BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-10-2022, 12:25 AM   #1
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp RWD Oxide Grey

Window Tint Aftermath

I just picked my G80 from the local tint shop and as I was driving away I noticed the climate control was not functioning properly (no air coming from 3 of the 4 front vents; hot air coming out of one of the dash vents while the A/C was on). I text my tint guy asking if any moisture got on the dash as he installed the windshield tint and he replied that this does happen to cars with extra sensitive sensors and that it should clear up in a day or two. My question to you all is whether something similar has happened and whether any additional corrective action had to be taken (i.e. taking it the dealer for repairs). This is my first time having a car tinted so not sure whether this is par for the course or an unusual circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:31 AM   #2
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

How does tint possibly stop air from blowing out the vents? I’m calling shenanigans.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      05-10-2022, 12:37 AM   #3
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
How does tint possibly stop air from blowing out the vents? I'm calling shenanigans.
The issue is the copious amounts of water they spray to get the tint to adhere to the glass and the fact that it inevitably gets onto the dash or seeps into it. I'm curious if anyone who's gotten theirs tinted (particularly their windshield) has had something similar happen to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:43 AM   #4
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I didn't have this issue on the x3m or m2. I'm taking our m3 to the same shop. I hope they covered your heads up display as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:19 AM   #5
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

I’ve never had that issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
bruce911_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Never had this specific issue, however when I had my prior F82 tinted, the leather trim on the tops of the doors came back swollen with the water that was used. It took a few days to dry out and get back into shape. Luckily it didn’t leave any marks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce911_ View Post
Never had this specific issue, however when I had my prior F82 tinted, the leather trim on the tops of the doors came back swollen with the water that was used. It took a few days to dry out and get back into shape. Luckily it didn't leave any marks.
Lol. My tint guy tore the leather and burst the window seal. 4 months later and it's still not went back into shape 😢
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13488.00
      05-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #8
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
With a good tint shop they have a towel or something else that is put down
At the bottom of the windshield to collect any water.
First thing I would do is check if your vents are open.
Then go into idrive and see what the setting is for the vents
Cool air or warm air..also might want to check and see if your grille is cracked
I think there is a recall for cracked grilles
Appreciate 15
mirob3042.50
s58544.00
aX3Man202.00
kDot17388.00
adr_M3368.50
smaglik529.00
262Hou49.00
Mcc420475.00
DO4441410.50
      05-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #9
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
Cool air or warm air..also might want to check and see if your grille is cracked
Too soon...
Appreciate 4
adr_M3368.50
262Hou49.00
      05-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #10
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpizutti View Post
Too soon...
Ooooof
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #11
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Usually put an absorbent rope-like cloth where dash meets windshield. Just got mine back with no issues.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      05-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
It definitely happens. I've had 8 cars tinted at the same place. I've never had a problem, until I had my windows tinted on my 21 Accord. I got in the car, and went to drive off, and the parking sensors error came on, on the dash. I parked the car, and went and got the owner. He said, drive it for a few days, and if it doesn't right itself, then bring it back. I said "BSM is a safety issue" We talked about it, and agreed that although it fell under safety, it wasn't a requirement to be able to drive the car, safely. hundreds of millions of cars, have been driven safely, before BSM was even an option on cars. I drove the car home, parked it, in the garage, and it was off by the next morning. 8 months later, I took my M4 to the same place, and never had an issue. But it definitely does happen. I watched them tint my cars, they definitely use towels and a soak rope in the front of the dash to prevent water from getting behind the dash, it just happens.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
BA///MA97.50
adr_M3368.50
      05-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #13
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

this is what you get for chaving your car up with a probably illegally tinted windscreen lol
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      05-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #14
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
It definitely happens. I've had 8 cars tinted at the same place. I've never had a problem, until I had my windows tinted on my 21 Accord. I got in the car, and went to drive off, and the parking sensors error came on, on the dash. I parked the car, and went and got the owner. He said, drive it for a few days, and if it doesn't right itself, then bring it back. I said "BSM is a safety issue" We talked about it, and agreed that although it fell under safety, it wasn't a requirement to be able to drive the car, safely. hundreds of millions of cars, have been driven safely, before BSM was even an option on cars. I drove the car home, parked it, in the garage, and it was off by the next morning. 8 months later, I took my M4 to the same place, and never had an issue. But it definitely does happen. I watched them tint my cars, they definitely use towels and a soak rope in the front of the dash to prevent water from getting behind the dash, it just happens.
Appreciate the insight! I'm willing to give the shop the benefit of the doubt as they have been around for while and have nothing but five star reviews. They spent 12 hours tinting the car so I take him at his word when he says he is thorough and careful. I'll see what happens in the next day or so but I've made an appointment with the dealer for next week in case it doesn't clear up on its own.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13488.00
      05-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #15
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
this is what you get for chaving your car up with a probably illegally tinted windscreen lol
California state law allows for front windscreen tinting up to 70% VLT.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_M3 View Post
Appreciate the insight! I'm willing to give the shop the benefit of the doubt as they have been around for while and have nothing but five star reviews. They spent 12 hours tinting the car so I take him at his word when he says he is thorough and careful. I'll see what happens in the next day or so but I've made an appointment with the dealer for next week in case it doesn't clear up on its own.
That's your best course of action, at this point. If it doesn't correct itself, of course, further action would be required.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #17
Fortyounces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 G80 BSM

Quote:
Quote:

12 hours to tint the windows and they still drowned your dash? Yikes! May be time to find a new shop. Had my G80 done in about 2-3 hours and it was flawless.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyounces View Post
12 hours to tint the windows and they still drowned your dash? Yikes! May be time to find a new shop. Had my G80 done in about 2-3 hours and it was flawless.
The place I take my cars, is usually booked out a few weeks to a month. I dropped my car off, they had it for 5 days, to work on it, when the had free time, or if someone canceled, the car was already there. My detailer was the same way. They're booked solid, for months, and had my car for 14 days. But it was full PPF, and ceramic. Wheels off, headlights, and tail lights out. Door handles and mirrors off, spoiler off, to PPF everything in one piece.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #19
Fortyounces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 G80 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyounces View Post
The place I take my cars, is usually booked out a few weeks to a month. I dropped my car off, they had it for 5 days, to work on it, when the had free time, or if someone canceled, the car was already there. My detailer was the same way. They're booked solid, for months, and had my car for 14 days. But it was full PPF, and ceramic. Wheels off, headlights, and tail lights out. Door handles and mirrors off, spoiler off, to PPF everything in one piece.

yah, for sure on the PPF and ceramic…those are for sure not rush jobs. You must have the patience of a saint or a fleet of vehicles to hold you over. lol

Then again, think most here had their patience tested by the allocation, production and delivery process for these new M's anyway. Well glad it all worked out nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13488.00
      05-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #20
adr_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's been 36 hours and my climate control still isn't functioning. On the plus side the tint shop has agreed to cover the cost of repairs that may be necessary when I take it the dealership on Monday; I'm just hoping any repairs won't be too extensive nor require a wait for parts.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #21
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
The issue is the copious amounts of water they spray to get the tint to adhere to the glass and the fact that it inevitably gets onto the dash or seeps into it. I'm curious if anyone who's gotten theirs tinted (particularly their windshield) has had something similar happen to them.
Why would they not use a towel or some barrier is beyond me. Incredibly lazy.
I’d be less than happy about this.

Getting your car back non functional just to put in some tints is a huge NO WAY.

Seriously though.
I mean is this a thing?
You take your car in for tints and get it back broken?

What ?

Edit: I see that the shop agreed to cover costs. That’s all you can ask really. I get the world isn’t perfect but man, this seems crazy to me that some of these guys are giving cars back broke just to install some tints, and then saying let’s just see how it goes.

Hell na!
Appreciate 0