impersonating an officer).
But wait, the gear is real. The gun can kill you. The vest would stop a bullet. He's wearing the same crap that a real SWAT officer would wear. But you'd still call him a phony, a fraud, right? The gear sure is real. But the end product is anything but.

Same thing with burble tune. Burble tune is meant to mimic a car that's on the edge of performance. A car with a tune so aggressive that you get backfires, some pops and bangs, because you are chasing performance and don't care that it sounds a little raucous. Maybe a very aggressively tuned street car, maybe a full on race car, but one that's on the edge.

Now apply that same tune to a car that idles smoothly at 800 RPM and pulls hard from 2,000 RPM. One that drives without complaint in 105 degree heat and starts easily in sub zero temperatures. One that doesn't require rebuilds, or foul it's plugs every 100 hours. There is zero performance gain from the pops and bangs. It's all motorsports cosplay. Pretend race car. In that instance it's worse than the fake cop, because all that noise isn't from the legitimate reason. There's no performance change between a car with burble tune and one without.

That's why I call it fake.
Appreciate 1
Mike02z1977.50