BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-26-2024, 06:40 AM   #89
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Interesting that most of the people on here advocating manual transmission are from North America, where it is a bit of a novelty.

Is it because of the unusual/ novelty factor?

Having spent my entire life in the UK driving MT BMWs, I have an M4 Comp on order, and MT is not even an option here any more, not that I’d have ordered it anyway, as AT is the way to go for me.

Funny that a country where most cars are AT have a small group advocating MT, and those of us in the UK used to MT are resigned to the fact the Auto is now the future.
Novelty certainly might be part of it--always wanting what one can't have and all that. But it's not a new phenomenon by any means. The E60 M5 had a manual version developed exclusively for the US market, and not sold anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, we're also resigned that Auto is now the future, and that's likely part of the reason for the Manual's popularity here. One major factor driving my purchase is that he G80 will wind up being the last RWD manual sedan ever made by anyone.

Appreciate 1
Tobster3630.50
      01-26-2024, 08:12 AM   #90
Vernmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru wrx - M3 awaiting produ

[QUOTE=ScottC25;30846110]Interesting that most of the people on here advocating manual transmission are from North America, where it is a bit of a novelty.

Is it because of the unusual/ novelty factor?

Having spent my entire life in the UK driving MT BMWs, I have an M4 Comp on order, and MT is not even an option here any more, not that I’d have ordered it anyway, as AT is the way to go for me.

Funny that a country where most cars are AT have a small group advocating MT, and those of us in the UK used to MT are resigned to the fact the Auto is now the future.

I live in the US. Most of the cars I’ve had have been manuals. I’ve just always found them fun to drive. It’s not a novelty for me just what I really enjoy.

Honestly one of the main reasons I’m getting an M3 is I can still get it in a manual. I know the AT is a little faster. But this car will be my daily driver and I just want a great car to enjoy driving. For me a manual is a big part of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:20 AM   #91
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

MT is about control and connection with the car
Appreciate 3
bri10425940.00
MT6722.00