BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-14-2023, 02:39 AM   #23
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupeskew View Post
That's weird. What would you not be able to get the M Drivers Package if you got the sunroof? They offered it on my 2024 convertible M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
That weight saving is compared to a regular aluminum roof. The sunroof adds about 30-40 pounds, to the worst possible place to add weight, the roof of a car.

You also can not spec M driver's package with a sunroof and are now hard limited to 155 MPH top speed as BMW deems the car unsafe to go faster because of the air pressure exerted on the glass top and all the movable parts.
30-40 extra pounds to the car? Sounds like good incentive for me to loose weight

I also found it interesting that the convertible is deemed ok to drive fast but not the sunroof…I’m sure one is the engineers in the group could help me understand. Is it the glass itself may shatter from the force? But the aerodynamic structure is held even with the soft top?

Last edited by Ezra168; 12-14-2023 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 03:26 AM   #24
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

The carbon roof definitely looks the business and I get quite a few compliments. I'm also 6'6" so definitely appreciate the headroom - but if I were to order a custom spec car, I'd order the sunroof personally. I love the extra light and airflow, every modern car i've owned has had one and there are days I do miss it.
Appreciate 2
OtoPA383.50
      12-14-2023, 04:10 AM   #25
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by godunovs65 View Post
Most of G8x M3 and M4 in the US come stock with a carbon-reinforced roof. One has to add a $0 option to get a sunroof. According to the documentation, the weight saving is only 3.3lbs or 1.5kg. But it's stiffer for track-driven cars. I don't drive on track, so preordered one with a sunroof to have a possibility to let more light in when there's a desire. My question for people who don't track their M3/4, are you getting sunroofs or prefer the carbon? And why?
I went with carbon roof on my order. Like others stated, it stands out and with other carbon extra you can get in the car makes a nice match. I’ve had sunroofs on 95% of my cars I’ve owned but I’ve never really cared for them so I haven’t missed it on this car. It’s all preference. I also always just have this thought that one day in a rainstorm they will all eventually leak but that’s pretty unlikely for a new car.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 05:21 AM   #26
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

I'm 6'2 with a sunroof and still have like 4+ inches to the roof. I love it and use it every day. I do some track work but hardly get anywhere near 155. But you can just tune it and remove the limiter. Will the glass shatter at 180+? Not sure. Maybe tilting it would prevent the shattter.

Has anybody with a tuned sunroof car gone over 155?

My X drive car weighs around 4000 on the scales with a 1/2 tank of fuel and +- stuff in the trunk. No carbon seats or CCBS.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 05:31 AM   #27
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Buy what you want. Unless you strip the weight out of the car and track it, there is zero chance you feel the difference. I chose the carbon roof because I think it’s cool and I wanted to see it, but also headroom. I am 6’2 with long torso and any extra headroom I can get I will take.

Will I miss the sunroof? Yes. Life is all about compromises. I got the light interior to make up for it and it works. So, I am happy with my compromise.

You may take a hit on resale, but again, buy what YOU want not for the next owner.
Cutting the weight of the car will not have the same feeling. The weight of the sunroof is all the way on top. Exactly were you don't want it. I don't understand it's even an option on an M car, let alone people who get one.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:13 AM   #28
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe10 View Post
Cutting the weight of the car will not have the same feeling. The weight of the sunroof is all the way on top. Exactly were you don't want it. I don't understand it's even an option on an M car, let alone people who get one.
Because it's a car based on a sedan or sporty coupe, not a dedicated track car.

If we are talking about a Corvette, GT3, McLaren, Lambo, yeah sure I get it. In this car? Don't kid yourself.
Appreciate 2
nalnass118.50
      12-14-2023, 06:16 AM   #29
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Because it's a car based on a sedan or sporty coupe, not a dedicated track car.

If we are talking about a Corvette, GT3, McLaren, Lambo, yeah sure I get it. In this car? Don't kid yourself.
Exactly.. "based on". But it's not. It's a 90% different car with different components. You really think they would place a carbon roof on the car if it was not functional. It's a lot of money for M devision.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:57 AM   #30
godunovs65
Private
Rep
Drives: Infiniti, G37S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra168 View Post
I love sunroofs and my Z doesn’t have one and I’ve missed it, so I’ve ordered mine with a sunroof too. I don’t plan to track mine either. I will say, another negative would be you can’t have a sun roof and the M driver’s package. However, if you are like me and don’t live near the autobahn and aren’t going to track it….likely you won’t be driving over 155mph anyways…
I'm exactly like you. I'll tell you more. I won't be driving over 79mph. Thank you for sharing your opinion!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:05 AM   #31
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
"According to the documentation, the weight saving is only 3.3lbs or 1.5kg"

Completely wrong.

That weight saving is compared to a regular aluminum roof. The sunroof adds about 30-40 pounds, to the worst possible place to add weight, the roof of a car.

You also can not spec M driver's package with a sunroof and are now hard limited to 155 MPH top speed as BMW deems the car unsafe to go faster because of the air pressure exerted on the glass top and all the movable parts.

Think about it, it's a zero cost option. The carbon roof is more expensive for them to make than a regular metal sunroof.
You're right! I didn't read the full sentence "The use of a CFRP roof produces a weight saving of 3.3 lbs compared with the standard steel roof
on the G20/G22." A 30-40 lbs weight increase makes more sense. And the extra cost for the carbon roof adds a lot more in value. All true.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:10 AM   #32
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
You lose 2-3 inches with the sunroof If your 6’3” or taller it may be an issue. I prefer the CF roof. I would also worry that in 6 years the sunroof would start leaking. BMW sunroofs over the years have been somewhat problematic. It’s imperative to ensure all the drain holes are always clean. Those that keep their cars outside should check more often.
All valid points. A solid CF roof won't leak. I don't keep the car outside at all times, but it's designed to be outside a lot. I'm 5'11.5" so pretty close to that roof, but still not hitting it. I test drove both carbon and sunroof. Thanks for the warning about those drain holes!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:12 AM   #33
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The CF roof is the best feature on this car. Its also a relatively rare item in modern cars and it instantly symbolizes that this is an M car and not a regular 3 series.
True that it symbolizes the M3/4 series. I didn't think about it that way. It falls into the "class" feature category if you put it that way. But as long as you don't pay for it, it is not a non-justifiable expense.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:17 AM   #34
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcarbon View Post
all the cars that I have owned with a sun roof I had never used.
agreed on that it looks so much better in carbon.
Plus, sports cars should not have a moon roof, sun roof, or any other nonsense like that
That's exactly why I posed the question!
I have a sunroof but only opened the screen a few times in 13 years and always closed it shortly after opening. Not the glass even. Just the screen. Makes one think.
I will have to disagree on the sports car sunroof statement. 911 has it. It's a Gran Turismo attribute.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:23 AM   #35
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I was one of the early orders in 2021, and I ordered mine with a sunroof.

In 65,000 miles, I've had 3 memorable regrets. Two times on the track, when I hit the cutoff, else I could have been faster on the back straight.

And one time, in the middle of Nowhere, WV on a 4-lane highway (2 each way), separated by a median, where you could see for miles down a long straight, caravanning with a bunch of fast friends (Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris and such), I was quickly left behind when I reached the cutoff...and they all soared off to 190+.

In 65,000+ miles, I've had 3 instances where I missed it. All other times I've driven my car, whether the sunroof is open or not, I've been 100% happy that I chose a sunroof. I love all the light, and love to use the tilt to let a little air in.

So, except for 3 times in 2.5 years, I would have missed ordering the sunroof, daily.

My hunch is most M owners rarely travel above 155 mph, so making the sunroof decision based on the few times one may want to crest 155 mph is probably silly.

BMW says structural rigidity above 160 mph was weakened with the sunroof in the G8X, so they capped the speed limit. Must be car-specific because other manufacturers like Porsche and Mercedes have sunroof options and the top speed still soars above 185 mph+. Hmmm...

Plus, my PPF shop convinced me to add a carbon fiber wrap to the roof to match all my other carbon fiber package bits (as my plan was to just keep it body-colored), and it came out great. Hec, many people, including the dealer, thought I cut a sunroof into my factory C/F roof.
Thank you for sharing your photos and your opinion! Definitely worth ordering the sunroof. It may have saved your life those three times too. I live in the DC area, we get plenty of light all year long, so I understand you completely. Also, I was puzzled by the first picture. I thought it was a carbon roof with a sunroof. Where did you get that done?
Appreciate 1
nalnass118.50
      12-14-2023, 07:25 AM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe10 View Post
Exactly.. "based on". But it's not. It's a 90% different car with different components. You really think they would place a carbon roof on the car if it was not functional. It's a lot of money for M devision.
I never said it didn't make a difference. I said "most people can't feel it". If you think that you can tell the difference, more power to you. I can guarantee you that greater than 90% of the people who drive the car either can't tell or won't ever be in a situation where it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #37
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Buy what you want. Unless you strip the weight out of the car and track it, there is zero chance you feel the difference. I chose the carbon roof because I think it’s cool and I wanted to see it, but also headroom. I am 6’2 with long torso and any extra headroom I can get I will take.

Will I miss the sunroof? Yes. Life is all about compromises. I got the light interior to make up for it and it works. So, I am happy with my compromise.

You may take a hit on resale, but again, buy what YOU want not for the next owner.
All fair points. Resale hits are inevitable, but the roof will hardly make a difference in 5 years when the price drops the most. But you don't lose if you don't sell. It may go up in price in 20 years if well kept. Especially, with 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #38
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Loved the sunroof in my F82 and E90, and my E46 M3 was a convertible. That extra wind in the hair feeling is delightful! Wish a sunroof was offered in my G81 (sadly no CF roof either).

These are already heavy cars, even if you did track the car I can't see any way you'd notice the difference.

The CF roof looks cool and might make the car a bit easier to shift down the track, but if you like sunroofs I say go for it!
Fair answer. Thank you! Even if you choose to open the sunroof a few times in a few years, it'll be there for you. It's a bit harder when you don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:33 AM   #39
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
I have the sunroof on my M4. I don't like the CF black roof with IOMG. Also I use it quite a bit to let the sun shine in.
That's another reason I am leaning towards the sunroof. A black roof looks weird with any color that's not black. I forgot to include that, but it's very important. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      12-14-2023, 07:36 AM   #40
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godunovs65 View Post
That's another reason I am leaning towards the sunroof. A black roof looks weird with any color that's not black. I forgot to include that, but it's very important. Thank you!
Dude, a little forum etiquitte: use the multiple quote icon to respond to multiple posts in one response instead of making a new post for each response. It's the little +" to the right of the big box that says QUOTE

Thank you, and welcome!

Again I say....buy whatever the hell you want. If you want a sunroof for whatever reason, please do not feel the need to justify your purchase to anyone here. Just be aware on resale it will be a small bit less desirable, especially on private party. But otherwise, like I said above, buy what you want, not for the next owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 07:37 AM   #41
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
I went with carbon roof on my order. Like others stated, it stands out and with other carbon extra you can get in the car makes a nice match. I’ve had sunroofs on 95% of my cars I’ve owned but I’ve never really cared for them so I haven’t missed it on this car. It’s all preference. I also always just have this thought that one day in a rainstorm they will all eventually leak but that’s pretty unlikely for a new car.
I see your point. M3/4's roof does stand out from other cars. It's a good change to have a carbon roof after having them all your life. You can make a subjective comparison after a few years.
Appreciate 1
snyder268149.50
      12-14-2023, 07:44 AM   #42
Niko1Devynios
BMW N00b
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

I plan to track it and I'm 6'4", so it was always going to be CF for me. Like others, I am a firm believer in eschewing the sunroof on sports cars.

Getting an X3 of some variety soon and will get a moonroof on that, however.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #43
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I never said it didn't make a difference. I said "most people can't feel it". If you think that you can tell the difference, more power to you. I can guarantee you that greater than 90% of the people who drive the car either can't tell or won't ever be in a situation where it makes a difference.
I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were saying that If you get a sunroof, and cut some weight, it would be the same. My bad.

I do agree most people would never feel a difference. I did feel a difference at the track when I drove my friends car, but only slightly in terms of balance.

Just to be clear: he had a sunroof. I have a CF roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #44
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerum View Post
I'm 6'2 with a sunroof and still have like 4+ inches to the roof. I love it and use it every day. I do some track work but hardly get anywhere near 155. But you can just tune it and remove the limiter. Will the glass shatter at 180+? Not sure. Maybe tilting it would prevent the shattter.

Has anybody with a tuned sunroof car gone over 155?

My X drive car weighs around 4000 on the scales with a 1/2 tank of fuel and +- stuff in the trunk. No carbon seats or CCBS.
You're right, the roof isn't that low even with the sunroof. I can see how a roof with a hole in the middle is not rigid for fast turns if the whole car is designed to have a CF roof. No comparison to 911, it's a different design. The CF roof's rigidity compensates for the rest of the car's construction. I'm sure the glass will shatter with a non-zero probability if they say so. Sunroof is nice! And you get the same color roof as the rest of the car too.
Appreciate 0