BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-05-2023, 07:39 PM   #177
iLLGT2
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive

I respect your words but i absolutely do not agree...

Dont want to keep reiterating same thing in post to post however i have a manual 991.2 gt3, had 997.2 gt3 rs, i also have a track setup RUF GT2 and 997 GT2 both heavily modified...

My m3 x drive front end is as sharp, active as any of the 3 and id say like my amg gtr in how it turns in and feels thru the wheel.... I think it's stiffer than my gt3 actually

The m3 to me has a stiff chassis, amazing turn in and front end grip as well as overall grip with 0 understeer in really twisty backroads, spring summer into freezing winter here in NY

I am so impressed with the M and its absolutely a sports car !

I think yes its underwhelming on flat, straight roads where you cant even being to tap into the cars potential (like when i took delivery of it in florida) and i ny with the rough roads i get tons of vibrations and feedback through the wheel...

your 718 will feel lighter, more pointy for sure but IMO drive 10 10th's in both and the limits and capability in the M3 will be infinitely higher and thats comparing it to my gt3... the grip is bonkers and telepathic , my gt3 has to work so much more in the front end with the inherent mid corner push and dynamics out of the box.

these are just my rambling thoughts based on my ownership
Appreciate 3
jmg18705.00
m.dreamin1610.00
FTS387.50
      04-05-2023, 08:35 PM   #178
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
I respect your words but i absolutely do not agree...

Dont want to keep reiterating same thing in post to post however i have a manual 991.2 gt3, had 997.2 gt3 rs, i also have a track setup RUF GT2 and 997 GT2 both heavily modified...

My m3 x drive front end is as sharp, active as any of the 3 and id say like my amg gtr in how it turns in and feels thru the wheel.... I think it's stiffer than my gt3 actually

The m3 to me has a stiff chassis, amazing turn in and front end grip as well as overall grip with 0 understeer in really twisty backroads, spring summer into freezing winter here in NY

I am so impressed with the M and its absolutely a sports car !

I think yes its underwhelming on flat, straight roads where you cant even being to tap into the cars potential (like when i took delivery of it in florida) and i ny with the rough roads i get tons of vibrations and feedback through the wheel...

your 718 will feel lighter, more pointy for sure but IMO drive 10 10th's in both and the limits and capability in the M3 will be infinitely higher and thats comparing it to my gt3... the grip is bonkers and telepathic , my gt3 has to work so much more in the front end with the inherent mid corner push and dynamics out of the box.

these are just my rambling thoughts based on my ownership
Well, you certainly have the chops there to make definitive statements so I will defer to you on what the car is.

As I’m driving more I’m not sure I agree with everything I said either. The car is very quick and the steering actually feels pretty agile to me now, I agree. But I do agree with others also that it feels like it leans more towards muscle car than traditional sports car, probably due to weight and size. I’m not a car expert by any means, very much a “this is how it feels to me” guy.

And again, I fully admit I’m only driving this car at like 3/10ths. So, I again defer to you an other’s explanations that the car changes at the limit. I don’t doubt that at all. I can feel the difference myself just cruising and then giving it the beans.

The car is so, so fast… but it’s never going to feel light and quick on it’s feet imo (which is not to say that it won’t scream around a track, I’m talking feelz here).

I think my primary motivation for writing that was simply how it feels to sit in the drivers seat, and that’s really a function of it being a sedan and not… a mid engine 2 door Porsche.

When you compare what I was comparing it against, it was not a very fair comparison.

For a sedan that comfortably seats 5, and even against many bonafide sports cars, this car is amazing. I agree with much of what you wrote. I have nothing but compliments for the G80.

It’s fun to debate the category of car it belongs in though, because the m3 has evolved and I’m not entirely sure what it “is”.

But, it’s absolutely a blast to drive.
No question.

I have no qualms calling this the best passenger vehicle I’ve ever drove. I don’t race and appreciate your input. Anyone who reads the thread should listen to you more than me as you clearly have more experience in the drivers seat with a lot of cool cars!

Oh, also… yes the m3 blows the 718 out of the water in what it can do. The 718 is just fun. It’s just a really cool car to be piloting, but in no way does it come close to the capability of the m3. Totally agree.

More impressive 718 models I’m sure change that equation but I only have a base.

Edit: also likely to play a role, the seats. I specifically did not option the cf buckets on purpose. I wanted max comfort for this car. I’ve no doubt the cf bucket seats play a big role in how sporty it feels to drive and I should have thought of that before posting, the seats and driving angle are huge for me. I’m actually glad I got the comfort seats. I love em, but I can see other people who have the cf buckets thinking I’m crazy because I imagine those push the driving feel quite a bit more towards sport/race.

It’s a great car regardless.
Thanks for all the input and appreciate the feedback, made me think twice!
Appreciate 2
m.dreamin1610.00
iLLGT222.50
      04-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #179
iLLGT2
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Well, you certainly have the chops there to make definitive statements so I will defer to you on what the car is.

As I’m driving more I’m not sure I agree with everything I said either. The car is very quick and the steering actually feels pretty agile to me now, I agree. But I do agree with others also that it feels like it leans more towards muscle car than traditional sports car, probably due to weight and size. I’m not a car expert by any means, very much a “this is how it feels to me” guy.

And again, I fully admit I’m only driving this car at like 3/10ths. So, I again defer to you an other’s explanations that the car changes at the limit. I don’t doubt that at all. I can feel the difference myself just cruising and then giving it the beans.

The car is so, so fast… but it’s never going to feel light and quick on it’s feet imo (which is not to say that it won’t scream around a track, I’m talking feelz here).

I think my primary motivation for writing that was simply how it feels to sit in the drivers seat, and that’s really a function of it being a sedan and not… a mid engine 2 door Porsche.

When you compare what I was comparing it against, it was not a very fair comparison.

For a sedan that comfortably seats 5, and even against many bonafide sports cars, this car is amazing. I agree with much of what you wrote. I have nothing but compliments for the G80.

It’s fun to debate the category of car it belongs in though, because the m3 has evolved and I’m not entirely sure what it “is”.

But, it’s absolutely a blast to drive.
No question.

I have no qualms calling this the best passenger vehicle I’ve ever drove. I don’t race and appreciate your input. Anyone who reads the thread should listen to you more than me as you clearly have more experience in the drivers seat with a lot of cool cars!

Oh, also… yes the m3 blows the 718 out of the water in what it can do. The 718 is just fun. It’s just a really cool car to be piloting, but in no way does it come close to the capability of the m3. Totally agree.

More impressive 718 models I’m sure change that equation but I only have a base.

Edit: also likely to play a role, the seats. I specifically did not option the cf buckets on purpose. I wanted max comfort for this car. I’ve no doubt the cf bucket seats play a big role in how sporty it feels to drive and I should have thought of that before posting, the seats and driving angle are huge for me. I’m actually glad I got the comfort seats. I love em, but I can see other people who have the cf buckets thinking I’m crazy because I imagine those push the driving feel quite a bit more towards sport/race.

It’s a great car regardless.
Thanks for all the input and appreciate the feedback, made me think twice!
Seeing what you wrote about 3/10th and break in, i mean it all makes sense... the car dances 9-10/10's so beautifully and balanced, what ive always loved about M chassis... the engine can also live in the upper rev range and feels linear in the revs, you have to get past break in and get more miles and seat time in...

I don't disagree with how you feel in break in and just from an overall perspective at this moment, just driving around normally and semi spirited because the cars limits and chassis are SO DAMN HIGH now... its like many modern day cars that are increasing mechanical grip, tech, evolving tire technology... its meant to grip and not necessarily be playful
992 GT3 compared to my 991.2 GT3 and its not THAT big of an evolution is just that, 992 a tad less analog, a tad less playful and Chris Harris said the same thing and sold his 992 gt3 and kept his 991gt3...

Again i understand how you feel at this point in time mainly because when I got my m3 again in south florida , during break in, i thought man this car is pretty boring and just feels luxury.... its so misunderstood but i guess pretty amazing that it can do both so beautifully, right? That is what its meant for afterall

Just wait until you dial it all the way up.. another thing i didnt mention is how beautiful the chassis/suspension control performs and behaves when going fast down lets say a hilly, rough terrain. I haven't gone into the stiffest suspension setting set because honest the sport plus setting right before it is really stiff as is , and it keeps you going in a straight line while eating everything up in the road instead of being bounced around ... I notice on big crests with speed the front end stays planted like on rails , the suspension hardly has any lift and settle, i guess part of the development at the Nurburgring !!

Anyway im excited to see how you grow into the M and hear your updated impressions .. We already know Porsches drive great (and not without their inherent issues either) they are far far far from perfect... I spent a year on and off the track perfecting my RUF GT2's Moton suspension and GT3 cup goodies.... sometimes they are a nightmare to setup and have so many finicky nuanced characteristics. But they certainly are connective experiences !

In conclusion, give it more time and data-log in your head...
Also, I see it as you have the best of both worlds.. you love your 718 for that agile go kart thrill, and you have your luxury sports sedan with high capability yet can putt around comfortably as well!! Great two options

PS, in terms of the g80 agility as mentioned, again, get it in some tight corners and hustle it it dances beautifully and with confidence !!
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-06-2023, 05:10 PM   #180
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Seeing what you wrote about 3/10th and break in, i mean it all makes sense... the car dances 9-10/10's so beautifully and balanced, what ive always loved about M chassis... the engine can also live in the upper rev range and feels linear in the revs, you have to get past break in and get more miles and seat time in...

I don't disagree with how you feel in break in and just from an overall perspective at this moment, just driving around normally and semi spirited because the cars limits and chassis are SO DAMN HIGH now... its like many modern day cars that are increasing mechanical grip, tech, evolving tire technology... its meant to grip and not necessarily be playful
992 GT3 compared to my 991.2 GT3 and its not THAT big of an evolution is just that, 992 a tad less analog, a tad less playful and Chris Harris said the same thing and sold his 992 gt3 and kept his 991gt3...

Again i understand how you feel at this point in time mainly because when I got my m3 again in south florida , during break in, i thought man this car is pretty boring and just feels luxury.... its so misunderstood but i guess pretty amazing that it can do both so beautifully, right? That is what its meant for afterall

Just wait until you dial it all the way up.. another thing i didnt mention is how beautiful the chassis/suspension control performs and behaves when going fast down lets say a hilly, rough terrain. I haven't gone into the stiffest suspension setting set because honest the sport plus setting right before it is really stiff as is , and it keeps you going in a straight line while [...]
Thanks for the post!
I’ll def take that advice.
Appreciate 0