BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Experiencing the long crank starts

Hey all,

I’ve had my G80 about a month now, 870 miles.

I’ve been experiencing the long crank starts when engine is at temp like several other folks here. A few people have had a bad fuel injector and spark plug replaced which solved the problem.

I brought in the vehicle to my local dealership today for the spark plugs to be looked at. I also have the break in service scheduled two weeks for now when I’ll be around 1200 miles after a small trip next weekend.

The dealership couldn’t find any fault codes, couldn’t replicate the issue, and said everything was fine. They refused to pull the spark plugs because they wouldn’t get paid under warranty.

While they were at it, they did my break-in service without asking.

Two questions — should I start a case with BMW Corperate regarding the long crank issue?

Will having the break in service done at 870 miles cause any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Sounds to me that the dealer isn't doing their due diligence to troubleshoot the issue.
I'd suggest another dealer if you have other dealers in your area, which may be a problem unless you're in Nashville.
As for the break-in service performed earlier, you should be fine.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Sounds to me that the dealer isn't doing their due diligence to troubleshoot the issue.
I'd suggest another dealer if you have other dealers in your area, which may be a problem unless you're in Nashville.
As for the break-in service performed earlier, you should be fine.

Good luck!
Good to know regarding the break in service.

Yeah, I’m in Nashville. I purchased from Chattanooga and the sales manager said he’s talking to his service team to see what they can do.

After speaking with the service manager at Nashville he said bring it back if it long cranks again and they’ll look at the spark plugs on their dime.

Service tech tried to tell me the break in service could fix the long crank because of the “software update” they do with the break in service. Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-12-2023, 11:35 PM   #4
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post

Yeah, I’m in Nashville. I purchased from Chattanooga and the sales manager said he’s talking to his service team to see what they can do.

After speaking with the service manager at Nashville he said bring it back if it long cranks again and they’ll look at the spark plugs on their dime.

Service tech tried to tell me the break in service could fix the long crank because of the “software update” they do with the break in service. Sounds like a load of bullshit to me.

Sounds like they have zero interest and zero knowledge.
Appreciate 1
beamlord431.00
      04-13-2023, 05:16 AM   #5
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:

My advice stands, make the effort and take the car to the dealership where you bought it.
This alone "they will do it on their dime" thing sounds super fishy and I would never go for that. The whole case is clearly a warranty issue and should be treated as such formally from the very beginning.
Not partially good will, not on their dime, nada.
Otherwise, this may be ground for BMW later on to refuse follow-up warranty service on that, or God knows what else they can come up with.

Last edited by beamlord; 04-13-2023 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Allerum315.50
      04-13-2023, 06:35 AM   #6
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Hey all,

I’ve had my G80 about a month now, 870 miles.

I’ve been experiencing the long crank starts when engine is at temp like several other folks here. A few people have had a bad fuel injector and spark plug replaced which solved the problem.

I brought in the vehicle to my local dealership today for the spark plugs to be looked at. I also have the break in service scheduled two weeks for now when I’ll be around 1200 miles after a small trip next weekend.

The dealership couldn’t find any fault codes, couldn’t replicate the issue, and said everything was fine. They refused to pull the spark plugs because they wouldn’t get paid under warranty.

While they were at it, they did my break-in service without asking.

Two questions — should I start a case with BMW Corperate regarding the long crank issue?

Will having the break in service done at 870 miles cause any issues?
Like others have said, that's so odd. Any and all work that car needs under 50k miles is a warranty bill. Unless it's deemed abuse or something. They should be looking to diagnose the problem so they can bill warranty for it.
Appreciate 2
beamlord431.00
2011ninja3396.00
      01-25-2024, 07:54 PM   #7
borrego4026
Rep
Drives: White 135i n54

Any solution on OPs problem? I have a G87, practically the same drive train with similar issue. Vehicle currently has 1500 miles and will have occasional long crank with no fault codes and dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. It usually happens when vehicle sits for a few hours to a day, when starting it’ll take a few extra seconds to start. It seems similar to what older BMW were doing when they were having injector or fuel pump issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:39 PM   #8
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego4026 View Post
Any solution on OPs problem? I have a G87, practically the same drive train with similar issue. Vehicle currently has 1500 miles and will have occasional long crank with no fault codes and dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. It usually happens when vehicle sits for a few hours to a day, when starting it’ll take a few extra seconds to start. It seems similar to what older BMW were doing when they were having injector or fuel pump issues.
He never came back in to report. So I’ll assume the problem went away.

Slightly long crank won’t set a code. If it’s a fuel pump, pressure regulator or injector letting the fuel pressure slowly bleed off. This would require manual testing.
You would have to leave the car at the dealer a day or two. They would have to have a pressure gauge on the fuel system and see there was zero pressure when the start sequence started. The pressure would build while cranking until at pressure. Then the injectors would be able to work and the car would start.

I’m old and fuel pressure may be able to be watched with a diagnostic tool now. But same process applies.

I had a similar issue years ago and it took forever to find a slightly cracked AN fuel fitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:41 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego4026 View Post

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1940488
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:57 PM   #10
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Reading through that it seems like bad injectors were the most common diagnosis.
Other technicians just threw a whole new fuel system at it until it went away. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:17 AM   #11
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

Report that line of BS to BMW USA and open a case. The dealer has no business touching your car if the tech is that brain dead. Elevate this or the dealer will continue be pathetic. Premium brand it is so take no prisoners as the dealer is NEVER your friend with such pathetic advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:15 AM   #12
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Sounds to me that would be extremely dangerous if you were using the
'Auto Start/Stop' and had a small window to pull out and merge into traffic.

Sounds like a law suit if an accident happened because of it. That is , if you were still alive.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:59 AM   #13
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Does it smell like fuel under the hood?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #14
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
I've had this issue for 6k miles now. My dealer has checked the car once and told me there's nothing wrong and I'll be fine. I've been slowly documenting it with videos so I can hopefully get some movement at my next service. If they still say no, I'm going to go to BMW NA.
Appreciate 1
PipeM3196.00
      01-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #15
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
I've had this issue for 6k miles now. My dealer has checked the car once and told me there's nothing wrong and I'll be fine. I've been slowly documenting it with videos so I can hopefully get some movement at my next service. If they still say no, I'm going to go to BMW NA.
Which issues specifically? The long start or more than that? Always? Sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:34 AM   #16
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I experienced the long crank for around two weeks and it went away one day under 1000 miles on the odometer. I would smell gasoline when it happened.

Service tried on two occasions to repeat the issue with no luck. The tech monitored the cylinders to look for misfires but all the cylinders were firing perfectly.

I ended up trading it in around 8000 miles, but the issue never came back. I’m curious follow this thread though to see how it shakes out for others. I was always convinced something wasn’t quite right because it would often act starved/choked for fuel when I depressed the clutch pedal when coming to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:34 PM   #17
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
Which issues specifically? The long start or more than that? Always? Sometimes?
Long start. It's pretty infrequent, maybe 1 in every 10 starts? Car runs normally otherwise so I'm not too worried, but I'm still going to push for it to be fixed.
Appreciate 0