BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #1189
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Possibly and probably already been asked and answered. How do you feel about someone speeding on the highway lets say in excess of 100+mph but it's completely empty and theyre the only car out there. Would you be more lenient such as lowering the speed on the ticket or maybe even letting them off with a warning?

Pure curiosity as i've had friends in similar situations doing 120+ and the cop let them off with a warning
It definitely depends on where the speeding occurred and the attitude of the person once I've contacted them. The accidents at 100+ mph are really gnarly. I'm talking decapitations, body parts strewn all over the freeway, etc.
Appreciate 3
vreihen162778.00
Smgs1992398.50
Murf9935225.50

      10-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #1190
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10471
Rep
8,643
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It definitely depends on where the speeding occurred and the attitude of the person once I contacted them. The accidents at 100+ mph are really gnarly. I'm talking decapitations, body parts strewn all over the freeway, etc.
BUT, no injuries.


I'll see myself out now
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan6978.00
Murf9935225.50

      10-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #1191
Smgs1992
Captain
399
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Cincinnati ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It definitely depends on where the speeding occurred and the attitude of the person once I contacted them. The accidents at 100+ mph are really gnarly. I'm talking decapitations, body parts strewn all over the freeway, etc.
Definitely no where crowded we have 3lane highways here that are pretty straight.
In the circumstances id assume no other cars or anyone to injure. I definitely have heard some horror stories about gnarly wrecks though.
Assuming theyre respectful and dont try to run. Also if they have their ccw and are carrying would that have any influence one way or another?
__________________
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #1192
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It definitely depends on where the speeding occurred and the attitude of the person once I contacted them. The accidents at 100+ mph are really gnarly. I'm talking decapitations, body parts strewn all over the freeway, etc.
Definitely no where crowded we have 3lane highways here that are pretty straight.
In the circumstances i’d assume no other cars or anyone to injure. I definitely have heard some horror stories about gnarly wrecks though.
Assuming theyre respectful and dont try to run. Also if they have their ccw and are carrying would that have any influence one way or another?
Not at all. I'm pro-2A! While there aren't many people with CCW's in LA County, there are tons in San Bernardino/Orange/San Diego/Kern counties. I ran across them much more with the California Highway Patrol than I do now that I'm with the Sheriff's Department.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #1193
MisterF80M3
Captain
MisterF80M3's Avatar
581
Rep
825
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Not at all. I'm pro-2A! While there aren't many people with CCW's in LA County, there are tons in San Bernardino/Orange/San Diego/Kern counties. I ran across them much more with the California Highway Patrol than I do now that I'm with the Sheriff's Department.
How do they let you know they have a CCW? Do they usually hand you their CCW license along with their driver's license and registration?
__________________
2018 BMW F80 ///M3
Appreciate 1
vreihen162778.00

      10-29-2020, 12:02 AM   #1194
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Not at all. I'm pro-2A! While there aren't many people with CCW's in LA County, there are tons in San Bernardino/Orange/San Diego/Kern counties. I ran across them much more with the California Highway Patrol than I do now that I'm with the Sheriff's Department.
How do they let you know they have a CCW? Do they usually hand you their CCW license along with their driver's license and registration?
Most CCW permit holders are pretty good when it comes to interactions with law enforcement. They roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights at night, roll down all windows and keep their hands on the steering wheel. They usually have their driver's license, vehicle insurance and CCW in their hand. By the time I get to the window they have everything prepared. They advise me of their valid CCW and where the firearm is located. If it's on their person, sometimes I don't bother pulling them out of the car. Other times I will pull them out of the vehicle, remove their weapon and check the serial numbers to ensure they match. I holster it back up and continue on with my contact.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #1195
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
4652
Rep
1,588
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Most CCW permit holders are pretty good when it comes to interactions with law enforcement. They roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights at night, roll down all windows and keep their hands on the steering wheel. They usually have their driver's license, vehicle insurance and CCW in their hand. By the time I get to the window they have everything prepared. They advise me of their valid CCW and where the firearm is located. If it's on their person, sometimes I don't bother pulling them out of the car. Other times I will pull them out of the vehicle, remove their weapon and check the serial numbers to ensure they match. I holster it back up and continue on with my contact.
So from your told point of view its more clever to let the cop know from the beginning, that Im (legally) armed?
Or just show the complete papers and let him determine by the CCW license?
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan6978.00

      10-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #1196
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Most CCW permit holders are pretty good when it comes to interactions with law enforcement. They roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights at night, roll down all windows and keep their hands on the steering wheel. They usually have their driver's license, vehicle insurance and CCW in their hand. By the time I get to the window they have everything prepared. They advise me of their valid CCW and where the firearm is located. If it's on their person, sometimes I don't bother pulling them out of the car. Other times I will pull them out of the vehicle, remove their weapon and check the serial numbers to ensure they match. I holster it back up and continue on with my contact.
So from your told point of view its more clever to let the cop know from the beginning, that Im (legally) armed?
Or just show the complete papers and let him determine by the CCW license?
Well both. They have the documentation and they tell me they are armed. They also tell me where the firearm is located.
Appreciate 2
vreihen162778.00
Dang3r4652.00

      10-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #1197
vreihen16
Lieutenant
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
2778
Rep
562
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
In New York State, we are not legally compelled to inform law enforcement that we are carrying CCW unless specifically asked. There is a surprisingly large sentiment among CCW holders that they should not volunteer this information. My thought is to always hand over my CCW with my driver's license, even if I'm not carrying at the time. The vetting process to get an unrestricted CCW in New York State is insane, and merely having the card is a pretty good indicator that the holder is not a huge threat to the officer.

If I were writing the police license/warrant search computer system, you can bet that I would have it pop up in big, red, flashing letters that a person had a CCW per the state's database. Don't know if their real-life system does this, but it seems like only bad things can happen if an officer finds out from the computer and not during their initial contact. Plus, if you don't inform, they ask you to get out of the car, and discover your CCW, you will probably wind up at the business end of about six officer's service weapons within 30 seconds of a call for backup.

The way that I see it, nothing good can come from not voluntarily informing the officer of your CCW.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 20K miles
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan6978.00

      10-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #1198
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
In New York State, we are not legally compelled to inform law enforcement that we are carrying CCW unless specifically asked. There is a surprisingly large sentiment among CCW holders that they should not volunteer this information. My thought is to always hand over my CCW with my driver's license, even if I'm not carrying at the time. The vetting process to get an unrestricted CCW in New York State is insane, and merely having the card is a pretty good indicator that the holder is not a huge threat to the officer.

If I were writing the police license/warrant search computer system, you can bet that I would have it pop up in big, red, flashing letters that a person had a CCW per the state's database. Don't know if their real-life system does this, but it seems like only bad things can happen if an officer finds out from the computer and not during their initial contact. Plus, if you don't inform, they ask you to get out of the car, and discover your CCW, you will probably wind up at the business end of about six officer's service weapons within 30 seconds of a call for backup.

The way that I see it, nothing good can come from not voluntarily informing the officer of your CCW.....
100% agree. I find it really stupid not to tell an officer you are carrying, ESPECIALLY considering we can (...and often do) pull people out of the car for no reason at all to pat search for weapons. Finding a gun on someone who didn't disclose it is going to result in that person having a bad day. At the very least they will be detained in cuffs in the back of a patrol car pending investigation. At worse, that person will have guns aimed in their direction. It really is stupid CCW culture to hold a position of withholding information from law enforcement.

California residents aren't compelled to disclose, but they are recommended to do so. I pat search for weapons much of the time......and often at random. People need to realize an officer needs no justification at all to pull people out of vehicles to pat search for weapons. If I find a gun on somebody legally able to carry and who didn't disclose, I'm going to be pissed. I will have a mouthful of shit to say. It's a stupid way to put yourself in a position to get shot.
Appreciate 2
vreihen162778.00
Dang3r4652.00

      10-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #1199
wcr3d
Captain
408
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

How do you feel about out of state concealed carry permits?
I understand that they are not recognized state to state but how does the “typical “ officer handle such an encounter?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan6978.00

      10-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #1200
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
How do you feel about out of state concealed carry permits?
I understand that they are not recognized state to state but how does the "typical " officer handle such an encounter?
I wouldn't recommend carrying. While I personally think we need reciprocity, carrying here without a permit will land you in jail (...and your gun will become evidence in the case against you). It's just not worth it.
Appreciate 2
wcr3d408.00
vreihen162778.00

      10-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #1201
wcr3d
Captain
408
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I understand that but I also feel that is the time to carry the most.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #1202
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I understand that but I also feel that is the time to carry the most.
I'm not arguing the spirit behind it. Conceal carry for law abiding citizens should be granted in every state without all of the legal hoops. I just don't think it's worth risking your freedom (...and picking up a misdemeanor or felony weapons charge) should you decide to visit the state.
Appreciate 3
wcr3d408.00
scostu1517.00

      10-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #1203
Smgs1992
Captain
399
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Cincinnati ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
So from your told point of view its more clever to let the cop know from the beginning, that Im (legally) armed?
Or just show the complete papers and let him determine by the CCW license?
In Ohio it is the law that whether you are carrying or not if you have a CCW you need to disclose that info to the officer at earliest possible moment.
__________________
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan6978.00
Dang3r4652.00

      10-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #1204
wcr3d
Captain
408
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm not arguing the spirit behind it. Conceal carry for law abiding citizens should be granted in every state without all of the legal hoops. I just don't think it's worth risking your freedom (...and picking up a misdemeanor or felony weapons charge) should you decide to visit the state.
As I said I understand, just needed to vent I guess.
We should either reciprocate or create a national permit.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede10471.00
Sedan_Clan6978.00

      10-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #1205
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10471
Rep
8,643
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
As I said I understand, just needed to vent I guess.
We should either reciprocate or create a national SHALL ISSUE permit.
FTFY

I work in support of LEO, I've been backgrounded and watched all the time for violations, but my county sheriff won't issue me one. Even when I was nightly carrying cash from the little league snack bar, through some of the worst part of the county (for crime) and still, I couldn't get one.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan6978.00
wcr3d408.00
vreihen162778.00

      10-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #1206
Smgs1992
Captain
399
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Cincinnati ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
FTFY

I work in support of LEO, I've been backgrounded and watched all the time for violations, but my county sheriff won't issue me one. Even when I was nightly carrying cash from the little league snack bar, through some of the worst part of the county (for crime) and still, I couldn't get one.
I wonder if you could file a lawsuit if there is no legitimate reason to deny you
__________________
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #1207
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
FTFY

I work in support of LEO, I've been backgrounded and watched all the time for violations, but my county sheriff won't issue me one. Even when I was nightly carrying cash from the little league snack bar, through some of the worst part of the county (for crime) and still, I couldn't get one.
I wonder if you could file a lawsuit if there is no legitimate reason to deny you
People have already done that. Some cases are still currently being fought in court.....such as the San Diego case; I believe it's Becerra v San Diego or Becerra v U.S.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #1208
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
10471
Rep
8,643
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
People have already done that. Some cases are still currently being fought in court.....such as the San Diego case; I believe it's Becerra v San Diego.
Current State Attorney General Becerra, I presume

Opps, read that wrong. Plaintiff comes first. Never mind
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #1209
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
6978
Rep
17,029
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
People have already done that. Some cases are still currently being fought in court.....such as the San Diego case; I believe it's Becerra v San Diego.
Current State Attorney General Becerra, I presume

Opps, read that wrong. Plaintiff comes first. Never mind
I know there was the Peruta case as well. There are many.

P.S.I believe the Becerra case is over high capacity magazines.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #1210
wcr3d
Captain
408
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
FTFY

I work in support of LEO, I've been backgrounded and watched all the time for violations, but my county sheriff won't issue me one. Even when I was nightly carrying cash from the little league snack bar, through some of the worst part of the county (for crime) and still, I couldn't get one.
I guess that is part of the problem, here they go through the state police.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST