03-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #89
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _E90S65_ View Post
It's painful to see an iconic brand with so much passion and heritage get reduced to pixels, shiny veneers and "change simply for change's sake."

These designs feel cold and lifeless. I've seen kitchen appliance knobs with more soul than these interfaces.

Yes, I still use an abacus and read by candle-light. But I know what sheer driving pleasure is, and this direction ain't it.
I find this to be mildly ironic seeing as how you have an M340i listed as your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #90
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I've owned only BMWs for the last 15 years but this is terrible, do not want.

Even Audi and Mercedes are moving back from screen and flat buttons for common items to physical buttons and switches. BMW is YEARS behind the industry in realizing that people want tactile physical buttons for some things and screens for others. The true golden goose is having a set of programable buttons and dials that people can use or not use for whatever they want. BMW already owns the patent for it which is why no one else has copied it ... and they're basically throwing that away for touch screen climate controls. Welcome to 2010 BMW, you're years behind the curve.

Someone on YouTube comments said it best, "is this a fashion interface for makeup?"

Audi's latest interior:

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 03-16-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      03-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #91
InsideDK
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post

Even Audi and Mercedes are moving back from screen and flat buttons for common items to physical buttons and switches. BMW is YEARS behind the industry in realizing that people want tactile physical buttons for some things and screens for others. The true golden goose is having a set of programable buttons and dials that people can use or not use for whatever they want. BMW already owns the patent for it which is why no one else has copied it ... and they're basically throwing that away for touch screen climate controls. Welcome to 2010 BMW, you're years behind the curve.

Someone on YouTube comments said it best, "is this a fashion interface for makeup?"

Audi's latest interior:
at least BMW still have the rotating knob for navigating the infotainment system. With Audi you can ONLY navigate using touch.

That is for me much more important that a climate button.
Appreciate 2
GuyOh1064.00
heavyD^23684.00
      03-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #92
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideDK View Post
at least BMW still have the rotating knob for navigating the infotainment system. With Audi you can ONLY navigate using touch.

That is for me much more important that a climate button.
I didn't know that Audi got rid of the rotating knob.
The rotating knob seems to be a common feature in cars now as it's one of those movements that is quite intuitive - saw it most recently on a Mazda. Very similar to idrive with buttons all around the controller
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #93
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
When did we stray so far from the BMW gods of yesteryear?
Centre screen looks good, not so keen on the 'instrument cluster'. Unnecessary eye candy for me.

I am hoping this is a mock up and not how an actual dashboard will look? Looks like a stick-on black plank.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it's going to look. People need to get off Elon's d*ck and stop ruining cars with these awful iPad dash's
I wholeheartedly agree with this point. But I argue that the reason they are following the tesla design is because it is cheap to source and the design/development time is reduced. Bmw and others see cost savings.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #94
KroLeXz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I embrace BMW moving forward into a new era. I don't BMW to be associated with old school or lagging behind innovation. I know this likely rubs some folks the wrong way, stop being a boomer ;p
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #95
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post

Audi's latest interior:
That's the A3 interior. All their higher spec vehicles use the dual screens for infotainment and HVAC with no buttons. Also I keep hearing people talk about MB but all of their interiors use a setup similar to ID8 and they haven't moved away from it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #96
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroLeXz View Post
I embrace BMW moving forward into a new era. I don't BMW to be associated with old school or lagging behind innovation. I know this likely rubs some folks the wrong way, stop being a boomer ;p
I agree with moving forward and hence was really glad with the g20/g05 design, i even love the backward tachometer. But these were well thought and well integrated into the dash.
This long screen, at least in images looks bad, as well as the most of the widgets on the screen take up vertical space without actually showing anything of value
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #97
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
That's the A3 interior. All their higher spec vehicles use the dual screens for infotainment and HVAC with no buttons. Also I keep hearing people talk about MB but all of their interiors use a setup similar to ID8 and they haven't moved away from it.
That's not the A3 the image is of the E-Tron interior. Only that has the new MMI screen and HVAC buttons currently.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5043.00
      03-19-2021, 10:12 PM   #98
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Totally loving the new approach and ui! When will this make it's way to the non ugly grill M cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #99
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
That's the E-Tron GT interior.
      03-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #100
InsideDK
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Quote:
you can even see the e-tron logo over the glovebox. This is the new interior for the e-tron GT.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #101
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KroLeXz View Post
More touch screens are not innovative they are lazy. More screens with more customization, all for that.

Innovation would be to make the access to commonly used items faster without me having to look for it.

My 750 climate control has touch screens for the Heated and cooled seats, they are so close together I can never hit the right one without looking and if you hit it just right they both turn on at the same time.

The future would be instantaneous voice control not touch. But its still too slow at this point. You have to ask it, it thinks then changes. I can push a steering wheel button for volume or turn a knob for climate control faster and my eyes never leave the road.

I am a tech guy (sometimes bleeding edge so) but tech also needs to function in the environment its meant for. Full on touch is nice for self driving cars which for me defeats the fun of driving.

I will have a hard time if they remove the idrive knob, and its buttons, its so fast and easy to access, having touch as a backup is nice but it's never my first choice. My 7 has all 4, voice, touch, gesture, and the idrive/steering wheel knob. 99% of the time I am using the steering wheel knob and buttons because its the most intuitive, fastest and safest route. Voice is at least better at calling people. Still not great for Navigation.
      03-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #102
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
That's literally the interior of Audi RS e-Tron GT, their latest, highest spec vehicle. Audi is phasing out dual screens and is moving to physical climate control buttons in future models.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #103
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadjali View Post
7 Years behind Mercedes-Benz & Audi!

In 2028 BMW will introduce Vertical infotainment display that when Mercedes-Benz will introduces Hologram Infotainment System in the new S-Class
I find iDrive to be better implemented overall if not as busy as either Audi's or Mercedes. iDrive is a reason I'll stick with BMW going forward. It's my favorite system.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #104
Analyst1899
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Ugh when did round become a dirty word in design?
what kind of psychedelic drugs are these designers on?
The iDrive 8 technology looks awesome - however, the graphics they have chosen to use for conveying information to the driver is horrible. Unfortunately, BMW has opted for style over substance - they have chosen StarTrek design graphics over display graphics that quickly convey usable information. There is a reason that round dials (circular dials) have been so popular - they rapidly (instantly) convey the information to the viewer - be it fuel levels, oil pressure/temperature, engine speed or vehicle speed. They provide the information in a form that does not require the eye to decipher what it sees - simply viewing the angle of the gage needle does that. It's no different than reading the time of day on a digital versus an analog clock display. The digital display requires that I must read each number in the time display, then translate those numbers into a meaningful time of day. The analog display gives me the information about time of day instantly by simply by glancing at the two hands - the angle of the hands provides the information I need without having to read anything. BMW- wake up and AT LEAST give the driver the chance to select (to choose) a conventional round-dial display of speed (and other vehicle parameters). The round displays can and should be digital - just don't limit the selection of gage types to the fancy geometric designs you have shown us so far.

Last edited by Analyst1899; 04-25-2021 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      11-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #105
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
More touch screens are not innovative they are lazy. More screens with more customization, all for that.

Innovation would be to make the access to commonly used items faster without me having to look for it.

My 750 climate control has touch screens for the Heated and cooled seats, they are so close together I can never hit the right one without looking and if you hit it just right they both turn on at the same time.

The future would be instantaneous voice control not touch. But its still too slow at this point. You have to ask it, it thinks then changes. I can push a steering wheel button for volume or turn a knob for climate control faster and my eyes never leave the road.

I am a tech guy (sometimes bleeding edge so) but tech also needs to function in the environment its meant for. Full on touch is nice for self driving cars which for me defeats the fun of driving.

I will have a hard time if they remove the idrive knob, and its buttons, its so fast and easy to access, having touch as a backup is nice but it's never my first choice. My 7 has all 4, voice, touch, gesture, and the idrive/steering wheel knob. 99% of the time I am using the steering wheel knob and buttons because its the most intuitive, fastest and safest route. Voice is at least better at calling people. Still not great for Navigation.
There should be two versions of iDrive 8: One with buttons and this version. This double screen looks cheesy as the technology probably won’t age well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #106
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

Maybe I'm reaching - but I'm hoping the final version of iDrive8 which makes it on to the LCI G20 and the new 5 series is a more integrated version without the screens sticking out on both sides - and with some basic knobs for temp and sound to go with the dual screens.

If we can all pretty much agree the dual screen looks ugly and an afterthought - then I'm sure BMW would have gotten the same feedback from their pilot / market test teams.

We should find out by Spring next year when more pictures come to light - but if things stand as they do today and the screens look like they do in the demo pictures - I'll pass, thanks.

Back to Audi !
Appreciate 0