BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

PPF shop took everything off except BMW roundels

So my car is getting ppf as we speak. The guy took all door handles, badges, taillights, side vents off but wouldnt take the roundels off and is just tucking it in. He is saying its risky to take the roundels off because they are recessed. Should I insist taking them off and just replace them with new ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:04 PM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
If he can take the side vents and the tail lights off then surely he should be able to handle the roundels. My detailer took them and the rear badges off and i supplied new ones.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
If he can take the side vents and the tail lights off then surely he should be able to handle the roundels. My detailer took them and the rear badges off and i supplied new ones.
Thats what I’m thinking. He just sent me a pic and looks like he already did the front with it tucked in under the emblem. I have to tell them to redo it I guess. I mean its not the precut stuff that goes around the emblem, they are tucking it in. But Id still prefer taking it off
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
Thats what I’m thinking. He just sent me a pic and looks like he already did the front with it tucked in under the emblem. I have to tell them to redo it I guess. I mean its not the precut stuff that goes around the emblem, they are tucking it in. But Id still prefer taking it off
If its tucked in and you cant see it then it may not be worth it to take them off. Would also be easier in the future if you need to replace a roundel. I had mine take them off because during my order the sales person forgot to check off the 50th anniversary badges and I was going to change them anyway, otherwise my PPF guy probably wouldn't have removed them for install.

On my car he only took off the door handles, the emblems and the vents (but again because I had them replaced by the CF M performance ones). They didn't take any other parts off and you cant see any seams, even around the tail lights.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13489.50
      04-20-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
If its tucked in and you cant see it then it may not be worth it to take them off. Would also be easier in the future if you need to replace a roundel. I had mine take them off because during my order the sales person forgot to check off the 50th anniversary badges and I was going to change them anyway, otherwise my PPF guy probably wouldn't have removed them for install.

On my car he only took off the door handles, the emblems and the vents (but again because I had them replaced by the CF M performance ones). They didn't take any other parts off and you cant see any seams, even around the tail lights.
I honestly wasnt expecting them to remove the taillights. But im sure he wouldnt do it if it didnt benefit them somehow. Are there any tips you want to give me in maintaining the film properly?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13489.50
      04-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #6
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
PPF job comes with a multi-year warranty. So for now if it looks good to you, just keep it the way it is, but let them know that if it starts peeling off or you have any issues in the future, you will have them redo it with roundel off. They should have no issues with it.
Bimmer07282.50
DO4441410.50
      04-20-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I honestly wasnt expecting them to remove the taillights. But im sure he wouldnt do it if it didnt benefit them somehow. Are there any tips you want to give me in maintaining the film properly?
I would ask them to advise you on detailed care instructions but there are some universal tips. Avoid auto washes. No harsh soaps or wax. When washing by hand keep the jet at a good distance away especially at the edges.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer07282.50
      04-20-2023, 08:57 PM   #8
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

With PPF, buy the installer.

Badges should come off.

If you are talking about the hood and you did the full hood, the installer probably won’t want to redo it.

Plus, there are a lot of edges so it’s mostly an appearance issue — at maybe the most visible location.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13489.50
DO4441410.50
      04-20-2023, 11:57 PM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I agree with them removing everting they removed. That’s how my car was done, and you just can’t tell from the outside of the car, without opening the door and the hood, that the car even has ppf. I swapped my roundels for the 50th and mine were tucked, but the PPF is all the way under the badge and they removed the badges, because the front emblem didn’t have 3M. It eas just held in with the rubber grommets. But, it’s flawless. Removing everything they removed, sounds like a quality install. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #10
M2GUY
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
So my car is getting ppf as we speak. The guy took all door handles, badges, taillights, side vents off but wouldnt take the roundels off and is just tucking it in. He is saying its risky to take the roundels off because they are recessed. Should I insist taking them off and just replace them with new ones?
Out of sight out of mind. FYI I tried to respond to your PM to me about spacers and it stated you couldn’t receive any messages until you clear out some of your inbox. My price for the FC spacers is 100 shipped
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:37 PM   #11
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
PPF job comes with a multi-year warranty. So for now if it looks good to you, just keep it the way it is, but let them know that if it starts peeling off or you have any issues in the future, you will have them redo it with roundel off. They should have no issues with it.
Agree with this.
The only time I’d tell someone to redo it, is if it is peeling, or not level (cut poorly), or collecting dirt and visible.

Not wrapping the edges is lame, but if it is level and basically invisible, I’d just not use that shop again and go to a different one.

Which is exactly what I had to do. I don’t hate the original shop or anything, and I’m not going to redo the entire ppf… but they don’t get anymore of my business, and that’s at least a loss of $15k for them… plus the inevitable reviews I will leave with comparison pics showing the better work from the new guys (hopefully! It’s in the shop now lol).

Shops that don’t do good work will eventually put themselves out of business, but I feel like demanding a redo of because it isn’t wrapped is kind of pushing it, unless it was specifically stated that all edges be wrapped regardless of the difficulty.

I guess I am not THAT picky about the ppf. I just want the paint protected, the ppf to basically be invisible, and to have it shine. Wrapped edges are def preferable though.
Appreciate 0