home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

09-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
[Video] G80 w/ CS Transmission Code - Exhaust (Short Review + E92/F80 Comparison)

I've had a DCT car since my 2011 335is, and the *one* thing that irked me when I moved to the G80 was the automatic transmission. It's not "bad" by any means, and it's always been super quick on upshifts and when driving at speed, but downshifts/engine braking just always seemed super lazy. You're coming to a stop in S3, downshift, and the car just lazily sends the revs up a bit and burbles. Honestly, when I made the move, I was missing the DCT so much (and among other reasons, since I've always wanted an e92), when an opportunity presented itself to get into a new-to-me e92, I jumped... and I fell in love with both cars.

I recently had the CS transmission coding done (only the transmission), and what. a. difference! While it still doesn't feel like a DCT, the car finally gives that nice downshift "blip." The CS coding isn't perfect, especially in the most aggressive setting, there are times when the car will seriously jerk either on an upshift or a downshift, but I've found that there is a bit of a learning curve and once you find out the proper shift points based on speed, braking/accelerating, etc., the transmission smoothes out immensely. The car is simply more fun to drive. ... especially with a car that reaches illegal, or even "go straight to jail" speeds so quickly, the more aggressive transmission coding allows for more enjoyment at slower speeds, so you don't need to really push the car to get the aggressive driving feels.

Now on the stock exhaust, in general. Honestly, it's fine. In comfort, it's quiet, but it absolutely opens up in Sport+. I would argue that it is a much nicer tone than the F80. It's not as loud, but the F80 (with valves open) was honestly a bit obnoxious and too loud for real "daily" driving (just my opinion). There is still some "rasp" especially on a cold start, with the G80, but I think it has a nice tone when the car warms up. Especially with all of the noise regulations, and the fact that the car is a TT I6, I'm not sure what is out there that is much better, stock.

So, without further adieu, here is a short video - driving/exhaust POV with the OEM CS transmission coding.

Now... if you want a REALLY good sounding exhaust, and a real DCT... here is my e92, equipped with a Dinan Free Flow Axle Back Exhaust

And for a direct comparison to a TT I6, my old F82, stock exhaust, but valves "forced" open. VERY loud, nicer downshifts than the G80 (but nothing like the e92)!

Thanks for reading, watching, etc.!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 3
      09-13-2023, 02:22 AM   #2
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

The E90 M3 will alway be music to my ears. And the S55 (unless you have an equal length mid pip) will always been a substantial let down from an nice audio perspective. Glad the CS TCU re-flash did wonders & sounds like much crisper shifts all the way around...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144503.50
KevinGS3389.00
      09-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
The E90 M3 will alway be music to my ears. And the S55 (unless you have an equal length mid pip) will always been a substantial let down from an nice audio perspective. Glad the CS TCU re-flash did wonders & sounds like much crisper shifts all the way around...
The CS coding absolutely makes a difference. But, you’re right, nothing beats the e9x!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2023, 01:03 PM   #4
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
The CS coding absolutely makes a difference. But, you’re right, nothing beats the e9x!
Keeping mine until it dies, and I'm thinking about getting another one and just storing it away, because the prices, for the most part, haven't soared yet.
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Keeping mine until it dies, and I'm thinking about getting another one and just storing it away, because the prices, for the most part, haven't soared yet.
If you’re referring to the e9x, I absolutely think this model will be a “unicorn.” Keeping mine as well, which I bought new-to-me this year with 77,xxx miles on it (I don’t drive too much though, so miles will only steadily increase especially since I have the G80 as my main daily). Made sure to do rod bearings and valve covers ASAP, so hopefully just standard maintenance required down the line!
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3389.00
      09-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #6
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
If you’re referring to the e9x, I absolutely think this model will be a “unicorn.” Keeping mine as well, which I bought new-to-me this year with 77,xxx miles on it (I don’t drive too much though, so miles will only steadily increase especially since I have the G80 as my main daily). Made sure to do rod bearings and valve covers ASAP, so hopefully just standard maintenance required down the line!
Sorry, yes, I have a 2013 E93, with 150,000 miles, bought used in 2017.

And I drive it all the time.

Seriously considering adding an E92, maybe with a supercharger, as more of a weekend, toy car.
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144503.50
      09-14-2023, 10:59 AM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Sorry, yes, I have a 2013 E93, with 150,000 miles, bought used in 2017.

And I drive it all the time.

Seriously considering adding an E92, maybe with a supercharger, as more of a weekend, toy car.
Very nice! Always nice to hear about higher mile examples still running strong! How’s the vert top doing?

I’ve heard good things about the supercharger kits too!
Appreciate 0