United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Federal law requires kill switch in cars after 2026

Your Next Car Could Include Newly Required Drunk Driving Prevention Tech
Nov 11, 2021
Under the Biden administration's $1 trillion infrastructure package, a mandate requires automakers to install new technology in vehicles to prevent motorists from driving intoxicated.

While there are no specifics, the mandated technology in future models 2026 and beyond needs to "passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired."

General Motors, BMW, and Nissan have already started installing infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. These cameras track driver attentiveness and use semi-automated driver-assist systems.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/anti...tructure-bill/

What could possibly go wrong?
Who wants anyone accessing the camera's in your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #2
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
^ Just like student loan forgiveness?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #3
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
The mandate is among several road-safety provisions in the infrastructure bill. It also calls on NHTSA to require automatic braking for cars and the largest trucks, for a revamp of vehicle safety ratings and requiring in-vehicle alerts to help stop children from being left in hot cars.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...nfrastructure/

First it is amazing that lawmakers have voted on this when the details are not finalized but what's new.
So this would likely require you maintain internet access in your vehicle.
Expect car prices to escalate to cover this requirement.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

We can always refuse to buy such vehicles. It’s not all that complicated. I refuse to purchase any car that doesn’t have physical controls for A/C and other basic function. Touch screens are dangerous in my view.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #5
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Need to get rid of the financial incentives and lower mpg requirements of larger pickups. Tired of all the "semitrucks" running around with distracted drivers.
      11-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Clickbait title/article. Took me one google search to see this is a myth and not really a kill switch as it is claimed.
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
alex23642867.50
      11-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #7
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Not to mention the average Tesla has an occupant-facing camera that can record the interior and they're quickly become one of the most prolific cars on the road. In the age of apps and smartphones, the average consumer doesn't really seem to care.
      11-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #8
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Clickbait title/article. Took me one google search to see this is a myth and not really a kill switch as it is claimed.
Motor Trend and The Washington Post not reliable sources? But you do you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 02:05 PM   #9
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Clickbait title/article.
Yup click bate
Senate Passes Bipartisan Provision for Drunk Driving Prevention Tech in All New Cars
The “Advanced Impaired Driving Technology” section of the Infrastructure bill mandates an advanced vehicle technology standard that is expected to prevent more than 9,400 drunk driving deaths annually, according to a recent study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The measure was led by Senators Ben Ray Luján (D-NM), Rick Scott (R-FL), Gary Peters (D-MI), and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV).
https://madd.org/press-release/senat...-all-new-cars/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
not really a kill switch as it is claimed.
"It also calls on NHTSA to require automatic braking for cars and the largest trucks" Sure sounds like a kill switch to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #11
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
"It also calls on NHTSA to require automatic braking for cars and the largest trucks" Sure sounds like a kill switch to me.
That’s because you’re not reading it correctly.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2023, 04:26 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
My friend idk what to say perhaps our reading comprehension is different. That is not a kill switch at all to me. There's nothing set in stone yet. I'm not saying Motor trend and Washington Post is unreliable sources, it's just the title is not accurate and seems like clickbait/fear mongering.

EDIT: I just realise the title is on this forum post and not the article. Mb. But yeah I really wouldn't say it's a kill switch per se.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #13
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
EDIT: I just realise the title is on this forum post and not the article. Mb. But yeah I really wouldn't say it's a kill switch per se.
House Republicans Help Dems Preserve ‘Kill Switch’ Mandate That Could Shut Down Your Car

House Republicans failed to defund a federal “kill switch” mandate Tuesday night requiring all vehicles produced in 2026 and onward to feature technology that can automatically disable the vehicle “if impairment is detected.” This lays the groundwork for corporate and government access to monitor and interfere with personal movement.

https://thefederalist.com/2023/11/08...down-your-car/

Me thinks you are quibbling but if you write a title that I can agree to I will change it because I'm a reasonable person.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:38 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Need to get rid of the financial incentives and lower mpg requirements of larger pickups. Tired of all the "semitrucks" running around with distracted drivers.
I need a truck to tow things. I can’t do that with my M2, nor would I want to. Someone told me, without knowing I owned a truck, that no one needs those “behemoths”. How else do you bring home lumber or tow a boat or RV? Some people actually work for a living. They can’t drive around in a Corolla.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 06:55 PM   #15
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Motor Trend and The Washington Post not reliable sources? But you do you!
The WaPo is less reliable than the Babylon Bee nowadays.

This stupid device - whether you want to call it a "kill switch", drunk driving prevention device, ignition interlock, or whatever, is very real. Typical government lame reaction to a very real drunk driving problem - punish the vast majority of society who are NOT drunk drivers, in order to try to snare some of the few that are, at tremendous expense. How about just tightening up the drunk driving laws and not allowing repeat offenders back on the road so easily? That would be a good start.
      11-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #16
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I need a truck to tow things. I can’t do that with my M2, nor would I want to. Someone told me, without knowing I owned a truck, that no one needs those “behemoths”. How else do you bring home lumber or tow a boat or RV? Some people actually work for a living. They can’t drive around in a Corolla.
I'm not saying to get rid of trucks, just the incentives to make them heavier/bigger to meet mpg regulations.
      11-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #17
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0p View Post
^ Just like student loan forgiveness?
Maybe make the people who got the student loan forgiveness have this as mandatory. I paid off all of mine myself thankfully.
p0p153.00
      11-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
The mandate is among several road-safety provisions in the infrastructure bill. It also calls on NHTSA to require automatic braking for cars and the largest trucks, for a revamp of vehicle safety ratings and requiring in-vehicle alerts to help stop children from being left in hot cars.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...nfrastructure/

First it is amazing that lawmakers have voted on this when the details are not finalized but what's new.
So this would likely require you maintain internet access in your vehicle.
Expect car prices to escalate to cover this requirement.
Why would car prices escalate to cover any of this? And News Flash BMW already maintains an internet connection in the cars at no additional cost to the driver. Have done so for a decade or more now.

BMW, the only brand we care about here on this forum, already includes this stuff standard on their cars hardware wise.

I also expect BMW will implement any new functionality in a driver focused manner like they’ve done with all of their existing safety technologies.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #19
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Maybe make the people who got the student loan forgiveness have this as mandatory. I paid off all of mine myself thankfully.
As someone still paying off their student loans. I have a better idea. Let me skip paying taxes for schools I don’t have kids to send to them. Put that money towards my student loans instead.

Makes zero sense for me to pay for schools for parents who failed to factor their child’s schooling needs into their parental obligations.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #20
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Why would car prices escalate to cover any of this?
You're kidding right? From the folks that tried to charge for heated seats you think this compliance will be free. Think about the cost to BMW for all the calls from customers about their disabled car? Think lawyers will not be involved when some car shuts down on the wrong side of the tracks?

Quote:
And News Flash BMW already maintains an internet connection in the cars at no additional cost to the driver. Have done so for a decade or more now.
News Flash: For the first three years, ConnectedDrive is included with every new or relatively new BMW; after that, owners must pay a yearly fee for the service. So who pays after that, Send the bill to the government?

Quote:
BMW, the only brand we care about here on this forum, already includes this stuff standard on their cars hardware wise.
We know that's not right but you be you and get back to us in 3 years.

Quote:
I also expect BMW will implement any new functionality in a driver focused manner like they’ve done with all of their existing safety technologies.
Yes another widget on the infotainment center.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:42 PM   #21
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
"It also calls on NHTSA to require automatic braking for cars and the largest trucks"
I am 100% for automatic breaking on all vehicles. The number of twats driving around while browsing facebook or doing some other pointless shit on their phone is quite staggering. I've seen multiple people streaming videos with their phone covering the cluster recently. Automatic braking may not save every accident, but it should stop a lot of them, and minimize the damage in a lot of them.

In no way is automatic braking a "kill switch"... now, depending on how they end up implementing the impaired driving thing, that could be a kill switch. I think there's something there because drunk driving is shitty and kills a lot of people unnecessarily, but I'm not sure how you do it without obtrusive kill switch type things... for it and against it I guess... all depends on how it's implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
I'm not saying to get rid of trucks, just the incentives to make them heavier/bigger to meet mpg regulations.
What bothers me are all of the emotional support pickup trucks that middle age dads get. Never used to do anything except boost their ego.
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2023, 10:20 PM   #22
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
You're kidding right? From the folks that tried to charge for heated seats you think this compliance will be free. Think about the cost to BMW for all the calls from customers about their disabled car? Think lawyers will not be involved when some car shuts down on the wrong side of the tracks?

News Flash: For the first three years, ConnectedDrive is included with every new or relatively new BMW; after that, owners must pay a yearly fee for the service. So who pays after that, Send the bill to the government?

We know that's not right but you be you and get back to us in 3 years.

Yes another widget on the infotainment center.
BMW TeleService, emergency assist calling, among others, are included on my car for as long as technically capable. Might shock you, but that requires using the cellular connection BMW pays for in the car. They also doesn't require active ConnectDrive subscription.

Must really confuse you that BMW offers some stuff for free though... Especially features that every other make charges for...

Name:  BMW services.png
Views: 486
Size:  154.9 KB

For features BMW is mandated by either the government or the market to include they'll include them and absorb the costs. They'll charge more for the car where they don't have competitive pressure.

My MY2020 5-Series included free Blind Spot Monitoring, for instance, when in 2018 when BMW launched the 530e that was an item you had to option on. So there were many others...

Intelligent Safety works better than any other driver safety systems I've encountered. It really goes a great job of nagging you as little as possible. Expecting you're the driver and you're competent. So you don't get bings and bongs and shit flashing at you for no reason like every other car I've drive with such systems. It also offers you a great deal of control on adjusting it as well. Including a dedicated button to turn it all off and you don't have to dig through 30 menus turning off individual features or lacking an option to disable them like other makes.

I get it, you don't like the government improving safety. Some people will complain about any "regulation". Just like the fun people who complain about Helmet and Seat Belt laws and die in accidents where those would have saved them. Some people want the freedom to die. I get it.
Appreciate 0