07-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Steve21M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 comp

Bmw top mount intake question.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys. Hope all is well. Just trying to get a second opinion, not that I did not trust the first, but just wanted to make sure I got 2 of them. Do any of you guys have this installed on your G80?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve21M3 View Post
Hey guys. Hope all is well. Just trying to get a second opinion, not that I did not trust the first, but just wanted to make sure I got 2 of them. Do any of you guys have this installed on your G80?

Thanks
Yes
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
Steve21M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great thank you. My question is this. I have installed a ton of intakes on cars but never BMWs. I had hellcats, track hawks, TRX and so on. All of these were done with screw clamps and always yield a strong fitment to the inlet of the TB.

My concern is this. Once the short tube is installed on the passenger side, it doesn’t seem very secure to the inlet tube of the turbo. It does not pull off, no matter how hard I pull with the clamp in place, but it has movement that makes me thing something is wrong. Again, it’s secured correctly with the snap clamp, and the gasket is inside like directed, but there is movement of the pipe if you move it back-and-forth with your hand.

I’ve heard people say this is normal, but trying to touch base with BMS and Them not having a phone number you can call , is like picking needles out of a haystack.

Thx very much
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Great thank you. My question is this. I have installed a ton of intakes on cars but never BMWs. I had hellcats, track hawks, TRX and so on. All of these were done with screw clamps and always yield a strong fitment to the inlet of the TB.

My concern is this. Once the short tube is installed on the passenger side, it doesn’t seem very secure to the inlet tube of the turbo. It does not pull off, no matter how hard I pull with the clamp in place, but it has movement that makes me thing something is wrong. Again, it’s secured correctly with the snap clamp, and the gasket is inside like directed, but there is movement of the pipe if you move it back-and-forth with your hand.

I’ve heard people say this is normal, but trying to touch base with BMS and Them not having a phone number you can call , is like picking needles out of a haystack.

Thx very much
I know what you are talking about. I ended up removing mine and reinstalling it because of that. I believe the inlet side has 2 ring indentions that the intake slides over. I suspect when I installed mine, that I was only pushed down over one of those ring indentions (first one) and locked into place. Which was a little wobbly.

When I removed mine, I checked my rubber gasket and used some spit to slide it back on. I made sure I got mine in deep enough so the clip would lock into the 2nd (lower) snap ring indentation.

Its my belief that I only had mine pushed down enough to lock into the 1st ring, not the lower 2nd one. Because I have MUCH less play in it now.

Maybe check that your gasket is on correctly and that you have pushed in onto the injet past the 2nd ring THEN use the clip to lock it in. I have the MST intake by the way.
      07-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
Steve21M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok cool. I tried it a few time and no matter how hard I pushed, it would it go any farther then the first time. Did you pull the clips back at all before install and then snap them on or so you put them all the way in the BMS tube and just push the tube on to here it secured?

Thx sir
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Ok cool. I tried it a few time and no matter how hard I pushed, it would it go any farther then the first time. Did you pull the clips back at all before install and then snap them on or so you put them all the way in the BMS tube and just push the tube on to here it secured?

Thx sir
Oh god those clips are a PITA. I lost one down in my engine bay and it took me over an hour to find it with a super magnet on a stick...lol. I was freaking out.

The OEM design allows you to pull the clips back, but they stay on the intake. Which is very nice. I have the MST intakes and they do NOT have that feature. So I slide my clips above the cutouts so that once I did place my intake on correctly, that all I had to do was push them down into the recessed cutouts that hold them in place.

You might also want to make sure you didnt accidently install the rubber ring in upside down. There is a specific way those go into the intake tubes.

When you take yours off, check to make sure your rubber ring isnt pinched up anywhere. If it is, you might have it upside down. And use lots of spit around the rubber ring before you smash it back on.
      07-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #7
Steve21M3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh yes the are. My messed up hand are proof of that. Never seen intakes with those goofy clips. They suck.

Thx for the info. I’ll try all those tricks. I was not aware the Ring can go in wrong. It says nothing about that in the instructions anywhere. WTH!!! It looked the same on all side when I first looked at it.

How does the mst fit in comparison.

Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Oh yes the are. My messed up hand are proof of that. Never seen intakes with those goofy clips. They suck.

Thx for the info. I’ll try all those tricks. I was not aware the Ring can go in wrong. It says nothing about that in the instructions anywhere. WTH!!! It looked the same on all side when I first looked at it.

How does the mst fit in comparison.

Thank you again.
I watched this video when I installed mine. Check the video around 4:40 for a shot of that rubber ring I am talking about.

I had BMS intake on my one of my 16 M4. It idled funny. Removing them, the idle was normal again. So this time around I went with MST. I have zero complaints about my MST intakes. Fit and finish is very good.